Fistful of Reefer (Lost DMB Files #17)

Fistful of Reefer (Lost DMB Files #17)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  29 reviews
"Sergio Leone would have killed to film
FISTFUL OF REEFER. Harry Turtledove would admire
the way history has been skewed. Others will love
the notion of Reeferpunk. The estimable Mr. Brown
has really latched onto something here."

-- Mike Resnick

Fistful of Reefer delivers a surge equivalent to a cocktail of 1 part serotonin, 2 parts adrenaline, with a dash of grenadine served ov...more
ebook, 2nd edition, 357 pages
Published July 28th 2011 by David Mark Brown (first published July 21st 2011)

For Nothing by Nicholas DenmonThe Saladin Strategy by Norm ClarkBlue Coyote Motel by Dianne HarmanViolet Midnight by Allie BurkeEmerald Destiny by Allie Burke
A number of Great Indie Reads
43rd out of 345 books — 448 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTable 21 by T. Rafael CiminoGraceling by Kristin CashoreShiver by Maggie StiefvaterUglies by Scott Westerfeld
Best Kindle Books
31st out of 333 books — 271 voters

More lists with this book...

Marcus
After a rather bumpy start (I mistook the villain for the hero, which confused me...) I really got into the novella. The characters are great, maybe a little too black and white in sometimes. The Dieselpunk elements fun and surprising the "agricultural devices" (I try to avoid spoilers...) made me laugh.
Also, David really has a hand for action scenes. The sudden flood was one epic scene!
There will be an updated and longer verion of this review later, during the blog bonanza, but this will have t...more
edifanob
I was not sure what to expect. Now I'm glad I read the book.

- loveable characters
- great action scenes
- funny elements
- unexpected twists and turns
- Good mix of dieselpunk, western and alternate history

Read my full review over at Edi's Book Lighthouse
Lynda
This book combines steam punkness with cowboys, edge of your seat action, camaraderie and heroism. I love that this is written with a western back drop, war times, no sex scenes, no heavy swearing, and I most of all, there is no degrading of women in this book. Finally a writer who can give a girl a chance, that she isn't a tramp, she isn't beaten by her partner, isn't caught in some scandal. Yes the women in this story are secondary characters, however, this new take on women is refreshing.

Our...more
Tim C.
I picked up this book at launch because I’d already read and enjoyed the author’s short fiction. From the title, I thought this might be a stoner’s ode to weed. I wasn’t too keen on that, but a good author can make any subject matter read well, so I took a chance.

I’m so glad I did. Marihuana is a key McGuffin in the book, but not in a way you’d guess. I guess I’d classify it as an adventure story.

The title sounds like the film Fistful of Dollars, doesn’t it? Well, it is reminiscent of spaghetti...more
Jade Walker
Original review at http://inkscratchers.blogspot.com/

I entered Fistful of Reefer with a lot of trepidation, mainly because of the fact that I am a shy reader - I like to stay in familiar genres, namely young adult. I liked the synopsis for this book and also it was one of my first review requests from authors and so I was excited about that, also in his pitch, David mentioned that the book has been receiving praise from YA readers so I thought, hey, what the heck.

This book was totally unique to...more
Grant Gardiner
***Pulp Warning*** My e-reading is mostly e-pulp centric. My reviews are therefore skewed towards e-pulp reading. Reader beware. ***Pulp Warning***

I'll qualify this review by saying that while Fistful of Reefer does resemble many other pulp stories out there it isn't strictly pulp. The author's intent, as I understand it, was to write Dieselpunk and as such it's not trying to be pulp.

On the other hand, Dieselpunk is my other prose obsession and there's plenty of pulp grist for the mill in this...more
Scott Bury
I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Austin Job by David Mark Brown.

