Western Skies: Song of the West\Boundary Lines

Western Skies: Song of the West\Boundary Lines

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  538 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Song of the West

The towering mountains and windswept plains of Wyoming are truly beautiful. But Samantha Evans has absolutely no intention of staying—until she meets devastatingly handsome Jake Tanner. Suddenly the idea of leaving isn't quite so appealing. Samantha is torn between a lifelong dream and her feelings for this intriguing man when a blizzard strikes and she's s...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Silhouette (first published October 27th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Western Skies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Western Skies

Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads
As a rule, I have never liked novellas. I didn't even realize Western Skies was a novel of two novellas when I picked it up, so when I figured it out I didn't have high hopes for this read. Isn't it nice to be pleasantly surprised? Both Song of the West and Boundary Lines were really good stories. But although I rather liked Song of the West, I felt that it was under developed, which is my main objection to novellas. The stories and characters are just getting started and are then wrapped up far...more
Jessi
Why do I keep reading early romances from authors I love? It just depresses me to read about alpha males who "know" that they can "make women want them" even though the women are saying no, very plainly, but who are just awesome enough to hold themselves away until they can "convince" the shy little fillies that they "really, really" want to fall into bed with them. Blergh. Was this really the state of romance novels twenty years ago?
The first of these two books was the worst with the second at...more
Hey. I'm on vacation. Cut me some slack! This book is actually a compilation of two early stories Nora Roberts wrote in the early
80s. I read almost the entire first story on the plane. While I appreciate a mindless read here and there, the story glazed over characters and left me wishing for more of a plot line. It's obviously an early work and written in the 80s, reflecting the attitudes of the time. I don't think I'll read the second story. And next time I do pick a mindless read, I'll pick a...more
Amy A
This is two of Nora Roberts' very early works put together in one volume. They are each separate stories and not related to one another besides the fact that they both take place in the west on ranches / farms.

I will admit I bought the book because the cover looked like a nice winter read and I thought it might be nice to get into the holiday spirit a little. But don't be fooled these stories have nothing to do with winter.

The other part of me loves, loves, loves her novel Montana Sky and I wa...more
Damecatoe
So I thought to myself "hey, try a Nora Roberts book! If you like her, there are scads more to choose from!" I was at the local used bookstore. I chose this one at random. When I started reading it and one of the characters used a landline, I was like "how old is this book?" Copyright page said 2009 or something. Er, no. I was not paying attention at all. This is actually two books sold as one, each written in the 80s. Wow, have heroines changed.

I finished the first one. It was badonculous. She...more
Lin Stepp
This book contains two of Nora Roberts old 1980s classics first published by Silhouette books.
Song of the West takes the reader to a big Wyoming ranch with Samantha Evans - visiting to help her sister when complications occur with her pregnancy. As a city girl it's hard to adjust to ranch life ... and that's only complicated more by Jake Tanner - a nearby rancher, who seems to rub her the wrong way - even as he attracts her. ... The second novel Boundary Lines reminds you of a Romeo-Juliet plot...more
Hope
Utterly loved this 2 for 1 book! Both stories were wonderful and they were both new to me! An exquisite read full off the rich details and believable characters one had come to expect from Nora Roberts. No paranormal magics in these, just the stubbornness of mankind and the magic of true love. :-)

XXOO
~ Hope
Hope

XXOO
~ Hope
Chrissy Wissler
There were two reprint books in this book, both which were originally published in the 1980s. I found the stories to be enjoyable enough and the heroines were fairly spunky and independent, especially for the time they were written. I found the heroes a little harder to like, simply because of the very straight forward, I-get-what-I-want male mentality.

In "Boundary Lines," the hero Aaron is much more likable, simply because we had the chance to understand him on a deeper level. We were more con...more
Shawn
The West: This story was rather hard for me to get through. At times I felt that it was overly descriptive and predictable. The chemistry never seemed to line up and I found Jake's arrogance more unflattering than attractive at times. Not to mention that Samantha said one thing and did another. In the end I found myself saying, "And?....."

