Start by marking “Tender Mercies ” as Want to Read:
Tender Mercies

Tender Mercies

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  3,363 ratings  ·  327 reviews
LENGTH: Approx: 58,500 words (a short novel)

DESCRIPTION:

“Grace. That word that finally meant something again. Mercy. Favor. Good will.”

Fed up with play kink, Grace Warner moves to an island that embraces erotic slavery to be with a man she met online. Within hours of her arrival, everything is ripped from her, and she quickly learns play is preferable to the realities of a
Published May 6th 2011 by Burlesque Press

To ask other readers questions about Tender Mercies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tender Mercies

Beg by C.D. ReissWhat the Heart Wants by Kelli McCrackenDriven by K. BrombergGatsby's Smile by Morana BlueDirty Red by Tarryn Fisher
Kindle Lendables
84th out of 150 books — 34 voters
Daddy's Game by Normandie AllemanDaddy Morebucks by Normandie AllemanSorority Pledge Collection by Daizie DraperBared to You by Sylvia DayFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
No Fantasy, Just Kink
155th out of 157 books — 88 voters

More lists with this book...

Stacia (the 2010 club)
Adult review for taboo erotic content.

Moving this review over from my other account because I want to start merging some authors onto the same account instead of having them listed in separate places. There are a couple of mild spoilers ahead discussing character behavior, but there are no big plot reveals.

Original read/review early 2012. I knew what I was getting into when I started this book. I'd read and loved Thomas' book Comfort Food, so the subject matter was not a deterrent.

Believe it or
Aleatha Romig
OK, I've heard good things about this book, but recently it was available on Amazon for free.. so I bought it! And, once I started it, I couldn't stop. I read til 2 am, then during work breaks, on my lunch hour... I wanted to know what happened to Grace.

Kitty Thomas does it again... pulls us in, makes everyone of us willingly submissive to inconceivable consequences. At one point I wondered, "Why am I all right with this?" I'm not sure. I just know I was and I loved the ending! Great job, fun,
Amber Rose

This is a short story. I did feel it was Dark but not something that is too dark. Or at least to me it wasn't. I wanted to know more information in between things that I got. I wish that it was longer so I could enjoy it more and suck in as much as I could.

This starts off with Grace. She has been talking to Lucas from a secret island where it is legal to keep a slave 24/7 and do whatever you want with the slave. The only thing is that if, Grace chosses to leave and go to the island
I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)
So, who wants to live in a D/s relationship 24/7 raise your hand. Now keep your hand raised if you are willing to give up your life in modern society to live on an island full of rich, dominant men AND give up all your rights as a human being according to modern laws? Are you willing to do that for a man you have only chatted with on the phone, internet and webcam?

Well, that is exactly what Grace Warner thinks she wants. Now, I have to give it to her, it took her a year to make the decision to
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
May 15, 2011 ♆ BookAddict ✒ La Crimson Femme rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ♆ BookAddict by: Kitty Thomas
Shelves: bdsm, intense, slavery, rape, z-nlg, lcf
Want to be a submissive 24/7? How about being a slave, pampered on an island careered to men of wealth who own women as slaves? This isn't the first book I've read with this concept. This is probably the first one where it's so realistically done in a plausible contemporary setting.

Grace is a girl who enjoys being owned. She wanted the reality of slavery. Personally, I think Grace is an idiot. Her only friend, Lainey, tried her best to help Grace go in with her eyes wide up. What does Grace do?
Louise
This book is beyond the “safe, sane and consensual” aspect of BDSM be warned it’s dark, gritty, disturbing and disgusting.

"...So tell me, pet...who am I to you?"
The devil

This is my third book from this Author and I was quite expecting the raw brutally the master was giving to his slave what I didn't expect was there's a good Dom to come out..I was What the.. where did Asher Collins came from? Why is he so sweet, kind and gentle and caring arghhh.
You’ll gonna love Asher!!:) He’s a sweet and cari
Mrs.Kittie
Category: ?? BDSM Romance would be my guess.

So, a young woman with the intellectual capacity of a dull 9 year old goes to an island voluntarily where she actually gets to be property. There is little indication that she has really explored the 24/7 lifestyle or that she really understands D/s protocols or that she actually has a genuine interest in being a submissive (given how she treated a completely reasonable dominant she meets at a club in the US). Well predictably her kinky fantasy about h
Glass
Oh, my!!! Girls, guess what I'm reading next? My boyfriend is going to be so happy!;)

After reading it...

