Start by marking “Toe-Up 2-At-A-Time Socks: Yet Another Revolution in Knitting Two at Once on One Circular Needle! Includes 15 New Sock Patterns” as Want to Read:

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  688 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Knitwear designer Melissa Morgan-Oakes revolutionized the world of sock-making with "2-at-a-Time Socks." Her ingenious approach showed delighted knitters how to simultaneously create two socks on a single circular needle. With that book, yarn enthusiasts said goodbye forever to second sock syndrome, the frustration of completing one beautiful hand-knit sock, only to rememb ...more
Published May 17th 2010 by Storey Publishing (first published December 12th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Toe-Up 2-At-A-Time Socks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toe-Up 2-At-A-Time Socks

Megan
Jan 15, 2009 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any knitter who's in for a mild challenge
Recommended to Megan by: Debi Seymour
Shelves: non-fiction, own
Excellent! The directions are clearer than most, and include a guide to picking up stitches that's the best I've ever read. I love the patterns and how versatile they are, and the sizing directions. Already 75% done with Pitter Patter, next up Frolic, and then something sweet for myself :) The only thing I would recommend to readers is if you've never tried one sock on one needle, DON'T start with two. It gets really confusing if you don't already understand how to knit a single sock on a single ...more
Melissa
I have to give it four stars, for crying out loud. I wrote it after all.
Jennifer Defoy
I like the technique that is presented. However I am having some trouble figuring it out. I think that with a little bit of free time and minimal distractions that I will be able to figure it out.

One thing that I do like about this book is that all the patterns can be adapted to allow for DPN knitting. Which, for someone that is having trouble getting the 2 at a time on one circular thing down I think it is a good idea.

There are quite a few sock patterns in this book that I do want to try. The
Gregory
When I started this book my thought was, "no way is this going to work." THEN when I came to the heel - which I just mis-typed as Hell - I was really thinking, "This is never going to work." BUT...I kept following the instructions and the very well done photographs and voila - I now have a pair of freaking lime green socks that fit my size 14 feet (for those of you who don't know me - no, I'm not an Amazonian woman but a guy who has taken up knitting as self-defense - I like to think of circular ...more
Kathy
I learned to do 2-at-a-Time Socks with Melissa's first book and learned Toe Up method elsewhere. Even before purchasing this book, I had devised my own process for combining the two methods. I got this book to see if there were steps I hadn't figured out. Only Casting on process was new idea. Nevertheless, even if you already know this technique Melissa gives you the key for figuring out the "secret" math for several different heel types to make the perfect fit. Great pictures on how-to, and jus ...more
Miss Mouse
I recently learned using circular needles to knit one sock at a time (Cat Borhdi's book Socks Soar), so I was intrigued when I saw this. It seems to be straight forward instructions. As soon as I finish the 2nd socks I'm working on, I want to try this method out. I think it would be especially useful when making small modifications to a pattern, but forget to write it down, and invariably forget about it when knitting the 2nd sock of the pair.
Kari Trumbo
I do like the patterns in this book and some of the helpful hints are great. I do wish that the pictures matched the actual pattern. In some cases the picture shows a crew sock and the pattern is for calf length sock. If I wasn't fairly new to sock knitting, I probably would have realized what was going on with the pattern before getting so far along, but I didn't. One thing I would like to say is that heals of these socks end up HUGE, if you do try her patterns, do it her way once and if you fi ...more
Marie Segares
While I personally have never understand the fascination with sock knitting, in this book, Melissa Morgan-Oakes has come the closest to inspiring within me the motivation to make many pairs of socks. First of all, there are no double pointed needles - just looking at the configurations of those things makes me want to run screaming from the room. Second, the book is jam packed with pictures and the woman is an entertaining writer. I was literally sucked in by her introduction and found myself re ...more
Kel
I have the first edition of this book and my first complaint is that the pattern shown on the cover isn't included in the patterns in the book. WTH?! I see now that the book has a different cover so perhaps I wasn't the only person ticked off by this HUGE error.

That aside, however, this method intrigues me and after several failed attempts over the past three years I think I may have actually figured it out. Maybe. :) I'm still working on the legs of my first pair so we'll see as time goes by h
Alicia
I tried one pair of socks from this book, but read the 2-at-a-time instructions wrong when it came to starting the heel. I tried to rip back those rows, but couldn't figure out how to get the socks back on the needles. This was my first attempt at socks. Since then, I made baby socks on dpn's for an expecting friend. That helped me understand the construction of the heel of the sock. Today, after much procrastinating for fear of messing it up again, I cast on a new pair of socks from the 2-at-a- ...more
Mary
I didn't think her method was worth the trouble but I did like some of the patterns.

I've now looked up the corrections for the book and see why I was having so much trouble with the technique. If I printed the corrections out there'd be seven pages. Seven. And a lot of them are on the technique itself's pages, not just patterns. I don't think I'll try to make anything from this book. I wouldn't trust that any of the patterns were right. Even the ones without corrections, I'd just figure they had
Anne
I liked this book. I have read many books on doing 2 at a time socks on circulars with one circular or two. By many I mean about 10. I own a few and I have knitted about 4-5 pairs of socks on circulars, two at the same time. This book wasn't as detailed or didn't offer as much additional information as some I have added to my collection.

