Start by marking “Yondering” as Want to Read:

“Over the years I have been proud to write about the men and women of the American frontier. But I have written many stories with entirely different settings which I have long wanted to share with my readers.

“I have collected some of these in Yondering. They are glimpses of what my own life was like during the early years. Those were the rough years; often I was hungry,
Published October 1st 1989 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Yondering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yondering

Jun 09, 2012 Werner rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Short story fans, or fans of adventure fiction
Jan. 26, 2012
Best known for his Westerns, Louis L'Amour actually wrote stories and novels set in a variety of times and places. Like his Westerns, though, all of these tend to feature strong heroes who are macho but moral (and he well understood that these aren't contradictory qualities!), and who face physical and other challenges not unlike those that might have arisen on the Western frontier. The grist for these yarns came mainly from personal experience (though he also read voraciously): aft
Rogue-van (the Bookman)
Jul 01, 2013 Rogue-van (the Bookman) rated it really liked it
Shelves: fic, hf, rvo-reviewed
In this 1989 revised edition, L'Amour tells more tales of his early seafaring days. How do you survive in a port between ships when money is short? What kind of unique characters existed out there? They may not have been cowboys, but they had the frontier spirit. As usual, L'Amour's recollections and embellishments are well-crafted and memorable.
A collection of short stories from the life of Louis L'Amour, the preeminent author of western fiction in America. These are word snapshots of different experiences in his life that give the reader a better understanding of what made him tick, and what went into the cooking pot that made him who he was. I was especially touched by his story titled "The Man Who Stole Shakespeare." He spoke of following a man whom he had observed to shoplift a book in a small bookstore, only to discover that he wa ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 14, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
Yondering was a fascinating book, filled with nostalgia and really intense writing. It's definitely worth reading and easily gets interesting within the first few pages.
Steve Statham
Jan 05, 2012 Steve Statham rated it really liked it
Any writer who wants to see how a master constructs tight, well-structured short stories should read this book. L'Amour was best known for his westerns, but these tales were influenced by his years as a merchant sailor traveling the world. He captures the gritty realism and hard times he experienced, and yet the stories are often uplifting. If you want to understand how a guy could sell 100 million books, read a few stories from Yondering and it will make perfect sense.
Short stories are okay, but I had enough by page 121. There were some stories I real liked and I was really enjoying then the story ended. Others that I pushed through and was glad when they ended.

Stories ranged from miners caught in a cave in, battles fought in the mountains and sand to a cruise liner sinking at sea. There were stories of adventure, more of survival and the slowest times in a sailors life: stranded in port.

Stick this book in a desk drawer or glove box and read a story at lunch
An okay anthology, but extremely jarring in the clash the stories have to one another. As well as the fact many really have no resolution. They just seem to end. The book winds up being rather meandering. Some of stories seem to be related to one another in time period and characters, but have little to no connection to one another. It's ultimately a disappointing read for me. This saddens me, as I like this author's work and enjoy reading his books. Even more depressing is that I ended up skim ...more
Laura Verret
A collection of short stories from Louis L’Amour.

The Stories.

Where There’s Fighting. World War II. Four men fighting to impede the progress of the German army in Greece. Only a few bloody hours left to know if any of the four will make it out of their shoddy hole alive…

The Dancing Kate. Dugan didn’t want to follow the boy into the lush tropical vegetation. But the request was so plaintive – “Man die soon. He say please, you come.” That this was only the beginning of an adventure involving a sack
May 07, 2014 John rated it liked it
Louis was more interesting as a person than his fiction, and these stories from the pulp days are based on his global, journeyman blue collar work experience. Decent stuff, nothing exceptional but perfect for a airplane read.
Benjamin Thomas
Louis L'Amour is well known for his westerns but he also wrote quite a few stories about other sorts of adventure. This volume collects some of the stories that he wrote in his early days, covering tales from his adventures in Singapore and in World War II, etc. Many of these stories relate to his own personal experiences with only a few names changed to protect the innocent.

A good collection of stories that prove once again, what an amazing life he led before and during his writing career.
Larry Holshu
Jun 30, 2014 Larry Holshu rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed-books
Another good book but I prefer his westerns. Well written.
Aug 29, 2010 Charles rated it it was amazing
I put this in westerns to go along with my other L'Amour stuff but it's really a collection of short memoir material from L'Amour about his early wandering days, before he settled down to write full time. I thought it was just wonderful. All the pieces here are short but many are very touching and very revalatory. Lots of intersting characters show up. Something good to read for those who think L'Amour can only write genre adventure.
Isabel Hogue
Jan 12, 2014 Isabel Hogue rated it liked it
Bought this and read again in fall of 2013.
Interesting stories and insight into the fascinating life experiences of L'Amour.
Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount)
This collection of short stories reminded me a bit of Clive Cussler's adventure stories.
Mar 05, 2008 Ki rated it really liked it

I don't think much of Lamore's novels, but he tells a wicked short story. If you don't like most of his work, try this collection before completely giving up on him.
Jun 05, 2011 Samuel rated it liked it
I liked a couple of the stories in this book, but didn't care for some of the others. Not sure why, as I never had a problem with his other "non-westerns".
Mar 31, 2015 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
A collection of early short stories with brief commentary from Louis L'Amour about each story and his writing process. Solid. Very effective.
Jan 29, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it
I went through a big L'Amour phase in late high school and college. I read all of Steve's and often bought a new one for the plane ride home.
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 11, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of tales and thoughts of and by Louis L'Amour. Up to his usual high quality. The geography of his locations is accurate.
Jun 05, 2012 Caleb rated it it was ok
Collection of short stories is not my favorite.
Sep 29, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it
some day I'll yonder too. Count on it.
Dec 28, 2009 ReoDon rated it really liked it
Great Book!
Feb 09, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Elisa Rice
Elisa Rice marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Jdlegall rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2016
Thomas P. McGuire
Thomas P. McGuire is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2016
Kate marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
Herretorden marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Gerard Rautenbach
Gerard Rautenbach rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
  • The Killing Season (Trail of  the Gunfighter, #2)
  • Law of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #5)
  • Desert Gold
  • Doc Holliday
  • The Fortunes of Captain Blood
  • Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs (Indiana Jones: Prequels #10)
  • White Fang (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Bandit of Hell's Bend (Western Fiction)
  • The Fast Gun (Floating Outfit, #21)
  • The Wreck Of The Mary Deare
  • The Scheme Programming Language
  • The Tom Clancy Companion (Revised)
  • Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants (Indiana Jones: Prequels #2)
More about Louis L'Amour...