A Scandalous Countess (Malloren, #12)

A Scandalous Countess (Mallorens & Friends #12)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  415 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Lady May is back. And so is the scandal that sent her tumbling from her position as the toast of London, when her husband, the Earl of Maybury, was killed in a duel. Even a year of mourning hasn't quieted the rumors of her infidelity.

Georgia Maybury is determined to regain her position in the beau monde, but a scarred ex-naval officer threatens her plans...
Mass Market Paperback
Published February 7th 2012 (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Scandalous Countess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Scandalous Countess

The Rebel's Promise by Jane GodmanOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Raven Prince by Elizabeth HoytWicked Intentions by Elizabeth HoytThese Old Shades by Georgette Heyer
The 18th century Romance List
47th out of 184 books — 128 voters
The Rebel's Promise by Jane GodmanThe Raven Prince by Elizabeth HoytWicked Intentions by Elizabeth HoytScandalous Desires by Elizabeth HoytThe Serpent Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt
Georgian Romance (1714 - 1810)
65th out of 262 books — 144 voters

More lists with this book...

Terra
For nostalgia's sake and because I sorta liked the hero, I upped this from 1 to 2 stars. I have loved so many of Jo Beverley's books. Especially the earlier Mallorens. This one didn't capture me. At all. I seriously disliked the heroine from the beginning. I kept reading. I actually enjoyed the hero and was disappointed when I reached page 134 and realized I didn't like him enough to endure anymore of Lady May's arrogant blabbering. Here is what did me in:
Lord Dracy is taken aback by her beauty...more
Susan
Very good book. At the beginning, I didn't care much for Georgia. She was selfish and spoiled, and intent only on finding a new husband that would keep her in style. I did like Dracy from the beginning. He was determined to bring his estate back from ruin, and had a plan to make it happen. When Georgia's father comes to him and offers his daughter in marriage, he is tempted. Not just for the money, but for Georgia herself. Georgia has been tasked by her parents to help Dracy fit in - she knows n...more
Elis Madison

Georgia was 16 when she married her childhood friend Dickon, Earl of Maybury. She’s become the darling of the beau monde (the male half, at least), known for her daring and flirtatious ways. She’s true to her husband, though, who adored being the envy of his pals.

In one fatal morning, now 20-year-old Georgia is widowed and the new earl drop-kicks her and her dowry back to her father, the Earl of Hernescroft. It's whispered that the fatal duel was fought over her. She retires to her father's cou...more
Dabney
In 1763, England passed a law fixing the minimum age for marriage at 16, with parental consent needed for anyone under 21. During the Georgian Period, the average age of marriage was 27. Teenage brides were anomalous. One can understand why when reading Jo Beverley’s latest novel, A Scandalous Countess. Her heroine, Georgia, is just twenty and after almost three years of marriage, a widow.

Georgie was an immature bride — she was wed to a neighbor three years her senior when she was 16 — and is an...more
Li
What I love about Jo Beverley's writing is the way she incorporates historical detail into the story - it's so richly drawn and yet she doesn't do info-dropping. I thought this was a realistic romance - Georgia and Dracy really worked as a couple and the way they worked out the obstacles to their HEA was believable. I admit to thinking the villain was a bit OTT, though. And because I'm a Malloren fangirl, I did like the cameos by the Mallorens - especially Rothgar.
Virginia
I couldn't relate or care about either of the main characters. I didn't believe the family, the setup, or the people. Skip this one, folks.
I always feel like a wittier person when I finish one of Jo Beverley's romances.
Mary Kay
This is more a 2.5, but it's not the usual Jo Beverley quality.
Tishke
The plot is very similar to Slightly Dangerous by Mary Balogh.
Maria
I reviewed this book for Night Owl Reviews - Rated 4.75 Stars

Lady May returns!

Falling from her position as the “toast” of Georgian society because of her husband’s death has been hard for Georgia, the Countess of Maybury. Even a year of mourning hasn’t silenced the rumors that her infidelity led to her husband’s death in a duel. It’s a scandal that doesn’t want to go away.

While Georgia has plans to regain her footing in the beau monde, Lord Dracy has plans to restore Dracy Manor to its former g...more
Amy Gideon
I actually rate this about a 3.75, but since it's not an option I round up.

