Start by marking “Freedom's Land” as Want to Read:
Freedom's Land

Freedom's Land

Her husband was killed in the Great War. His wife is dead. Why not journey to the other side of the world and start again from scratch? What does it matter if they don't know each other, they will in time, after all? Norah thinks it is the most stupid idea she has ever heard. But Andrew needs no persuading. His kids are without a mother, he lives in a Lancashire town with ...more
Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Freedom's Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freedom's Land

Harvey Tordoff
I have to admit this isn't my kind of book, so criticism is probably unfair. It's a simple, formulaic story. The bad guys are bad, the good guys are good, bad things happen to good guys, but bad guys soon get their comeuppance and bad things are soon overcome. Good guys have hearts of gold, bureaucrats don't have hearts, but eventually the good guys live happily ever after.

So why did I choose to read it? I was intrigued by the reference to Australia's Soldier Settlement programme, which I had ne
Sheu Quen
Apr 07, 2012 Sheu Quen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend this book for light reading. Times when you just want to relax or when you have no important obligations to rush for. It took me awhile to finish the book as I had other obligations to tend to. Which is why I recommend you reading it when you are free and easy.

I found the book fascinating as it had a different and rather new storyline to it. I knew more or less the background behind Australia's vast farmlands and bushfires so I wasn't entirely lost in translation. It was refres
Beejay
Aug 23, 2010 Beejay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I learned from this book is that the soldier settlement scheme, a scheme whereby the government of the day gave farming land to ex-servicement post-World War I, wasn't just confined to men who had served in the Australian forces but that many, many British ex-servicemen were granted land under this policy. The book really illustrates how "conned" they were as to the conditions which awaited them, but also how desperate those settlers from England were for a new life, a life where they could ...more
Anne Harvey
Nov 08, 2013 Anne Harvey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As this was an audiobook, it took me longer to finish as a result. The experience was worthwhile though because I gained so much more from the dramatisation, even crying on a couple of occasions. It is the story of a widow, Norah, who has a young daughter, making a marriage of convenience with Andrew, a widower with two sons. The new family are accepted on an Australian settlement scheme a few years after the First World War. Basically, it is the story of the early days of the small settlement, ...more
Cheryl Kershaw
Dec 29, 2015 Cheryl Kershaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great story , tells of the people making the best choices they can given the circumstances and making the best of their lives. Set in rural Western Australia telling the peoples history of the time...and how it happens in the homes instead of the history books.
Chloe
May 19, 2016 Chloe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

What an interesting story! I must admit, I had never heard of the Australia's Soldier Settlement programme and it intrigued me.

The story was good - I just wanted MORE ... a bit more depth, more detail, more history and a little less clichéd romance. It felt too much like a light read and not enough like an historical story that revealed the good, the bad and the ugly. However, in saying that I feel like I'm just being picky.
Nicole
Sep 01, 2015 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A little too 'light' for me; charmless and formulaic.
Reema
Jun 06, 2016 Reema rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Anna Jacob's Freedom's Land is a must read
Alison
Jan 08, 2015 Alison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a simple read, good beach book.
Den
Sep 09, 2012 Den rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story all about a woman who finds herself without a home when her husband dies and makes the decision to marry a stranger and move with him to start a new life in Australia for herself and her daughter. Luckily she falls for Andrew and despite Janie (the daughter) being difficult and the many trials Australia throws at them, they fall deeply in love with both each other and their land. I am hoping for a sequel to this.
Karen
Feb 05, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My husband's grandparents came to Western Australia as a group settler in the 1920s, so I just had to read this book to get some insight into what they went through. From what research I have done, the struggles and hardship they went through was portrayed realistically in this book. Great story, I love historical novels, and this one doesnt disappoint. I've read most of Anna Jacob's books, and every one is a good read.
Carlie Hamilton
Jul 25, 2011 Carlie Hamilton rated it liked it
After world war I some English families move to Australia on a gov't scheme for free land. This is a story about English settlers trying to make their lives in the harsh Aussie outback.

I didn't think this book was as well written as the other books I've read by Anna Jacobs. That being said, it was a very engaging plot, I loved hearing about the day to day lives of the families struggling in Australia.
Kim
Apr 04, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2013
I loved this book which followed some people settling to farm life in,Australia after the war. Families were promised free farm land by the government and chose to sail to a new life.

Andrew and Norah are hit by all sorts of problems and some families decide that the life just isn't for them.

I could picture this as a TV drama as I could imagine the camp life so vividly.
Annette Sibley
Aug 01, 2013 Annette Sibley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book gave a good account of people emigrating to Australia with the promise of a new life, obviously things did not go quite to plan and the "settlement camp" isn't ready!
Amanda
Nov 06, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely tale of English WW1 survivors making a new life in Australia, despite the challenges. For West Aussies who love our South West, these are the pioneers.
Sammi
Sep 27, 2012 Sammi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, it was easy to read with a light hearted plot.
Jeanette Hornby
A good story with Australian historical content.
Rachel Louise Langthrop
Rachel Louise Langthrop marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Lj
Lj rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
c m bolton
c m bolton rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2016
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Paula McLennan
Paula McLennan rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
N Hanif
N Hanif marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Linda McAlister
Linda McAlister rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Chris Stevenson
Chris Stevenson rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Iris O'Donnell
Iris O'Donnell rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2016
Marika
Marika marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
  • The Girl From World's End
  • Moonlight Plains
  • Confinement
  • Mountain Ash
  • Promises
  • Dark Country (Dungirri, #2)
  • The Road Home
  • A Mistletoe Kiss
  • The Boot Camp
  • The Road to Hope
  • Emily Hudson
Anna Jacobs has 57 novels published as of April 2012. She writes historical sagas and modern novels alternately, and in the past has written historical romances and fantasy novels (the latter as Shannah Jay).

She's addicted to story-telling and writes three novels a year.
More about Anna Jacobs...