Start by marking “New Orleans Stories: Great Writers on the City” as Want to Read:
New Orleans Stories: Great Writers on the City

New Orleans Stories: Great Writers on the City

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Voodoo. Vampires. Jazz. There's no city quite like New Orleans, a city that whispers stories and where writers come to eavesdrop. New Orleans Stories collects the very best writing on the Big Easy by a stellar gallery of writers for whom the city has played host and muse -- from Walt Whitman and William Faulkner to Anne Rice, Truman Capote, Walker Percy, Tennessee Williams ...more
Published June 10th 2004 by Chronicle Books (first published March 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about New Orleans Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Orleans Stories

Greta
Nice primer for our upcoming visit to New Orleans, renewed my interest in Truman Capote and stimulated my interest in Ellen Gilchrist. There are many different ways these writers express their love of the Crescent City, Hope to visit the haunts of Faulkner & Tennessee Williams.
Ronn
This book is not so much a collection of stories as it is an introduction to books about New Orleans. It's not that this is a bad thing, but if you are expecting a book of short stories about N.O., this is not it. These are all chapters from books by a wide variety of writers for whom N.O. has held special resonance, from Mark Twain to Truman Capote to Ann Rice. I have to say that as an introduction to New Orleans literature, it provides an excellent overview.

What has struck me most, considering
Ashley
I really enjoyed this collection, for the most part, but as someone who edited a few anthologies during my time as an editor at Penguin, I had a few quibbles. Overall, I was happy with the range represented here--particularly happy to see an excerpt from Louis Armstrong's fantastic autobiography here, as well as Ellen Gilchrist, who is a revelation. I also loved the historical documents included as well.

On the other hand, there were some pretty embarrassing copyediting errors that I guarantee we
Maryann
This collection of 22 stories are either about New Orleans or take place there. Some are short stories, some are excerpts of novels and one is a list of superstitions and home remedies for everything from colic to tuberculosis. I loved Mark Twain's story about mule racing. Overall, it was a very diverse group of stories and perspectives of the Crescent City.

Food: gumbo, of course. Rich, full of yummy bites.
Casey
I am thoroughly enjoying this book so far! I too was expecting a collection of short stories about the city rather than excerpts of other books and stories in which the city is a back-drop, or a setting, or even a character. Nonetheless, this book has me researching authors whose works I haven't fully explored, and falling in love all over again with the ones I have. I am enjoying reading about familiar locations and when a familiar author is doing the writing, it's almost like running in to an ...more
Molly
Terrific survey of NOLA tales & voices from 1699 to the present era. Esp loved a vignette by Mark Twain and Truman Capote's story "Dazzle". After reading excerpt from "Confederacy of Dunces" in it, I now have to read the whole thing. Captures a lot of the different flavors of the Crescent City.
Jen
This book was given to me by a dear friend to read upon recovering from knee surgery. I only had the attention span for short stories and I remember this one very fondly. I had a serious crush on the city of New Orleans....
Michelle Peet
Used this in my English classes when we did a focus on New Orleans during the fall semester. Great variety of genres in this anthology.
Yvonne
some poor choices here but also some good ones. definitely not a good overview of New Orleans' writers but a decent enough quick read.
Lori
loved the louis armstrong excerpt...i def. want to go read more of that!
Sandy
Read this when we were visiting NOLA. Great intro to a great city.
Todd Taras
Todd Taras marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Zoomball
Zoomball marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Chelsea Bowers
Chelsea Bowers marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Jaackie
Jaackie is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Cell: Inside the 9/11 Plot & Why the FBI & CIA Failed to Stop It Judi Dench: With a Crack in Her Voice San Francisco Stories: Tales of the City Inside Islam: The Faith, the People and the Conflicts of the World's Fastest Growing Religion White Rabbit: A Psychedelic Reader