Great writing and world building as usual, but not my favorite heroine. While I thought she was a well developed character it was hard to really sympathize with her. At times she could come off us superficial and thoughtless, which I do recognize as a plot driver. However, this made it difficult to really like her in the 1st half of the book.

As the story progresses she matures and becomes a more sympathetic character albe...more
Janet
I'll go out on a limb and say this is more like 4 1/2* -- Jo Beverley is back in fine form. I checked off the cabin-romance and road-trip-romance shelves because once Dracy and Georgia met, they really weren't separated again. Lots of echoes of Beverley's I've liked, like another widow that was very popular with the ton (Skylark). The tension between a daughter and her powerful parents reminded me of Hazard. A Scandalous Countess was so enjoyable, I'd like to go back and read the book that prece...more
Lady May really pissed me off.

She actually really didn't change. And I felt like our hero had valid reasons for not marrying her and probably should not have.

With that being said, the story line goes something like this :

Lady May is married to her young lover, they're a bit "trendy" aka they are comfortable with the other one either cozying it up with another partner at a ball, or spending all night out and rarely have meaningful conversations.

Unfortunately we start the book of with Lady May los...more
Nadine Jones
grrrr hate when that happens - I had the review all typed out, hit the wrong key, and mysteriously the screen went back two pages and lost all my typing. Too lazy to re-type. Suffice it to say: I liked but did not love this book. There is a certain detachment and formality to it that kept me from being drawn in. The big reveal towards the end had been blindingly obvious for hundreds of pages.

Plot summary: Lady May (widow of Lord Maybury, killed in a duel) has finished her year of mourning, and h...more
Cindy
A solid 3 star. An enjoyable, if slightly dull read. Dull meaning it felt like I read it before with some slight alterations.

I really liked Dracy. He's a sinister looking man, with his badly scarred side of his face from combat on a war ship. He's really a nice guy who's low on cash, trying to build up his run down estate.

Georgia is another story. She's likable, but very young to be already widowed at 19. She's high spirited, which ALWAYS gets her in trouble & she has to learn a lesson a...more
Charty
I enjoyed this one quite a bit, the heroine starts out a sort of flighty society matron but over the course of the book is allowed to grow and show her more mature side. The hero's side bet with the father could have been terrible, but the author wisely simply uses it to put the two into each other's orbit and let's it (smartly) fall away. I'd be interested to see a sequel and whether these two somewhat mismatched pair could indeed build a happy life together.
Charlene
As others have noted, this book is nowhere near the quality of the earlier Malloren novels. A couple of the illustrious family members are brought in to keep the claim, "A New Novel in the Malloren World," from being false advertising. This may seem an uncharitable sentiment on my part, sorry.

The villain was not a surprise, and it seemed a real shame to kill off the nice young man at the beginning of the story. Of course, both he and his teen wife were naive and ought not to have been married an...more
Ilze
Lovely, lovely read. Hero to die for and a delightful heroine who grows from a carefree, careless hoyden into a much wiser woman over the course of the story. Yes, the villain is pretty obvious fairly soon into the story, but the author had the sense to grant some intelligence to her characters, who also figure out what's going on well before the end of the book. However, they still have to deal with the problem, so the remainder of the book revolves around that (and the romance itself, of cours...more
Mary Lauer
I am not sure I can stand to read the rest of the book about Georgia. Despite the author trying to convince the reader there is more to her than shallow fluff, I haven't seen if yet. I do like Dracy tho, can't wait to see more (literally!) of him. Also, for about the last 3-4 Malloren books, Jo B. has really had a bee in her bonnet about women's rights in the 18th century. Not something we can fix retroactively, unfortunately.

Finished the book. Figured out the villain way too early. Plot very re...more
Barbara
It has been recommended that this series be read in order. I always read a series in order. Almost always. I accidentally read Secrets Of The Night (Malloren, #4) first. Then, I picked this one up intending to read just a few pages to see what it was like and ended up finishing it.

The series is called "Malloren and Friends." This book was part of the "and Friends. The Mallorens only appeared at a few social functions and so it was not necessary to have read their stories first.

The growth of the...more
Anna May
I usually enjoy all books by this author but this time around I couldn't warm up to the heroine. I tried to like her but she was shallow, without any real thought in her head. Even she tried to be kind and act with heart, it felt more like an act.

