Start by marking “Why I'm Still Married: Women Write Their Hearts Out on Love, Loss, Sex, and Who Does the Dishes” as Want to Read:

Twenty-four bestselling and award-winning women writers explore one of life's most challenging and rewarding relationships

In the spirit of the bestselling The Bitch in the House, Why I'm Still Married captures the passion, loss, joy, friendship, and humor that marks lifelong commitment through a brilliant kaleidoscope of voices, such as Julia Alvarez, Susan Cheever, Eliz
Published January 19th 2006 by Hudson Street Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Why I'm Still Married, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why I'm Still Married

Tracy
Jan 31, 2008 Tracy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who is married or thinking of getting married
Sometimes books have a way of finding you just when you need them most. I randomly pulled this one off the library shelf one night. As it turns out, it was exactly what I needed to read. Karen Propp and Jean Trounstine brought together talented female writers to discuss the trials and joys that come along with having a life long committed relationship. At a time when, after a year and 6 months of marriage, it finally feels like my husband and I are entering the "honeymoon" period, no other words ...more
Katie Lynn
I am hesitant to post that I've read this because apparently there is a rumor that the reason I'm in Peru is because of a rocky marriage. Whatever. Of course, I also hear that I'm looking for a child to bring home too... guess I'd better get on that quickly considering the time is half over. :)

I would not recommend this book to anyone that is uncomfortable reading about relationships that do not fit within their personal values as it is very liberal in defining marriage. I did find several nugge
Kathy Ahn
Mar 28, 2008 Kathy Ahn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
I have committment problems. But I continue to date and my friends continue to get married. I thought this book might turn me off to marriage (a silly assumption since the title would indicate otherwise), but instead, it finally nailed home a piece of wisdom I've spent the last year learning (slowly): that marriage isn't happily ever after; conflict, problems, occasional misery are normal.

I find that the diversity of couples that are written about in the book makes this point even more clear. He
Diana
Apr 27, 2009 Diana rated it liked it
This book is a collection of essays, by women writers, in various stages of life, who dish about married life. It is uneven, b/c some writers appeal to me more than others. Also, the best essays are the ones about heartbreak, unappealing behaviors in husbands, etc. As always, writing about the perfect life and the perfect husband is just BORING.
Lacey Louwagie
I think what I liked best about this book was that it showed that there are so many different ways to be married. Marriage is an institution that looks different for everyone, and the voyeur in me likes to peek inside other people's, inevitably comparing them to my own (mostly along the lines of: "I would never put up with THAT," but of course "that" is very different when it's attached to someone you love vs. something you are reading about in a book and totally detached from.)

The book is arran
Kristen
I was hoping this book would give me a better sense of what keeps a marriage going and of why people keep trying their hand at this thing even after so many others have failed (and failed spectacularly). I suppose it answered those questions but each response was so personal and specific that it seems it really is something you just have to try to figure out and make work as a couple. I foolishly hoped there was some sort of over-arching wisdom these women could espouse but there really isn't an ...more
Katie
Apr 08, 2013 Katie rated it liked it
I read this because I had heard good things about one of the essays in particular (by Julia Alvarez, if you are curious). Like most compilations of essays, this book has some good bits and some that are just plain hard to get through. However, there were enough redeeming moments that I made my way through it, and do not regret doing so.
I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend this book to just anyone, but if something about it interests you, it's worth a gander.
Catherine
This book featured a variety of essays by women writers on marriage. I found most of the stories interesting to fair. The common thread with all of their stories was that as no two people are alike, no two lives joined together in holy matrimony are alike either. Every marriage is different. And if the alchemy of the two personalities joined together in the marriage works, celebrate.
Angela
Apr 09, 2013 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting collection organized in sections by the number of years married, from 1 through 5, 5 through 10, 10 through 20, and 20 and above.

A rich diversity of voices from women who have loved, lost, and learned to endure.

I was particularly impressed with the less than perfect marriages that showed no signs of why they should still be around but have endured nonetheless.
Jessi
Jul 11, 2010 Jessi rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, essays
Essasys from famous women writers about the trials and triumphs of their marriages. The essays are arranged by the number of years the women have been married. Some were very good (especially the essay by Julia Alvarez) and some were not so great.
Anna
Dec 02, 2009 Anna rated it really liked it
Okay, this looks like a self-help book, and my mother gave it to me (not that that is a strike against it--she has wonderful taste in books), and the cover is horrendous, BUT--it's actually really great. Honest, funny, brutal and full of love.
Anne
Oct 21, 2007 Anne rated it it was amazing
Reflections on marriage by some very fine female writers. Organized chronologically, these essays are thoughtful, considered, provocative. It was a book that was difficult to put down. I think that even men might enjoy it.
Deb
Sep 08, 2008 Deb rated it liked it
Interesting short stories. I wish that it would have been organized in the reverse order but it was worth reading.
LK
Jul 28, 2012 LK rated it it was amazing
A must-read for wives, and a great read for husbands. This made me feel so much better about my marriage.
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2008
Jolie
Jolie rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2010
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2011
Barbara Joseph
Barbara Joseph rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Kathryn E Linder
Kathryn E Linder rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2007
Aurora
Aurora rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2008
lisa
May 03, 2012 lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I guess I haven't been married long enough to appreciate most of the essays in this book.
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Oriana Basile
Oriana Basile rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2013
Mao
Mao rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2008
Jean Trounstine
Apr 04, 2012 Jean Trounstine rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Tree
Tree rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2012
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2007
Janice
Janice rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2011
Reneka
Reneka rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2007