Start by marking “Dansen met de demon (krachten van het kwaad, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dansen met de demon (krachten van het kwaad, #1)

Dansen met de demon (Word & Void #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  17,449 ratings  ·  405 reviews
De strijd tussen de wereld en het kwaad duurt al millennia. Het is een onzichtbare oorlog die over de gehele wereld wordt gevoerd, waarbij de 'Ridders van het Woord' strijd leveren met de demonen van het kwaad.

Als Nest Freemark bij deze oorlog wordt betrokken, ontdekt ze dat zij deze kan beslissen. Als de troepen van beide kampen haar geboorteplaats Hopewell binnendringen
Published November 2007 by De Boekerij (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Dansen met de demon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dansen met de demon

Danae
Running with the Demon felt like a chore to get through, unfortunately. The only reason I forced myself to continue was because I didn't want to miss any background information for later books.

Don't get me wrong, the plot and characters were fantastic, but the book was just so slow. The last 20-25% picked up a great deal, but that's about 80% of the book where I felt bored. And that's too long.

Here's hoping the next one is better for me.
Jim
This book gets 2 stars only if you're expecting a YA read & not much else. Actually, it's kind of a neat idea, but the execution was horribly flawed. Reading it, I was able to skim & ignore much of the stupid & repetitive writing. Listening to it was pretty torturous, though.

The idea of the 'Word & Void', opposites, good & evil is obvious & overdone, but it looked as if Brooks had opened up some possibilities. Overall, there are some good messages. I like the idea that Th
Chris
Now that was just what I needed. After reading a pretentious spewing of literary "greatness", I needed something that I could actually enjoy. And enjoy it I did, more than I expected to.

I've been reading Brooks for years. When I was ten years old, I read his only book at the time, The Sword of Shannara. I remember liking it a lot and being really annoyed that he didn't have anymore books out. When Elfstones of Shannara came out a few years later, I was enthralled; it was even better.

I got side-t
Sara
What do a fourteen year old girl, a wanderer with a wicked limp, and a calculating demon have in common? The answer is three-fold.

Hopewell, Indiana is your typical small town where everyone knows everyone else, it's economy reliant on a single industry - in this case it's the now quiet steel mill as the strike grinds into it's third month. It is also the home of Nest Freemark, growing up under the watchful eyes of her grandparents, a sylvan, a magical dog, and the knowledge that she has a powerf
Barbara ★
This is the first book I've read by Terry Brooks and I loved it. I listened to the abridged version of the audiobook and it makes me really want to listen to the unabridged version for the remaining books in the series. The writing is spectacular and the scene-setting is truly amazing. You can feel and see everything that is described as if it is happening right in front of you. I was very impressed by everything about this story.

Nest Freemark is a 14 year old girl with magic. She patrols the p
Werner
Oct 04, 2008 Werner rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of supernatural fiction
Brooks is best known as a fantasy author, but I've classified this work as supernatural fiction because of his strictly this -world setting here. Of course, the boundaries of all of the speculative genres can be a bit fuzzy around the edges --and most readers will be more interested in whether or not the book is a good, rewarding read than in what pigeon-hole to classify it. :-) As to the former question, IMO, the answer is a decided "yes."

Although Brooks uses some Christian terminology here (Jo
Katy
Please note: This review originally posted 3/1/2008 on Amazon. Please do not base judgment of review upon my current format.

I had forgotten ... it had been so long, I had forgotten what it is like reading a book by Terry Brooks. I had forgotten that he creates worlds that hold such dark things; that he isn't afraid to kill characters, traumatize characters, forge them into weapons in the hottest fires of testing. I had forgotten what a ... almost tactile experience it could be reading a book by
Phoebe
I've read a lot of Terry Brooks' books, including all of the Shannara books, and unfortunately, I was a little disappointed in this book, Running with the Demon. Here, Mr. Brooks departs from his usual pure fantasy genre to tell a story that mixes present day life with fantasy elements. The story is about a girl with magical powers, a demon who has arrived in her town to plot a cataclysmic event and a Knight of the Word (i.e., a man who tracks demons) whose mission is to stop the demon. I didnt ...more
Allison
The Word and Void trilogy is the worst I've read from Brooks, and I've read most his work. I mainly pushed through just so I wouldn't miss any background necessary for the books that come after - and I kept hoping that something exciting / meaningful / magical would actually happen in this series. It was boring, there were no goals that I could determine (a defined quest might have helped), and little hope.

