Het knekelhuis

Het knekelhuis

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  504 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Dig. The Demon Dog gets down with a new book of scenes from America’s capital of kink: Los Angeles. Fourteen pieces, some fiction, some nonfiction, all true enough to be admissible as state’s evidence, and half of it in print for the first time. And every one of them bearing the James Ellroy brand of mayhem, machismo, and hollow-nose prose.

Here are Mexican featherweights...more
Published September 2005 by Atlas (first published November 6th 2003)

Christie
I am an unabashed James Ellroy fan, but I am always a little leery of his short story collections. After reading his novels - The Black Dahlia, the Underground USA Trilogy - I never feel like he'll have enough time in a short story to deliver the type of punch-to-the-gut that he delivers with his novels.

My fears always prove unfounded. Like his other short story collection (Hollywood Nocturnes), Ellroy proves that he's just as gifted with the art of the short story and novella as he is with the...more
Joe  Noir
Pretty good, and representative, collection from James Ellroy. Eight are non-fiction crime pieces that originally appeared in GQ magazine. Three are fiction, written in his riffing 50's jazz style, and readers will probably judge them based on how they feel about Ellroy personally. Check out "Stephanie", "Grave Doubt", and "My Life As A Creep", standout non-fiction from GQ. Illustrated throughout with terrific photographs.
Simon
I'm not yet fully familiar with James Ellroy's most acclaimed work, but so far I'm pondering whether he's actually a better journalist/memoirist than a novelist. This volume contains both autobiographical accounts of the author's youth as a juvenile delinquent in 1960s Los Angeles, almost Tom Wolfe/Hunter Thompson-style reporting on everything from police investigations over professional sports to the history of tabloid magazines... as well as the occasional work of fiction about things like (ap...more
Rich Cresswell
The only other Ellroy I had read was "The Black Dahlia," which had an obsessive, strange quality to it that I found quite compelling. This book explains why, in the first half, as Ellroy writes some non-fiction memoirs regarding his mother's own murder, his misadventures as a criminal and wannabe Nazi (to out counter-culture the counter-culture) in his early life in Los Angeles. Ellroy is an unapologetic LA bastard, and that's what makes his prose good.

The second half of the book is 3 short sto...more
Joe Mossa

this is the worst book ive ever tried to read. read 226 of 389pgs. true crime memories-crime slang,way too much alliteration,silly,sad,bad. what does worst book mean to me ? i couldn t understand much of this book and i couldn t understand james joyce s ULYSSES. to put those two books in the same review is silly,sad,bad. i had a very hard time finishing james jone s SOME CAME RUNNING even though i enjoyed his FROM HERE TO ETERNITY. i used to say that scr was the worst book i had ever read but d...more
Jef Choice
This thing was a total pile of shit. If you are amused and amorous about all alliteration at all times, this is the book for you. If that lest sentence bugged you, dont even bother.
Chandler Chandler
After reading this collection of shorts from James Ellroy, it is not hard to imagine why he has failed to materialize as a household name. As a crime fiction writer he routinely focuses on the same seedy characters, so homogeneous that it is difficult to tell them apart. His style derives from the trash gossip tabloids he read in the 50's and 60's as a teenager. These tabloids often outed celebrity homosexuals and hop-heads in the seemingly puritanical land of Hollywood glamour. Ellroy is at his...more
Brian Fagan
Ellroy writes like Jazz. Read it and you'll get what i'm saying. Don't read it and you might as well stick your dopey head in the sand and stay there!
Ero
Several splendid sections, soused sourly by several sloppily squelched with all-pervasive and awkward alliteration.
William Johnson
Well ... that was ... something.

Destination:Morgue is a weird collection of non-fiction and crime fiction that at once seems to all fit together and also be so separate and different that you wonder how the hell this work came together. Was all this stuff just lying around and they put it in a book? Methinks this might actually be the case.

