Start by marking “Come si fa una tesi di laurea: le materie umanistiche ” as Want to Read:
Come si fa una tesi di laurea: le materie umanistiche

Come si fa una tesi di laurea: le materie umanistiche

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,463 Ratings  ·  152 Reviews
In questo testo, il semiologo italiano indica le metodologie fondamentali per un uso opportuno del linguaggio accademico, soprattutto considerando le strutture testuali e le argomentazioni necessarie alla elaborazione delle tesi di laurea.

Cos'è una tesi di laurea e a che cosa serve
La scelta dell'argomento
La ricerca del materiale
Il piano di lavoro e la schedatura
La stesura
L
Paperback, 1st edition Tascabili Bompiani [48], 249 pages
Published 1977 by Bompiani

Fiona
This one's going on my shelf next to Steven King's On Writing as one of the best guides to putting together a long-form piece of written work I know of. It's cogent, it's comprehensive, and for a book aimed at new graduates, it's appropriately scary.

I want to say that I'd recommend it to anyone intending to write a thesis, but I recently lent this to a friend who's about to embark on his PhD (and who, incidentally, is one of the most vigorous scholars I've ever met). After a couple of months, he
Genevieve
Reading How to Write a Thesis by Umberto Eco, even an ‘updated’ version in this MIT Press edition, felt like a sweet exercise in futility. There’s something folksy and quaint about being told how to put notes on index cards and properly organize them and being given tips for using the library and talking to librarians. (Not too surprising, as Eco wrote this in the late seventies—almost forty years ago!) But with over twenty-three editions and countless translations, there’s something to be sai ...more
Pio
Dec 04, 2013 Pio rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Sau hai tháng quằn quại, cuối cùng cũng đọc xong quyển này.
Tôi sẽ cho quyển này 1 sao vì bản dịch quá sức cẩu thả, y như quăng bản tiếng Ý vào Google Translate và ngồi sửa lại để khi đọc có vẻ trơn tru theo kiểu word-by-word. Nhưng với một nguồn động viên an ủi lớn lao cùng văn phong đỏm dáng từ lão già mà tôi cực kỳ yêu thích này, tôi sẽ cho quyển này 3 sao. Dù sao thì nó cũng vực tôi dậy để tìm lại cảm hứng cho cơ hội nghiên cứu đầu tiên của mình.
Nói tóm lại, trung bình thì quyển này 2 sao.
Robbe
Apr 30, 2015 Robbe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Additional tip: Instead of spending valuable time reading a book on how to write your thesis, actually write it.
saizine
Jul 23, 2015 saizine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do not expect this book to tell you what to put in your thesis, or what to do with your life.

A wonderful little book that, while not being essential reading, imbues the reader with a quiet enthusiasm for the difficulties, complexities, and pleasures of researching and drafting a thesis. There are some pieces of advice that, for me, are particularly worth committing to memory (‘Write everything that comes into your head, but only in the first draft’, for example, and ‘Do not play the solitary g
Philippe Malzieu
Interest only for students or "doctorants". Why edit again a book destinated only for university people. Not bad, but far from other Eco's opus. Is it only for the money?
Juan
Nov 29, 2011 Juan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Para alguien que, como yo, aun está pensando en el tema de sus tesis y tiene algo así como un semestre para empezar a trabajarle en serio este puede ser un gran libro. Quizás cuando escriba mi tesis me voy a dar cuenta de que todo lo que Eco afirma y aconseja es falso y contraproducente, lo cual dudo, pero en cualquier caso eso no será sino dentro de un buen tiempo. Por ahora quiero dirigirme al estudiante que se encuentra en una situación similar a la mía.

Desde que empecé a pensar en serio en u
Sofia
Aug 24, 2011 Sofia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Posted on my book blog.

I'm currently enrolled in a Master's program and about to start working on my thesis in Museum Studies. Since I used to be a Medicine student, I'm more familiar with scientific research, so I wanted a book that was more focused on other kinds of works. This one by Umberto Eco seems to be regarded as the authority in the matter.

It was a nice read (even if the author can seem rather unorthodox at times) and overall quite useful. I read an older edition so the research chapte
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
*I received a free ARC of How to Write a Thesis from MIT Press via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review*

ARC received on November 10th 2014.