I read this one from the library. I tend to do that with knitting books, then I buy the ones that have what I want. I have the most trouble with turning the hee
ms bookjunkie
I've finished my sample socks, yay!

This is the first time I've knitted socks (or heels*), let alone KNITTED USING DIRECTIONS IN ENGLISH. I found the instructions, photographs and diagrams clear and easy to follow, as well as well thought-out and generally excellent. The sample socks turned out nice enough that if I knew anyone with small enough feet, I'd give them as gifts (even though they aren't a matching pair). Now it's time to try making some adult sized socks…*nervous swallow*

*I really tho
Sandra Holladay
I'm giving this a 3.5 rating because though excited to try the socks in this book, was very disappointed in my first pair, Tuscany Socks, when they wouldn't fit over my foot. Going to Ravelry and looking at comments from others who made this pattern, I found that because the leg pattern had no give you needed to go up two needle sizes for that part. I wish the book had mentioned it in the directions. Going up the two needle sizes worked and the socks are great with lots of comments, but I should ...more
Cassidy
Knitting my first pair of socks with this!
Stephanie Stagner
Clear and concise instructions
Pam
Finished my sample socks, and it looks like they will fit a small set of feet. I think I will put them in a shoebox for Operation Christmas Child.

When I'm a little more organized and work up the courage perhaps I will try a pair of adult socks.

Good pictures & pretty clear directions. I'm not sure if I can wrap my head around modifying other patterns into this particular technique but I'm still pretty new to socks so hopefully it will make sense eventually.
Amanda
Amazing looking socks (again!). I may have to buy this one to have since I don't have time to knit at the moment, but when I get a chance to fit it back in, I'd love to do more socks. I tried one from her other book toe-up and it worked nicely, so I'm glad I'll be able to follow the instructions exactly now. And it has the Magic Cast-on I used from the internet too which was very easy to do!
Kim
Bought it awhile ago, tried a pair, messed it up. I'm ready to try again, but now I'm curious about the top-down-2-at-a-time technique. And I have 3 projects on the sticks, one slightly missing that I really need to complete before the other 2. Gotta search for it and hope I didn't leave it somewhere. And am interested in a couple of other projects...sigh.
Kristin
So if you’ve shied away from socks because they just seemed too complicated (or because you hate working on double-pointed needles)—or if you’ve found yourself looking for one-legged friends to bestow your single socks upon—give 2-At-A-Time Socks a try.

See the full review at NightsAndWeekends.com: http://www.nightsandweekends.com/arti...
Batya7
These are top-down socks. A bit less stellar than I'd expected. I've seen this technique on video but wanted a text to follow. I like the many sock patterns in the book but most are short (not knee-high). A good book for basic library. Spiral format is super.
Katie
After checking it out from the library, I loved it so much I bought it. The technique is clear, well explained and well illustrated. I actually want to knit all the patterns. In fairness, I am already comfortable with the Magic Loop technique.
Andrea
I'm loving this method for knitting socks. It's awesome to see the progress and when i'm done, i've actually got a pair of socks instead of having to start all over for sock #2. I'm working on the berry pattern, easy repeat, in a blue/white yarn.
First edition of the book includes lots of errata. Took a lot of effort to get the corrections (repeated e-mails to the publisher) and then updating my copy of the book. After all that, it turns out I HATE, HATE, HATE this technique.
Lori
I enjoyed the book, but you must have an extensive knowledge of knitting though. It would be quite interesting if I had more knowledge ... I wish I did. Perhaps I will revisit this book after I master knitting a bit more.
Fullfaun
this is a good book, but there wasn't anything in here I wanted to make. I have already been making my socks 2 at a time, tow up on 1 Circular needle. I think it is the best way to make socks.
Jordan
I love the patterns from this book! Even as an avid knitter, I have avoided socks and DPNS. This book makes socks amazingly simple. I cannot wait for the toe-up book by Melissa Morgan-Oakes.
Theresa
Not sure that I am capable at this point of making two socks at the same time. I am attempting to make one sock that fits. If that works out, I may revisit this book.

All patterns are cuff down.
Kerry
I used to own a copy of this book and I thought it would make my socks go faster. Not a chance. It seemed more difficult and it seemed to suck the joy out of making socks (for me anyway)
Elaine Nelson
My group used (mostly) the techniques in this book for a sock knit-along project. Didn't actually knit any of the patterns in the book, although some looked intriguing.
  • Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits
  • Sock Innovation: Knitting Techniques & Patterns for One-Of-A-Kind Socks
  • Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave
  • Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks!
  • Knitting Around
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • Knitting Vintage Socks: New Twists on Classic Patterns
  • The Knitting Experience Book 1: The Knit Stitch, Inspiration & Instruction
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
  • Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book
  • Knitting Circles Around Socks: Knit Two at a Time on Circular Needles
  • A Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Lace Style
  • Folk Shawls
  • Custom Knits: Unleash Your Inner Designer with Top-Down and Improvisational Techniques
Teach Yourself Visually Circular Knitting