Awkward (Smith High, #1)

Awkward (Smith High #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  2,271 ratings  ·  319 reviews
Mackenzie Wellesley has spent her life avoiding the spotlight. At Smith High, she's the awkward junior people only notice when they need help with homework. Until she sends a burly football player flying with her massive backpack and makes a disastrous - not to mention unwelcome - attempt at CPR. Before the day is out, the whole fiasco explodes on YouTube. And then the str...more
Published January 1st 2012 by K-Teen (first published January 1st 2011)

Thoughtless by S.C. StephensBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEffortless by S.C. StephensLove Unscripted by Tina ReberWhere She Went by Gayle Forman
I'm a Celebrity. Love me!
168th out of 450 books — 1,440 voters
Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A. TuckerMy Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. HiltonJust a Little Crush by Tracie PuckettMeant to Be by Lauren MorrillDizzy by Nyrae Dawn
Books that I will Read in E-Book
6th out of 166 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

Savannah (Books With Bite)
I LOVED this book! I loved it so much that I want to squeeze the life out of it! Not only did I smile the whole way through the books but I fell in love with the writing and creation of the story. Was this a good book? Heck yes! I want to read it over and over again just to feel happy again!!

So why did I fall in love? Well unlike most books out there, this story of a girl is what I thought. I thought she would let everything get to her and do something stupid. But no. The author took me by surp...more
Nick
Read more of my reviews at Nick's Book Blog

After having read the summary for Awkward, I didn't really have huge expectations. I'll admit that the cover is what drew me to read this book. Doesn't it look totally cool ?
You know what ? This book was so perfect, I wanted to give it a big hug ! I loved it.
It wasn't deep or highly philosophical or anything. Instead, it was a cute book with a few themes that are common in YA.

Awkward follows the story of Mackenzie. She is what you can call the invisible...more
K
May 17, 2012 K rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: library
This one falls into the Fun Read category.

Mackenzie introduces herself as an Invisible. She’s awkward and geeky and thankfully, invisible is right where she wants to be. Of course, it’s de rigueur that she has a fantasyland crush on a Notable, and Patrick happens to be marginally responsible for her infamy. She’s caught in a weird power play conversation with Logan, a Notable whose parents pay her very well to tutor, and his Mean Girl ex when Patrick enters her line of sight. At first, she commi...more
Samia Ruponti
My first book of Marni Bates was Decked with Holly and I absolutely loved it! God only knows why I didn't read this one sooner (so that I'll have a book left for winter white reading challenge!:p). I absolutely loved it! I adored Mackenzie, because, well, she felt real. I could definitely see myself in her (except the studious part, I never studied that much in my entire life!). I laughed out loud countless times!

Mackenzie was great in the average-teenager way. Logan was also good, but maybe we...more
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
Review first posted at A Backwards Story. Cover design analysis available exclusively on my blog as well as a Character Word Association Game with Logan coming March 21st!

If you're looking for a fun, refreshing contemporary YA, look no farther than AWKWARD. Readers will find themselves rooting for socially awkward high school student Mackenzie as she finds her most embarrassing moment broadcast on YouTube for the world to see, which puts her every klutzy moment from there on out in the spotlight...more
Amanda (Good Choice Reading)
I was extremely surprised by Awkward. It sounded cute, but I will admit the cover made me a bit wary to read it. It looked like this story would be geared toward younger teens, more toward the middle grade age, and I was afraid I wouldn’t end up liking it for this reason. Lucky for me, that isn’t the case.

Awkward is the first book I’ve read in quite some time where I completely let go, and just enjoyed the story. I didn’t over-think things like I normally do, and it was heaps of fun. I read it i...more
Abegail Topado

AWKWARD it is.
4.5 stars. Why? Because:

1. It's very different. The story alters from different perspectives.

2.It's unpredictable and a little predictable at the same time. There were times that I thought a certain something would happen-but didn't. And the thing about Logan, I had a hint that he would be the one ending up with Mackenzie and had been sure about it when the whole stroll-at-the-mall-to-hide-from-paparazzi thing happened.

