Start by marking “La rivincita: Gathering blue (The Giver Quartet, #2)” as Want to Read:
La rivincita: Gathering blue (The Giver Quartet, #2)

La rivincita: Gathering blue (The Giver Quartet #2)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  116,674 Ratings  ·  8,672 Reviews
Ambientato in una comunità del prossimo futuro al pari di The Giver, in un villaggio dove ognuno pensa solo a se stesso e le persone con malattie o problemi fisici sono considerate inutili per la comunità e vengono lasciate morire, una ragazzina zoppa lotterà per conquistarsi il diritto di vivere.
Ma, riuscendo a ricavarsi un posto all’interno di quella società, si renderà
Hardcover, Y, 272 pages
Published February 23rd 2011 by Giunti (first published September 2000)

To ask other readers questions about La rivincita, please sign up.

Stephanie Arnold Yes this is a sequel to "The Giver" there are four in the series:
1. The Giver
2. Gathering Blue
3. Messenger
4. Son

If you read Messenger you will have…more
Yes this is a sequel to "The Giver" there are four in the series:
1. The Giver
2. Gathering Blue
3. Messenger
4. Son

If you read Messenger you will have the answer to the ending of "The Giver" - did they really arrive or did they die dreaming? You will meet some old friends in #3 & 4 though they will be older. (less)
Bethany Yes you should, and you need to read Son last. You don't have to, but everything will make more sense.

Dani
Feb 04, 2008 Dani rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
That's not a plot, that's a twist!

I read this book as a companion to "The Giver," and I was pretty disappointed. The underlying sense of unease and the tense pacing that makes the Giver so fantastic just isn't present in "Gathering Blue."

Part of this, is that because it is a companion book, I read this book differently than I read the Giver. Instead of reading the book with white knuckles and wide eyes, thinking, "What the heck is wrong with these people???" I read it thinking, "Yeah, yeah, cre
Aaron
Jul 01, 2008 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to know what the book is about, read the synopsis. I stopped doing book reports when I was in grade school. If you want to know what I thought of the book, read on

Wow, what a well written little story. Little in the sense it isn't long but there is a wonderful sense of economy with her writing, no, or very little, extraneous material. No outside characters that clog up the narrative.

I did see one of the plot twist coming and wondered why the author took her sweet time about revealing
mark monday
Alright kids, settle down! It's time for our lesson of the day. Today we will be focusing on Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry, which is her follow-up to The Giver, a popular modern classic that I know many of you loved.

But first let's clear the room of any adults disguised as kids. You know who you are! You read books written for children and young adults that are intended to be modern day parables, stripped of details and complicated, "realistic" characters, stories that are intended to be less abo
Jinky
Sep 16, 2010 Jinky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Caroline
Reading this book reminded me a lot of M. Night Shyamalan's The Village (which a lot of people hated but is my favorite movie of his that I've seen!)--a village that seems just too good to be true, with a suspicious group of leaders and a question as to whether there really are monsters in the woods that are dangerous to the inhabitants.

I found it best to go into this without expectations, since I loved The Giver and knew this was supposed to be a companion novel to it, I didn't want to let my l
Julie
Oct 05, 2009 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Boring and predictable and trite and not at all what I was expecting. I thought it was a continuation of The Giver but it isn't. I thought it would be in the same world as The Giver but I can't see any similarities. I thought it would be science fiction but there is nothing along the lines of The Giver in that department.

This might be a great read for a young adult who hasn't read the giver or doesn't know it's part of that "series" but I didn't enjoy it at all and couldn't finish it. For those
Keith Akers
Dec 02, 2012 Keith Akers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the age of 63, I've read "The Giver" and have now read "Gathering Blue." I continue to be impressed. I like authors who take simple elements and make a complex story out of them. There's no rich historical tapestry nor complicated interplay of personalities. This is a story that adults can appreciate, and I wonder what it would have been like to read this story when I was 12 years old. (Of course, when I was 12 years old, this story hadn't been written).

Once again, it is set in a society whic
Spider the Doof Warrior
This started out okay, but I lost interest as it went on.

I felt quite sorry for Kira and the way she was treated in this book, the people of this village were seriously harsh, and really didn’t give anybody a chance if they had any kind of disability or impairment!

The storyline was about Kira being at risk of being thrown out of the village where she lived after her mother died, and her life thereafter. There were a lot of plot-points that were entirely too obvious and the slow pace in the secon
Maciek
Gathering Blue is an unlikely sequel to The Giver, Lois Lowry's famous dystopia. It's unlikely because it has literally nothing to do with its predecessor, and I'm not sure why it was even written.

Like The Giver, Gathering Blue is also a dystopian novel andalthough you might find it difficult to believe the dystopian world in the novel is even less developed than the one in The Giver. Basically, the story is set in a village at some unspecific point in time, where people who cannot work and cont
Kaora
Nov 19, 2014 Kaora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read, that is a little confusing as it didn't seem to relate to the first book in the series.

