Start by marking “The Promise of an Angel (Heaven On Earth, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Promise of an Angel (Heaven On Earth, #1)

The Promise of an Angel (Heaven On Earth #1)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  452 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Interrupting the ordered routine of the Mecosta County Amish settlement, an angelic visitor awakens Judith to a new faith.

All Judith Fischer ever wanted is to marry within her community and raise a family. She longs for the day when her parents will allow Levi Plank to officially court her.

Published May 31st 2011 by Thomas Nelson (first published March 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Promise of an Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Promise of an Angel

Jodie
Judith is so shocked by her sister's actions toward a man that is supposed to be proposing to her, that she allows herself to take her eye off her little brother, Samuel. After hearing a scream, Judith runs to Samuel's side only to see him lying still with an angel standing over him. Curious as to what the angel told her, she tries to follow him, but to no avail. When Judith, known for story telling, shares her story with others, she is told to quit telling tales. Judith is sure she saw and hear ...more
Tillie
This book touched me. It was a fantastic book of how sometimes God makes his faithful wait till he's ready to show his miracle. I read it feeling like I was Judith. She had been through a tragedy relying on God and no matter how many people thought she was looney she stood by her story. By the end of the book I was actually in tears {I rarely get that emotionally attached to a book}, but this story grabbed me in from the start. I loved Judith's character, her innocence, her strength, her faith a ...more
Salena Stormo
Judith has dreamed of marrying Levi for years. Her parents insist that she cannot begin to court until she is nineteen. She is sure after her birthday Levi will ask her parents to court her. The day before her birthday tragedy happens when her little brother, Samuel, falls from the barn roof, while under Judith's care.

Judith sees an angel, Tobias, kneeling beside Samuel as he lies on the ground. Tobias tells Judith to keep the faith that Samuel will walk again. When she tells the community about
DJ

The Promise of an Angel is amazing — stupendous — incredible! The story is so mesmerizing, I felt like I was there — seeing and hearing everything going on. Eventually, I began to feel like I was in the presence of an angel, too! The story is that powerful!

I began reading this story after everyone had gone to bed… I read late into the night, but eventually had to stop — in order to get a few hours of sleep. The next day at work I finished the book during my lunch break. By the time I was done, m
Shari Larsen
This story takes place in an Amish community, set in Mecosta County, Michigan.

All Judith Fischer ever wanted was to marry Levi Plank and raise a family, but on the day that Judith suspects that Levi will ask her parents permission to court her, her 5 year old brother Samuel has an accident while under her charge. While rushing to Samuel's aid, she spies a strange man helping him, which she later believes was an angel.

When she shares her conviction with her family and friends, no one believes he
Andrea Guy
This is a different twist to the typical Amish novel. Angels aren't usually part of Amish novels and it gave the story a different focus.

There are some things that are predictable. A jealous sister, religious strife, two suitors....and the Amish woman torn apart by all of it. The angel really adds some spice, even though this story would have been just as powerful if it had been written as typical Amish fiction.

The issues surrounding Samuel's injury are enough to tug at the hardest heart.

Tobias,
Shannon
I just finished reading A Promise of an Angel, by Ruth Reid, another book I won from a Goodreads giveaway. This is a debut novel by this new author, and she is also a full-time pharmacist. (As a fellow full-time pharmacist, this gives me hope that someday I might be a published author as well.)

Judith Fischer’s plans for her life basically include marriage and children. She is finally about to turn 19 years old, which is old enough that her parents will allow her to begin courting. On the day tha
Molly
Jun 06, 2011 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Molly by: BookSneeze
Ruth Reid is a FANTASTIC author! Her beautiful writing and her tender characters in this new, debut Amish novel was wonderful. I was instantly captured and taken on a whirlwind ride of faith, believing and love. All things that really create a wonderful Amish story.

I truly loved Judith's story. She was known amongst their Amish community for telling stories to the little ones. So, when her little brother Samuel faces a tragedy and only she can see the angel that God sent, no one believes her. T
Kristin
‘The Promise of an Angel’ is the breakout novel in the Heaven on Earth
series by new Author, Ruth Reid. I really enjoyed the book and it was
unique in that it combines two genres, Amish Fiction and Angel Tales,
into one book. Unlike the second book, which I really enjoyed, you
can really tell that this book was written by a relatively new author.
There were small issues with the book, redundant words and sentences
that just didn't read well. The author still shows promise and I will
be reading more of
Cindy
Ruth Reid

2011 (Release date June 14)

Thomas Nelson

Fiction/Romance/Christian/Amish

Reviewed by Cindy Loven

Judith Fischer, loved children, and all her life all she has ever wanted it to join the church, marry and have a family. However an event that will forever change her life is threatening her dreams. During a barn raising her young brother fell from the roof of the barn, when Judith arrived to her brother, there was an Englischer standing over young Samuel, but he wasn't a regular man, he was an
Jettiep
Mar 02, 2011 Jettiep rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Amish Fiction
Recommended to Jettiep by: Cindy Loven
The Promise of an Angel, by Ruth Reid
A Heaven on Earth Novel
Published by Thomas Nelson Publishing
Release date June 11, 2011

