Start by marking “Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers” as Want to Read:
Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers

Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  289 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Jeanne Liedtka and Tim Ogilvie educate readers in one of the hottest trends in business: "design thinking," or the ability to turn abstract ideas into practical applications for maximal business growth. Liedtka and Ogilvie cover the mind-set, techniques, and vocabulary of design thinking, unpack the mysterious connection between design and growth, and teach managers in a s ...more
Published June 2nd 2011 by Columbia Business School Publishing (first published May 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Designing for Growth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing for Growth

Aaron Bolin
My expectations for this book were quite high -- I wanted the promised thinking tool kit for managers in a fun-to-read package as advertised in the book title.

I was a little disappointed. It is a good read, and the authors did a nice job of making the book visually compelling. I was disappointed in the depth of the content though. The authors presented what I felt was a very surface-level explanation of the design process. The primary "tool" was a phased approach to design that separated creativ
Maria
Aug 15, 2016 Maria rated it it was ok
ну наконец-то я тебя закончила, Откровение Капитана Очевидности

мусолила месяц, отлынивала и перепрыгивала через страницы. отметила закладками три места в книге - и это всё, что в принципе стоило бы читать (там были пошаговые инструкции некоторых процессов). всё остальное - вода, констатация общеизвестного, скучные до слёз примеры и рассусоливание. местами казалось, что авторы пишут для умственно отсталых. впрочем, знаю много менеджеров, у которых интеллектуальное развитие на уровне умственно отс
Michele
Jun 02, 2015 Michele rated it it was amazing
I'm reading this book for my online Design thinking class, am learning a lot from the course and forum thread discussions.
Pradyot
Mar 25, 2015 Pradyot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a former management consultant, my dominant thinking is left-brained, linear, and very structured. However, through a 7+ year career post MBA, I found that I was weak when it came to generating creative yet business value generating ideas. I took up Prof. Liedtka's Coursera class on Design Thinking to supplement my arsenal of skills and found the design thinking approach in this book to be a great complement to my existing skill set.

The book is simple to read and understand; plenty of illust
Synexe
Aug 27, 2013 Synexe rated it really liked it
THE MAIN IDEA

This book is a ‘one-stop’ tool kit for managers wanting to utilize design and design-thinking in their work. From visualization strategies all the way through to product launch the book provides a how-to guide and associated frameworks and tools to help managers incorporate design thinking into all stages of their business operations.

INTERESTING TIDBIT

“Designing for Growth” was awarded 2011 Best Business Book for Management by 800-CEO-READ.

WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW

Design thi
Fred Zimny
Jul 07, 2011 Fred Zimny rated it it was amazing
My rating

4,5 on a scale 0-5.

For me it was Roger Martin who outlined the importance of embedding design thinking in my role as operational manager. Up to then, it was not my league to unleash creative innovation and growth from a designers perspective. After reading this book, I also realized that as operational manager or progam/project manager I have been practicing design thinking (as outlined in this book) all along.

The authors outline a new managerial approach and claim to assemble a new too
Liz Giel
May 09, 2016 Liz Giel rated it really liked it
A great book for managers who are interested in applying the principles of design to their organization and fueling innovation. At times the chapters get long and convoluted, especially near the end, but it will serve as a good resource after the fact for anyone who hopes to bring design thinking to their organization. Solid practical advice for those new to the practice.
Dennis Deery
May 12, 2012 Dennis Deery rated it it was amazing
This book is a good introduction to applying design thinking principles to business. While it's focused mainly on business growth, I think it can easily be applied to any facet of business.

Design thinking entails a set of skills different than what most business people use on a daily basis. The authors lay out an easy-to-follow set of steps that can be applied to any business problem. The steps walk the users through soliciting ideas from a wide-ranging group of people and using those ideas as
Nicholas
Jun 14, 2014 Nicholas rated it liked it
Awesome book, the authors really break down the steps of Design Thinking and emphasize the importance of starting with human needs (which is what other books miss) A lot of books talk about the value of having a 'Massive Idea' or starting by 'Thinking Big' but this book shows that it's better to start small and find a deep underlying human need to connect with and that you should observe current reality (What is) and focus on meeting genuine human needs. Which means so much.