No, I couldn't like her at all which made enjoying the book kind of hard. I did adore her hero. He was, as always, a very excellent character.

I would still recommend to buy this book because she is a good author who spins a good tale. But from all her b...more
Sara
While I love Jo Beverley exceedingly (everyone knows this), her last few books have been... faltering. Especially in the character development department. And while I could have done with a bit more backstory on Dracy, my biggest complaint about this book is that Dracy (spelling-wise) looks a lot like Darcy, and I kept misreading it.
While I did figure out the villain pretty early on, this book didn't really rely on being a mystery, so it didn't matter much.
At any rate, Jo Beverley is back in to...more
Melissa
I liked this book and the ending.
I found the book took forever to get interesting and to the main action. The end moved along quickly, much of the action and plot could have been more evenly spread throughout the chapters.
I also noticed a few grammatical errors, such as the word "he" when it should have been "her".
I don't like to be judgmental because I am certainly not perfect when it comes to grammar and punctuation.
I love this author and will continue to read all of her books.
Samatha Delancy
This was my first Jo Beverley i was not inprest. I will try another one day. Did you know that you dount have to put in ever detale about ever thing and ever one around them. The story was a goodish one. Just to much detale. It was nice that u know that chick dig skares. Butter luck with me next time. Over all sumare less detales in cothing, hear, and over all ferasing. More detale would have be nice in the last chapter it fell faet.
Elizabet Luna
Awesome ending.
Krissy
Just couldn't get into this one. I honestly tried but just couldn't do it :( This was a definite "skimmer"(i.e. I just skimmed through the book). This was my first Jo Beverley book and I am unsure if I will try another one. If you know a better book of hers then please, by all means, recommend one to me. I am willing to give her a second chance.
Julie
The first half of the book I wanted to strangle the main female character because she was such a spoiled brat. She did not dramatically change by the end, but she was slightly less annoying. I really wasn't invested in many of the characters in this book. This is the second of Beverly's books that I was really not impressed by.
Stephanie
While the disfigured war hero and the young widow make for an interesting plot line, as characters, they are not particularly likable. "A Scandalous Countess" is rather ponderous and slow moving, and the action in the story, to me, read like a device of the scandal and mystery of the plot, not the romance.
Diane K. Peterson
3.5 Stars. I enjoyed this book, but it really was dragged out in places. I liked the H and h. The plot was OK (don't like crazy villians). BUT there seemed to be a lot of superfluous information and conversation. Not the most satisfying read.
Karyn Gerrard
2.5 stars round up to 3 stars.

Another scarred hero, the book lost steam for me unfortunately and I found it sagged in the middle. Still and all, Jo Beverley is a great writer and this was a solid, satisfactory read.
  • The Famous Heroine / The Plumed Bonnet
  • The Duchess Diaries (The Bridal Pleasures, #3)
  • The Bride Wore Pearls (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #3)
  • The Devilish Montague (Rebellious Sons, #2)
  • By Grace Possessed (The Three Graces, #2)
  • An Unsuitable Bride (Blackwater Brides, #3)
  • The Black Hawk (Spymasters, #4)
  • Trouble at the Wedding (Abandoned at the Altar, #3)
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • The Revenge of Lord Eberlin (The Secrets of Hadley Green, #2)
  • Bride by Mistake (Devil Riders, #5)
  • Persuasion (the Spymaster's Men #2)
  • A Lady Never Lies (Affairs by Moonlight, #1)
  • Kissing Comfort
  • My Wicked Little Lies
  • If I Fall (The Blue Raven, #4)
  • A Duchess to Remember (Ministry of Marriage, #3)
  • The Surrender of Miss Fairbourne (Fairbourne Quartet, #1)
Mary Josephine Dunn was born 22 September 1947 in Lancashire, England, UK. At the age of eleven she went to an all-girls boarding school, Layton Hill Convent, Blackpool. At sixteen, she wrote her first romance, with a medieval setting, completed in installments in an exercise book. From 1966 to 1970, she obtained a degree in English history from Keele University in Staffordshire, where she met her...more
More about Jo Beverley...
My Lady Notorious (Malloren, #1) An Arranged Marriage (Company of Rogues, #1) An Unwilling Bride (Company of Rogues, #2) Something Wicked (Malloren, #3) Devilish (Malloren, #5)