Boundary Lines: This story was much fuller and smoother for me than The West. While Jillian was still a bit wishy washy it was more understandable. She was ris...more
Gemma
Both good stories and a nice holiday read as it's not too gritty
Kristie (fabk)
Song of the West--- This was an incredibly cute and short read. The sisters were likeable and Jake Tanner was the perfect cowboy. A perfect Saturday morning read.
Boundary Lines--- This was a longer story than Song of the West, and I loved every minute of it. It reminded me a lot of Montana Sky. The characters were delightfull and the story was good, although it wrapped up a little too quickly in the end for my liking.

Overall a great read... Probably 3.5 stars!!
JANET
Feb 27, 2010 JANET marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Song of the West

Boundary Lines
A feud has been warring for years between two Montana families, and the feisty Jillian Baron and irresistible Aaron Murdock seem determined to carry it into another generation.

2 BOOKS IN ONE
Sherri
I liked Song of the West because the lead character wasn't completely pigheaded and the eventual intimate scene was brief and handled tastefully. I also enjoy western romances and learning about ranch life etc.

Therefore, I was expecting Boundary Lines to be similar. However, this leading lady was more pigheaded and made me want to shake her a few times. Also, this book had more details of their encounters and many more of them.

Lynn Cutting
two good stories but a little predictable.
Donna Pierce
I stopped in the middle and have no idea where the book went - who cares what happens to those characters? Not me! This doesn't even rate as bathtub reading. It might be okay if I am stuck in a bus stop with absolutely nothing else to read - after reading all the signs, candy wrappers, etc. Is it possible to give negative stars?
Diane Carey
Found this was one of her early books from the eighties & was released again. Not exactly the type of main characters I enjoy & fortunately her writing has improved over the years! However, it was all I needed for a trip to England & a couple of 9 hour plane flights!
Genesis L.
I love both the stories but I deffinately love the second one better. My favorite thing about the second one is how Jillian and Aaron fall in love and eventually learn to aceept it besides the disagreements of both their families.
Alex
Both of the stories in this book were great. Nora Roberts is probably one of my favorite authors, by far. She's really great about having actual story lines along with great romantic plots. The whole book was fantastic.
Paula
I too, bought this while on a trip and read it on the plane. They are two of her earlier works in one book; Song the West and Boundary Lines. An easy read. He stories have matured since these were written.
Tiffany
I bought this one when I bought Bed of Roses and I quickly devoured it as well. These are re-prints of two of her older stories, so they lack the punch she currently writes with. Still enjoyable, though.
Judith
It is a Nora Roberts book what more can I say. I love all her books and this set was no exception. Wonderful and warm. Western Skies is composed of 2 novellas. Both are soft, romantic reads.
Sara Burns
2 stories about women who are in a new place, not looking for love, completely focused on othet things. Love ends up finding them, no matter how hard they try to fight it.
Amos
same cover as the other edition. Great stories recently bought of MB? finis pm second story. I have read these stories before. some time ago. Still a good read.
Patricia Solla
Two good "cowboy" stories from author. Good storylines. Liked the main characters and their interactions. Especially like the descriptions of the landscapes.
Jeanne
This is a reissue of two of the author's early books, "Song of the West" and "Boundary Lines." Both were contemporary westerns and were good, quick reads.
Alicia
This stories actually remind of Eve and Roarke. An unyielding female who is strong and independent and a guy who aww, really loves her and tries to get her.
Cara
I loved the setting of these books. Particularly the first one. I couldn't put the books down and stayed up way too late to finish. Hence the 5 stars.
Greta
You could definitely tell these were some of her earlier works - the characters aren't as developed, and the plots are pretty basic.
  • Lone Star Winter: The Winter Soldier\Cattleman's Pride
  • Sooner or Later
  • Baby at His Convenience
  • Kiss Me Quick (Kiss Me, #1)
  • Blazing Bedtime Stories (Once Upon A Bite / My, What A Big...You Have! / Sexily Ever After) (Harlequin Blaze #447)
  • Garrett (McKettricks of Texas, #2)(McKettricks, #12)
  • Protecting the Pregnant Witness (The Precinct: S.W.A.T. Team, #3)
  • Miranda and the Warrior
  • A Convenient Wife (Montana Mavericks: The Historicals)
  • The Delta Ladies
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her...more
More about Nora Roberts...