Kira has just lost her mother and the only thing standing between her and the cruel women of the village. She is crippled, and in their eyes she is just another mouth to feed. One that contributes nothing. But she does have one skill, one that may save her life.

This world is very different from the one I entered with the first book in the series. People are dirty. They fight for food, keep their
Gathering Blue is the second installment in author Lois Lowry's The Giver Quartet. I was pretty confused going into this book as I just assumed the story would be picking back up at the point where The Giver ended. But Gathering Blue is a different story with different characters. Dystopian? Yes. But it features a much calmer world than what I've become accustomed in the dystopian genre. It's not bad at all, just different. This story taught me that dreams of darkened alternate futures don't alw ...more
Alondra
Feb 13, 2016 Alondra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
4 Stars

Well, I must say this was pretty good.

We get to experience another enclave in this mysterious world, created in the first book of the series; The Giver. Another settlement of higher council stiffs, lording over those less fortunate. When special gifts are displayed, those gifted are chosen (stolen) to serve; and everything and everyone around them is expendable.

A few twists in the story, but the ending was not satisfactory. Why choose that route?? Why not peace?? Why?? I am not saying th
H
Feb 13, 2014 H rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Aredhel
"Gathering Blue" is a refreshing dystopian novel with an engrossing plot and well-rounded characters. Presenting a new kind of a dystopian society, it introduces the reader to a new kind of a society: it's not as progressive and sophisticated as those ones described in many dystopian books. In this book Lois Lowry strayed off the beaten path and it made the book even more interesting to read.

It was artistically written - really, not only dealt the narration with artistic issues throughout the bo
Nathaniel Ahn
Dec 13, 2015 Nathaniel Ahn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the second in a four part series by Lois Lowry, its predecessor being the widely known and acclaimed novel The Giver. A fantastic read, I thoroughly enjoyed Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in a book with a unique take on science fiction writing. While unusual, the abnormal setting did not take away from the story – in fact, I think it made the story even better. In most stories that occur in futuristic worlds, there is a pretty meagre list ...more
Alissa Patrick
Jul 05, 2016 Alissa Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook for this.

This is the second book in the The Giver series. While it has nothing to do with the first one, it has everything to do with the first one. (People who have read this already would understand that, ha)

I was riveted from the very first chapter- we're introduced to a savage future world where the mighty prey on the weak, and cast out the undesirables to the wild where they are to be slaughtered by the frightening beasts in the woods. Kira is our main character-
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
If you're expecting a sequel to The Giver, you will be very disappointed. The two books are completely unrelated to one another. Just think of this book has another dystopian and you will enjoy it more.

This book focuses on Kira. She's a young girl, born with a bad leg and shunned for it. When her mother dies she is kicked out of her home and left for dead. She's saved only by her talent with thread and weaving. She finds a new
Cui
Nov 04, 2008 Cui rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quarter-1
This book is about a Teenage girl that was born with a leg deform at birth. Her mother just passed away and her father got dragged away by the fierce piece in the woods that they nearby. Kira, The Teenage girl was known to be like 'useless' to the village because of her deformed leg and they planned to kick her out of the village and take away her house. Kira didn't want to have her house taken because if it was taken she wouldn't have a place to live so they let the Council of Guardians to deci ...more
Ferdy
Feb 01, 2013 Ferdy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoilers

I enjoyed this slightly more than The Giver (the first book in the series). Kira was a far more relatable protagonist than Jonas… However, she wasn't very endearing — she lacked depth and just wasn't very interesting — all there was to her was her niceness and her ability to let other people push her around, control her and use her. I would have preferred a heroine that was more in charge of herself and more aware of her surroundings.
The world in Gathering Blue wasn't quite as fascinati
Simona Stoica
Aug 04, 2016 Simona Stoica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seria lui Lois Lowry ar trebui să fie studiată la şcoală. Simbolistica este cutremurătoare. Făuritoarea de albastru dezvoltă temele din Darul lui Jonas, le transpune într-o viziune asemănătoare, fără să le caute o explicație sau o rezolvare. Un stil fluid, o lectură rapidă şi personaje magice. Mi-a plăcut foarte mult şi abia aştept al 3-lea roman, care le va lega pe primele două.
Danielle
Feb 13, 2008 Danielle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read this book because I enjoyed "The Giver" so much. Unfortunately, this was a disappointment. It was predictable, unimaginative, and unmoving. I didn't feel for any of the characters, who seemed written intentionally to tug at the reader's heartstrings. Unlike "The Giver," the plot points in this novel felt contrived and up until the very end I just didn't care what happened to Kira, or anyone else connected with her. A young reader might enjoy this, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone els ...more
Nikita
Apr 04, 2016 Nikita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Confusing and disappointing. I thought it's going to pick up right where the first book ended but this is an entirely different story, a different world from that of The Giver. I like it when the plot and the setting get dark and gritty but in this one, it didn't work for me. I don't think I'll be finishing the series.
ياسمين ثابت

