Cold Springs

Cold Springs

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  529 ratings  ·  66 reviews
The death of a child ripples effects on all around her - whether accident, suicide, or murder. Katherine Chadwick 16 overdoses on heroin while babysitting little Mallory, daughter of her parents' best friends. Forward nine years to two ruined marriages. For a reform school in Cold Springs Texas, Kat's dad must capture Mallory, now 15 and in trouble.
Published March 2nd 2004 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Springs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Springs

The Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
Best Rick Riordan Books
33rd out of 44 books — 155 voters
The Lost Hero by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick RiordanThe Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
San Antonio Authors
10th out of 140 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Dianne Bennett
I'd read his Young Adult Percy Jackson books and had fun with them.

This adult thriller is a perfect example of the genre with continuous tension, well developed characters and a story that leads you down a very twisted and unexpected path. There is no quick easy ending with all the bows tied up but it also doesn't leave things unresolved. I wasn't at all surprised to read that he is a middle school teacher as his understanding of juvenile psychology is about as spot on as I've read in a work of...more
Joleen
Rick Riordon wrote adult books before his Percy Jackson set. I love the Percy Jackson's (written for kids) really well. I thought that he adult books would be great too and maybe some are but this one was full of the "f" word over and over and I just couldn't take it anymore. I only got about 50 pages in and quit. I hope his other adult ones are better.
Natalie
This was really like a 2.5 star read, good but . . . SF private school for kids intersecting with families in oakland with a tough love school in texas. Moral gray areas may keep readers from sympathizing too deeply with any of the characters, but the plot moves quickly and is complicated enough to keep a reader turning the pages.
Melissa
I read this book in less than 24 hours! Very absorbing, and with a great twist at the end that made me almost want to start right back at the beginning to read it again knowing what i knew by the end. Although this author also writes children's books, this is definitely an adult novel.
Maddy
RATING: 3.5

Katherine Chadwick is a confused young woman who is going through all the trials of growing up. She's taken some wrong turns with her life, most notably by becoming involved with drugs, but her parents believe that she has turned the corner. They are testing Katherine and themselves by going out for an evening with their friends, Ann and John Zedman, while Katherine remains at home babysitting 6-year-old Mallory Zedman. But Katherine hasn't put her demons behind her. She takes Mallory...more
Kathy Davie
The Story
Based in the San Francisco Bay area and the hill country in Texas, Cold Springs follows a former schoolteacher turned delinquent escort attempting to purge his guilt and the ghost of his teen-aged daughter who died of a heroin overdose by helping young people in trouble. An old army buddy runs a boot camp in the Texas hills where parents send their troubled kids and Ann, a friend from his former life, calls and asks him to pick up her daughter, Mallory. Race's mother has just been found...more
An Odd1
First and last of Riordan's adult novels, rated higher for quality of writing, despite distaste for painful scary topic. Serious Texas American style includes drugs, racism, rednecks, and guns in schools. Plot differs vastly from previous myth or history lecture for teens, that were funny formulaic quests, and brother-sister duo save family and world. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI08-p... Review. http://aneyespy.blogspot.ca/2012/01/d...

Teen Katherine overdoses while babysitting young Mallory....more
Roberto
Best book by Rick Riordan I've read so far. The story starts with a 16 old girl having an overdose of heroin. Her father, a former military that was a school teacher by then, leaves his home and starts a new life in another state. Nine years later, a series of facts leads the main character to face again the reasons of the death of his daughter.
Kim
I really wanted to love this bood because I loved the Percy Jackson series. The storyline was ok, but it was really jumpy and he kept introducing plot twists to make you keep guessing. I am ok with all of that, but I was not ok with the way the book ended. He didn't close several of his plot twists or give any more insight into them. I felt like he was sitting on the fence on whether to write a sequel or not. It felt as if he was leaving some things open so that if he wanted he could contiinue,...more
Robert
Economy of words. A fairly simple formula that I felt could have applied in several instances throughout this book. It seems the word processor kind of got ahead of the author as he was describing various thought processes and emotions of his characters. Other than that small gripe this is a good mystery/suspense type of book. Involving some blackmail and murder the author has put in some good twists and turns. Some that he will hold until the very end. And the ending was another instance where...more
Lindsey
This book was definitely darker than Rick Riordan's other books. But I enjoyed it, I didn't really see who the murderer was going to be. It was a book about growing up and moving on from the past.
Janet
It's rare these days that I find a novel that makes me want to skip other needs/responsibilities in my life in order to finish reading it. This is one of them. I didn't give it five stars for a couple of reasons: I found a couple sections confusing as I worked my way through, which nearly made me set it aside unfinished, but everything was tied together nicely by the end. I'm glad I stuck with it. And while I enjoyed the way Riordan cast doubt and suspicion on every character as he went along, t...more
Alicia
I know I shouldn't start this right now. I'm in the middle of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and I'm completely enthralled. But hey, it's Rick Riordan for grown ups. I have to give it a try because I love reading the Percy Jackson series to my son.
I'd have to give this 3.5 stars. I really got into it after the 1/2 way point and wanted to know the ending. However, it was dark and depressing and at times confusing. I am usually pretty good at guessing "who did it." This one had me second gu...more
Karen Brown
Okay, but his writing style was a little elementary
Tracey
not bad, not fantastic but quite an easy and intriguing read, with a good storyline.
Jeannine
After being pulled in to Riordan's YA work, I wondered what sort of fantasy he could whip up for an adult audience. The story quickly developed into a parent's worst nightmare - but it held my attention throughout and kept the suspense to the end. Riordan's command of words, feelings, and actions are amazing, I just haven't figured out whether I like reading books with this much reality in them. If you are looking for a page-turning, crime-oriented mystery, this books is it.
Cindy Kee
A good story but I found his writing a little difficult to read at times. This was the first Rick Riordan book I have read. His writing style in this book often left me feeling like he had no rhythm and flow to the prose and the frequent choppiness made it hard to read at times. But I did enjoy the story, though I would have liked to see a little more about how Mallory faired in the aftermath of the events. Maybe he was leaving it open for a sequel with her in it?
priddymomma
Super dark. You'd be surprised coming to this if you'd recently read Percy Jackson...but not if you'd read Tres Navarre. It claims to be a novel about secrets. There are definitely plenty of secrets, but it's also a novel of twists, suspense, humor (as is Riordan), and mystery. A downer at times for sure. At least give it until they reach Cold Springs before you call it a day. Well worth the read.
Andrew Joyce
Wow. I have to say, I'm again blown away by Rick Riordan. This mystery was slow at the start, but, once it got going, it was amazing.