3.It has a different edge(to me) when first person is used. I m...more
Mics Ivashkov
Había hecho la reseña ayer pero justo se me cortó la luz y se me borró todo así que aquí vamos de nuevo.

Este libro esta dedicado a todos aquellos que se han sentido fuera de lugar y/o invisibles. Es decir… a todo el mundo. Mejora con el tiempo.

Desde que leí PLAY se me pego eso de leer las dedicatorias de los libros y esta es de lejos una de mis favoritas.

Bueno, leí este libro el año pasado y me había encantado, me pareció divertido, tierno y una linda historia de amor del primer amor pero aho...more
Avon Bernabe
Love love love this book!

The title really suits the book. Mackenzie is one hell of an awkward girl. But that won't be a hindrance dear. Because judging by what happened to her life, you might want to be an awkward too. Seriously, I won't mind. ;)

We all know that there are many YouTube sensations on the rise all over the world. And I liked how this book showed that in a way. Same, but not quite the same. That's why I loved this one. :)

I loved how it was able to make me laugh from the simple "remi...more
Kayla
I don't know if I like this book as much as I did because I read a really bad book before this one but whatever. Who cares? I loved it! *-*

Awkward was one of the best comedy books I've read so far (LOL I don't think I've read any, anyways) it had me laughing from the first chapter until the end. I had never felt so much second hand embarrassment in my life, thanks Mackenzie.

Our main character, Mackenzie, was adorable in my opinion. :3 Selfless, funny, smart and socially awkward penguin has not...more
Dea Sauva
4.5/5

This is the most adorable book I’ve read in a while! It is a quick and fun and hilarious read that deals with coming out of your own shell and learning how to trust again. Mackenzie, having been famous for her video on YouTube where she knocked out a jock and attempted to do CPR, suddenly faces a life of a Hollywood celebrity over the weekend. She’s been chased by paparazzi and getting the perks of being famous like free designer clothes and backstage passes to her most favorite band’s con...more
Tara
Mar 17, 2012 Tara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
REVIEW ORIGINALLY POSTED http://hobbitsies.net/wordpress/2012/...

Awkward by Marni Bates is one of those books that you read and think, “WHY didn’t I read this sooner?” See the girl on the cover? That was me throughout all of Awkward – I was a giggly, squealing mess because I was having so much fun. I was giggling in parts of Awkward that weren’t even particularly funny.

And Marni Bates knows teens. I just wanted to hug Mackenzie and be like I KNOW YOU. Awkward is so unbelievably relatable and emb...more
Amy Lignor

This novel really shows you the power of Youtube and all those other technological programs and devices we all seem to love so much. In fact, it will remind you of all those news programs that talk about how the government watches our every move each and every day.

Mackenzie Wellesley was one of those quiet, brilliant nerds who liked to stay far away from the spotlight. In fact, she has named her ‘side’ the Invisibles, and spends a great deal of time avoiding the ‘Notables,’ so she doesn’t have t...more
Mari
One word: hilarious! I loved how insanely awkward Mackenzie is. I loved how Jane, Corey and Mack's brother Dylan were so protective and loyal to her. And I love Logan, as in "can I have him for myself?" love him. Awkward is chock-full of pop-culture references and for the most part, it works. Of course, the downside to this is it makes the story feel dated. A good example would be that of a celebrity mentioning his wife, when everyone knows (well, everyone who has read Hollywood breaking news in...more
Nina
Awkwardby Marni Bates was a fun and light read. I sometimes find myself having to alternate between more intense and series books with lighter reads otherwise I'd be a nervous wreck. I worry about my characters too much sometimes. Mackenzie is used to flying under the radar and spending her time studying for her multiple AP classes. Usually, she rambles when she's nervous and finds herself in awkward situations. During one of her most embarrassing moments in public, some mystery person decided t...more
Audrey
Title: Awkward
Author: Marni Bates
Series: Awkward #1

Main character: 3/5
Mackenzie was charmingly cute, but sometimes her "awkwardness" was a little over the top. I get it, the book is entitled "Awkward" but sometimes it was a little too much. I loved that she was flawed. It was a little stereotypical, but the fame did change her and she had to realize that.