The setting is a big problem for me. We find ourselves in modern-day Washington State. The
Aram
Terry Brooks' Running with Demon is the prototypical urban fantasy novel. Published in 1997, it is one of the earliest novels to approach the genre and gain widespread readership.

Running with the Demon introduces Brooks' world of the Word and the Void, opposing forces of chaos and order that set the stage for a well-developed unique moral relativity that serves as the bedrock of a unique narrative.

The book features excellent characters, a unique and interesting approach to its world of magic, a
Mike (the Paladin)
Sorry about this book (and the two that follow it) I couldn't escape the feeling that they could have been so much better. A good idea with what I felt was poor execution.

I note that after the trilogy he started a series based on the failure of his protaginists in this series...ouch.
J
This is only the second book I've read by Terry Brooks (First being the Star Wars novelization he did. Review: Well, it was better than the movie.) I've tried Sword of Shannara a few times, and that didn't really work out well for me.

Running with the Demon is a solid read. It's about a teen girl in Hopewell, Illinois, a town described as being in the "Heart of Reagan Country" more than once. Nest, the absurdly-named girl in question, has powers and some degree of responsibility to the sprawling
JC Andrew
Terry Brooks writes a suspenseful and mysterious fantasy novel that has you sitting on the edge of your seat. I was glad to see that the book wasn't very thick because I couldn't put it down. I practically had to read it from cover to cover since I was absorbed by the writing on each page.

This story is centered on a young girl named Nest Freemark who has the ability to see forces in the dark. These dark, shadowy forms are called Feeders and they have the ability to change the minds of humans an
StoryTellerShannon
QUICK SYNOPSIS: Story opens with a prologue where we gather insights into the dark dreams that John Ross, a Knight of the Word, must always have; every evening; every time he sleeps. It then opens with Nest Freemark, 13 and talking with a faerie pixie creature in a small town, racing to rescue a child from the dark creatures. Nest is sort of a guardian for people against the Feeders, who feed on the fears and negative emotions of humans, and does her best to keep them all safe. But larger events ...more
Loredana La Puma
Con questo libro Terry Brooks si diede al fantasy contemporaneo... e fece bene! Dopo essere rimasta folgorata da I figli di Armageddon (atmosfera straordinaria), ho scoperto che la Trilogia del Demone (conosciuta anche come Trilogia del Verbo e del Vuoto) ne costituiva una specie di prequel, e così (non appena ne ho trovato in libreria un'esemplare che non fosse impolverato/strappato/stropicciato) ho acquistato questo primo capitolo.
Molti fan di Brooks sono di parere contrario, ma personalmente
Stephanie Lorée
An entertaining and captivating read, once you hit the middle section. I found the characters interesting with their quirks (Gran's smokes and booze, Jared's catatonic fits), but they were also overused at times (I really only need to be told Gran drinks vodka and orange juice for breakfast a maximum of twice).

Brooks is fantastic with narrative descriptions, making you feel as if you're walking in the footsteps of the characters. He can get a little wordy and delve into minutiae, which detracts
Rhapsody
A very entertaining contemporary fantasy, with horror elements. There are demonic creatures that populate the world, called feeders. They multiply in the presence of people's bad emotions. John Ross is a Knight of the Word; he hunts demons, who cause large and small disasters that stir people up and cause the feeder population to grow. His dreams take him to Hopewell, where he needs to stop an event that will destroy the future of civilization and throw the balance of people and feeders complete ...more
Geldonyetich
It was interesting to see Terry Brooks write a book that took place in America's heartland, focused on the inner struggles of a small community in economic recession. It seems a lot of writers are attracted to the romance of this.

