Start by marking “Windcatcher” as Want to Read:
Windcatcher

Windcatcher

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  372 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Tony can hardly believe it. He's sailing with the wind, maneuvering through the narrow channels between the offshore islands with amazing skill. And he'sjust learned to sail! But suddenly Tony is confused. Which way had he come? Which way is he headed? And who are the mysterious couple with the high powered motor boat who are to busy searching beneath the water to answer h ...more
Published September 1st 1992 by Perfection Learning (first published January 1991)

Laura Verret
In 1777, His Majesty’s ship the Swallow foundered on the deadly rocks which surrounded an unidentified island. The Swallow and its entire cargo – which included an iron chest filled with the payroll from General Burgoyne’s army – was lost. Only one of its crew members survived.

Two hundred years later, Tony Souza yearns to purchase a motor scooter with the three hundred dollars he made delivering newspapers at six o’clock every morning. But, being four years shy of the fifteen year old limit for
Tony
Apr 23, 2011 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avi- Windcatcher (Avon Books 1992) 3.75 Stars

Tony has just bought his first small sailboat and he is going to stay with his grandma for a couple of weeks to learn how to sail. While out sailing he comes across a couple in a motorboat hunting for a long lost treasure. Curiosity gets the better of him, and he finds himself following the couple around. When he finds himself lost and confused out in the water, the couple is too busy searching for their treasure to help him. Will he ever find land? O
Fred Kohn
This was all right, I guess, but I've gotten used to expecting better from Avi. Since a boat was involved, I was hoping for some of the excitement of The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, but this didn't come close.
Joe
Jan 28, 2016 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avi does a great job of writing a believable young boy who doesn't realize how naive he is in his search for treasure. The trouble he gets into is not overdone, and the mystery he is trying to solve feels probable. The ending is a disappointment for character and also the reader, but it suits the story.
Gina
A young boy learns to sail while visiting his grandmother on the Connecticut coast. He also tries to solve a mystery about a hidden treasure from an old shipwreck.
Becky
Oct 31, 2015 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice read with my sixth grader. He was supposed to choose and action/adventure book. It was interesting, and I liked it, but there wasn't a lot of action/adventure.
Xuenan
Jul 22, 2015 Xuenan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good book for international students to learn English, every school has a ESL class should have this book!!!
Greg
Feb 19, 2014 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a kid so I don't remember it very well, but I'll read it sometime. It was really good I recommend it.
Terri
May 22, 2015 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read with a jr. high book club. We liked it but all felt like the story had a few gaps.
Elise
Jan 17, 2016 Elise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good little story. Simple to read, good little plot.
Amna Gillani
Nov 29, 2014 Amna Gillani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
A decent read
Meg
Sep 29, 2007 Meg rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sailing-fiction
Avi is a weird dude, the book is meant for the young but has no depth at all. Not very mysterious for a mystery.

Avi obviously does NOT know how to sail, based on comments like "His teacher told him to come about. He pushed the tiller away and she said 'No! the other way!'"

Supposedly the kid learns enough in two lesons to take this boat out alone in the ocean, now that is the true mystery.
Matt
Oct 23, 2013 Matt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
the book was not very intortaning because the mane carictor is just wind surfing. tony was inoying it seemes in the book. It seemed like he is just sitting around all day. i feel like doing something else insteed. if I was the ather I'd make tony do more athletic stuff. but one of the things i liked is windsurfing. there should be more heroic and saving and romantic seance for tony. i would of improved
Victor Vilchiz
Dec 07, 2015 Victor Vilchiz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young
it left me hanging... not cool man.
Jjfoster
Jul 17, 2015 Jjfoster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely want this one for my library. Great book!
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 5099 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 4.0 - AR Pts: 3.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, LS, VP
Keith
Jul 25, 2011 Keith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book and I will definitely use it as a recommendation to boys at my library. It's got adventure, treasure, danger but is set in a real life situation so it feels like it is about every boy. You'll want to go sailing after reading it!
Junessa
Nov 04, 2011 Junessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good AVI adventure but the ending is a little less than satisfying. I would have liked to have more answers at the end. It has a story line that is easy to follow and nice excitement but not scary so I'd say it's good for ages 9+.
Patricia
Audio book. Must be juvenile fiction. I expected more. However, what kid does not like the idea of looking for treasure? Just for myself, I would have ranked it two stars but for juvenile fiction I would rank it 3.
Alissa
Jan 20, 2011 Alissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Avi is a great author but I am always left wanting more. This book felt like he wrote the first half of the story, got bored with it and just ended the book. I was hoping for more...
Sally
Jun 14, 2011 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An 11 year old gets a sailboat to use while staying with his grandma in Connecticut and learns about himself as he learns how to sail. Good story with a good moral--typical Avi.
Aven
Jul 26, 2010 Aven rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since I've read this book. Seems like I didnt like it when I read it. Can't remember what the book was about though. Guess it didn't make an impression on me.
Jen
Jan 02, 2013 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-chapter
Disappointing. I usually love Avi, but this book didn't live up to my expectiations. It had great potential, but it seemed thrown together, and the end was abrupt.
Dylan Ontiveros
Sep 30, 2014 Dylan Ontiveros rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kristina Marie
Dec 07, 2012 Kristina Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2012
Cute story with great narration (George Guidall). I especially like how it ended differently than I thought it would. Good for kids of all ages.
MacKenzie
Not interesting enough to keep me hooked...it's about a boy who tries to find a wrecked ship before 2 other people also searching for it.
Abby
I read it in like 4th grade, so I really don't remember it that well. The only thing I can remember is that the ending is really good!
Kristin
This book was the bane of my fifth-grade existence. I guess I'm just not big on books about survival or the sea.
Tiffiny
Dec 19, 2009 Tiffiny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ryan and I listened to this one. It was a little slow to start but we really liked it after all.
Cinda
Jun 28, 2011 Cinda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This part adventure, part mystery would appeal, I think, to boys who like survival stories.
  • Trouble River
  • The Islander
  • The Mystery of Drear House (Dies Drear Chronicles, #2)
  • The World's Great Speeches
  • Six Plays: Peer Gynt / A Doll's House / Ghosts / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • Throwing Shadows
  • The Boy Who Owned the School
  • Two-Minute Mysteries
  • On Golden Pond
  • Great Love Poems
  • Shakespeare's Spy (Shakespeare Stealer, #3)
  • Who Killed Mr. Chippendale?: A Mystery in Poems
  • Into the Dream
  • King of Shadows
  • Rewind (Watchers, #2)
  • Dracula's Heir
  • The Little Lame Prince
  • Come Sing, Jimmy Jo
Avi is a pen name for Edward Irving Wortis, but he says, "The fact is, Avi is the only name I use." Born in 1937, Avi has created many fictional favorites such as The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Nothing but the Truth, and the Crispin series. His work is popular among readers young and old.
More about Avi...