Secondary characters: 3/5
Mackenzie's friends were so good about making her realize her flaws too. I loved Corey, Melanie and Mackenzie's broth...more
Marla Mei
Awkward is super cute and funny and if you're just looking for a light summer read then this would be the perfect choice! The book's premise may be a cliché already but I did find myself enjoy this one. It's humorous, funny and the characters are just enjoyable and relatable.
Emily Anne
Okay, for the record, I loved, loved, loved this book! It made me laugh so hard. Pure 100% awesomeness.

I will post a full review later!
Hot Stuff Book Reviews

This novel will have a companion book with Jane story. She is Mackenzie best friend.

I have one thing to say: you should buy this book!

Who has already felt awkward with people? Who has already babbled things nobody really cared just to feel a little more secure? Seriously, who is awkward from time to time? I'm not ashamed to say that I can be quite awkward. So, how could you not like Mackenzie and her crazy life?

Marni Bates wrote a wonderful novel that is f...more
Amy Jacobs
I didn't have high expectations for this book when I first received it. To me the cover was a little cheesy and childish. Yet after you start reading this book, you find yourself sucked into the teen drama and at times find yourself laughing out loud at the scenario that is unfolding on the pages.

Mackenzie has always considered herself an invisible among her high school population. She isn't a part of the Notables who happen to be the rich and popular kids. Then everything changes once something...more
Hannah
I really don't know why I keep reading these books - I should know by now that younger YA just doesn't work for me anymore. The fact that me and Awkward didn't click isn't the book's fault; it's mine - typical high school stories might be fun for some readers, but I just don't want to be reading them anymore.

The set-up is the cliched high school setting, and the story is entirely predictable. We have the awkward geeky girl as the main character, her two best friends for comic relief, the bitchy...more
Michelle (FabBookReviews)
This was a title I came across by total random browsing. And what a lucky accident it turned out to be!

If you are searching for something totally fun, contemporary, and zippy, look no further. This is a read packed with likable characters, out-of-this-world experiences, and on-the-mark pop culture references.

The story's protagonist and narrator, Mackenzie, thinks of herself as plain ol' awkward. She, much like Mia Thermopolis of The Princess Diaries, is seriously lacking self-confidence. But onl...more
Bookish♥Sarah

♥ Find my reviews on Blogger ~ Reviews by Bookish Sarah

- - -

Mackenzie Wellesley has always tried to avoid attention. Being socially awkward and a bit clumsy, the spotlight is a no-no. So, being an “Invisible” at her high school is what she prefers. Her only direct contact with the “Notables” (popular kids) is her tutoring job with Logan - she is paid to tutor him in history. Aside from that, she watches from afar with her two besties, Jane and Corey, and works hard to get into the college she w...more
Nina
Awkward is hilarious. It is one of the funniest young adult novels I have ever read, and I laughed out loud more than once. To quote last week’s episode of Saturday Night Live, “Awkward is a white people word that can be applied to every situation”. Well, Awkward the book has some truly awkward scenes, like the horrible, horrible attempt at CPR, and many others I’ll let you discover on your own.

Mackenzie is hands down one of the most relatable characters I have come across in a long time. Yes, s...more
Melissa
I killed him, I thought numbly. I killed him with my awkwardness

So the quote above pretty much sums up the book...Well not really but its one of many that make the book hilarious.

