Start by marking “The Devil You Know” as Want to Read:
The Devil You Know

The Devil You Know

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Be careful what you wish for . . .

The Fell Family has a small problem--a little devil that lives in their house. He does all sorts of bad things, and the Fells are fed up. When the prim and proper Ms. Phisto mysteriously appears and offers to remove the little devil and come take his place, the Fells are all too happy.
But trading in one small problem for something else m
Published September 21st 2005 by Walker Childrens

To ask other readers questions about The Devil You Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil You Know

Emily Johnson
I grabbed this book off of the shelf with the controversial book assignment in mind and it did not disappoint! The story follows the Fell family and their struggles of getting rid of a little devil. This devil causes all kinds of problems for the family and completely trashes their house on multiple occasions. So when a green lady appears at their door and tells them she has the answer to their little devil problems, they go along with the plan. In the contract they signed it turns out that the ...more
Christy
Be careful what you wish for . . .

But trading in one small problem for something else m...moreBe careful what you wish for . . .

Ruth
May 13, 2015 Ruth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Fun lesson. A family trades a small problem for a bigger one because they didn't read the details. There is always something worse than what you've got. The pictures were a lot of fun as well.
orangerful
I checked out this book because I like Nathan Hale's art style and his Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: One Dead Spy series.

It's an odd little folktale about a family that moves into a house occupied by a little devil. When the devil pushes them too far, they strike a deal with another demon to get rid of him. Of course, this backfires. A "careful what you wish for" tale. Young children who think they want a "scary" story with "devils and demons" might find this the perfect fit.
Elaine
I'd never heard/read this tale before, but it certainly was memorable! Great illustrations too.
Sheri
It is a miracle that must be documented... My 5-year-old son sat through an entire book and actually listened to the story! This is just a fun story about a family who signs a contract to get rid of their troublesome family devil, only to receive something much worse in it's place. I giggled at the story and marveled at the incredible illustrations. Every page has incredible detail that is just plain fun to look at. And again, the kids loved it. Worth every penny I spent!
Brandi
Any book that my seven year old (who dislikes reading) will read more than once deserves five stars. The illustrations in this book are great. The story is about a family who wants to be rid of the little devil who makes a disaster of their home. They sign a contact to be rid of him but end up with much worse. A great rendering of the idiom "Better the devil you know than the one you don't." My kids will be so sad when we have to return this book to the library.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
This one ended up being quite a fun little story with amusing illustrations. While as an adult, the sort of horrible tricks the devils played made me cringe, I think a lot of children would get a big kick out of this. I was also confused as to how Hale would be able to wrap up this story without slipping into something trite but thoguht the ending was great.
Jenn
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! Get this book! Love this book! An extremely original story with a spin on folk sayings like "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know" or "caught between the devil and the deep blue sea." Lovely, lovely pictures. Nathan is so clever!
Queen
Hilarious. Also, useful in me explaining about imaginary and real devils. ;-)
the illustrations are rich and entertaining. The story is straight to the point and clever. Now, how do I get magicked away to Acapulco?
Rachel
One of those pictures books that is more for adults than for children and ome of the plot points don't make sense, but the illustrations are interesting.
Brenna's Kids Books
Super cute! Awesome illustrations! But little kids might be disturbed by the devils... They're kind of cute, but might scare a little kid
Liza Gilbert
Interesting. Nice art. Strange to have demons and devils in a picture book for children. The message is nice, but oddly presented. A curiosity.
Katie Henderson
I'm a huge fan of Nate's art, and the details in this book are Nate Hale at his best.
Jessica
When you trade the devil you know for the devil you don't, you just might get burned!
Sarah Kirby
Love! We got it from the library. We will be buying our own copy.
Marilyn
Absolutely stunning illustrations. Very cute book.
Tiffany
Jun 27, 2008 Tiffany rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids ages 4 to 100
Shelves: kids-storytime
So fun! Gorgeous, intricate drawings, great story!
Cute and funny, better the devil you know!
Emily
Delightful picture book. Great illustrations.
Nicole
You just have to read it yourself!
Javon
Javon added it
Mar 01, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Nathan Hale is the New York Times best-selling author/illustrator of the Hazardous Tales series, as well as many picture books including Yellowbelly and Plum go to School, the Twelve Bots of Christmas and The Devil You Know.

He is the illustrator of the Eisner-nominated graphic novel Rapunzel's Revenge and its sequel, Calamity Jack. He also illustrated Frankenstein: A Monstrous Parody, The Dinosaur
More about Nathan Hale...
Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: One Dead Spy Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Donner Dinner Party Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Big Bad Ironclad! Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Treaties, Trenches, Mud, and Blood (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #4) The Twelve Bots of Christmas