Start by marking “Final Flight (Jake Grafton, #3)” as Want to Read:
Final Flight (Jake Grafton, #3)

Final Flight (Jake Grafton #3)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,829 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The most daring -- and deadly -- terrorist plot of all time is about to unfold aboard the supercarrier USS United States. If it succeeds, the balance of nuclear power will tilt in favor of a remorseless Arab leader. And it looks as if no one can stop it - except navy "jet jock" Jake Grafton. "Cag " Grafton is one helluva pilot. His F-14 Tomcat is one helluva plane. But som ...more
Published September 1st 1989 by Dell (first published August 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Final Flight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Flight

Flight of the Old Dog by Dale BrownCatch-22 by Joseph HellerFlight of the Intruder by Stephen CoontsBomber by Len DeightonDay of the Cheetah by Dale Brown
Military Aviation Novels
6th out of 59 books — 40 voters
Jurassic Park by Michael CrichtonThe Andromeda Strain by Michael CrichtonThe Hunt for Red October by Tom ClancySphere by Michael CrichtonPrey by Michael Crichton
Best Technothrillers Ever
118th out of 510 books — 834 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen Gallup
Nov 29, 2009 Stephen Gallup rated it liked it
I carried a more challenging book along on vacation this past week, but once there found I wasn't in the right frame of mind for it. Final Flight was the most appealing title on the small shelf of the resort's library, so I read that instead.

The author is a retired Navy pilot and in a position to provide a superabundance of detail about all that's involved with flying jets off aircraft carriers, as well as candid insights about military brass and other things of concern to the good people who le
Jackie
Aug 18, 2010 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the final book of Jake Grafton series, as the title suggested. Stephen Coonts is as good as ever. The plot is grusome and the scenes are brilliantly described. The sculping of characters are also brilliant, especially the bad guy, Qasi, who reminds me of Cortez in Tom Clancy's Clear and Present Danger. Job well done Mr. Coonts. The only problem is the portraying of each character, not including Jake and Qasi, is not deep enough, leaving a sense of incompleteness. It would be better to kn ...more
Chris H-C
Mar 09, 2014 Chris H-C rated it did not like it
jingoism: patriotism in the form of aggressive foreign policy.

Wow, was everyone in 1988 scared of terrorists, thinking the US armed forces were the only thing stopping the evil, yet bumbling, communists from taking over the world?

As a historical artefact, this novel is second-to-none. Nowhere else have I seen such internalized fear and aggression. Nowhere else have the French been cowardly and childishly impressed by United States military hardware, or bisexual nymphomaniacs practising BDSM; now
Daniel Bratell
Aug 05, 2015 Daniel Bratell rated it liked it
Jack Grafton is back, and he is much older. While doing his best to keep himself in the pilot chair, his age makes it hard to make the physical tests. At the same time, a north African state that is absolutely not Libya but happens to have Libyan cities in it plans to make a grab at a carrier. The carrier where Jack Grafton controls the air planes.

This novel reminds me a lof of the Steven Seagal movie Under Siege, though I think the movie came later. May it have been loosely based on this book?

I
Seth
Oct 17, 2015 Seth rated it liked it
Stephen Coonts wrote two novels (Flight of the Intruder, and The Intruders) which seem to be primarily about real people, while the other novels he wrote seemed like they were written more or less about cartoon charachters. This is not a bad thing if you know when to take something seriously and when not to.
This book is primarily cartoon in nature, Islamic terrorists have a plan to sneak aboard the carrier USS United States and steal a nuclear bomb so that they can deliver it to their parent co
Peter Inglis
Jul 20, 2014 Peter Inglis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: techno-thriller
Final Flight (1988) continues the adventures of Jake Grafton as he tackles terrorists. Good F-14 Tomcat action. Am I the only person who noticed the uncanny similarity between this book and a movie released shortly after - "Under Siege" with Stephen Seagal foiling the efforts of terrorists to hijack an aircraft carrier? Probably not, that's Hollywood.

Anyway, another ripping yarn from an ex-military aviator and the author of "Flight of the Intruder".
Steve
Feb 20, 2014 Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, warfare
3.5 stars. I'm a little conflicted by this book. It started kind of slow, but as a fan of JAG, it made it easy to follow along with the main character as he flew an F-14 Tomcat around, and then describing carrier operations. The plot twists increased, and built to a long and drawn out climax. The resolution left me feeling cold, and I didn't enjoy the final resolution, preferring a little closure.
Bob
Jun 29, 2009 Bob rated it really liked it
This book was like a blast from the past for me. I was in the U. S. Navy/Marine Corps from 1977 - 1993. This book was written in 1988 and centers around a Navy aircraft carrier and its pilots, primarily a Navy Captain named Jake Grafton who was introduced in "Flight of the Intruder". Having served on shipboard before (although never a fixed-wind aircraft carrier) the context of this whole book was pretty familiar to me, and it was enjoyable to get inside the cockpit of the F-14D and the minds o ...more
Mary
Oct 13, 2010 Mary rated it it was ok
First selection of Suzanne Holland's new book group. I find it hard to understand why this book was written--the author did painstaking research concerning a fatal training flight in 1942, in which three Air Force navigators and their pilot died. There is no question there were many such fatal crashes, both in training and in action. Far more lives lost in this fashion than in actual fighting.

