Start by marking “Storytelling for User Experience” as Want to Read:
Storytelling for User Experience

Storytelling for User Experience

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  292 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
We all tell stories. It's one of the most natural ways to share information, as old as the human race. This book is not about a new technique, but how to use something we already know in a new way. Stories help us gather and communicate user research, put a human face on analytic data, communicate design ideas, encourage collaboration and innovation, and create a sense of ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Rosenfeld Media (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Storytelling for User Experience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storytelling for User Experience

Steven Tomcavage
Apr 07, 2011 Steven Tomcavage rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book for a UI book club. I got to page 75 and hadn't learned anything beyond how a story is structured and why people tell stories. These are things that I already learned as an undergraduate English major. I was wondering how stories could apply to my current job as web applications developer, but I got too frustrated with the lack of information that I never made it far enough in the book to find out. Hopefully the author gets around to the topic of the book before it en ...more
H.d.
Sep 27, 2013 H.d. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design, ux
Ótima reflexão sobre como aplicar a prática da narrativa no dia-a-dia de projetos de UX.

Entendo que para vários públicos e contextos é necessária uma defesa das razões para utilizar narrativas no trabalho, acredito que no contexto brasileiro e em empresas/projetos que tenham equipes multidisciplinares, esse entendimento já seja natural. Sendo assim dá pra pular quase metade do livro :)

E é aí que fica interessante. Com exemplos da aplicação feita pelos autores em cada uma das fases do design ce
Tony Bergstrom
Feb 11, 2015 Tony Bergstrom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux-research, fluxible
It had promise at first, but I'm sure there are better books out there to cover the subject. The problem is that the book gets too hung-up on the many details and variations of story structure to the detriment of UX and design.

The first chapters provide some reasonable motivation to use stories, nothing too surprising. The book then delves into the many details of story structure, and becomes repetitive and wordy. I don't quit books easily, but in the later chapters I found that reading the firs
Stacia
May 08, 2011 Stacia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An alternate title for this book could be: "How to Conduct and Share Usability tests". The methods presented here are best practices for any type of user research and compiling and sharing those findings.

It was a great refresher for this Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing now faced with a technology-driven job of creating experiences within software. It could have been half as long, but I feel that way about most occupational "how to" books.

Maciek Lipiec
Apr 17, 2014 Maciek Lipiec rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Better read ANY good novel...
Davy
Jan 28, 2015 Davy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
(3.5 stars) This would be an easy 4 stars if I would have read this earlier in my career, maybe even a year an a half ago. One of the major things I've learned from this book was to really utilize the power of storytelling as a communication mechanism. I always watch our presentations and marvel at the power of the story and how it can really put you in the shoes of that person, and that's what this book teaches you how to do.

For a UX Research book club we held at Goodreads yesterday, we had th
Sashko Valyus
Mar 23, 2015 Sashko Valyus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux-design
Хороша книга, але структура сильно кульгає. Те що ти очікуєш прочитати зявляється десь в другій половині книги. З одного боку і води небагато, і книга виконує свою задачу, а з другого боку в ній описується досить широкий спектр використання історій та методів створення, тому для тих хто хоче швидко підтягнути свої знання по UX вона не підійде.
Книга буде корисна тим хто широкому коли професіоналів, від тренерів до інженерів.
Susan Huotari
I bought this book because of the FAQ section at the beginning, which offered to answer the why and how of UX storytelling. As a UX practitioner I wanted to be able to open this book and find some help for my task at hand. Namely, how to do it. I am more interested in how to sketch storyboards for prototyping and prototype user validation, than what I discovered in this book.
Brian Duchek
Feb 11, 2014 Brian Duchek rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Good writing, solid recommendations and good direction. Not a topic that's solidly relevant to many lean organizations and practitioners. If you're interested as a writer, there's probably other, better primers. Took me forever to finally complete. Ended with a great story; shame the rest of the tome wasn't as engaging.
Connie
Jul 09, 2010 Connie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux-book-club
Easy to read, nice layout, good stories. First half justifies the use of storytelling, so I found the second half more useful in constructing stories to use in design.
Andreas
Finally a book that mentions the standard process for User Centred Design: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosenfel...
Aditya
Oct 31, 2010 Aditya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux
Some interesting anecdotes but apart from that quite a standard book on stories as research and communication medium.
Morgane
Oct 02, 2014 Morgane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
This book is useful for anyone who ever needs to communicate with anyone else.

So, everyone.
Chris Herdt
Nov 12, 2010 Chris Herdt marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I won this book as a door prize at a World Usability Day event. I may or may not read it.
Cara
Oct 01, 2010 Cara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was hoping for more from this book
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Jane Vita
Jane Vita rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Yixiao Jiang
Yixiao Jiang rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Valeria Vozzheva
Valeria Vozzheva marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Mr J.S Newland
Mr J.S Newland marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Luis
Luis marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Leah Henry
Leah Henry is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2016
Arve Tarjei Olsen
Arve Tarjei Olsen marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Graeme
Graeme marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Kenny Brijs
Kenny Brijs marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Ishfaq Wani
Ishfaq Wani rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2016
  • Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide
  • Card Sorting
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • Remote Research: Real Users, Real Time, Real Research
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Design Is the Problem
  • Undercover User Experience: Learn How to Do Great UX Work with Tiny Budgets, No Time, and Limited Support
  • The Mobile Frontier: A Guide for Designing Mobile Experiences
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making
  • Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • Interviewing Users: How to Uncover Compelling Insights
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
  • Designing with the Mind in Mind: Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Rules
  • Designing Web Navigation

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Whitney Quesenbery is a user researcher, user experience practitioner, and usability expert with a passion for clear communication. She has been in the field since 1989, helping companies from The Open University to Sage Software to the National Cancer Institute develop usable websites and applications.

She is the director of the UPA Usability in Civic Life project and has been appointed to the US
More about Whitney Quesenbery...

“The tech-spec story One structure for stories that prescribe is a technical specification story, which is used when preparing to turn over a user experience design for a detailed specification. A tech-spec story is not a complete technical specification, but it lays the groundwork for a design, collecting information from many sources, just as personas collect information about people into a” 0 likes
“There is one more reason to use stories in UX, it's simply because the power of stories allows us to see the world through a new lens. One of the hardest things to do is to understand a task, context, or experience as someone else does. But once you see a design problem from the new perspective, we are halfway home to a solution.” 0 likes