At 19, Judith Fischer loves children, and entertains them with stories whenever she gets the chance. She hopes to join the church, marry and have lots of children of her own, hopefully with Levi Plank, a young man in the Amish community where she was raised.
When her young brother, Samuel, falls from the barn roof, Judith finds a large Englischer man hovering over him, and b
Raya Whitehouse
Book starts out with Judith getting ready to tell a story, and the children are picking names to go in the story and pick hers and Andrew (which makes Judith blush, and who is Levi's cousin). Her sister Martha shows off in front of the guys a little (by sashaying) and laughs with Levi, which in turn makes Judith mad, saying (in her head) that since she is turning 19 tomorrow, it should be she exchanging pleasantries with him, not Martha.

He’d talked about courting Judith as soon as she turned nin
Title: THE PROMISE OF AN ANGEL
Author: Ruth Reid
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
June 2011
ISBN: 978-1-59554-788-0
Genre: Inspirational/Amish

Judith Fischer has loved Levi Plank forever. And now that she’s nineteen, she’s waiting anxiously for Levi to want to court her. But tragedy strikes Judith’s household when she’s supposed to be watching her young brother, Samuel. Unsupervised, Samuel climbs up on the roof of the barn and falls off, leaving him paralyzed.

Seeing an English man kneeling beside Samuel, Ju
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
To everyone a measure of faith has been given, but Judith Fischer isn't sure just how large her's is!

Always known for her creative storytelling and her love of children, she spends her time taking care of them when she can. When her family needs to have a barn raised, Judith is placed in charge of the children she loves so much while the men tend to the building of the barn and the women begin the preparation of the food.

She also has the advantage of keeping a very close eye on Levi Plank, the m
Reena Jacobs
Jul 13, 2012 Reena Jacobs rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to be uplifted
Expect my full review July 25, 2011 on my blog: http://wp.me/pPz8s-1wY

With my paranormal kick, I haven’t spent much time reading Christian fiction these days… well, at least not before I got my hands on The Promise of an Angel. Now, I can’t help but look forward to my next Christian read (Amish preferably). This work had less of a paranormal aspect to it and more of a spiritual intervention flavor.

This was a feel good book. I couldn’t help but imagine living in a world as simplistic as the Amish
Grace
This is Ruth Reid's debut book and the first in the Heaven On Earth series. I would recommend this book to readers who like fictional stories about the Amish and their faith. It is a relatively easy read for the average reader. I would say this has a reading level of High School/Young Adult. The book did have a few errors in grammar and punctuation. The point of view does switch back and forth, which can sometimes be confusing on which character is speaking. There were times it was easy to know ...more
Christy  Hovey
This book is the first novel in the Heaven on Earth series. The setting takes place in an Amish (old-order) settlement in Michigan. The main character, Judith, is a nineteen year old Amish girl, strong in her beliefs, who is anxiously waiting to fulfill her destiny as an Amish woman by marrying and having children. She already has her hopes set on a man named Levi, and is completely enamored with him. The story begins with a barn raising event that ends in tragedy when Judith's younger brother h ...more
Tracy Smith
Storytelling at it's finest. That's what everyone believed to be true when Judith began telling tales about an angel named Tobias. He appears to her to guide her faith through this story as she deals with the guilt stemming from her little brother's accident to her uncertain future with the young men in her life. All she has ever known and wanted was a life connected to her church and family, filled with faith and the love of God. Follow this story, as she faces many trials and judgements, but s ...more
Ashley

But on the day Judith suspects Levi will ask her parent's permission, her younger brother Samuel has an accident under her charge. Rushing to Samuel's aid, Judith spies a strange man helping him; a man she later believes was an angel.

When she shares her conviction with her family and close friends, she is shocked to find that no
Rachel Brand
When her younger brother falls off a barn while in her care, Judith can't help but feel guilty for not keeping a closer eye on him. So she's relieved when a mysterious, English stranger tells her not to worry and that her brother will walk again. Throughout the tiring journey her family take to keep the farm running while waiting for hospital updates on her brother, this stranger continually appears to encourage Judith's hope in God and her brother's recovery. But when she tells her friends and ...more
Linda Yezak
I have to admit, I'm tired of Amish fiction. Quit reading it years ago.

But I recently had the opportunity to read this one while taking care of an ailing mother and was blessed with a pleasant surprise. This one was different.

