Borkmann's Point (Inspector Van Veeteren #2)

Borkmann's Point (Inspector Van Veeteren #2)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  3,039 ratings  ·  258 reviews
Internationally bestselling author Häkan Nesser makes his U.S. debut with this riveting tale of murder and suspense that reveals the deep humanity of the characters portrayed even as it sends chills up the spine.

Chief Inspector Van Veeteren is called to the sleepy coastal town of Kalbringen to assist the local police in the investigation of two recent ax murders. Soon the...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1994)

Maria João Fernandes
Segundo Borkmann, todas as investigações atingem um ponto em que já foi reunida informação suficiente para resolver o crime com nada mais do que o simples pensamento lógico. Cabe ao responsável pelo caso saber quando este ponto é atingido.

E é isto que distingue um bom de um mau policia. Um mau policia continuará a reunir informação que, na pior das situações, irá prejudicar a resolução do mistério. Será Van Veeteren um bom ou mau policia?

O livro "Borkmann's Point" é o segundo livro da série do...more
Mark Stevens
Borkmann is an old cop, one of the few that Chief Inspector Van Veeteren respects. Van Veeteren is thinking about Borkmann while he’s sitting in the tub, three bottles of brown ale in a bucket of cold water on the floor “and a dish of fat olives within easy reach.”

In every investigation, Borkmann maintained, “there comes a point beyond which we don’t really need any more information. When we reach that point, we already know enough to solve the case by means of nothing more than some decent thi...more
Tony
Nesser, Hakan. BORKMANN’S POINT. (1994; Eng. trans. 2006). ****. Here’s an early Inspector Van Veeteren mystery that I could swear I’d read before, but I’m at an age where nothing much would surprise me. Van Veeteren is very much like a Swedish Poirot; he uses his little gray cells to his benefit to solve crimes. The crimes in this tale are particularly gruesome – there’s an axe murderer loose in Kaalbringen. The local force is small, and they request help from Stockholm. Bring on Van Veeteren!...more
Tahmeena
After a very good "Mind's Eye", I found this book slightly disappointing. The plot felt slow at times, which was pretty frustrating. However, that might be exactly what the author intended: the reader to become as frustrated as the investigative team with the lack of progress in solving the crime! If so, he was successful!

Having said that, this book had more good qualities than bad. The mystery was interesting enough...the "bad guy" was literally an axe murderer! The conclusion was somewhat surp...more
Rachelle Urist
I liked it. Didn't love it, but found it engaging and even engrossing enough to read it through. The book is notable for its complex story and cliff-hanger section endings. Those, not the characters, drive the reader on. The characters are interesting enough, and I liked the lone investigator, Van Veeteren. The ending, too, tied the various plot lines up tidily - and with satisfying surprise. I'll probably read more Hakan Nesser, but I'm going through a pile of Scandinavian mystery writers, and...more
bookczuk
Dec 10, 2011 bookczuk rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Carolyn (in SC) C234D Lattanzio
Recommended to bookczuk by: nancy oakes
Kind of a funny thing about this book. I read a review by a friend and put it on my wish list, then forgot about it.

Two years later, I found a copy of Borkmann's Point at the local Goodwill and grabbed it up, confusing Nesser's Van Veeteren with the mystery writer Janwillem Lincoln van de Wetering, and his wonderful series of books starring Grijpstra and de Gier, a pair of Amsterdam police officers. The book was snagged by my darling husband, who is a huge fan of Scandinavian mystery writers. He...more
Bonnie Brody
Borkmann's Point: An Inspector Van Veeteren Mystery is a Swedish import by Hakan Nesser. Borkmann's point refers to an axiom provided to Inspector Van Veeteren. Basically, the point is that in an investigation, there comes a time when there is enough information gathered to solve the crime. More information is useless and less information is not enough.

The gist of this novel is about an axe murderer who has killed three men by chopping off their heads. This serial killer is on the loose in the s...more
Roderick Hart
This excellent crime novel falls within the sub-genre of police procedural. The author may have been influenced by the Martin Beck series of Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö. We have the same interest in police procedure evidenced, for example, by the painstaking efforts of Inspector Kropke with his pins of many colours stuck into a map, the quoting verbatim of an interview as dialogue in transcript form, and van Veeteren’s habit of chewing on a tooth-pick lifted from the same habit of the Malmö detec...more
Jenny
I loved this book, and now I want to read more Inspector Van Veeteren mysteries by Hakan Nesser. An axmurderer? How cliche, right. Think again. This mystery is smart, post-modern, and defintely worth your time. Excellent character development, intriguing and economical narrative with just the right amount of philosophical musings.