He seems to have a compulsion to explore the brief lives of all these fine young men, and he writes with
Bob Conner
Jan 18, 2015 Bob Conner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military-war
Love Coont's books. If you enjoy military thrillers, his works are among the best.
Drexler
Jan 25, 2016 Drexler rated it really liked it
one of the best plots ever. Jake Grafton's a natural born hero
George
Jan 12, 2014 George rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
Spine tingling? Maybe? It was one hellova good Navy book. From the boring administrative details of Navy life, to the smashing conclusion; the book was a fun read. And, as always with a Coonts novel, our hero saves the world for democracy and the American way.
Michael
Jul 28, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
Not as good as the first book with Jake Grafton. I recall this being another book that I read while onboard my first navy duty station, USS ENTERPRISE. It was exciting to read about the planes and pilots, then be part of the life onboard an aircraft carrier at sea. Anyone who like the first will like this one as well; but thank you for not dong a movie.
Graham Bates
Final Flight serves a fine swan-song for Jake Grafton, but takes so long to get to any action you wonder if the attack will ever happen. The painstaking detail is interesting, if you enjoy military airplanes and carriers.
Rick Wong
Sep 03, 2007 Rick Wong rated it really liked it
Nice intro to The Minotaur. Actually read this one third, after Minotaur. Terrorism was always something in Europe and the Middle East and this book portrays all of that, plus the rules of engagement. Excellent book.
Victor Cohen
Jun 04, 2015 Victor Cohen rated it liked it
Good, enjoyable read, little too technical at times, clutters the narrative and bogs down the story. This is my first Stephen Coonts book, enjoyed it enough to whet my appetite for more in the series.
John Polson
Jun 05, 2013 John Polson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glad I came back after 'Hong Kong'. Like most ex-pilots (do 400 private hours really count?)- I nursed fantasies about flying off a carrier... but... Coonts, on his subject, can write. And fly - apparently.
Rob
Jul 05, 2008 Rob rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I was an avid reader of military aviation fiction in High School. I remember enjoying the subject matter but do not remember much about the writing style, etc as far as providing a rating.
Robert Snow
Apr 29, 2013 Robert Snow rated it really liked it
Coonts character Jake Grafton is one of those fictional characters you want to believe is real. He is like a fine wine in the sense that he gets better in each book!
Justin
Jan 07, 2012 Justin rated it really liked it
My first Coonts book, will definitely look for more. Keeps interest through the book, great Navy details, especially relevant with today's political climate.
Joe Graf
Not as good as the Flight of the Intruder but an easy read. I thought this may also hit the movie screens but it didn't.
Chollie
Jan 15, 2011 Chollie rated it really liked it
Another popular (at the time) novel, based partially on the author's real-life experiences. Good read--I enjoyed this one.
Wayne
Jan 25, 2013 Wayne rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Interesting fiction. Barely pluasible scenario leading to theft of nuclear weapons from a US carrier by terrorists.
Steve
Sep 07, 2010 Steve rated it really liked it
Pretty good book. You can see the progress in writing style. An enjoyable read. On to the next...
Oliver Rabacal
Apr 09, 2013 Oliver Rabacal rated it it was amazing
This one also made me sweat due to the heat on an aircraft carrier, Jake Grafton series of Stephen Coonts
Roysart
Sep 30, 2013 Roysart rated it really liked it
Great aviation story about the Navy, airplanes and aircraft carrier.
Will Oprisko
Aug 09, 2011 Will Oprisko rated it really liked it
I read this when I was 13, loved it from beginning to end.
Gwyn Owens
Dec 17, 2015 Gwyn Owens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my 2nd read still enjoyed it.
Joe Shinstock
Jul 31, 2012 Joe Shinstock rated it really liked it
Good story...not happy with the ending!
Adina Pitluck-Kushner
Jul 27, 2011 Adina Pitluck-Kushner rated it really liked it
Another great read
  • Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3)
  • Bright Star (Scott Dixon, #2)
  • Cauldron
Stephen Coonts (born July 19, 1946) is an American thriller and suspense novelist.

Coonts grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia, a small coal-mining town and earned an B.A. degree in political science at West Virginia University in 1968. He entered the Navy the following year and flew an A-6 Intruder medium attack plane during the Vietnam War, where he served on two combat cruises aboard the USS Ent
More about Stephen Coonts...

Jake Grafton (10 books)
  • Flight of the Intruder (Jake Grafton, #1)
  • The Intruders (Jake Grafton, #2)
  • The Minotaur (Jake Grafton, #4)
  • Under Siege (Jake Grafton, #5)
  • The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton, #6)
  • Cuba (Jake Grafton, #7)
  • Hong Kong (Jake Grafton, #8)
  • America (Jake Grafton, #9)
  • Liberty (Jake Grafton, #10)