Ellroy is, as always, compulsively readable but this collection is definitely not his best work. It feels like said collection of things that just didn't make...more
William Powell
OK, I really like many things about James Ellroy. I mean, he's a mystery writer's mystery writer. Raw as a slab of bacon. This is a collection of his shorts. With stories in this collection called Hollywood Fuck Pad and Hot Prowl Rape-O, the dude is just hardcore--not because he's vulgar but because he's unfiltered as a Gauloise. And his style has a cutthroat concision that's so to the point it really requires thought to keep up with legal back and forth. He's a mystery legend. A prodigy. Amazin...more
Josh
A smattering of true crime cold cases revisited from the author’s perspective, essays of a personal and professional nature, and a collection of three novellas linked by a cop’s prolonged infatuation with a Hollywood starlet. James Ellroy’s DESTONATION MORGUE offers plenty of diversity for the reader but be warned, the style is an acquired taste. Readers will either love or loathe Ellroy’s writing. Luckily, I loved it.

There are consistent themes within DESTINATION MORGUE; sex, crime, and those...more
Natalie
This book combined a few "true crime" tales, a few of Ellroy's stories of his misspent youth, and a trio of so-called "novellas" (they're too short to be marked with that sobriquet) that take place over twenty years beginning in 1983 Los Angeles.

Ellroy's authorial style, which I really dig, is too sparse for a true crime jaunt - real life is far too detailed and nuanced for his staccato, over-alliterative, uber-noir awesomeness, and it's difficult for him to exploit and maintain control over sai...more
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Ok, I'm really sick of writing reviews. There was a time when I corresponded w/ about 1,400 people & I kept track of it all w/ a record-keeping system that became so laboriously bureaucratic that I got sick of it & lost touch w/ almost everyone. Now the same thing's happening w/ bks. Almost everytime I read one I start to have such detailed responses to them that it's becoming a ridiculous chore to try to write a review. It's taking the fun out of reading. SO, keep that in mind as I try...more
Jason
Destination: Morgue! collects a bunch of non-fiction pieces Ellroy wrote over the past decade (mostly for GQ) and several novellas that were never published. I was apprehensive going in, since I know this has a reputation as being one of the worst Ellroy books out there. For the first half, I didn't believe that at all — the bulk of the essays were quite compelling. Ellroy lets his obsessions guide his writing, and he's had a crazy life.

But while he manages to jam elements from his essays into...more
Tyler
Interesting book because it is a collection of various pieces throughout the year. It suffers from repition in themes and but that repition also strenghens the book because it kind of gets you into Ellroy's mind, the things he obsesses over. The non-fiction covers the same ground as My Dark Places but it adds some new wrinkles. There are plenty of other stories that cover different sides of crime as well, and boxing. They are really good. The last novellas are written in his machine-gun aliterat...more
Erik
[Dutch]
De naam James Ellroy doet in boekminnend Nederland misschien niet meteen een belletje rinkelen, maar deze Amerikaanse schrijver van misdaadromans heeft al menig succes weten te boeken. Zo hebben velen bijvoorbeeld de film L.A. Confidential met onder anderen Kim Basinger en Kevin Spacey mogen aanschouwen. Deze film is gebaseerd op Ellroy's gelijknamige boek.

