Start by marking “Fall Of Angels” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Fall Of Angels

L.E. Modesitt Jr.

Fall Of Angels (The Saga of Recluce #6)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  5,736 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
The 6th book in the "Saga of Recluce" chronicles Recluce's past and the founding of the Empire of the Legend - the mythological domain ruled by women warriors on the highland plateau of Candar. A revolutionary new society will be born here - if Nylan can learn to control his growing powers.
Published (first published June 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Fall Of Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fall Of Angels

John
Nov 17, 2009 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My relationship with Modesitt's "Recluce" series began several years ago with the first book, "The Magic of Recluce". It was a good read. Since then I have slogged my way through numerous sequels, prequels, spin-offs, or whatever else they might be called. None of them were read in order of publication or in order according to the stories' chronology, and I have no idea if this helped or hindered their readability. All of them seem to have a male engineer/mage/smith and a female warrior/mage/he ...more
Bryan Brown
Mar 09, 2015 Bryan Brown rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This story is the first of (at least) another duo of books. This is set some 400 years after the first two (in chronological order). The first set told of a master of the white power of chaos. This story is about the black power of order. It is the story of the crew of a starship involved in some sort of interstellar war. The vast energies involved in fighting their white enemies in space have somehow translocated their starship to the orbit of an unknown but populated planet.

They discover they
Connie Jasperson

I had one of those weeks where I cracked open 4 indie books, and shut them after getting a third of the way into them. No plot? No problem--No way. So I was looking around my dusty shelves and came across my beloved Saga of Recluce collection and picked up "Fall of Angels." Written in 1997 by L.E. Modesitt Jr., this is one of the most enduring fantasy series of modern times. I think its longevity has to do with the way the saga takes place over many generations, and takes you into both sides of
Benjamin Thomas
Sep 07, 2010 Benjamin Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-epic
If you're reading this 6th book of the Recluse Saga, you probably know what to expect from this series by now. For many, however, this is the first book read of the series because, chronologically, it is the first. (By the way, I have read that the author would prefer us to read them in the order they were published). Regardless, I found it to be quite a good story, quite capable of standing on its own. Modesitt has flirted with blending science and fantasy elements together with his magic engin ...more
Jeremy Preacher
Fall of Angels is the only explicitly sci-fi book in the series (although, granted, the magic system may as well be sci-fi throughout, as rigorous as it is) and it's definitely more interesting for it. It sets up the female-dominated societies portrayed in later books as well as the background behind Westwind, which is critical later (earlier?) on.

That said, I'm only mildly fond of it. The lasers and spaceships don't really take up enough of the story to differentiate it, and while it has lots o
Dec 14, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-2012
Debbie
Jun 12, 2008 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If reading this book in publication order, this is the sixth book in the Recluse Saga. I've read these early books a few times, and in this re-read, I find that I like "Fall of Angels" the best. It fills in the back story of some of how the legendary (in Recluse) figures arrived on the world, and how their legends began. Nylan is the primary character - a man who finds this new world exerts new abilities and insights on him.

The world already has a patriarchal and feudal population, and they view
Richard Tran
Jun 22, 2010 Richard Tran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeremy
Oct 29, 2013 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jason Gordon
Jan 07, 2013 Jason Gordon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Having read up to this book in the series a couple times, I have concluded that while an interesting book for the back story, this is one of the slower books in the series. Definitely not where I would suggest someone start even though it is fairly early in the time line (but not in the order they were written, for those unfamiliar with this series). But at the end of the day I still really like Modesitt's writing, so I enjoyed this book (but I'm also clear that's a somewhat personal opinion).
Megan Anderson
In places a little boring, but the writing is so clear and the characters are so well-envisioned that it keeps on moving, even at it's most boring parts. The idea of having to build a home from scratch, even with partial use of advanced technology, makes my shoulders ache just thinking about it, and Modesitt's descriptions of the setting make me want to visit. The challenges the characters face, both with the construction and the petty intregues, are really what makes the book shine. Recommended ...more
Jerry
Mar 30, 2012 Jerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The sixth of this fantastic series, and perhaps as good as the first.
How many lost battles does it take before armchair bravado is finally slapped across the face and told to hush? The ambitions of a needle wielding old woman and her "honorable" intentions lead to the utter ruin of a once great kingdom.
This volume lays down the history of Ryba, Nylan, and the Roof of the World, Westwind. A great story.
Harper Kingsley
Jun 05, 2011 Harper Kingsley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is probably one of my favorite Recluse book. That said, it's typical L.E. Modesitt fair: lots of detail, lots of technical info, a male protagonist, and a solid magic/science base.

Explains the female warriors that live on the roof of the world and how they are able to survive there where no one else can. And seeing as I've read the first books and the later books, I find it interesting to discover just how the world of Recluse has changed and adapted over the course of years.
Gordon
This is my favorite so far. Nylan is amazing and gets the job done not nearly as whiney as the other main characters and since you know the world now makes this a roller coaster of action without the long buildups of previous books.
Kathi
Apr 26, 2016 Kathi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
9/10
A thoroughly satisfying get entry in the Saga of Recluce, taking the reader back to the time when Westwind was settled by the survivors of an intergalactic battle. Here we get the apparent facts behind the Legend and the start of the Black Order.
Karen
Feb 15, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Volume 6 in the Saga of Recluse is actually the beginning of the story of the conflict between the White Brotherhood (the bad guys) and the Black Brotherhood (the Good guys).
C.S. Zahn
This is a good series. If you haven't read it, I would recommend it.
Stephanie
Aug 09, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Modesitt and this series, and this is one of the books that I definitely appreciated. Although it starts in a sci-fi setting, a futuristic band of "angels" fighting "demons" in space, and something twisty happening with time where ultimately both parties land on the same planet, but in different eras. The side of bad/Chaos/White magic has had generations to develop and use their inherent powers to influence the people and land, while the good/Order/Black magic is in survival mode.