When I saw that this has been translated to English, I requested it straight away. As a grad student, I'll take all the help I can get in writing a thesis that will make sense and help me get my MA.
Nobassil
Teilweise sehr langatmig..aber gute Strategien und Formulieren als Vorschläge :)
Leonardo
Sep 12, 2014 Leonardo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-digital
Ilegible. Si más o menos leen mis reseñas de vez en cuando, sabrán que me tengo prometido a mi mismo no leer libros viejos salvo que sean hiper-clásicos. Este me parecía de esta segunda calaña. Creo que lo que más me motivó fue que aparece en la bibliografía recomendada del doctorado de la Facultad de Economía de la UBA. El libro es de 1977, aunque tiene nuevas ediciones. Si yo estuviera a cargo de una nueva edición, le cambiaría el título a "Cómo se hacía una tesis hace 40 años". Obviamente no ...more
Buensur
Sep 16, 2011 Buensur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pedagogía
A pesar de su edad, el texto se conserva fresco y, lo que es más importante, aún resulta útil. Lo peor: a pesar de sus nueve reimpresiones, aun no se ha dignado la editorial a corregir los errores ortográficos y ortotipográficos. No cuesta tanto y lo merece
Maddee
Dec 24, 2016 Maddee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daddy Umberto's guide to writing a thesis on a typewriter in the italian university in the 70's without the internet. Plenty of hot tips on how to use index cards
Vivek Rai
I found the ideas put forward by the author to be extremely helpful. The most helpful chapters were "Chapter 1: The Definition and Purpose of Thesis", "Chapter 2: Choosing the Topic", and "Chapter 5: Writing the Thesis", mostly because the ideas put in here are field agnostic (this is not to say that the other portions of book are valid only for a specific field) and highly relevant for someone who has ever had to write a research proposal or thesis.

Beginners like me, who tend to be overly ambit
AK
Umberto Eco wrote this book in 1977, after he noticed that increased access to higher education in Italy had created a mass of students who needed to write a thesis to graduate, yet had not received adequate instructions in how to undertake and complete such a project. Perhaps many of these students, from working class backgrounds, felt that to ask about these particulars would reveal the discrepancies between them and their more elite classmates. Eco himself barely mentions the sociological spe ...more
Gretel
Aug 05, 2015 Gretel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every academic
Eco’s Wie man eine wissenschaftliche Abschlußarbeit schreibt is a basic read for students entering the final stages of their studies. Actually, the text should be mandatory for those entering university, it’s so elementary and important!
It’s an introduction with clear and helpful information with positive and negative examples, explaining why something has to/needs to be done, and other things should absolutely be avoided. It helps that the usually very dry, boring, and overly correct way of “H
Raúl Omar
Sep 11, 2014 Raúl Omar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Es un buen libro si no se tiene una idea clara de lo que implica hacer una tesis y si no se está familiarizado con el ámbito universitario/académico. No es un libro para leerse de principio a fin sino más bien para resolver alguna duda específica con respecto algún aspecto específico de la elaboración de una tesis. Aunque el libro está bastante desactualizado (se publicó por primera vez en 1977 y dice cosas como "...antes de mandar a mecanografiar vuestra tesis...)Hay una serie de consejos y rec ...more
Swaraj Dalmia
Jan 03, 2017 Swaraj Dalmia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
I picked up this book, to gain a certain insight into the process of scholarly scientific research, and what i got was a very practical advice/guide from a respected scholar to a novice who might be starting his academic career.

For those who might be dissuaded by the phrase, 'a Thesis' in the title, one could paraphrase it into any form of research, be it journalistic pieces, a research paper, your dissertation or a book.

He delineates phases, from first choosing a topic, to compiling an almo
Leesgoodfood
Even though I finished my dissertation last year, I picked this up when I saw it because I love Umberto Eco!! I had a hard time rating it:
Five stars because, as always, he writes clearly and beautifully.
Two stars because it is dated, having been written before the internet advent.
Five stars because there are actually examples of index note cards and I so remember writing them in high school and college - not exactly fondly remember, but they are useful. And I still use paper-and-pen notes.
Thre
Гергана
May 11, 2015 Гергана rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how, how-to-write
Това е най-забавната, полезна и интересна книга, която съм прочела за последните 2 години. Може би и повече. Иска ми се да ми беше попаднала в началото на моето студентстване, а може би дори в последната година на гимназията. Много ненужни страдания биха били избегнати.
Препоръчвам я на всички, които тепърва започват да учат, още не са завършили, или пък са към края.