description

اللون الأزرق
اللون الوحيد الناقص في حياة هذا المجتمع الذي اختلقته لويس لوري

هذه الكاتبة الرائعة التي كتبت رواية الواهب

قد تكون هذه االرواية هي الجزء الثاني من الواهب لكنها لا ترتبط بها قط في الاحداث...الفكرة متشابهة إلى حد ما لكن النهاية عكس الرواية الاولى...كأن الكاتبة قررت أن تكتب نفس الفكرة باسلوب اخر ونهاية اخرى ليس أكثر

هذه الرواية على عكس الواهب رتمها بطئ إلى حد الملل مع انها اقصر من الواهب على حد علمي

تتحدث عن المجتمع بشكل رمزي...باسلوبها المبسط المختصر في الوصف...تصف كل شئ في جمل قصيرة تجعلك
Mahsa  fanaei
Jul 13, 2015 Mahsa fanaei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
نمی تونم علاقم رو در خوندن کتابای نوجوان پنهان کنم ^_^ کتاب دوست داشتنی بود کایرا توماس و مت ^_^ همه این ها در دهکده ای زندگی می کنند که پر از آدمای خودخواه هستن ولی این ها هرکدام یه قدرت خارق العاده دارن کایرا یه بافنده جادویی هست توماس یک تراشکار و مت قلب مهربونش و البته جو کوچولوی آوازخوان :) و در نهایت آبی که از گیاه نیل و آب باران ساخته میشه و فقط انسان های مهربان میتونن اون رو بسازن :))
دوسش داشتم ^_^
Lonna | FLYLēF

FLYLeF Book Reviews

Original Post: Gathering Blue at FLYLeF (www.flylef.com) with 3.5/5

LOIS LOWRY CONTINUES to create a unique world in her second volume of The Giver quartet. In Gathering Blue , she intricately weaves a society wrought with poverty, where savagery, greed, and deceit prevail, and the weak are mercilessly shunned and discarded.

Kira, born physically flawed, is destined for abandonment in the Field of Leaving. By the fierce protection and love of her mother, she marginally escapes this heartless cu
Sue Moro

Although labeled as The Giver 2, this book has little connection to The Giver. Neither Jonas, nor any of the characters from The Giver appear in this book. The only correlation seems to be the main characters' naïveté about the world they are living in and their role in it.

In the first book, Jonas's eyes are opened by the old man known as the Giver. In this companion novel, our main character, Kira, begins to see the world for what it is when her father, known as the Seer returns secretly to he
Arpit Jain
Oh My God! Again the same ending like The Giver, the cliffhanger-type.
I had high expectations from this book after loving the Number the Stars by the same author Lois Lowry, though neither disappointed nor satisfied I feel now.
I think Lois Lowry has an specialization in creating such societies which are either highely organized or too much messy. This book is just opposite of The Giver in society-wise, but almost same in story-wise and narration-wise.
When I started this, it seemed to me a first
Abbie
Dec 08, 2015 Abbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another okay book in the series, but there were times where I felt a bit bored. It dragged slightly in areas because of it, but it wasn't too bad as the book didn't take all that long to get through.
Around the Year i...: Gathering Blue, by Lois Lowry 3 12 Feb 24, 2016 11:26AM
Theme Projects 2016: Lucy's Gathering Blue Theme Project 1 4 Feb 18, 2016 08:33PM
  • Among the Brave (Shadow Children, #5)
  • The Secret Under My Skin
  • UnSouled (Unwind, #3)
  • The Last Book in the Universe
  • A Solitary Blue (Tillerman Cycle, #3)
  • The Goodness Gene
  • Restoring Harmony
  • Outside In (Insider, #2)
  • The Lord of Opium (Matteo Alacran #2)
  • Mockingbird
  • The Roar (The Roar, #1)
  • The Road to Memphis
  • The Devil's Arithmetic
  • Forest Born (The Books of Bayern, #4)
  • Invitation to the Game
  • The Library Card
  • A Wind in the Door (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #2)
  • And All Between (Green Sky, #2)
Taken from Lowry's website:
"I’ve always felt that I was fortunate to have been born the middle child of three. My older sister, Helen, was very much like our mother: gentle, family-oriented, eager to please. Little brother Jon was the only boy and had interests that he shared with Dad; together they were always working on electric trains and erector sets; and later, when Jon was older, they always
More about Lois Lowry...

The Giver Quartet (4 books)
  • The Giver (The Giver, #1)
  • Messenger (The Giver, #3)
  • Son (The Giver Quartet, #4)

“Take pride in your pain; you are stronger than those who have none” 3733 likes