I had abandoned this book before because I was trying to read 2 books at once. Don't do that. But, once I restarted, I enjoyed the book a lot more.

This was my first venture into adult lit. I have to say, I'm still quite fond of teen lit. It's more my level.
Rani Self
Having read quite a bit of his teen fiction, from Percy Jackson to the Kane Chronicles to The 39 Steps, I was curious to delve into his adult fare. Gripping read! I stayed up until 3 am today finishing it and then had to get up at 7. It's a sad story about broken families and troubled youth and definitely got under my skin. Crossing my fingers my kids turn out nothing like the ones in this book!
Missmath144
Sep 01, 2008 Missmath144 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Recommended to Missmath144 by: I read his YA book and liked it.
Hard to put down, this book has a complicated cast of characters and a gripping story. Like any good mystery, I thought I had it figured out several times, but it still surprised me at the end. I don't think it was necessary to tie up all the loose ends; it probably could have ended sooner, but then again, I probably would have complained if things weren't resolved. Guess I'm hard to please.
Debby
WOW! What a fantastic roller coaster of a book with quite a few twists and turns to keep you pondering the "who-dunit" to the very end!! Cold Springs is uch a well-crafted mystery with quite a cast of characters. I look forward to reading his newest novel Camp Half-Blood very soon.
Rick Riordan is the author of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and the Tres Navarre series.
Chris
I didn't love or hate this book, but definitely a far cry from his YA writing. I just kind of found all the adult main characters boring and pretty crappy parents. It started out horribly depressing and just got more depressing but finally there was some payoff (after about a dozen deaths or so) at the end. I think I will stick to his Percy Jackson series. :)
Sylvia
Another great book by Rick. It was much different from the Tres Navarre series but great none the less. The agony, love, betrayal, understanding between friends was pretty tough to read about because it truly reminded me of real life. I'd like to work at a school like Cold Springs it sounds tough but what a lost kid really needs.
R Kincaid
I read this because my kids and I were enjoying his Percy Jackson series. This was a page-turner, and I really liked his main character.
Petesea
The death (overdose or suicide, you decide) of an only child casts a pall over 2 families and a small private school over the following 10 years. I am not sure if the motivation of the protagonist Samuel is believable. I did want to keep reading once I was into it to see whodunit.
Cara
After reading his YA fantasy books, I was looking forward to his adult novel. The swearing almost made me put it down. It was very distracting and unnecessary. The plot twists and turns and the teenage psyche is well described. Painful stories.
Chris
Even though this was a well written captivating story I just have a hard time getting past all of the profanity. Come on! Educators don't talk like that! I enjoy his young adult books so much more because to the cleaner language!
Mary Black
Great writing, good story. Rick Riordan is wonderful
Carly
Jun 26, 2013 Carly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
An interesting read from one of my favorite young adult novelists. This book is not for young readers, however. This is a complicated story of two couples, each raising a daughter when things go terribly wrong...

A fun read.
  • The Barbarous Coast
  • Eye Of The Beholder
  • The African Quest (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #5)
  • Good Morning, Killer (An FBI Special Agent Ana Grey Mystery #2)
  • The Golden Fleece and the Heroes Who Lived Before Achilles
  • The Cutie (Hard Case Crime #53)
  • Panama
  • Jimi Hendrix Turns Eighty
  • Magic City: A Novel (Thorn, #9)
  • The Motive (Dismas Hardy #11)
  • Murder at Union Station (Capital Crimes, #20)
  • The Information Officer
  • Killing Castro (Hard Case Crime, #51)
  • The Book of Murder
  • The James Deans (Moe Prager, #3)
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • The Judgment
  • The Hotel Majestic

More about Rick Riordan...
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)