Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers

Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Jeanne Liedtka and Tim Ogilvie educate readers in one of the hottest trends in business: "design thinking," or the ability to turn abstract ideas into practical applications for maximal business growth. Liedtka and Ogilvie cover the mind-set, techniques, and vocabulary of design thinking, unpack the mysterious connection between design and growth, and teach managers in a s...more
Published June 2nd 2011 by Columbia Business School Publishing (first published May 6th 2011)

Aaron U.
My expectations for this book were quite high -- I wanted the promised thinking tool kit for managers in a fun-to-read package as advertised in the book title.

I was a little disappointed. It is a good read, and the authors did a nice job of making the book visually compelling. I was disappointed in the depth of the content though. The authors presented what I felt was a very surface-level explanation of the design process. The primary "tool" was a phased approach to design that separated creativ...more
Nicholas
Awesome book, the authors really break down the steps of Design Thinking and emphasize the importance of starting with human needs (which is what other books miss) A lot of books talk about the value of having a 'Massive Idea' or starting by 'Thinking Big' but this book shows that it's better to start small and find a deep underlying human need to connect with and that you should observe current reality (What is) and focus on meeting genuine human needs. Which means so much.

I can tell the author...more
Synexe
THE MAIN IDEA

This book is a ‘one-stop’ tool kit for managers wanting to utilize design and design-thinking in their work. From visualization strategies all the way through to product launch the book provides a how-to guide and associated frameworks and tools to help managers incorporate design thinking into all stages of their business operations.

INTERESTING TIDBIT

“Designing for Growth” was awarded 2011 Best Business Book for Management by 800-CEO-READ.

WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW

Design thi...more
Fred Zimny
My rating

4,5 on a scale 0-5.

For me it was Roger Martin who outlined the importance of embedding design thinking in my role as operational manager. Up to then, it was not my league to unleash creative innovation and growth from a designers perspective. After reading this book, I also realized that as operational manager or progam/project manager I have been practicing design thinking (as outlined in this book) all along.

The authors outline a new managerial approach and claim to assemble a new too...more
Dennis Deery
This book is a good introduction to applying design thinking principles to business. While it's focused mainly on business growth, I think it can easily be applied to any facet of business.

Design thinking entails a set of skills different than what most business people use on a daily basis. The authors lay out an easy-to-follow set of steps that can be applied to any business problem. The steps walk the users through soliciting ideas from a wide-ranging group of people and using those ideas as...more
Fred Rose
While this book doesn't break any new ground, if you have any experience with design/design thinking, it is a nice book for the non-designer and especially for the corporate manager. It's really written for that audience and covers the spectrum of using design thinking from early visualization through to prototype/pilot design. It of course has its own process (all consultants do) but it makes sense and could be fit into a corporate process fairly easily. Overall a well written book and if you a...more
Sandra
A great introduction to design thinking for managers or anyone a bit uncomfortable or new to the concepts of design thinking. The authors make a solid argument for design thinking vs. business thinking while being honest with its faults.

The authors equip readers with 10 tools for the design process. Throughout, the authors provide real examples to illustrate the process with testimonials and quotes from people. The authors also give handy sample letters, forms, plans and agendas and plenty of t...more
Beth
Jul 07, 2011 Beth marked it as reviews
Shelves: blog-review
Originally published at BethsBookReviews.com

This is certainly a book for business people, as in this was not light reading. Even with lots of sidebars, case studies and illustrations to explain the material this was still a chore to slog through. That said, if you can get through it the information is valuable and relevant to today's marketplace. The authors clearly know their topic and how to best present it to their target audience.
Carla
Great book! I wanted to read more about Design thinking and a more practical, how-to book. This book is aimed at managers, not at designers, so was exactly what I was looking for. I almost read it in one stretch, but will certainly come back to use one of the tools described. Most tools I knew, but this book put them all together. Highly recommended for any manager wanting to integrate design to the business.
Mdoria
A good guide to the business side of the design perspective
Ben Love
I'm searching high and low for great references and there just aren't any. This comes closest so far, but it really fails to capture the emotive and human-centric qualities of Design Thinking methodologies. Perhaps more technical and formulaic than it should be.
Bill Hennessy
Design is going to be bigger than TQM was in the 80s. Companies that miss the design movement will suffer.

This book goes very will with Conscious Capitalism.
Michele
Dec 04, 2013 Michele is currently reading it
I'm reading this book for my online Design thinking class, am learning a lot from the course and forum thread discussions.
George Wang
Oct 03, 2012 George Wang marked it as to-read
Jennifer Janik from REAP recommended this book to me
Jay Liu
Jay Liu marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Mark Kuznicki
Mark Kuznicki is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2014
Julie Tyios
Julie Tyios marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Maaz
Maaz marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Helder
Helder is currently reading it
Mar 22, 2014
Julieth Pineda
Julieth Pineda marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Solving Problems with Design Thinking: Ten Stories of What Works The Catalyst: How You Can Become an Extraordinary Growth Leader (Kindle Edition) The Designing for Growth Field Book: A Step-By-Step Project Guide Solving Problems with Design Thinking (Columbia Business School Publishing) Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Toolkit for Managers