Start by marking “Why I'm Still Married: Women Write Their Hearts Out on Love, Loss, Sex, and Who Does the Dishes” as Want to Read:

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Twenty-four bestselling and award-winning women writers explore one of life's most challenging and rewarding relationships

In the spirit of the bestselling The Bitch in the House, Why I'm Still Married captures the passion, loss, joy, friendship, and humor that marks lifelong commitment through a brilliant kaleidoscope of voices, such as Julia Alvarez, Susan Cheever, Eliz
Published January 19th 2006 by Hudson Street Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Why I'm Still Married, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why I'm Still Married

Katie Lynn
I am hesitant to post that I've read this because apparently there is a rumor that the reason I'm in Peru is because of a rocky marriage. Whatever. Of course, I also hear that I'm looking for a child to bring home too... guess I'd better get on that quickly considering the time is half over. :)

I would not recommend this book to anyone that is uncomfortable reading about relationships that do not fit within their personal values as it is very liberal in defining marriage. I did find several nugge
Tracy
Mar 04, 2008 Tracy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who is married or thinking of getting married
Sometimes books have a way of finding you just when you need them most. I randomly pulled this one off the library shelf one night. As it turns out, it was exactly what I needed to read. Karen Propp and Jean Trounstine brought together talented female writers to discuss the trials and joys that come along with having a life long committed relationship. At a time when, after a year and 6 months of marriage, it finally feels like my husband and I are entering the "honeymoon" period, no other words ...more
Kathy Ahn
I have committment problems. But I continue to date and my friends continue to get married. I thought this book might turn me off to marriage (a silly assumption since the title would indicate otherwise), but instead, it finally nailed home a piece of wisdom I've spent the last year learning (slowly): that marriage isn't happily ever after; conflict, problems, occasional misery are normal.

I find that the diversity of couples that are written about in the book makes this point even more clear. He
Diana
This book is a collection of essays, by women writers, in various stages of life, who dish about married life. It is uneven, b/c some writers appeal to me more than others. Also, the best essays are the ones about heartbreak, unappealing behaviors in husbands, etc. As always, writing about the perfect life and the perfect husband is just BORING.
Kristen
I was hoping this book would give me a better sense of what keeps a marriage going and of why people keep trying their hand at this thing even after so many others have failed (and failed spectacularly). I suppose it answered those questions but each response was so personal and specific that it seems it really is something you just have to try to figure out and make work as a couple. I foolishly hoped there was some sort of over-arching wisdom these women could espouse but there really isn't an ...more
Katie
I read this because I had heard good things about one of the essays in particular (by Julia Alvarez, if you are curious). Like most compilations of essays, this book has some good bits and some that are just plain hard to get through. However, there were enough redeeming moments that I made my way through it, and do not regret doing so.
I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend this book to just anyone, but if something about it interests you, it's worth a gander.
Catherine
This book featured a variety of essays by women writers on marriage. I found most of the stories interesting to fair. The common thread with all of their stories was that as no two people are alike, no two lives joined together in holy matrimony are alike either. Every marriage is different. And if the alchemy of the two personalities joined together in the marriage works, celebrate.
Angela
An interesting collection organized in sections by the number of years married, from 1 through 5, 5 through 10, 10 through 20, and 20 and above.

A rich diversity of voices from women who have loved, lost, and learned to endure.

I was particularly impressed with the less than perfect marriages that showed no signs of why they should still be around but have endured nonetheless.
Anna
Okay, this looks like a self-help book, and my mother gave it to me (not that that is a strike against it--she has wonderful taste in books), and the cover is horrendous, BUT--it's actually really great. Honest, funny, brutal and full of love.
Jessi
Essasys from famous women writers about the trials and triumphs of their marriages. The essays are arranged by the number of years the women have been married. Some were very good (especially the essay by Julia Alvarez) and some were not so great.
Anne
Reflections on marriage by some very fine female writers. Organized chronologically, these essays are thoughtful, considered, provocative. It was a book that was difficult to put down. I think that even men might enjoy it.
Deb
Interesting short stories. I wish that it would have been organized in the reverse order but it was worth reading.
LK
A must-read for wives, and a great read for husbands. This made me feel so much better about my marriage.
lisa
I guess I haven't been married long enough to appreciate most of the essays in this book.
Laurie
24 intimate looks at how vastly different marriages can be. Broke open my world!
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Claire Southerly
Claire Southerly marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Susan Moss
Susan Moss marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
cara
cara marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Daniél Minton
Daniél Minton marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
In Sickness & in Health: A Love Story The Pregnancy Project: Encounters with Reproductive Therapy