Start by marking “The Coast Watchers” as Want to Read:
The Coast Watchers

The Coast Watchers

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  24 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Tells the story of the operations of the Coast Watching Organization in the islands north and northeast of Australia during the crucial period when the Japanese were advancing southwards and threatening Australia and, therefore, the Allied control of the Pacific and Indian Oceans.
Published January 1st 1979 by Bantam Books (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The Coast Watchers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coast Watchers

itpdx
Dec 30, 2011 itpdx rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
My father loved history and was a World War II veteran. Many years ago, when I was getting ready for my first trip to Australia, I told him that the tunnel-vision history taught in the US had not included anything about what had happened in Australia during the war and I was surprised to find that Darwin had been bombed more than 50 times by the Japanese. He pulled this book off his shelf. I have finally gotten around to reading it. It is a fascinating account of a unique unit of the Australian ...more
Andrew
When reading this book one has to keep in mind what the bok is. It is a recount of the actions and movements of a particular aspect of Australia's military forces during the Second World War. It is not a narrative, or an adventure story. It does not have characters in the traditional sense. It has many lists of names and descriptions of the movement of forces around the North-East riegion. There are some amazing stories of bravery and commitment, and it gives deep insight into many peoples exper ...more
Alexandra Cornwell
I took this book (not sure which edition but it was a hardcover) on my travels to the Solomon Islands back in 1996 when I was a volunteer undertaking a Rotary project in Honiara. Travelling through islands in the Western Province after being treated to a tour of some of the major battlesites around Honiara was certainly brought to life by reading this book.
Owen
Jul 16, 2012 Owen rated it really liked it
A very good account of the incredible job done in various Pacific islands by those who either stayed behind when war came to the region, or who "parachuted" in in one way or another and gave valuable information to the Allies concerning Japanese troop movements. It also details the significant contribution of the indigenous peoples whose lands these were.
Steve
Jan 16, 2010 Steve rated it it was ok
disappointed. Should have been much more gripping tales of what these men did and dared to do.
Clark
Aug 01, 2012 Clark rated it it was ok
Shelves: war-stories
Very interesting topic. Very dry read.
Peter Langston
Peter Langston rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Glenna
Glenna rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Cliff
Cliff marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Jlarson
Jlarson marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Mike Cocke
Mike Cocke rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Betsy Hook
Betsy Hook marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Steve Miller
Steve Miller rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Eve Tinsley
Eve Tinsley rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2015
Judith
Judith added it
Feb 12, 2015
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Cam
Cam rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Grahame Collard
Grahame Collard rated it liked it
May 20, 2014
Donald R
Donald R rated it really liked it
May 23, 2015
Ronson
Ronson added it
Feb 19, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Benj Nuñez
Benj Nuñez rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2013
John Conley
John Conley rated it really liked it
May 15, 2013
Alexandra Cornwell
Alexandra Cornwell rated it liked it
May 11, 2013
John
John rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2013
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Eliot
Eliot marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2012