Start by marking “Chill of Night” as Want to Read:
Chill of Night

Chill of Night (Night #6)

A Killer Strikes Again... And Again...
A twisted serial killer is stalking the streets of New York City, dealing his own perverse brand of justice. He kills silently, leaving his calling card—a red "J"—on the bodies of his victims. The only man with a shot at finding the killer is tough-as-nails retired NYPD homicide detective Artemis Beam. And he’s more than willing to ret
ebook, PDF, 400 pages
Published September 9th 2010 by Kensington Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Chill of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chill of Night

Sidna
I bought this used paperback book at a Literacy Luncheon and forgot about it until I was looking for something to read one day. It was an okay thriller, but didn't quite live up to the hype on the cover. According to the cover "John Lutz is one of the masters" and "John Lutz knows to make you shiver." I'm not big on books that make you shiver and this one certainly did not do it for me.

The premise of the book is that there is a serial killer stalking New York City. He calls himself the Justice K
Matt Barker
Feb 28, 2010 Matt Barker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book that grasps you right from the start. Highly recommended!

Publisher's Summary

There's a twisted serial killer stalking the streets of New York City, dealing his own perverse version of justice. He kills swiftly and silently, leaving his calling card: a red J on the bodies of his prey. His victims have one thing in common: they've all been jurors in the city's most infamous cases; cases in which the killer was found not guilty. Overnight, the Justice Killer has the city in a s
Marla
Jul 23, 2014 Marla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
I had never read anything by John Lutz and got this book from the library. I loved this book and had no idea who the Justice Killer was until the very end of the book. This is a really good murder/detective novel. I will be reading more of his books.
Marianne Nichols
Mar 10, 2016 Marianne Nichols rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it. I like crime/cop books though. Will read more of this author.
Abbe
From Publishers Weekly

Against the backdrop of a terrorized city, Lutz delivers a solid thriller with typical skill and style. Ex-NYPD homicide detective Artemis Beam made his reputation by running down serial killers. Now retired—in part because of a gunshot wound, in part his disrespect for the police hierarchy—Beam morosely deals with the inactivity of retirement, tragically complicated by the recent suicide of his wife. When Deputy Chief Andy da Vinci asks for his help in catching a serial

Randy
Sep 08, 2014 Randy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
From Publishers Weekly

Shiela
After suffering from gun shot wound which ultimately led to his retirement, Artemis Beam is called back into the line of duty when the “Justice Killer” has the city of New York in a stranglehold. Taking justice into his own hands, this particular serial killer targets jury forepersons whom he blames for acquitting defendants that are “obviously” guilty. The investigation becomes even more complicated as the killer’s range of victims widen. Beam and his trio of mismatched detectives must find the ...more
Jenn
Dec 26, 2008 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read from John Lutz. I often expect his books to be part of each other but I think the only thing they have in common is major serial killers. (Although, I could be wrong as I never seem to read two of the "Night" series close to each other and could be forgetting the major players.)

I never would have guessed the serial killer in this one in a million years. They kept it quite well hidden with lost od clues leading to other characters. The little synopsis at the end saying what happ
Marianne Jay
Good - not great. I admit to sneaking a peek to see who did it....but when I finished I realized that there was not one iota of a hint in the whole book that this person was the perpetrator. It's like the author just pulled it out of his butt.

And then, there is a question at the end of another murder which this person may or may not have committed.

I like my mysteries tied up with a pretty bow and handed to me at the very end. If I miss "who done it"....then my bad. But, for heaven's sake please
Matthew Macmartin
Grizzled retired cop brought back into the fold for one last case, a serial killer who is on the loose killing those who have perverted or escaped the legal system. Nothing new or mind blowing here, but well written -if not a little cliche- characters with great pacing. Kept me interested and involved in the mystery until the very end.
Lindsey
May 23, 2009 Lindsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
I've been reading so much sci-fi and young adult fiction lately. To shake things up, I picked up a handful of thrillers yesterday. Once upon a time they were my preference.

So hey this is a good one. I kept going back and forth between who the killer was. In the end I was wrong, which I actually like. Nothing bothers me more in a book than a too-easy-to-solve mystery. Yanno?
Roman Gokhman
Jan 23, 2016 Roman Gokhman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun story and very realistic. 470 pages but feels like 370. The ID of the killer isn't that big of a deal though. It didn't make me care one way or the other. This is more about the hunt than the prey.
Sean Maguire
Lutz' 'night' series are formulaic to the point of repetition: retired nypd detective is rehired by nypd to track a serial killer (I'm sure that happens with great regularity in NY), but they are rippin' yarns.
Kay
Aug 04, 2010 Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Basically his books are all the same- retired policeman brought out of retirement to solve a serial killer crime in NYC. I don't know why he changes the main character and doesn't stick to the same one. They are always good however since I enjoy serial killer books!
Susan
Sep 15, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh the thrill of finding a new author! Especially one who already has written books I haven't read yet and who writes such a great story. Chill of Night had it all - intricate and sharp plot, sympathetic and excellent characters, and a snappy voice for the telling of the tale. I'm jazzed.
Marion Mockridge
Audio book: This is the type of detective novel I love: lots of interesting characters confronting personal challenges and a double twist at the end with a bit of happy ending romance. Scot Brick is an outstanding narrator.
Susan
Feb 13, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot even though there were a couple of times I had to just accept plot turns I couldn't believe.
Luann
Sep 14, 2013 Luann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction, crime
True to form, Lutz had me guessing about the identity of the killer, right up to the last pages. Didn't see it coming.

A great story teller.
Becky
Nov 03, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a little slow but the ending was fantastic. I did not figure out the killer at all, which is always somewhat of a thrill for me.
Craig Leimkuehler
Just sort of so so. Nothing terribly memorable. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Been there read that.
Carol
Jul 08, 2012 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story but that kind of justice never works out well. I'll stick to our flawed system and hope for the best. And I never saw the ending!!
Terri Keel
Terri Keel rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2010
Christine Erxleben
Christine Erxleben rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2012
Jay
Jay rated it really liked it
May 28, 2011
don bietz
don bietz rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Robert Hawkey
Robert Hawkey rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Deborah Perkins
Deborah Perkins rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2013
Marca
Sep 18, 2009 Marca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery with plenty of suspense. Held my interest. Characters not annoying.
Pauline Burke
Feb 03, 2016 Pauline Burke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time reading this author, will read more of his books. Hope they will be as good.
  • Bloodprint
  • Killing Justice
  • End of Days: Predictions and Prophecies About the End of the World
  • The Eye of Jade (A Mei Wang Mystery, #1)
  • Final Sins
  • Strip Search (Susan Pulaski #2)
  • Valentine
  • Pursuit
  • Slash and Burn (Joe Hunter, #3)
  • The Bone Box (Waterman and Stark, #0.5)
  • The Ronin's Mistress (Sano Ichiro, #15)
  • Night of the Jaguar (Jimmy Paz, #3)
  • Chop Suey (Darby Stansfield, #1)
  • Deadly Intent (Mindhunters, #4)
  • The Exile (Ryan Kealey, #4)
  • Lost Lake
  • Hush
  • Face of a Killer (Sydney Fitzpatrick #1)

John Lutz published his first short story in 1966 in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine and has been publishing regularly ever since. His work includes political suspense, private eye novels, urban suspense, humor, occult, crime caper, police procedural, espionage, historical, futuristic, amateur detective--v
More about John Lutz...

Night (6 books)
  • The Night Caller (Night #1)
  • The Night Watcher (Night #2)
  • The Night Spider (Night #3)
  • Darker Than Night (Frank Quinn, #1)
  • Fear the Night (Night, #5)