However, this was not the kind of book that interested me all that much. It was focused entirely on the characters, and the conflict largely emerged from the character's flaws. The central character, Nest, mostly had a conflict of being young and naive, unable to come
Jon Borah

SUMMARY:
Twenty years ago, Terry Brooks turned fantasy fiction on its head with The Sword of Shannara, the first fantasy novel to make the mainstream bestseller lists, and the first in an unbroken string of thirteen bestselling books. Now, in Running with the Demon, Brooks does nothing less than revitalize fantasy fiction again, inventing the complex and powerful new mythos of the Word and the Void, good versus evil still, but played out in the theater-in-the-round of the "real world" of our pres

Brian
After re-reading Sword of Shannarra a while back, I felt pretty confident that I could just write off the rest of that series. At the same time, I wondered whether this book would be the same experience. When I first read this, back when I was 15 or 16 probably, it was possibly my favorite book. More and more over the last few months I have been itching to pick this book back up and read it to see just how much I have changed as a reader.
And for the first 100 pages or so, it was looking pretty g
Wendy Koedoot
Tess Freemark heeft de gave die ze van haar moeder heeft overgeërfd: ze kan de Vreters zien, demonen die leven van negatieve emoties. Negatieve emoties zijn er genoeg in het stadje Hopewell dat onder een sociaal arbeidsconflict gebukt gaat. Het stadje Hopewell is al wekenlang in de greep van een staking in de staalfabriek en gaat gebukt onder de spanningen die tussen de voor- en tegenstanders zijn ontstaan. De Vreters, die leven van sterk negatieve emoties, gedijen er dan ook goed - zo goed, dat ...more
Matt Garcia
This was my first Terry Brooks novel. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a fast paced read with the perfect amount of character development and action. I really liked the characters of Pick and Old Bob. Pick was the comedic relief of sorts and his dialogue was always entertaining. I will definitely be reading the other two books in the trilogy in the future. The best way I can describe this book is to say that it is enjoyable, whimsical and light hearted. Fun stuff.
Doug Bazdar
This was one of the best Terry Brooks books I've read ever and one of the best books I've read in a long time. Brooks keeps it simple with a small cast of characters but makes each and every character beloved by the middle of the book. Fast paced and intriguing this was entertainment at it's finest. I avoided these books when they were first published because I thought "The Void and the Word" had no connection to his beloved Shannara series. Once the "Genesis of Shannara" was published and I re ...more
Connie
This was a very difficult book to read because there didn't seem to be a point at first. It seemed like forever for any action to take place. While I do know you need to do some character building, I thought there was a little too much.

I also thought this bordered on the horror side and that really isn't my genre. It seemed to be post apocalyptic and that also isn't something I like very much.

I selected this book because it was the first in the Word And Void Series. I had read the Magic Kingdo
Emily Miner
Running With the Demon # of Pages: 434 Year: 1997
By: Terry Brooks

Running with the Demon is a good read for teens and adults who like supernatural activity and suspense. But be forewarned that this book has a ton of detail and can be quite boring until the second half.
The main problem that this book addresses is a demon that comes to the small, settle, and very hot town of Sinnissippi to take all the souls that live there, but mainly to take what is rightfully his, his daughter Nest Freemark.
Nes
Vickie
Terry Brooks writes an atmospheric tale. I could feel the heat of July as I listened to this story. Not necessarily a bad thing since I listened to it during a Colorado January.
There was the grim, grimy, creepy evil that surrounded the story. Evil in men's hearts, brought on by the visiting demon or just plain ol' evil that they acted on because it just felt good to do so.
It's told in several voices: John Ross is a Knight of the Word, arriving to fight the evil that is in the form of the demon
Clinton
I love fantasy books. This being an urban fantasy was a different premises for me. But being connected to the Shannara series I had to read the Word & Void series as well, this being book one. Though an urban fantasy lacks the lush world with beautiful landscapes, huge battles and far away lands, it still has the magic. I found it interesting how Brooks connected the magic in with the original Shannara series, and enjoyed the new characters as well. The reader learns a lot about the Word and ...more
Dave
I read the 7 core Shannara books back in the day. This was a refreshing work from a well read author. You can't really compare this to the other Brooks books, I picked it because I was interested in how a fantasy writer would work with a modern setting. He did outstanding.