Mackenzie is a hardworking, spastic,quirky awkward girl whose life changes after a mishap with a football player. The horribly awkward scene gets put on youtube then life starts to change drastically or poor sweet awkward Mackenzie.She's a instant hit famous celebs are talking and tweeting about her and then a famous b
Neyasit.Seraya
Oh, cute - that's the only word to describe it. "Awkward" is an epitome of everything cute, fluffy and this endearing kind of awkward that makes you go all "ohmygod". Usually I don't associate myself with YA heroines - I am well beyond the age of target audience. I was surprised to find some of MacKenzie qualities in highschool version of me - I preferred to be invisible then too.Almost everyone at some point was at this awkward stage, some grew out of it, some didn't. Hell, I still prefer a qui...more
Mandy
This book is actually really cute!

I've been neglecting my YA fiction and this was a really great way to get back into it. Awkward is the story of Mackenzie Wellesley, the queen of awkward. When one of her classmates manages to catch one of her blunders on video, it instantly goes viral and her life changes forever as she goes from invisible, to celebrity.

Don't get me wrong, it has its cliche moments, the big awkward fiasco the whole book is based around is kind of outlandishly ridiculous; ther...more
Camille
Aug 14, 2012 Camille rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: To all awkward people!
Recommended to Camille by: Klarybel Millo
Woah! This book got me laughing my freakin' ass off. From the very start we will understand why that is the title of the book. There was a lot of mention of Robert Pattinson *winkwink* here (Which I did not mind). . I love Corey and his Gaydar! I love Jane's supportiveness. Her mom is pretty cool. I love her cool and loving brother, Dylan. Patrick and Alex is such an asshole.

(view spoiler)...more
Aeicha
Read the complete and original review at Word Spelunking

Marni Bates’ Awkward was a pleasant surprise that had me laughing out loud and left me with the biggest smile on my face. Bates has taken a familiar storyline and breathed new life into it with endearing characters, a story that is outlandish enough to be fun and exciting but realistic enough to be relatable, and a wonderfully quirky spark.

MY BRIEF SUMMARY
Seventeen year old Mackenzie Wellesley has always gone out of her way to be invisible....more
Lecea
Awkward by Marni Bates is the first book I read this year in which I was able to connect with the main character. Seeing the book at the library, I was drawn to the cover, with its loose-leaf style background and screaming girl. I think the cover’s statement also summarizes the book well: Mackenzie Wellesley was a geek, until she went viral.

With a history of awkwardness, Mackenzie has always been uncomfortable in the spotlight and had a low self-esteem. When she sends a football player to the fl...more
  • Secret Life
  • The Geek Girl's Guide to Cheerleading
  • Shark Out of Water (Grab Your Pole, #3)
  • The Avery Shaw Experiment
  • Collision
  • Love at First Click (First Kisses, #6)
  • From What I Remember...
  • 7 Clues to Winning You
  • Ditched: A Love Story
  • How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True
  • Blue Eyes and Other Teenage Hazards
  • Freshman Year & Other Unnatural Disasters
  • Pride & Popularity (The Jane Austen Diaries, #1)
  • 52 Reasons to Hate My Father
  • Dizzy
  • The Boyfriend Game (First Kisses, #5)
  • Take a Bow
  • The Kissing Deadline
My autobiography MARNI (part of HCI's Louder Than Words series) was on the New York Public Library Stuff for the Teen Age 2010 List. I then signed a four book contract with KTeen. My first YA novel, AWKWARD, has been optioned by the Disney Channel as a made-for-TV movie and translated into Portuguese, Spanish, and Hungarian.

In my free time I can be found reading romance novels, rollerblading, si...more
More about Marni Bates...
Decked with Holly Invisible (Smith High, #2) Notable (Smith High, #3) Marni: My True Story of Stress, Hair-Pulling, and Other Obsessions Awkwardly Ever After (Smith High, #4)

“You don't have to be anyone but yourself.” 25 likes
“That's always the worst: the not knowing. Because then you're stuck with a hundred questions no one can answer.” 15 likes