When Judith's brother Samuel falls from the barn roof, she rushes to his side, only to find someone already there. That someone turns out to be Tobias, an angel, a messenger from God with a message for her. Problem is, when she shares that message with others, she becomes
Kellie Shulruff
I really enjoyed this book! Love when the author shows how a
conflict in the Church Community can get out of hand...but if we
stand for our faith and what we truly believe...the Lord will work it out.
Love is the first ingredient to that happening.
Love the way Ruth Reid writes...couldn't put it down and my Husband even sat
at the table with me last night, after dinner, for 3 hours...while I finshed
my book and he read his too.
THATS LOVE*S*
Diane U
Judith is good with entertaining children with stories. When her younger brother, Samuel, has an accident at a barn raising, he becomes paralyzed and is told that he will never walk again. Judith sees an angel who tells her differently. When she starts talking about it with Levi, Andrew and her family and everyone does not believe her and is convinced that she is making up more stories again. The bishop becomes involved and it may affect her as a member of the community.

I felt that this was a he
Colette
What a beautifully romantic love story! Judith is in love with Levi but her sister sets out to catch his eye and a tragic accident happens to their little brother Samuel. Judith believes she has seen an angel that that told her Samuel will walk again, but instead of sharing her faith, the members of the community begin to avoid her, all except for Andrew, the bishops son.
Itsjustme-wendy
Great book! I thought it was a very original idea. I believe this is part of a series and I certainly am interested in reading more of these wonderful books. This was a very sweet read, quick, and pleasant.
Great character development. I really liked Judith and I am glad that she "stuck to her guns" and didn't back down at the threats of the others. I hated Levi, what a jerk! But I guess there are even jerks in the Amish world too. I loved Andrew, what a perfect nice Amish boy, the type every par
Frances Chrisman
Such a beautiful story

This is the most amazing and touching story I have ever read. Imagine if you met an angel sent by God to help guide you and to stay strong to what you saw and your beliefs. I read the story with out putting it down. I enjoyed it very much.
Kav
Startling different in some aspects, The Promise of an Angel stands out from other Amish novels. I was hooked after a couple of pages by Reid's graceful writing style and captivating characters. In short order I loved Judith, wanted to wring Levi's neck and felt a special connection with Andrew. And don't get me started on Martha!!!! This book definitely catapulted me out of my humdrum existence and into something much more riveting.

For readers who might be wary of the angel angle -- don't be. I
Krystal
I’m always drawn back to books about the Amish community. Their utter devotion to god and godly living is both fascinating and inspiring. I only wish I could live my life like that. Minus the lack of technology, because lets face it I cant rough it for a week let along forever.

Anyway back to the book -

This book was a little different than other Amish Christian fiction books I have read but It was a nice change of pace from the usual way one is written. I loved how more Amish words were used and
Beth
Another lovely Amish romance. An old maid school teacher falls in love with a builder. This tells the story about their lives and how they intersect during and after a tornado.
April Suter
Psalm 91:11 For He shall give His angels charge over you, to keep you in all your ways.

Judith's brother has a horrible accident at the barn raising and she carries guilt about not protecting him. She sees an Angel and the Amish community will not believe her and forbids her from speaking of it. She is just finally old enough to court with her parent's permission. She has had her eye on Levi for years but her sister seems to interfere. She has something pretty important in common with Levi's cous
3 book giveaway! 1 7 Jul 20, 2011 05:00AM
Having a drawing for a signed copy of this book!! 1 4 Jun 21, 2011 02:23PM
  • Treasuring Emma (Middlefield Family, #1)
  • Lilly's Wedding Quilt (Patch of Heaven, #2)
  • Abigail's New Hope (Wayne County, #1)
  • The Wounded Heart (Amish Quilt, #1)
  • Beside Still Waters (The Big Sky Series, #1)
  • The Caregiver (Families of Honor, #1)
  • Naomi's Gift: An Amish Christmas Story
  • Seek Me with All Your Heart (Land of Canaan, #1)
  • Patchwork Dreams (Amish of Seymour County, #1)
  • Courting Ruth (Hannah's Daughters, #1)
  • The Wings of Morning (Snapshots in History, #1)
  • Rebecca's Promise (Adams County #1)
  • To Love and to Cherish (The Bliss Creek Amish #1)
  • Plain Jayne (Plain and Simple, #1)
  • The Amish Nanny (The Women of Lancaster County, #2)
  • Lydia's Charm

Ruth Reid is a CBA and ECPA best-selling author of the Heaven on Earth series. She's a full-time pharmacist who resides in Florida with her husband and three children.
More about Ruth Reid...

Heaven On Earth (3 books)
  • Brush of Angel's Wings (Heaven On Earth #2)
  • An Angel by Her Side (Heaven On Earth #3)
A Miracle of Hope (The Amish Wonders, #1) Brush of Angel's Wings (Heaven On Earth #2) An Angel by Her Side (Heaven On Earth #3) A Woodland Miracle Her Christmas Pen Pal (An Amish Second Christmas)