Borkmann's point was an insight given to Inspector Van Veeteren by his superior early in Van Veetern's career, "In every investigation, he maintained, there comes a po...more
Susan
Dec. 22, 2012: except that I knew the solution, just as good second time around.

June 26, 2009: How long will it take clever Swedish chief inspector Van Veeteren off his native turf to find an ax-murderer in Kalbringen? Long enough for Hakan Nesser to give a complete analysis of a postcard-pretty Swedish beach town. Anyone can be the murderer or fall in love while Van Veeteren swaps chess moves and enjoys prime wine with the local head of police who is about to retire. Great example of the kind o...more
Gail
I stumbled across Hakan Nesser books by pure chance and after reading Mind's Eye I was thoroughly impressed, so downloaded the rest of the Van Veeteren novels. Thus, I started reading Borkmann's Point with a small degree of trepidation, as I didn't think this would be as good as its predecessor. I am glad to say I was totally wrong.

I will not go into the plot details, suffice to say that I was hooked from start to finish. I really like Van Veeteren and his sidekick, Munster. I thought I had figu...more
Linda  Branham Greenwell
I really like these English detective stories! Detective Van Veeteren
This is a good police procedural type of book - complete with an axe-murderer
The reader gets a real sense of the detectives, victims and other characters in the novel. Nesser has a real gift for this
But it a story about following every possible lead, interviewing hundreds of people, gathering massive reams if information, pursuing unrelated lines of inquiry and, somewhere in the process, finding the one piece of information tha...more
Naomi
There will be absolutely no hint of spoilers in Nesser reviews from me! I found Nesser books after running out of Karin Fossum books to read. Nesser's writing is excellent and does an unbelievable job at sucking the reader in to the twisted story being laid out. For some reason, in the majority of Scandanavian mystery writers I have found, their ability to do that is second to no other countries mystery writers. The only thing I am not happy about with Nesser's books is that it takes WAY too lon...more
Ken Mueller

One is reminded of the Martin Beck procedurals of Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö, the prose as clear as Nordic air, the clues as slippery as melting ice. Not that Nesser doesn't have his moments of song. As sibilant and ethereal as a Sibelius passage, our author will wax poetic:
"What we can be sure of , what we can rely on absolutely, is evil. It never lets us down. Good... goodness is only a stage set, a backdrop against which the satanic performs. Nothing else .....nothing."
But these are a sparse...more
Sandy

This is another Scandinavian author whose catalogue is gradually being translated for the North American audience. It features CI Van Veeteren, a Swedish cop with more than 30 years on the job.
Van Veeteren is currently enjoying the last days of his summer vacation when his chief calls. Seems they're having a little problem with an axe murderer in nearby Kaalbringen. Would he mind popping over & having a look around?
There he meets Bausen, the soon-to-retire chief & his crew, one...more
Helen
Borkmann's Point: "the point beyond which we really don't need any more information. When we reach that point, we already know enough to solve the case by means of nothing more than some decent thinking. " Strangely (as it is not at all obvious and there are several red herrings) I guessed the murderer straight away - but it seemed so unbelievable that I was sure I was wrong, and read the whole book very quickly hoping to prove that I was!

An axe murderer has struck twice in a sleepy seaside town...more
Cheryl
It read easily but without flair. Too much padding in attempt to prolong little bursts of weak suspense. Too much extraneous detail about various characters' interior lives which was completely irrelevant to the story, without the saving grace of providing a different perspective into the human condition. This seems to be a common pitfall in this genre. Enjoyed the short snippets of the villain's POV. Other than the names, it felt generic.
Donna
A great addition to the Scandinavian mystery genre. I am so glad more of Nesser's interesting books are being translated into English along with the books by Fossum, Eriksson, and Mankell.

Chief Inspector Van Veeteren is a complex man and since this first translated book is actually the third in the series there are references to his past which I hope will be explained in the recently translated first and second books in the series.
Dylan Edwards
Slow paced but dark procedural crime novel ..
David Peters
Like all police inspectors in the modern mystery novel, Hakan Nesser’s DCI Van Veeteren is an older, divorced, slightly depressed, plodding thinker. Slowly putting information together our intrepid DCI investigates a serial axe murderer in a sleepy coastal town in Northern Europe. Called in after the second death he works with the local police force ill equipped to handle a murder investigation.