Освен това, съм пробвала да чета преди това друго от Умберто Еко: Името на розата и Баудолино и не ми се получи. Тоя автор съм го з
Theut
Jan 30, 2013 Theut rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I punti di forza di questo "agile volumetto" (cit.) sono sicuramente il fornire un metodo di lavoro serio e una struttura che, se seguita, non fa perdere tempo allo studente sotto tesi. Ottima la parte della citazione bibliografica e le note a piè di pagina.
Allora perché solo 3 stelle? Perché il volume è datato. Considerando che tutti o quasi hanno un pc e una connessione a Internet, non aver pensato a un'edizione riveduta e corretta è quanto meno fastidioso (nessuno scrive più le tesi con la m
Alexandru
Feb 04, 2017 Alexandru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for anyone interested in research, very reader friendly and down to Earth. The only reason for 4 out of 5 stars is the fact that is is quote old - 1977 and the rise of internet changed a lot the way we research issues. Incredibly well written conclusion and advises in the book, which cover all possible scenarios while researching. I strongly recommend it to anyone interested in research, indifferently from the amount of experience. A must read for doctoral students.
Gloria
May 15, 2012 Gloria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un ottimo libro per chi non ha proprio idea di dove sbattere la testa e in ogni caso consiglio di dargli una lettura. E' chiarissimo nelle spiegazioni, come sempre del resto, ma a mio avviso è un po' troppo puntiglioso per quanto riguarda i tempi almeno per chi deve concludere una laurea triennale... Sicuramente più tempo si ha a disposizione, meglio si lavora. Ma iniziare due anni prima a pensare alla tesi mi pare eccessivo.
Andrew Berezovskyi
Great book, given that author wanted to tell completely inexperienced students how to perform their day-to-day work on their thesis. Its approach is still state-of-art, but particulars became replaced with the tools of the 21st century: typewriter with LaTeX, literature index folder with Zotero, markers with annotated PDFs. I started to use Trello to organise literature that has some backlog items (such as read references and come back etc.). Don't think it's too old to be useful.
M.L. Rio
Sep 17, 2015 M.L. Rio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for people who have never written an academic paper longer than about ten pages, as it assumes that the reader has literally no idea what s/he's doing. So, probably a great thing to assign to undergraduates. It's certainly a product of its time (i.e., Eco spends a lot of time talking about how to organize notecards and the internet isn't even mentioned as a resource), but the majority of Eco's advice is still solid, and his writing style (as always) pithy and humorous.
Antonio
Mar 07, 2013 Antonio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es un libro muy bueno, para aquellos que iniciamos en la elaboración de una tesis. Resulta empático desde su comienzo, y te pone los pies sobre la tierra. Hacer una tesis no es resolver el mundo. Es resolver un grano de arena. Recomendable, principalmente, para despejar la mente de qué queremos y qué no queremos que sea nuestro proyecto de investigación.
Klava reads
Nov 17, 2010 Klava reads rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Il testo che mi ha fatto amare Eco, dopo che per svariate volte ho abbandonato "Il nome della rosa".
Alcune osservazioni sono datate rispetto alle nuove tecnologie di uso comune (grazie al cielo nessuno oggi batte più la tesi a macchina), ma in generale trovo i suoi suggerimenti molto puntuali ed acuti.
Ilaria
Riletto per ripassare quel magnifico metodo per la schedatura dei libri (capitolo 4), che mi era stato tanto prezioso per la tesi di laurea. Ovviamente, quelle che per Eco (negli anni '70) erano schede cartacee possono utilmente diventare un database informatico, ma il principio rimane ed è sacrosanto.
Chase
Oct 06, 2015 Chase rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theory
Eco delineates the importance of an effectively researched thesis (or dissertation): step-by-step in an accessible, thoughtfully-formatted text that spans Humanities research projects, but is also adaptable and useful for all other fields of study. Eco's practical guide is essential for all students writing theses. I only wish I had this available when I was a senior undergrad. A must read.
Jordan
Jan 23, 2016 Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book terrified about dissertations this morning. But this book has made me feel much better with its handy dandy advice. After all a dissertation "is like cooking a pig: nothing goes to waste" and I now know I am not Proust or e.e cummings and nor should I write like them.
  • L'umorismo
  • Storming the Reality Studio: A Casebook of Cyberpunk & Postmodern Science Fiction
  • Da cosa nasce cosa. Appunti per una metodologia progettuale
  • Stuff
  • Six Memos For The Next Millennium
  • Empire of Signs
  • Dalla parte delle bambine
  • The Historian's Craft: Reflections on the Nature and Uses of History and the Techniques and Methods of Those Who Write It.
  • Why Write?
  • My Unwritten Books
  • Palimpsests: Literature in the Second Degree
  • Inchiesta sul Cristianesimo. Come si costruisce una religione
  • ترابها زعفران
Umberto Eco was an Italian writer of fiction, essays, academic texts, and children's books, and certainly one of the finest authors of the twentieth century. A professor of semiotics at the University of Bologna, Eco’s brilliant fiction is known for its playful use of language and symbols, its astonishing array of allusions and references, and clever use of puzzles and narrative inventions. His pe ...more
More about Umberto Eco...

“The “thesis neurosis” has begun: the student abandons the thesis, returns to it, feels unfulfilled, loses focus, and uses his thesis as an alibi to avoid other challenges in his life that he is too cowardly to address. This student will never graduate.” 3 likes
“There are many things that I do not know because I photocopied a text and then relaxed as if I had read it.” 3 likes