As soon as I started it, I realized that I should have read its predecessor, Fistful of Reefer, which creates and introduces the new sub-sub-genre of science fiction, reefer punk. According to the author's introduction to The Austin Job, "reefer punk" fiction is alternate history, set in the western US, based on the premise that oil never got cheap, and instead energy comes from "cellulosic ethanol from the wonderful cannabis plant....more
Joseph DiCristofano
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet," from my perspective, sets the tone for this review perfectly. Firstly, I implore you to not let the outrageous, gimmicky title deceive you into thinking this is just a schlock-filled pulp novel in the vein L. Ron Hubbard's juvenile forays into "No Man's Land." Fistful of Reefer is so much more than that. Go into the first chapter with an open mind, and the book will immediately take your imagination by the rein...more
Joe Crubaugh
Fistful of Reefer is an action-packed romp through the wild west circa the first world war. The scenery is painted as dangerous and gorgeous as in any John Ford film. The action is fast, but driven by characters with deep motivations that make sense. I was impressed with the sharp witty dialogue, and each character had their own unique manner of speech that reflected their various ethnicities and cultures, but still sounded 100% legit. The story itself is entertaining and suspenseful. This book...more
♥Xeni♥
EDIT: I was waiting for the final edition of this book to be released for me to write the review, especially since a lot of the things that were bothering me should be shined up by Brown. Haven't gotten the final edition yet, though!

Preliminary notes to my full review (which will be posted tomorrow or so):

-great characters; loved the total 180 from beginning to end and blurred black/white lines
-great historical aspects, especially tossing in all the relevant historical nuances
-amazing plot; star...more
James Birch
Full Review at: http://dttla.posterous.com/book-revie...#

Fistful of Reefer is a fast-paced, action-packed “reeferpunk” (I’m still not sure I understand what that means) that revolves around a renegade Texas Ranger chasing an elusive trio of like-able and colorful outlaws.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book - though it is much different than what I normally read. If you like action/adventure, dynamic and funny characters, a bullet (or many) flying, and/or the old west - you should enjoy Fistful of Ree...more
Chris
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but sometimes that's a good thing. Chancho, the main character, strives to do good and help out the orphanage where he was raised. In the process, he and his friends, Nina and Muddy, are chased by a single minded Texas ranger who refuses to quit. Helping them evade the law are many interesting characters who aid in make this book the adventure that it is. The theme of friendship that runs throughout is touching. It should be interesting to see where t...more
A Book Vacation

To see my full review:

This is definitely an action intense novel; there are few moments of downtime before the characters are tearing off on their next adventure, and thus, it’s a fairly riveting read, especially for those looking for a fast-paced story to pass the time. The characters are all interesting, sort of strange in some aspects, but they definitely keep the reader’s attention as the plot unfolds, what with the legend of Chupacabra as a m...more
Don
See my mini-review at: dwbeyer.com
Frida Fantastic (book blogger)
(Cross-posted from Adarna SF)

Fistful of Reefer has a killer premise. It’s a Weird West/dieselpunk adventure set in Texas about a gadgeteer genius Mexican marijuana farmer who’s on the run from a bordering-on-psychotic prohibitionist Ranger. It’s the first novel in the Reeferpunk series.

The opening scene sucked me in. Ranchers confront Chancho about their dead goats, and one reaches for his pistol and growls, “The goats didn’t die from demon curse or fright, they died from colic–from too much mar...more
Sue Owen
The name of this book is deceiving but once you’ve read the book you totally get why the author chose that name. I was prepared to read the first couple of chapters and send it back unreviewed, however, it surprised me. Pleasantly I have to add. It’s billed as a spaghetti western style and it certainly is. Keeping true to that genre it has the fumbling sheriff, the bad guy who’s really good and the story is quick, decisive and almost unbelievable.

