Start by marking “The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton, #5)

The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton #6)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,303 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
The New York Times bestselling author delivers an epic collection of real-life tales of aerial warfare! Key Selling Points
- Stephen Coonts, a decorated combat pilot during the Vietnam War, is America's top selling writer of aviation fiction, with over 20 million copies of his books in print.
- Coonts wrote the foreword to War in the Air as well as the original account The L
Published June 1st 1994 by Pocket Books (first published May 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Horseman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Horseman

Brett Tompkins
Nov 11, 2008 Brett Tompkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one. After reading The Charm School by Nelson DeMille, which occurred during the Cold War, it was interesting to read this book, which occurred after the break up of the Soviet Union. Of course this book is non-fiction, however it is loosely based on what was going on in the world at that time. It was also interesting to see Saddam Hussein as a character, post Desert Storm/Pre-Iraqi Freedom. I wonder if Stephen Coonts, while writing this, ever thought that Saddam would eventually ...more
Steve
Aug 13, 2015 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
8-12-2015 I know I've read this book before but it seems to have been gobbled up by Goodreads so this is my first known review. I've enjoyed reading Stephen Coonts novels for years. I like the good and eveil of his characters. It is a coincidence that while reading this book, I have been listening in the car to the the Coonts novel about a later novel where Jake is teamed up with Tommy Carmelini and the Russian archivist. Very convoluted and one of my favorite Stephen Coonts novels. This one has ...more
Daniel Bratell
Pure fiction.

When this was written Coonts probably meant is a plausible political and military thriller, but with the benefit of hindsight it is very much a work of fiction. One thing that makes the Grafton books easy to read is that even the dilemmas are very black and white. The bad guys of the time are bad guys and not much else. When something is derelict, there is no beautiful flower to protect.

I gave this 3 stars and though I would like to give less, I cannot deny that it made for a smooth
Graham Bates
Mar 15, 2013 Graham Bates rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Military/Political Thrillers
No man can serve two plotlines.

That's the lesson I learned while reading The Red Horseman. Stephen Coonts does a good job writing
believable characters, interesting dialogue, and moving action scenes, but always leaves you wanting more (or in this case, less).

This book is a good book, worth reading if you like military/political thrillers. Unfortunately, Coonts adds too much to the storyline. The Red Horseman would have been more compelling splitting them into two self-contained novellas. The tw
Bill Sheridan
Jul 14, 2015 Bill Sheridan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Centred around the collapse of the old Soviet Union and the risk of nuclear weapons falling into the wrong hands, this is another great read in the Jake Grafton series. It is fast moving and gripping and can he highly recommended.
Susan Kamps
I like thrillers in which I can learn about other countries, so I really liked this one. Coonts describes the totally disfunctional life and political system in the Soviet Union. Chilling.
Ronnie Taylor
Sep 20, 2015 Ronnie Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wild ride

Well written lover the flying scenes though not enough it kept me reading well into the night was even tempted to read at a traffic light but didn't lol
George
Mar 19, 2014 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jake and Toad save the world, again. This time in Russia during the 90s with a nuclear meltdown, a dog fight between an attack airplane and a fighter, killings in the streets and a pesky reporter. Action galore. Where's my next Coonts book?
Justin
May 21, 2016 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written in 1993 and feels very dated in 2016. This is my second time reading this book in a decade or two and there are so many things I do not remember. In the book, rogue Russian generals sell nukes to Saddam to make some sense in a post-Communist Russia. Well, Saddam is long dead today and Russian generals are happy as Russian has re-emerged as a world power. The Middle East has gotten worse.

The title alludes to one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse; red being the one who
Richard Carroll
Jun 28, 2015 Richard Carroll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stuff happens.

We know things happen that don't always look good on the surface but need doing. I think this story tells how that can happen.
Bob Conner
Jan 18, 2015 Bob Conner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-war
Love Coont's books. If you enjoy military thrillers, his works are among the best.
Greg
Sep 05, 2015 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If only it had gone this way... Good book
Brad T.
Apr 03, 2016 Brad T. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Lots of buildup for 10% action. Good story.
Shaun
Jul 26, 2014 Shaun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
entertaining.
Renko777
Really liked the plot, gotta love a good conspiracy, the characters were ok but would have liked to see others close to Grafton brought more to life.but still I would've rated higher except for some of the technological vernacular kinda threw me around a bit.but all in all looking forward to seeing what else Grafton is getting into.
Sandra Knapp
Jul 04, 2012 Sandra Knapp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not that big on spy novels, or anything even close to it, but I did enjoy every bit of this story. I would recommend it simply because it's very well written, and I found it easy to relate to in that many of the things that were going on, happened not all that long ago.
Pete
Jan 07, 2016 Pete rated it liked it
I liked this novel up to a point. The writing was certainly first rate with plenty of action and suspense. About two thirds of the way through the plot begins to become more and more implausible however as the focus shifts away from secret CIA involvement.
Josh
Jun 04, 2008 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. I noticed that sometimes authors seemed to get caught up on one point of their story, like the binary poison in this one, but overall the story was enjoyable.
Ralph McEwen
Feb 05, 2011 Ralph McEwen rated it liked it
A good story and it seems really odd that the end of the story came so close to what transpired in reality a few years later. Even though in reality no WMD were found.
Data
Linda Lahti milne
1/2 though I figured out I already read this... duh? Still a good book
Joe Shinstock
Mar 16, 2013 Joe Shinstock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series. Need the next one.
Anish Nanavati
Jun 28, 2013 Anish Nanavati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better then the previous book
Simon
Oct 01, 2008 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good brainless Soviet union falling apart and nukes go missing adventure book. Always good when I don't feel like anything too serious.
Richard Tucker
Richard Tucker rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Riley Roberts
Riley Roberts rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Shy Writer
Shy Writer rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
  • Storming Heaven
  • Code of Honor (Scott Dixon, #5)
  • Cauldron
  • Firebreak (Matt Pontowski, #1)
Stephen Coonts (born July 19, 1946) is an American thriller and suspense novelist.

Coonts grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia, a small coal-mining town and earned an B.A. degree in political science at West Virginia University in 1968. He entered the Navy the following year and flew an A-6 Intruder medium attack plane during the Vietnam War, where he served on two combat cruises aboard the USS Ent
More about Stephen Coonts...

Jake Grafton (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Flight of the Intruder (Jake Grafton #1)
  • The Intruders (Jake Grafton #2)
  • Final Flight (Jake Grafton #3)
  • The Minotaur (Jake Grafton #4)
  • Under Siege (Jake Grafton #5)
  • Cuba (Jake Grafton #7)
  • Hong Kong (Jake Grafton #8)
  • America (Jake Grafton #9)
  • Liberty (Jake Grafton #10)
  • Liberty's Last Stand (Jake Grafton #11)