But the
Mary Soon Lee
Dec 30, 2016 Mary Soon Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sixth book in "The Saga of Recluce," and rather a departure from the others. The opening chapters are spacefaring science fiction, rather than fantasy. Being familiar with the earlier books, I anticipated how this would connect to the fantasy setting of Recluce, and I thought that connection well done.

I found the central character, Nylan, very likable, and, while he has commonalities with the protagonists of the other books, his background as an officer on a space frigate makes him d
Ramon4
Interesting but ultimately weak book. Apparently this is a prequel of a series of books about two warring groups. I though the premise was interesting: In some galaxy far away, a space ship caring a contingent of warriors is headed to a climatic space battle. Just as they arrive at the battle site, a huge explosion destroys all the warring ships, and forces the troop ship into an uncharted quadrant of the galaxy. Realizing they will never make it home, they search for a planet that can support t ...more
Pete Skimin
Jul 14, 2011 Pete Skimin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
Prior to reading this book it had been a couple years since I had read the last book in the Saga of Recluce. After reading Fall of Angels though I think I will be reading the next one quite soon as this book reminded me of the many reasons I have enjoyed this author and series so far. Although this book is the sixth book in the series it is set earlier than the previous books. It is the origin of Westwind and those who rule it. The "Angels" of Westwind are actually the marooned crew of a militar ...more
Chip Hunter
Dec 31, 2016 Chip Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fall of Angels chronicles the arrival of the Angels on the world of Recluce, the founding of Westwind, and the birth of the Legend. The book follows the same general theme as most of the previous books, with an Order-mage/engineer forging weapons with which to defend against the forces of Chaos. I really liked the characters in the book, and Modesitt brings out his best a far as dialogue and character interaction.
While the book was really fun to read and and the story line progressed smoothl
Jesse
Feb 14, 2009 Jesse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
If you've come this far it's obvious you like his style and aren't as concerned with pace as you are with character development and disappearing into another world completely removed from your own. That being said, I had a hard time getting into this one. Unlike the others in the series, this one had an element of sci-fi which I wasn't expecting, and frankly for me didn't work. This felt like a fantasy author trying something new and I feel he should stick with fantasy strictly. I had to force m ...more
DaveA
Jan 13, 2016 DaveA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. I only gave it 3 stars because of mistakes, repetitiveness, and sometimes slow plot development. The last 100 pages went over and over and over and over again the main protagonist's (Nylan) loathing for war.

One example of a mistake is Modesitt's use of a lutar (a musical instrument between a lute and a guitar). The main characters came from a futuristic Earth-like universe, ending uup in a low tech dark ages-like universe. One of the characters then started playing a lutar
Kurtbg
The saga continues... or does it begin? Book #6 takes place before the preceding pentateuch on recluse. Chaos and order kind of take a back seat to the another duality, that of gender and gender roles. The book starts out in a different place (sci-fi) and then flips over to fantasy. I found this to be a much more enjoyable read as intrigue, deception, and more touches of humanity are sprinkled through the story. The first half establishes and the second parts picks up and his smartly balanced.

Y
Kivutar
Feb 21, 2014 Kivutar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tantor is releasing all the books on Audio so I am "re-reading" these books as they are released. This is my second, third, fifth, who knows how many times to read these books. This series is absolutely one of my favorites and deserves a high spot on everyone's book shelf.

Fall of Angels and The Chaos Balance are a pairing within the series, they are books 6 and 7 in release chronological order and books 3 and 4 in date chronological order.

This book details the arrival of the Angels to the Roof
Liviu
Dec 02, 2009 Liviu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second Recluce sub-series in chronological order, this one starts about 400 yeras later after the Cyador books and presents the story of the opponents of the White wizards who are marooned to recluce and have to build a society; the first book is again somewhat slower and Nylan does not get into its own until later in the story but the second again picks up and is excellent
Myles Harrold
Sep 02, 2013 Myles Harrold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fantasy
This book takes this whole series in a new direction. A group of people from another dimension are forced to land on the world of Recluce before Recluce even existed. Chaos magic exists already but the "Angels" start to experience and develop order magic. Even more engineering and building are included to bring some kind of technology into this early civilization.
Mike (the Paladin)
I liked most of the Recluse novels. This one (oddly I suppose)I find made very little impression on me and can barely place it in the series (in my memory that is). I recall it as the weakest of the ones I read.
Carla
Jan 22, 2017 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read in chronological order

So 400 years after the founding of the "white demons" come the "black angels". The battles are spectacular, but the characters are better. Rich, deep giant personalities worthy to be legends.
  • Fortress of Owls (Fortress, #3)
  • The Western Wizard (Renshai Trilogy, #2)
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2)
  • Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3)
  • The Gathering Storm (Crown of Stars, #5)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • Legends 2 (Legends 1, Volume 2of3)
  • Bonds of Vengeance (Winds of the Forelands, #3)
  • Exile's Return (Conclave of Shadows, #3)
  • Goddess of the Ice Realm (Lord of the Isles, #5)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • Skybowl (Dragon Star, #3)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

The Saga of Recluce (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2)
  • The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)
  • The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)
  • The Chaos Balance (The Saga of Recluce #7)
  • The White Order (The Saga of Recluce #8)
  • Colors of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #9)
  • Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #10)
  • Scion of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #11)

“That’s often the problem with rulers. They move people with their words, and because they do, they believe that they can use words to change the physical world. They can change people’s minds and feelings, but unless those people use shovels and some form of power, the words will not move the mountains.” 0 likes