Start by marking “New Orleans Stories: Great Writers on the City” as Want to Read:
New Orleans Stories: Great Writers on the City

New Orleans Stories: Great Writers on the City

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Voodoo. Vampires. Jazz. There's no city quite like New Orleans, a city that whispers stories and where writers come to eavesdrop. New Orleans Stories collects the very best writing on the Big Easy by a stellar gallery of writers for whom the city has played host and muse -- from Walt Whitman and William Faulkner to Anne Rice, Truman Capote, Walker Percy, Tennessee Williams ...more
Published June 10th 2004 by Chronicle Books (first published March 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about New Orleans Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Orleans Stories

Greta
Mar 20, 2011 Greta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice primer for our upcoming visit to New Orleans, renewed my interest in Truman Capote and stimulated my interest in Ellen Gilchrist. There are many different ways these writers express their love of the Crescent City, Hope to visit the haunts of Faulkner & Tennessee Williams.
Ronn
Sep 20, 2008 Ronn rated it really liked it
This book is not so much a collection of stories as it is an introduction to books about New Orleans. It's not that this is a bad thing, but if you are expecting a book of short stories about N.O., this is not it. These are all chapters from books by a wide variety of writers for whom N.O. has held special resonance, from Mark Twain to Truman Capote to Ann Rice. I have to say that as an introduction to New Orleans literature, it provides an excellent overview.

What has struck me most, considering
Ashley
Apr 15, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: louisiana
I really enjoyed this collection, for the most part, but as someone who edited a few anthologies during my time as an editor at Penguin, I had a few quibbles. Overall, I was happy with the range represented here--particularly happy to see an excerpt from Louis Armstrong's fantastic autobiography here, as well as Ellen Gilchrist, who is a revelation. I also loved the historical documents included as well.

On the other hand, there were some pretty embarrassing copyediting errors that I guarantee we
Maryann
Aug 13, 2014 Maryann rated it liked it
This collection of 22 stories are either about New Orleans or take place there. Some are short stories, some are excerpts of novels and one is a list of superstitions and home remedies for everything from colic to tuberculosis. I loved Mark Twain's story about mule racing. Overall, it was a very diverse group of stories and perspectives of the Crescent City.

Food: gumbo, of course. Rich, full of yummy bites.
Mr.
Mar 15, 2016 Mr. rated it liked it
Like any collection there are high points and low points. Of particular note are the Louis Armstrong autobiography, the O'Toole, and the Whitman piece. I could have lived without the Exploration of Louisiana and Mason City. Overall this is a collection that is a fun literary trip through New Orleans history, but I don't think you get the full experience without a deep love for, and a pretty good knowledge of, the city. If I had one complaint it was the prevalence of ugly racial currents in a num ...more
Casey
Dec 25, 2013 Casey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am thoroughly enjoying this book so far! I too was expecting a collection of short stories about the city rather than excerpts of other books and stories in which the city is a back-drop, or a setting, or even a character. Nonetheless, this book has me researching authors whose works I haven't fully explored, and falling in love all over again with the ones I have. I am enjoying reading about familiar locations and when a familiar author is doing the writing, it's almost like running in to an ...more
Courtney
Only about 1/4 of these are short stories; the rest are excerpts. I was hoping for more short stories. Need to find a lot of the books/plays the excerpts were taken from.
Molly
Aug 14, 2012 Molly rated it it was amazing
Terrific survey of NOLA tales & voices from 1699 to the present era. Esp loved a vignette by Mark Twain and Truman Capote's story "Dazzle". After reading excerpt from "Confederacy of Dunces" in it, I now have to read the whole thing. Captures a lot of the different flavors of the Crescent City.
Jen
Aug 01, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me by a dear friend to read upon recovering from knee surgery. I only had the attention span for short stories and I remember this one very fondly. I had a serious crush on the city of New Orleans....
Michelle Peet
Feb 28, 2012 Michelle Peet rated it liked it
Used this in my English classes when we did a focus on New Orleans during the fall semester. Great variety of genres in this anthology.
Yvonne
Jan 09, 2011 Yvonne rated it liked it
some poor choices here but also some good ones. definitely not a good overview of New Orleans' writers but a decent enough quick read.
Lori
Sep 21, 2007 Lori rated it liked it
loved the louis armstrong excerpt...i def. want to go read more of that!
Patricia
Feb 14, 2016 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Wonderful stories, about this city that has inspired so many writers!
Sandy
Jan 08, 2011 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this when we were visiting NOLA. Great intro to a great city.
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Yasmeen
Yasmeen is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2016
Dorothy
Dorothy marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Romari
Romari rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Eleanor
Eleanor rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Jessi Eaton
Jessi Eaton rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Jared Orlando
Jared Orlando rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Victoria Casolari
Victoria Casolari rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Danielle Branstetter
Danielle Branstetter marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015