Start by marking “The Secret of the Universe” as Want to Read:
The Secret of the Universe

The Secret of the Universe

One of America's premier science authors answers common questions about the universe, including the weight of the sun, as well as about issues closer to home, such as "How do civilizations--including our own--deteriorate?" Reprint.
Published February 1st 1991 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of the Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of the Universe

Jason Smith
Dec 21, 2016 Jason Smith rated it liked it
A collection of Asimov's essays originally published in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction 1989-1990. I'm a long time fan of Asimov's, but despite the free-flowing style he writes in and the structurally organized nature of the essays in parts 1 and 2, I find some to be unnecessarily dense with facts and figures without furthering the narrative.

My favorite parts of the essays focused on the narrative - a storyteller regaling discoveries I am already familiar and the process by which gre
Javier
Dec 13, 2015 Javier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El secreto del universo es sin duda uno de los libros mas interesantes que he podido leer, no solo del propio autor sino de todos los libros que de ensayos tratan.
De una forma sencilla y amena asimov no solo nos aporta una cantidad indiscutible de conocimientos sino que tambien nos proporciona una serie de opiniones elaboradas que nos permite pensar por nosotros mismos, con independencia de si estamos de acuerdo con sus argumentos o no.
Los temas que se tratan en el libro son tan variados que van
Leslie D. Soule
Feb 20, 2014 Leslie D. Soule rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
A surprising number of misspellings in this work. However, this does not become too distracting and the work itself is fascinating for its insight and the way it debunks myths about how the universe really works. Asimov's writing flows well and this book was a fairly easy read, despite the depth of the material presented.
Andrew
Feb 18, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good stuff. i really like his writing style, he clearly maps out his ideas (scientific or otherwise) and give an appropriate amount of background information.

makes me want to read some of his non-fiction.
Sebastian
Mar 24, 2016 Sebastian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un libro apasionante sobre algunos de los misterios de nuestro universo, con viajes hacia el pasado de nuestra historia y como la humanidad estudio el tema a lo largo de su desarrollo en el tiempo.
Katherine Hill
Katherine Hill rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Ian Newell
Ian Newell rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2012
Susana
lido em português: O Segredo do Universo
Oscar Del Sébastien
Oscar Del Sébastien rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Avi
Avi rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2010
Robert Gourley
Robert Gourley rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2012
Pattie Brassard
Pattie Brassard rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2007
Mor
Mor rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2008
Zanarkand Faith
Zanarkand Faith rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Bill Lockhart
Bill Lockhart rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2015
Victoria
Victoria rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Pattie Brassard
Pattie Brassard rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2007
Jennifer Chang
Jennifer Chang rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Braxton Thomason
Braxton Thomason rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2016
Daniel Wolf
Daniel Wolf rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2010
Sidra
Sidra rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2011
Jack
Jack rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2009
Mafalda
Mafalda rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2013
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2011
Ajay
Ajay rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2014
Gestimonio
Gestimonio rated it liked it
May 24, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Dreader
Dreader rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2014
Greg Talbot
Greg Talbot rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...

“Isn't it sad that you can tell people that the ozone layer is being depleted, the forests are being cut down, the deserts are advancing steadily, that the greenhouse effect will raise the sea level 200 feet, that overpopulation is choking us, that pollution is killing us, that nuclear war may destroy us - and they yawn and settle back for a comfortable nap. But tell them that the Martians are landing, and they scream and run.” 151 likes
“What would you consider a good job?" Answered as follows:
"A good job is one in which I don't have to work, and get paid a lot of money."
When I heard that I cheered and yelled and felt that he should be given an A+, for he had perfectly articulated the American dream of those who despise knowledge. What a politician that kid would have made.”
14 likes