This was a quick read but one that was very enter...more
John Horst
I am kind of conventional when it comes to entertainment, and I could never get into shows like The Wild West, both the old television series or the later movie. I also could never get into steampunk stuff. I just felt like I was too old for it,(meant as a criticism of me, not the genre). So, reading this story was an unlikely endeavor for me, as I only accidently learned about it when David was kind enough to give my story The Mule Tamer enough consideration for a review.
I kind of went into my...more
Shinjak
Oh boy, did I really want to like this book. The first few chapters were great! Great character development, interesting situations, a good plot premise. And then it was like the author drove his muse off a cliff. I had to stop reading after the cave scene, the dialogue was really that bad. Not to mention the invincible nature of one of the primary characters had me rolling my eyes until they almost stuck that way. Again, I really wanted to like this, I started caring about the characters and be...more
Trase Passantino
Brenda Wallace
Readers would do themselves a favor by jumping inside this fun story. It is inventive, visual and active with that big screen feel to it. Once you start that first page, you're in. The characters are unique, compelling, and three-dimensional. The author gives every sentence a lively artistic flair and his writing is both thought-provoking and humorous. There are so many unusual and unpredictable scenes in this story that it keeps you zooming to the next page. Some fun things include chili pepper...more
Demelza Carlton
From the beginning, this book reminded me a little of George RR Martin's Hunter's Run- and the mention of a chupacabra only reinforced this. It's the setting and the lifestyle that does it, for of course the story is entirely different.

I admit the ending confused me a little - it seemed a bit hurried. I'd have liked to see more detail leading up to the ending, as I've seen in some of Brown's other Lost DMB Files books. Perhaps I'm just not used to reading such fast action.

A thorougly enjoyable r...more
Scott McCoskey
I couldn't get into this book, not sure why. I'll give it another shot in a couple of months.
Alison S
Interesting story about the "Wild Wild West" of the Texas and Mexico border just after the turn of the century. With a little marijuana a few goats, El Chupacabra, a Texas Ranger, and many other interesting characters.

One of the descriptions called it a "This double-fisted, dieselpunk weird-Western resides between No Country for Old Men and The Three Amigos. and I think that is a very apt description.
I would be interested to see if Chancho's interest in mechanical and new technology makes other...more
Ron Sullivan
OK, so.... I typically dont post on my reviews, but in this case I feel obligated given the low rating. For starters, the setting (Texas / Mexico border towns) and the time (1920s) were a bit difficult for me to relate to. The story and characters were quite good and, while it took a while for me to get into the story, once it got going it was quite entertaining. Overall I probably would have rated it a 3, but the rather abrupt ending didn't set well with me. I suppose it left things open for a...more
Alanmccappin
Someone recommended this book to me. At first I saw the title and thought I'd end up reading the next "pineapple express" or "Harold and Kumar" but I was pleasantly surprised. The story is much deeper than it first appears, it's not a mere piece of shallow action, but a tale of camaraderie and friendship. Despite being not just an "action" piece the author seems to be adept at writing such scenes leaving me often on the edge of my seat. I will certainly be purchasing his next book "The Austin Jo...more
Dani
I have to admit that when I first saw the title, I thought to myself "now there's a book I would never read". It was a free ebook on the kobo website so I downloaded it anyway and it stayed on my ereader gathering e-dust until I finished the book I was reading and had nothing else to read. I am soooo glad I decided to give this book a chance! So action packed and not at all what I had expected! I've recommended it to my friends and family. I also named my cactus after the main character.
Gavin Wilson
This was the first of David's books I read and I loved it. McCutcheon is a great character and the relationship he has with his horse in particular is fantastic.

A wonderfully alternative look at the old west, but leading beautifully into a whole world created and crafted to produce a great series of books. The way the various storylines and characters interweave is delicious.
R!ch
Maybe it's me, but I only made it 40% in before giving up. Maybe I expected more quirkiness, or something a little more off beat, but it struck me as a pretty rote Western and as someone who likes Westerns I just didn't find a lot to excite me here
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Real Deal has arrived! 2 8 Jul 21, 2011 06:53PM
Raised in Central Texas, David Mark Brown learned to ride horses at a young age. Then learned to hate them after a disastrous attempt to impress a girlfriend. He was five.

Turning instead to a life of poetry and prose he eventually migrated north to the University of Montana (the Berkeley of the Rockies) and became the Redneck Granola.

Falling in love a chainsaw wielding mountain woman forced him to...more
More about David Mark Brown...
Twitch and Die! (Lost DMB Files #26) De Novo Syndrome (DMB Files, #1) The Austin Job (Lost DMB Files #18) McCutchen's Bones (Lost DMB Files, #25) Reefer Ranger (Lost DMB Files, #9)