Windcatcher

Windcatcher

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  259 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Tony can hardly believe it. He's sailing with the wind, maneuvering through the narrow channels between the offshore islands with amazing skill. And he'sjust learned to sail! But suddenly Tony is confused. Which way had he come? Which way is he headed? And who are the mysterious couple with the high powered motor boat who are to busy searching beneath the water to answer h...more
Published September 1st 1992 by Perfection Learning (first published January 1991)

In 1777, His Majesty’s ship the Swallow foundered on the deadly rocks which surrounded an unidentified island. The Swallow and its entire cargo – which included an iron chest filled with the payroll from General Burgoyne’s army – was lost. Only one of its crew members survived.

Two hundred years later, Tony Souza yearns to purchase a motor scooter with the three hundred dollars he made delivering newspapers at six o’clock every morning. But, being four years shy of the fifteen year old limit for...more
Tony
Avi- Windcatcher (Avon Books 1992) 3.75 Stars

Tony has just bought his first small sailboat and he is going to stay with his grandma for a couple of weeks to learn how to sail. While out sailing he comes across a couple in a motorboat hunting for a long lost treasure. Curiosity gets the better of him, and he finds himself following the couple around. When he finds himself lost and confused out in the water, the couple is too busy searching for their treasure to help him. Will he ever find land? O...more
Greg
I read this as a kid so I don't remember it very well, but I'll read it sometime. It was really good I recommend it.
Meg
Avi is a weird dude, the book is meant for the young but has no depth at all. Not very mysterious for a mystery.

Avi obviously does NOT know how to sail, based on comments like "His teacher told him to come about. He pushed the tiller away and she said 'No! the other way!'"

Supposedly the kid learns enough in two lesons to take this boat out alone in the ocean, now that is the true mystery.
Matt
the book was not very intortaning because the mane carictor is just wind surfing. tony was inoying it seemes in the book. It seemed like he is just sitting around all day. i feel like doing something else insteed. if I was the ather I'd make tony do more athletic stuff. but one of the things i liked is windsurfing. there should be more heroic and saving and romantic seance for tony. i would of improved
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 5099 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 4.0 - AR Pts: 3.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, LS, VP
Keith
I really liked this book and I will definitely use it as a recommendation to boys at my library. It's got adventure, treasure, danger but is set in a real life situation so it feels like it is about every boy. You'll want to go sailing after reading it!
Junessa
Another good AVI adventure but the ending is a little less than satisfying. I would have liked to have more answers at the end. It has a story line that is easy to follow and nice excitement but not scary so I'd say it's good for ages 9+.
Patricia
Audio book. Must be juvenile fiction. I expected more. However, what kid does not like the idea of looking for treasure? Just for myself, I would have ranked it two stars but for juvenile fiction I would rank it 3.
Alissa
Avi is a great author but I am always left wanting more. This book felt like he wrote the first half of the story, got bored with it and just ended the book. I was hoping for more...
Sally
An 11 year old gets a sailboat to use while staying with his grandma in Connecticut and learns about himself as he learns how to sail. Good story with a good moral--typical Avi.
Helen
It's been a while since I've read this book. Seems like I didnt like it when I read it. Can't remember what the book was about though. Guess it didn't make an impression on me.
Jen
Disappointing. I usually love Avi, but this book didn't live up to my expectiations. It had great potential, but it seemed thrown together, and the end was abrupt.
Kristina Marie
Cute story with great narration (George Guidall). I especially like how it ended differently than I thought it would. Good for kids of all ages.
MacKenzie
Not interesting enough to keep me hooked...it's about a boy who tries to find a wrecked ship before 2 other people also searching for it.
Abby
I read it in like 4th grade, so I really don't remember it that well. The only thing I can remember is that the ending is really good!
Kristin
This book was the bane of my fifth-grade existence. I guess I'm just not big on books about survival or the sea.
Tiffiny
Ryan and I listened to this one. It was a little slow to start but we really liked it after all.
Cinda
This part adventure, part mystery would appeal, I think, to boys who like survival stories.
Cheryl
Read this with Ben. It kept us both interested, but the ending left you wanting a little more.
Freda
This book all around sucked. I had to read it for school and it just pissed me off...
Andrew
I read this book in 4th grade and I thought the end was really suspenseful.
Olin
the first noval i've ever read
Jill Tharp
Great but short young adult story.
Walker Langer
very catchy,there is a lot of action
Nightinggale
Nightinggale marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Alver Gayola
Alver Gayola marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
  • Who Killed Mr. Chippendale?: A Mystery in Poems
  • The 13th Floor: A Ghost Story
  • The Chalk Box Kid (Stepping Stone Books)
  • Into the Dream
  • Shakespeare's Spy (Shakespeare Stealer, #3)
  • King of Shadows
  • Two-Minute Mysteries
  • Peppermints in the Parlor
  • Jacob's Rescue: A Holocaust Story
  • When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered
  • Four Plays: Summer and Smoke / Orpheus Descending / Suddenly Last Summer / Period of Adjustment
  • Tornado
  • The Cookcamp
  • The Planet of Junior Brown
  • The Talking Earth
  • Just Juice
  • The One Hundredth Thing About Caroline
  • Selected Poems
Avi is a pen name for Edward Irving Wortis, but he says, "The fact is, Avi is the only name I use."
Born in 1937, Avi has created many fictional favorites such as The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Nothing but the Truth, and The Crispin series. His work is very much desired by readers young and old.
More about Avi...
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle Crispin: The Cross of Lead (Crispin #1) Nothing But the Truth Poppy (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #1) The Seer of Shadows