Lees meer op 8WEEKLY
Jess
I've never read James Ellroy before, maybe then I would understand. Maybe this is his "style" of writing, but I couldn't stand it. Short sentence fragments, poor grammer. I found the fact that there is not one complete sentence in the whole book to be a huge distraction. It felt difficult to read because it was a series of fragmented sentences, and for some reason that made me read much slower than normal. I guess because that's not what my brain is used to.
Maybe I'll give it another shot someda...more
Paul Shannon
Small form Ellroy. These are mostly short pieces with the best being the stories towards the end that link the obsessive cop with the actress.
Jeff
Too bad this guy can't write fiction anymore. Really ever since My Dark Places his non-fiction is the only thing worth reading. If you could cut the fiction out of this collection I'd give it more stars. It's sad, and I honesly can't think of a writer I liked so much who lost it so quickly and so thoroughly, but Ellroy has a future if he just goes sticks with journalism and does it in his gonzo style.
Connor
Jungletown Jihad baby! A leadfooted romp through the highways and byways of Los Angeles. Some winners and some losers, but the majority of tales in this collection have their own unique Ellroy/noir charm. Ellroy also waxes on his time as a juvenile panty-sniffing perv and dexedrine addict. A great read- Be circumspect of any commie creep that says differently.
Thomas Greaves
I love James Ellroy, but this is unessential. There's only one article in here that is essential, it's "Grave Doubt", and it's great. Ellroy and his detective friend from My Dark Places investigate a Texas capital murder case which ends up changing his mind about the death penalty. It helped crystallize my thoughts about the issue as well.
Jon Yates
A carnal cluster of crime carnage from the clammy claws of Ellroy at his alliterative best, with a bit too much overlap between the non-fiction reportage of the first half and the novellas of the latter, perhaps, but a quick, hard read...as fascistly fun as they come.
Kara Owens
Feb 15, 2008 Kara Owens rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only to die hard fans of Elroy
Although I have enjoyed Elroy's novels in the past, I do not think his writing style works in these short stories. This collection feels like a throw away of pre-novel ideas that never came together, like half hearted doodles from an artists trash can.
Paul
Patchy collection of short pieces and three novellas. Mixes non-fiction and fiction. The autobiographical pieces are the most interesting. The novellas at the end are pot-boliers, and at times almost read like self-parody.
Bonnie Martin
Having recently re-read Ellroy's "L.A. Quartet" - not his best outing. Tired of alliteration and period-appropriate racial/sexual-orientation/etc. slurs by the time I got to this final book on my shelf.
Rafael Corvera burciaga
Una recopilación de varios relatos hechos por el autor, unos buenos, otros no tanto. Mi favorito: Stephanie, fue el único relato que en el que no pude despegar los ojos hasta que terminé de leerlo.
Simon Sweetman
My first time reading James Ellroy and I loved it. What a style. Some great pieces here. Some brutal honesty. And some clever stylising - sometimes both at the same time.
Matt
Wow. Want Ellroy's amazing best? It's here. Curious to check out the Demon Dog's raging, egocentric worst? It's here. Essential, though sometimes annoying.

Cheers.
CJ
The novella at the end was vintage Ellroy; top stuff - the self indulgent stuff at the beginning was fine, and that seems to be his thing these days, but doesn't get me going
  • The Little Girls
  • The Baroness: The Search for Nica, the Rebellious Rothschild
  • Zero at the Bone
  • The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps
  • A Swollen Red Sun
  • All Shot Up (Harlem Cycle, #5)
  • Phantom Lady
  • The Wounded and the Slain (Hard Case Crime #31)
  • The Sea and Civilization: A Maritime History of the World
James Ellroy was born in Los Angeles in 1948. His L.A. Quartet novels—The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential, and White Jazz—were international best sellers. His novel American Tabloid was Time magazine’s Best Book (fiction) of 1995; his memoir, My Dark Places, was a Time Best Book of the Year and a New York Times Notable Book for 1996. His novel The Cold Six Thousand was a New York...more
More about James Ellroy...
The Black Dahlia (L.A. Quartet, #1) L.A. Confidential (L.A. Quartet, #3) American Tabloid (Underworld USA, #1) The Big Nowhere White Jazz (L.A. Quartet, #4)

“There's a kid or some kids somewhere. I'll never know them. They're particle-puzzle-cubing right now. They might be mini-misanthropes from Moosefart, Montana. They might be demi-dystopians from Dogdick, Delaware. They dig my demonic dramas. The metaphysic maims them. They grasp the gravity. They'll duke it out with their demons. They'll serve a surfeit of survival skills. They won't be chronologically crucified.

They'll shore up my shit. They'll radically revise it. They'll pass it along.”
4 likes