Start by marking “Rescue 471: A Paramedic's Stories” as Want to Read:
Rescue 471: A Paramedic's Stories

Rescue 471: A Paramedic's Stories

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  16 reviews
TRUE LIFE-AND-DEATH DRAMA

In taut, thrilling prose, Peter Canning has written a book that captures the rarely seen real world of emergency medicine. A seasoned paramedic who fights under enormous pressure to save lives, Canning trains new paramedics for the rigors of a nonstop, action-packed battle. From a four-month-old baby who has stopped breathing to a sixty-seven-year-
Published March 23rd 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published April 4th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Rescue 471, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rescue 471

Chris
I always enjoy reading EMS-type stories, and this time was no different. I have read both of Peter Canning's books and I found them both an enjoyable read. I feel like his perspective is akin to my own, as he left a career in public policy to become a paramedic, while I also work in public policy and moonlight as an EMT. Essentially a collection of essays compiled into a book, it's not really a narrative so much as a work intended to convey the realities of what faces the modern EMS system. Occa ...more
Karen
Having worked in medical settings during my career as a cardiovascular tech and working with first responders, nurses and doctors on scene and in the hospital, the actions and responses are spot on. I particularly like Mr. Canning's description and discussion of burnout and how he returns to find that he is doing what he's meant to do and how much he loves his job. Patient care and putting the safety of the patient first is the one thing that keeps people in these jobs, definitely not the pay an ...more
Beth Cato
I purchased this for the purpose of researching paramedics for my forthcoming novel. The reviews on Amazon were quite good, and I can see why - this is a fast read, filled with information and action. The author writes of his experiences as a paramedic in Hartford, Connecticutt. It's not glorifying, either. He gets all matter of fluid spewed on him, he's cussed out, and goes through a period of severe burn-out. Most EMTs are young, in part because they burn-out within a few years. There is medic ...more
Rachel
This book was FANTASTIC. It made me laugh and it made me want to cry. Unbelievably accurate account of what it's like to work in EMS.
Cabracrazy18
I like this book. It's an easy read and has a fast pace, but really, it's depressing. Half the book is expressing the authors displeasure with the system and how badly they are treated by the powers that be. Sure, he comes around full circle and explains how much he loves his job, but it still brings you down. The flaw here is it's too realistic, talking about burn-out and children dying. Again, I DO like this book, but don't read it expecting a pick-me-up.
Justin
A sequel to Peter's Paramedic book. This one was another fantastic book, covered alot of the use and abuse of the Hartford EMS system. Showed alot of insight on what they do in the ambulances and all of the calls they run. Was very interesting and HILARIOUS at times! I recommend you get this book, also Peter keeps an updated blog if you're interested
www.medicscribe.blogspot.com
Abby
Wow! Great follow up to his first book. Has story after story of his calls, those he works with, and the fight for EMS funding and staffing. However, the best part is his description of how he veers from burning out by rediscovering his love of the job and his passion for helping people. Highly recommended.
 Sara
Dec 30, 2011 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: first responders
Shelves: medicine, true-story
Loved the stories of life as a paramedic. As a volunteer EMT, I found them to be very accurate. he also spent a lot of time on the emotional issues of guilt and burnout that so many (all?) of us face dealing with this kind of work day in day out for years. Some gore, but not as bad as an EMT textbook!
Brian
This is the sequel to the other book by Peter Canning, "Paramedic". I found this book to be better than his original. Again, an excellent book to read for the budding EMT or Paramedic.
Tena
Great book!! Peter Canning infuses a sense of humor into his books while keeping it real. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll grit your teeth with anger- but above all you'll enjoy the read!!
Cathal
This is what it's like to work on an ambulance. We're EMTs and medics, not ambulance drivers. This book is perfect.
Mike Cyra
Great read for insights into the world of Emergency Medical Services.Experienced paramedic and writer.
Jeff
Great story of a person that finds what he loves by just a sudden chance glance out the window.
Jean
A follow-up to "Paramedic: On the Front Lines of Medicine" by Peter Canning.
Gina
So interesting! Made me want to be a paramedic.
Jennifer Dumont
Great book by a great man and mentor
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Jennifer Bolster
Jennifer Bolster is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2015
Mara Zeman
Mara Zeman marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Kim Freeburn
Kim Freeburn marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Alex Molino
Alex Molino is currently reading it
Feb 27, 2015
  • En Route: A Paramedic's Stories of Life, Death, and Everything in Between
  • First, Do No Harm: The Dramatic Story of Real Doctors and Patients Making Impossible Choices at a Big-City Hospital
  • Emergency!: True Stories From The Nation's ERs
  • Something for the Pain: Compassion and Burnout in the ER
  • Ambulance Girl: How I Saved Myself By Becoming an EMT
  • More Blood, More Sweat and Another Cup of Tea
  • The Making of a Nurse
  • Trauma Junkie: Memoirs of an Emergency Flight Nurse
  • Jumping Fire: A Smokejumper's Memoir of Fighting Wildfire
  • Emergency Laughter
  • The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification
  • Angels in the ER: Inspiring True Stories from an Emergency Room Doctor
  • Get Positively Beautiful: The Ultimate Guide to Looking and Feeling Gorgeous
  • Just Here Trying to Save a Few Lives: Tales of Life and Death from the ER
  • Report from Engine Co. 82
  • The Funniest Cop Stories Ever
  • Brother Cadfael's Herb Garden: An Illustrated Companion to Medieval Plants and Their Uses
  • Blood On the Table: The Greatest Cases of New York City's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
Paramedic: On the Front Lines of Medicine Mortal Men: Paramedics on the Streets of Hartford American Dreamers: The Wallaces and The Reader's Digest: An Insider's Story Lift and See Colors Baby, Look! 1, 2, 3