A couple criticisms that come from writing in contemporary times, he writes that the Nest won the 10k Cross Country meet in High School in the Spring. XC is a fall sport and girls don't run the 10k in HS on the track or XC.

Al
Kandanomundo
"Running With The Demon" is an entertaining, but flawed, foray into modern fantasy. Terry Brooks spends a disproportionate number of words building a stage for mostly two-dimensional characters to play. The prose often felt like forced exposition, and tended to dwell too long on unimportant details while failing to build a connection between the reader and the characters, with the exception of the two main characters. Even still, the plot kept me guessing about where it would lead, and by the en ...more
Chris
A fabulous trilogy. Well worth reading. Brooks creates an insightful and believable fantasy world within our own world.
Is this the best place to start the series? 15 96 Oct 21, 2014 08:59AM
opinions.... 6 45 Jul 22, 2012 05:38PM
  • The Highwayman (Corona: Saga of the First King, #1)
  • Legends II
  • Shadowheart (Shadowmarch, #4)
  • The Treasured One (The Dreamers, #2)
  • Echo of Eternity
  • King Javan's Year (The Heirs of Saint Camber, #2 )
  • Dragons of a Fallen Sun (Dragonlance: The War of Souls, #1)
  • Murder In LaMut (Legends of the Riftwar, #2)
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth, #0.5 Prequel)
  • The One Tree (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #2)
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received ...more
More about Terry Brooks...

Word & Void (3 books)
  • A Knight of the Word (Word & Void, #2)
  • Angel Fire East (Word & Void, #3)
The Elfstones Of Shannara  (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #2) The Sword of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy #1) The Talismans Of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara #4) The Wishsong of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy #3) Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #1)

“Fear is a fire to temper courage and resolve. Use it so.” 8 likes
“All peoples think they are forever," he growled softly. "They do not believe they will ever not be. The Sinnissippi were that way. They did not think they would be eradicated. But that is what happened. Your people, Nest, believe this of themselves. They will survive forever, they think. Nothing can destroy them, can wipe them so completely from the earth and from history that all that will remain is their name and not even that will be known with certainty. They have such faith in their invulnerability.
Yet already their destruction begins. It comes upon them gradually, in little ways. Bit by bit their belief in themselves erodes. A growing cynicism pervades their lives. Small acts of kindness and charity are abandoned as pointless and somehow indicative of weakness. Little failures of behavior lead to bigger ones. It is not enough to ignore the discourtesies of others; discourtesies must be repaid in kind. Men are intolerant and judgmental . They are without grace. If one man proclaims that God has spoken to him, another quickly proclaims that his God is false. If the homeless cannot find shelter, then surely they are to blame for their condition. If the poor do not have jobs, then surely it is because they will not work. If sickness strikes down those whose lifestyle differs from our own, then surely they have brought it on themselves.
Look at your people, Nest Freemark. They abandon their old. They shun their sick. They cast off their children. They decry any who are different. They commit acts of unfaithfulness, betrayal, and depravity every day. They foster lies that undermine beliefs. Each small darkness breeds another. Each small incident of anger, bitterness, pettiness, and greed breeds others. A sense of futility consumes them. They feel helpless to effect even the smallest change. Their madness is of their own making, and yet they are powerless against it because they refuse to acknowledge its source. They are at war with themselves, but they do not begin to understand the nature of the battle being fought."

-pages 96-97”