Nothing seems to go right as he, the soon to be retired chief of police, and the two young local detec...more
Katherine
"I didn't think for a moment it had, thought Van Vetereen when he emerged into the street. But a shit needs to be reminded that he's a shit now and then" (82).
"...The expressway was endless. Endless and endlessly gray...sitting in the car and feeling sick and driving far too fast through this unbearably gray pointlessness" (110-111).
"...the garden of speculation was in full bloom" (130).
"Any day you fail to carve out even a short time to spend doing waht you really want to do is a wasted day" (1...more
Steve Dennie
“Borkman’s Point,” by Hakan Nesser, was written in 1993 but not published in English until 2006. It’s part of a series starring Chief Inspector Van Veeteren, whose popularity in Sweden rivals fellow fictional sleuths Kurt Wallander and Martin Beck. So far, five Van Veeteren books have appeared in English, the latest in 2010 (though it was originally written in 1997), and a sixth (written in 1998) is due later this year.

In this book, Van Veeteren is sent to a small town to help catch a serial mur...more
Trish Lata Gooljarsingh
Well, now that I have discovered Larsson I am jumping into the deep end with regards to the Scandinavian writers. I stumbled across this website with the most famous Scandinavian writes and names like Henning Mankell, Hakan Nesser, Jo Nesbo came rising to the surface.These are excellent books for some down time.

In this book by Nesser, an axe murder has just claimed his second victim and Van Veeteren is called in to investigate. I don't find the book enormously suspenseful but that could be becau...more
Anna
This is the third book in Van Veeteren series, but the first one that's available in English, so it's kind of the debut for Van Veeteren.
Van Veeteren is called for help to investigate two brutal ax murders in a sleepy coastal town of Kaalbringen, and there are more twists when there's a third body, and a colleague of his disappears.

I expected to like the series like the usual modern Swedish crime out there - Mankell or anything he's been an inspiration for, Larsson, Ericksson etc.
But this didn...more
Susana
Mark
Jul 12, 2014 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poeple that enjoy a good mystery
Recommended to Mark by: The scandanavian hype in our bookstores
After all the sensational reading I have done as writen by the American writers I recently enjoyed it was time for a change in pace and style..
Borkmann's Point is just that. It is about an axe wielding killer that seems to randomly strike down people. DCI van Veeteren is being asked to assist the local policeforce of a little coastal community in order to arrest this "serial killer". DCI van Veeteren does enjoy the company of the police chief of this local town and both seem to be similar people...more
Nancy Oakes
Borkmann's Point: "the point beyond which we really don't need any more information. When we reach that point, we already know enough to solve the case by means of nothing more than some decent thinking. " And it is precisely at this point that Inspector Van Veeteren begins to focus on the identity of the Axman, so called because of his propensity to commit murder with an axe. The inhabitants of the small Swedish town of Kaalbringen have become paralyzed with fear after the third murder, and it...more
Karen
BORKMANN'S POINT is the second book in the Inspector Van Veeteren series, but the only one currently available in English. Nesser lives in Sweden and has set his book in a fictitious small Scandinavian town.

An ex-con is murdered by a blow from a very unusual, extremely sharp instrument. Soon a real-estate mogul is killed in the same way seemingly with the same weapon. Van Veeteren, who was holidaying on the coast nearby, is stopped from returning home and sent to help the local under-experienced...more
Nikki
I hadn't heard of this author but my local independent bookshop was offering it at a really low price and I've recently seen several intriguing Scandinavian crime thriller/dramas, so it seemed a safe gamble. It's a good page turner with a dark sense of humour: the opening sentence is 'Had Ernst Simmel known he was to be the Axeman's second victim, he would no doubt have downed a few more drinks at The Blue Ship.' The lead detective who has to figure out the identity of the Axeman is a typical en...more
Rob Carseldine
This was my first read of Hakan Nesser and I'm very impressed. It really held my interest and kept me up late. The characters are well developed and credible, with enough personal details to create interest and tension. Sweeden seems to have several good crime writers and Nesser is certainly one of them, however, my favourite is still Henning Mankell. I will certainly try to find more books by Nesser.

Borkmann's Point is the second in the Van Veeteren series. Chief Inspector Van Veeteren is sent...more
  • Voices
  • Unspoken (Anders Knutas, #2)
  • Don't Look Back (Inspector Konrad Sejer, #2)
  • The Demon of Dakar (Ann Lindell, #7)
  • The Torso
  • The Shadow Woman (Inspector Winter #2)
  • The Locked Room (Martin Beck #8)
  • The Fourth Man
Håkan Nesser is a Swedish author and teacher who has written a number of successful crime fiction novels. He has won Best Swedish Crime Novel Award three times, and his novel Carambole won the Glass Key award in 2000. His books have been translated from Swedish into numerous languages.

Håkan Nesser was born and grew up in Kumla, and has lived most of his adult life in Uppsala. His first novel was p...more
More about Håkan Nesser...
Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1) The Return (Inspector Van Veeteren #3) Woman with Birthmark (Inspector Van Veeteren #4) The Inspector and Silence (Inspector Van Veeteren #5) Münsters Fall (Inspector Van Veeteren #6)