Start by marking “The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton, #5)

The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton #5)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,046 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The New York Times bestselling author delivers an epic collection of real-life tales of aerial warfare! Key Selling Points
- Stephen Coonts, a decorated combat pilot during the Vietnam War, is America's top selling writer of aviation fiction, with over 20 million copies of his books in print.
- Coonts wrote the foreword to War in the Air as well as the original account The L
Published June 1st 1994 by Pocket Books (first published May 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Horseman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Horseman

Brett Tompkins
I enjoyed this one. After reading The Charm School by Nelson DeMille, which occurred during the Cold War, it was interesting to read this book, which occurred after the break up of the Soviet Union. Of course this book is non-fiction, however it is loosely based on what was going on in the world at that time. It was also interesting to see Saddam Hussein as a character, post Desert Storm/Pre-Iraqi Freedom. I wonder if Stephen Coonts, while writing this, ever thought that Saddam would eventually ...more
Graham Bates
Mar 15, 2013 Graham Bates rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Military/Political Thrillers
No man can serve two plotlines.

That's the lesson I learned while reading The Red Horseman. Stephen Coonts does a good job writing
believable characters, interesting dialogue, and moving action scenes, but always leaves you wanting more (or in this case, less).

This book is a good book, worth reading if you like military/political thrillers. Unfortunately, Coonts adds too much to the storyline. The Red Horseman would have been more compelling splitting them into two self-contained novellas. The tw
Susan Kamps
I like thrillers in which I can learn about other countries, so I really liked this one. Coonts describes the totally disfunctional life and political system in the Soviet Union. Chilling.
George
Jake and Toad save the world, again. This time in Russia during the 90s with a nuclear meltdown, a dog fight between an attack airplane and a fighter, killings in the streets and a pesky reporter. Action galore. Where's my next Coonts book?
Bob Conner
Love Coont's books. If you enjoy military thrillers, his works are among the best.
Renko777
Really liked the plot, gotta love a good conspiracy, the characters were ok but would have liked to see others close to Grafton brought more to life.but still I would've rated higher except for some of the technological vernacular kinda threw me around a bit.but all in all looking forward to seeing what else Grafton is getting into.
Sandra Knapp
I'm not that big on spy novels, or anything even close to it, but I did enjoy every bit of this story. I would recommend it simply because it's very well written, and I found it easy to relate to in that many of the things that were going on, happened not all that long ago.
Pete
I liked this novel up to a point. The writing was certainly first rate with plenty of action and suspense. About two thirds of the way through the plot begins to become more and more implausible however as the focus shifts away from secret CIA involvement.
Josh
I liked it. I noticed that sometimes authors seemed to get caught up on one point of their story, like the binary poison in this one, but overall the story was enjoyable.
Ralph McEwen
A good story and it seems really odd that the end of the story came so close to what transpired in reality a few years later. Even though in reality no WMD were found.
Data
Linda Lahti milne
1/2 though I figured out I already read this... duh? Still a good book
Joe Shinstock
Love this series. Need the next one.
Anish Nanavati
Better then the previous book
Simon
Good brainless Soviet union falling apart and nukes go missing adventure book. Always good when I don't feel like anything too serious.
Mike
Mike added it
Apr 29, 2015
Larry
Larry marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Maciej
Maciej is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2015
Beatrice
Beatrice marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
  • Storming Heaven
  • Code of Honor (Scott Dixon, #5)
  • The Enemy Within
Stephen Coonts (born July 19, 1946) is an American thriller and suspense novelist.

Coonts grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia, a small coal-mining town and earned an B.A. degree in political science at West Virginia University in 1968. He entered the Navy the following year and flew an A-6 Intruder medium attack plane during the Vietnam War, where he served on two combat cruises aboard the USS Ent
More about Stephen Coonts...

Jake Grafton (10 books)
  • Flight of the Intruder (Jake Grafton, #1)
  • Final Flight (Jake Grafton, #3)
  • The Minotaur (Jake Grafton, #4)
  • Under Siege (Jake Grafton, #5)
  • The Intruders (Jake Grafton, #2)
  • Cuba (Jake Grafton, #7)
  • Hong Kong (Jake Grafton, #8)
  • America (Jake Grafton, #9)
  • Liberty (Jake Grafton, #10)
Flight of the Intruder (Jake Grafton, #1) Under Siege (Jake Grafton, #5) Final Flight (Jake Grafton, #3) Deep Black (Deep Black, #1) America (Jake Grafton, #9)