I love Kitty Thomas - that woman has some twisted mind - but this book was full of hard limits for me. I'm not the biggest fan of 24/7 D/s relationships but I still enjoy reading about it. Tender Mercies has one of the most beautiful covers I've ever seen and I have to admit that was the first thing that got my attention. Girl who willingly goes to the place where she'll be stripped of all her
Booklover, Indianapolis
Diana Leigh
Unfulfilled by the BDSM scene and play kink, Grace moves to the island of Eleu, a place where true erotic slavery is legal. Slaves on Eleu give up all their rights, and the Masters are free to do as they wish, bar killing their slaves. Grace had been communicating with Lucas, a Master on the island, via the Internet for a year when she finally decides to go. However, her dream that they'd live "kinkily ever after" was shattered once she arrived. Lucas was not a Master, but an evil monster. After ...more
Breann
Grace decided that the regular BDSM clubs and kink wasn't for her. She felt that it was just playacting and wanted to experience the "real thing". She decides to move to an island where master/slave relationships are legal. The slave is treated as property and the only right they have is to not be murdered by their master. What? No takers?

When she arrives, the man who is her master is not the person she had been chatting with online. Shocker, I know. He is evil. I mean E.V.I.L. She is eventually
lynn❤️lynn
A very lovely read. I would have loved a bit more in relation to the sex side of the story, but it loved the storyline of abuse, sorrow, and salvation. The love between Asher and Grace can clearly be felt. I so felt for Asher and Darcy at the start of the book. The author has put a lot of feeling into this book, which I picked up on and felt throughout. I could loose myself in this story and could clearly see the characters. I just felt the sex was a bit lacking and the end was abrupt yet approp ...more
nd  ♥ Master's lil-kitten ♥
Another great story from Kitty Thomas, is there really much more to say about it than that?! Of course there is!

This is a story about Grace Warner, a woman that should come with a big sign that says, "Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it!"

She wants a 24/7 Master/slave relationship, and she is willing to give up everything to have it. And when I say "everything" I do mean *everything*! She is willing to move to a private island full of Dominant men, who live by a strict set of rul
Sanet
He couldn’t look away from her, couldn’t close his eyes to her pain and the gravity of the life he’d just, in effect, taken. The life of the woman he loved. “Master?” she whispered.

He cradled her in his arms, his thumb stroking over her cheek. His look of regret told her everything she needed to know. “Yes, baby?” “Sing me to sleep?” It was the last time he ever sang.

Why would you start a book like this.... Why.... the pain in those words, the man being broken... why?????

The only answer I get is
Letitia
Rating: B ... Heat: Sizzling?

First off: you will know by the prologue if this is a book you want to read. Miz Thomas hits you with the darkness from page one and the hits never stop. I think I cried for most of the book. The first half was almost non-stop tears. It horrified me and scared me and kept me turning the page.

Grace has been a part of the BDSM lifestyle for years and has become disenchanted by it because it feels like playing pretend. She doesn't want safe words. She doesn't want safe
Monique
This is Kitty Thomas’ third novel and probably the most emotional. I cried, worried, felt anger and disgust, worried some more, felt despair then hopefulness and finally I was awestruck at this author’s ingenious story-telling ability.

This is a story which depicts scenes of abuse, slavery, and dubious consent. The prologue is a tear-jerker. If you make it past the disclaimer, sit back & buckle up. You’re about to take a plane ride to Eleu, also known as the Island of Kink.

Grace Warner is a
Sara
"Take the risk or stay where you are. Make a choice now Grace."

Those words haunt me. Grace was looking for something that she couldn't get in her every day life, something that a secluded island with special rules and lack of boundaries could give her. The choice she makes seals her fate.

"He'd broken her of the habit of seeing herself as a person in the first two weeks."

This was my second book my Kitty Thomas and I fell in love with it. So different from Comfort Food as this is a story and yo
Danija
After reading Guilty Pleasures, also by Kitty Thomas, I only had one thought: I need to read more of her books. After reading Tender Mercies, I'm thinking: I'm afraid of reading more of her books.

This book put me out of my comfort zone so much more than I expected. How much? You can easily tell by my rating. This was too much even for me.

I'm not exactly a fan of Master/slave relationships, nor the 24/7 arrangements. Definitely not a fan of TPE. However, so far I haven't found a book where that d
Katinki
Just... not my thing at all.

Recognizing the purpose of this kind of book, I won't go into the various plot holes, logical fallacies, etc.

But since psychology and torture/abuse/rape/etc victim behavior and whatnot *is* addressed in the book in a rather big way (and is as such, fair game for comment), I will say that it's ALL wrong. And that's kind of a big deal to me.

Also, I have to say that the male "protagonist's" (I put that in quotes for a reason) behavior is, frankly, deplorable, regardle
Becky Sharpie
I loved this book so much. It really moved me very deeply. If you're looking for some quick and dirty wank fodder (not that there's anything wrong with that!) then this isn't the book for you. But if you're looking for an exploration of the psychology of dominance and submission, you'll probably love this book as much as I did.

A few things that really resonated with me:

- Many have scoffed at the main character, Grace, for being an "idiot." And certainly, she made some staggeringly bad choices.
Michael Dunellen
Welcome to Eleu, where the women live in abject slavery and the men in constant fear.

Ostensibly the men have created a society where the women are held in complete captivity - where the only escape they are offered is death. But then you realize that the rules do not exist to free the women from their burdens but because the men are terrified that they will lose what little actual control they have.

