Dinosaur vs. the Library

Dinosaur vs. the Library (Dinosaur vs.)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  521 ratings  ·  114 reviews
Dinosaur is going to one of his favorite places: the library! On the way, he invites his friends--a lonesome turtle, a sad owl and more-- to roar along with him. But how will his roaring go over at the library? Has Dinosaur finally met his match in Storytime? By combining everyone's favorite feisty red dinosaur with a variety of animals and a celebration of reading, author...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Disney-Hyperion

Library Lion by Michelle KnudsenThe Library by Sarah StewartThe Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians by Carla MorrisThe Library Dragon by Carmen Agra DeedyLibrary Mouse by Daniel Kirk
Picture Books about the Library!
34th out of 103 books — 108 voters
84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffThe Library by Sarah StewartReading Lolita in Tehran by Azar NafisiA Gentle Madness by Nicholas A. BasbanesFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Books about books and libraries
181st out of 310 books — 70 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather
This is the best book in the series yet. When dinosaur visits the library will he remember to use his "inside roar"? The illustration of Dinosaur trying to stay quiet during storytime is priceless! You'll have to read it to see whether Dinosaur or the Library wins, but one thing's for certain... the reader is definitely wins by checking out this excellent picture book.
Melissa
Like other reviewers, I wanted more library in this library book! I did notice that all the animals he met on the way TO the library showed up as friends at storytime, so there was a slight connection between the walk to the library and the library itself. The "inside roar" is good, as is "Okay, they both win" at the end. The first one is the best!
Dolly
Oct 10, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens, library
We've read both Dinosaur vs. Bedtime and Dinosaur vs. the Potty and while our girls are getting a little too big for these books, they still find them to be quite humorous. The loud roaring and the all-too apt description of toddler/preschooler behavior is fun. And since the dinosaur is the one with the focus on him, children won't feel like the spotlight is on their own behavior.

We saw the author, Bob Shea, at the 2011 National Book Festival at the National Mall in Washington DC on 25 Septembe...more
Carly Reighard
As a Children's librarian, I LOVE this book!

As the dinosaur makes his way to the library, he meets many shy and quiet animals. After having a roaring contest with each of them, he's left them in quite a tizzy. And now, they're all roaring, too! But once he arrives at the library for storytime, he has to choose whether or not he will have a roaring contest with his library friends.

The illustrations in this book are phenomenal and I felt as though I could really relate to the book. Although the d...more
Colby Sharp
My four year old is the reason for the 4 stars. I wasn't completely sold, but he went nuts. He read it for a solid 45 minutes in bed tonight, complete with gigantic roars.

Sometimes I feel like in order to understand a books quality you need to read it to its intended audience.
Jessica
The ending of Dinosaur vs. the Library was a bit of a letdown, and you could tell by the reactions of the storytime kids, but overall, it was the most successful book of the books/libraries themed storytime. It mainly consists of roaring like a dinosaur, and I made sure that every time the dinosaur roared (almost everyone at storytime was over five and could read already, so they knew when the ROAR!s were coming), they made a "scary dinosaur face" and ROARed their little hearts out. Much of it c...more
Renee
MaryAnn
Any book with library in the title that also has the library being the winner gets my multiple star rating.

This would be especially fun to read aloud as it provides a lot of opportunities to do different and/or funny voices. Added bonus: young readers/listeners can join in, with their different/funny voices too.
Kayla
Oh, I wanted this book to be so much better. We love Dinosaur vs Bedtime. Dinosaur vs the Potty was good, but not as good. This one is a bit of a flop. For me, the biggest letdown is that most of the book is, oddly enough, not about the library at all. The first 3/4 of the story is Dinosaur walking along roaring (and roaring, and roaring) and teaching his roar to the random animals he meets along the way, which is cute but mostly irrelevant to the title. I like that when he (finally) arrives at...more
Robin
Great for the opening day of storytime
Tricia
I'm not a talented "roar-er". So I find Shea's books challenging based upon my inability to give them full readaloud flair. That being said, who doesn't love dinosaur? While library is in the title, the build up to the actual visit to the library includes a variety of animals (whew, I can do moos and peeps!). Big kudos to Shea for inserting storytime behavior ("No, Dinosaur! Use your inside roar!") in the book. For those librarians with a wily roarability, this will be one that will thrill your...more
Alicia
I wanted to love this book because of the library theme, of course, but the book didn't live up to my hopes. Shea's concept was great, but the execution fell flat. The build-up felt disjointed. Even though animal/dinosaur sounds usually make for great storytime reading, I don't think the kids really understood the action based on the sounds and pictures. And, without the build-up, the ending doesn't make a ton of sense. I wanted to make up my own words for the first 10 pages.
*Queen Diva*
The illustrations were cute... but that's about all I liked. Sorry Mr. Shea!
Emilia P
Errol read this to me. Errol is amazing and an amazing book reader. Ooh ah. This book is also pretty nice and great. Especially the illustrations and the very very bold color choices. The narrative is fairly absurd throughout and devolves into nonsense in the best way ever at the end. A great book for weirdo parents and weirdo kids and weirdos period. Read: Us. And Sharka.