Our four male leading characters...

Asher is the perfect example of a coward. When he becomes convi
Rin W. Vitale
MIND-FUCK!

I like it that even I can feel kitten's (Grace)submission once she become a slave. yeah, that good.
Larissa
Previously Published on my blog: Welcome to Larissa's Bookish Life

After the mind f*ck that Comfort Food was, I could not wait to check out what else Kitty Thomas had in store and when she requested the review of her newest novel, Tender Mercies, I jumped at the chance to read it.

I am glad to say that Kitty not only doesn’t disappoint with Tender Mercies, but dare I say it, that she delivers a n even better book than the first time around.

One of my favorite movies of all time is Secretary, which
Lady Raven RAVE!
www.romancenoveljunkies.com

Very interesting read as well as intense. Now and then, I dabble into a light BDSM read but this was hardcore. I have never read anything by this author but decided to see what this read was about.

Grace wanted to experience erotic slavery. She'd heard of a secret island called Eleu where men take women as slaves, once on the island you give up your rights and citizenship to follow their rules. For a year, Grace has been corresponding with Lucas online. Lucas was trying
Merve  Özcan

Gerçekten ilginç bir kitaptı.İçinde bol bol cinsellik, erotik anlar ve çoğunlukla sadist şeyler vardı. Bu hayat tarzını anlıyorum diye yalan söylemeyeceğim.
Anlatımı güzeldi ve kitap akıcıydı. Yalnız Grace'in yeni Efendisine geldiğinde güvenme aşamasının biraz hızlı olduğuna inanıyorum. Bdsm İçermesine rağmen güzel bir kurgusu vardı. Kedi takıntısı ise komiğime gitti.
Bu tür içinde okunmaya değer bir kitap olduğunu düşünüyorum.
Aniden ortaya çıkan James
Jill
Kitty Thomas's books are my new drugs of choice. I am in love with Asher, he is the dark hero in this book. There is no other way to describe this man. This book is very dark and the situation that grace gets herself into is nothing if not horrifying. Abused in every way, she is a broken slave when bought by Asher. Then he slowly gives her back herself. It is a beautiful thing to read how this " true master" cares for his slave, grace. This book is not lite, and at no time is it funny however it ...more
Rossy
I can't rate this book right now, i'll reflect on it for a bit first. I didn't dislike the book though, just sort of have mixed feelings about the heroine's decisions and the consequences to them.

This one should come with a big warning though, because it's different from her other books. There is a lot of physical/sexual abuse on screen, so be sure that you're able to handle it before reading it. Normally that doesn't get to me, but this time it just triggered some really sensitive points.

Review
Jacqueline
Decent enough book about a girl who wants a 24/7 bdsm slave life. Not really erotica or romantica but more about the man who buys her after she's been abused and then attempts to heal them both. The set up was fairly unrealistic but framed the story.
∞ julia ∞
First let me say that I would *really* love a prequel to this, I feel the urge to know exactly what happened, most importantly I need to know James better - Ms. Thomas, I am begging you!

Second of all - I am not easily mind-fucked, actually I think a lot of my reader friends are, knowing how emotional I am in every other aspect of my life, surprised how difficult it is for a writer to truly touch me - it's happened twice, once with Stephen King and once or twice with Johnny Stone and now with Kit
Romancekolik
  • Judgment (Judgment, #1)
  • Owning Wednesday
  • Obsession: Girl Abducted
  • Abduction
  • Learning to Drown
  • As She's Told
  • Slave World
  • Take Me, Break Me (Pierced Hearts, #1)
  • Maid for It
  • The Flesh Cartel #4: Consequences
  • Cardinal's Rule (Suncoast Society, #2)
  • Restraint (Mistress & Master of Restraint, #1)
  • Need (Finding Anna, #2)
  • Safeword Rainbow (Safeword #1)
  • Trust in Me (Dark Erotica, #1)
  • Collateral Damage (Deadly Captive, #2)

Note from the author: Thank you for reading and supporting my work. If you'd like to speak with me directly, please tweet me at @kitty_thomas, or find me on Facebook, or use my contact form at kittythomas.com. I'm really never at Goodreads, and so I'll see people trying to contact me with messages from 6 or 8 months ago. I really believe Goodreads is a place for Readers. It's your space, not mine.
More about Kitty Thomas...
Comfort Food Guilty Pleasures The Last Girl Mafia Captive The Auction

“You may get me to say the word, but know this, you will never truly own me. That right belongs to my real master. You may take his symbol off my hip, but there will always be a scar that reminds us both what was there. And you might take his collar off my throat, but you'll never erase his name from my soul.” 12 likes
“She thought she was wrong? He was the one who got a hard-on every time she looked up at him with those desperate, brown eyes. Everything in his brain screamed: Prey. Take. Use. He wasn't exactly proud of it, but there it was.” 6 likes