P.S. Errol's special note: Dinosaurs Rule.
Courtney Huskisson
Same great little Dino Rawr! But can he win against story time??
jacky
I read this to Natalie in the book store one day one she was particularly grumpy about her torticollis. Maybe that mood and having to look at it upside down as I read rubbed off on me, but I didn't like this one as much as the first two in the series. I just didn't feel like the running into different types of animals pattern meshed well with Dinosaur. It was still cute and fun, just not as awesome.
I'm an elementary librarian and loved the librarian theme in this book! It's a bit young, however, and I think it is best suited for preschool (and maybe Kindergarten) read alouds. As much fun as the book is, I'm betting that all the ROARING! will be more than I would enjoy with a group of enthusiastic listeners. The kids would totally love it though and it would be a great closing choice.
Rakisha
Danica Midlil
I was disappointed by this one. Definitely Not the best one in the series. This book seemed to ramble around. Dispite the cover, the book has very little to do with the library at all. Bob Shea could have covered so many aspects of visiting the library. Computers, toys, librarians, reading alone, being read to, seeing friends there, etc. Instead we meet cows along the way? What?
Lame...
Vivian
This works great as an interactive story at a story time or at home. Lots of opportunities to roar!
Jessica
Appeal Characteristics: THE LIBRARIAN ALWAYS WIN! Child Behaviors, Story Time etiquette, Great animal concept

If you have a noisy kid in storytime, or have a parent asking about story-time etiquette...this is the book! I loved the fact he was louder than all the other "animals" (kids) on his way to the library...but at the library... :) Well I'll leave that up to you to find out!
Heidi
My first "Dinosaur vs." book. I think I may be missing a few things about it, but it was still fun. I loved all the roaring and the animals with their roars. Some of the story didn't flow for me. I'd have to think how to read this with the kids (besides having them roar along). Loved the pictures--some of the expressions, especially of the dinosaur near the end, were great!
Peacegal
Peacegal vs. The Library

This book was a bit of a disappointment, as far more time was spent on Dinosaur's journey to the library than the library itself. (I did, however, appreciate the sad owl.)

When he finally arrives at Storytime, Dinosaur must learn to use his indoor roar. In the end, the Library wins. The Library always wins.
Candice
Jan 09, 2012 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Another fun book in the Dinosaur vs. series. This time Dinosaur is going to the library. Along the way he meets a series of other animals and there is plenty of opportunity for roaring. But when he roars in the library, he is reminded to use his "inside roar." Will he be able to remain roar-less for the entire storytime? Check it out and see who wins.
Ginny
Hehe roaring in the library :) I did a Dinosaur storytime years ago and had the kids roar. It was so much fun. I wish I'd had this book back then. Well, but then I'd need time travel, and the introduction of this book years before it was published would have like broken the space time continuium thing. (I totally butchered that spelling, I know.)
Erin
I did not care for the start of the book as much as I liked the other Dinosaur vs. books. However, when the dinosaur gets to the library things get fun. "Use your indoor roar." - perfect for those loud storytime kiddos. We practiced our indoor roars and our library roars. This book was a lot of fun and we will be reading it at story time again. :)
babyhippoface
I read this to one class of kids, to talk about library behavior. But all those ROARS! ripped my vocal cords right out of my throat. The kids were good at it, too, but all those ROARS! ripped my eardrums in half. Just can't win. :)

This isn't bad, but not good enough for me to risk my voice reading it to multiple classes!
Jen
This book is fantastic for reading to new groups that may not know you well and need some encouragement to be engaged. Like me telling them that when they see ROAR! they need to roar as loud as they can without making their neighbors cover their ears.

A godsend for when you have 10 minutes with a group of kids to promote SRP schools.
Angie
Had this on hold at the library for almost five weeks. Just picked it up and ... it's cute. And funny. Don't get me wrong. I do like it. I just sort of feel like ... am I missing something?

Need to read this with some kiddos and then I might understand better. We are doing holiday stories right now so it will have to wait for a bit.
Meadow
I love the little roaring chicks!
  • Meeow and the Big Box
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
  • Book! Book! Book!
  • The Foggy, Foggy Forest
  • I Am So Handsome
Dinosaur vs. Bedtime Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great I'm a Shark New Socks Dinosaur vs. the Potty