I can tell the author
Smaranda
Aug 12, 2015 Smaranda rated it liked it
Interesting if you've never read anything on the topic before. Rather redundant otherwise.
Fred Rose
Sep 19, 2012 Fred Rose rated it really liked it
While this book doesn't break any new ground, if you have any experience with design/design thinking, it is a nice book for the non-designer and especially for the corporate manager. It's really written for that audience and covers the spectrum of using design thinking from early visualization through to prototype/pilot design. It of course has its own process (all consultants do) but it makes sense and could be fit into a corporate process fairly easily. Overall a well written book and if you a ...more
Sandra
Apr 16, 2012 Sandra rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to design thinking for managers or anyone a bit uncomfortable or new to the concepts of design thinking. The authors make a solid argument for design thinking vs. business thinking while being honest with its faults.

The authors equip readers with 10 tools for the design process. Throughout, the authors provide real examples to illustrate the process with testimonials and quotes from people. The authors also give handy sample letters, forms, plans and agendas and plenty of t
Beth
Jul 07, 2011 Beth marked it as reviews
Shelves: blog-review
Originally published at BethsBookReviews.com

This is certainly a book for business people, as in this was not light reading. Even with lots of sidebars, case studies and illustrations to explain the material this was still a chore to slog through. That said, if you can get through it the information is valuable and relevant to today's marketplace. The authors clearly know their topic and how to best present it to their target audience.
Gabriel
Jul 02, 2016 Gabriel rated it liked it
Esperava mais, apesar do livro trazer ferramentas interessantes. Ela trás o design thinking muito como uma sequência de passos. Eu vejo ele mais como um processo iterativo. O curso online da autora foi mais interessante que o livro.
A tradução da HSM para o português decepcionou. Talvez a versão em inglês valesse 4 estrelas.
Carla
Dec 22, 2011 Carla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book! I wanted to read more about Design thinking and a more practical, how-to book. This book is aimed at managers, not at designers, so was exactly what I was looking for. I almost read it in one stretch, but will certainly come back to use one of the tools described. Most tools I knew, but this book put them all together. Highly recommended for any manager wanting to integrate design to the business.
Eduardo
Aug 14, 2016 Eduardo rated it really liked it
I must to admit I was a little skeptical about this reading due to some former readings I found too much hype and not so practical, but, this one was really very entertaining, practical and straight to the point.

So, If youre are manager and practical thinker looking for some clear introduction to the Design Thinking topic this book is for you.
Mdoria
Jan 09, 2014 Mdoria rated it really liked it
A good guide to the business side of the design perspective
Ben Love
Dec 29, 2012 Ben Love rated it liked it
I'm searching high and low for great references and there just aren't any. This comes closest so far, but it really fails to capture the emotive and human-centric qualities of Design Thinking methodologies. Perhaps more technical and formulaic than it should be.
Bill Hennessy
Feb 11, 2013 Bill Hennessy rated it it was amazing
Design is going to be bigger than TQM was in the 80s. Companies that miss the design movement will suffer.

This book goes very will with Conscious Capitalism.
Maria Barberis
A wonderful book on the principles for Design Thinking.
I highly recommend it whether you are new to DT or already acquainted with it!
Erin
Nov 28, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
Very accessible and a great way to trigger ideas.
George Wang
Oct 03, 2012 George Wang marked it as to-read
Jennifer Janik from REAP recommended this book to me
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Urh Sobocan
Urh Sobocan marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Louella Kimberly
Louella Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
David Bone
David Bone marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Ismail Khan
Ismail Khan rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Aniket Upadhyay
Aniket Upadhyay marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Rosliza
Rosliza marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
  • Design Thinking: Integrating Innovation, Customer Experience, and Brand Value
  • This is Service Design Thinking: Basics – Tools – Cases
  • 101 Design Methods: A Structured Approach for Driving Innovation in Your Organization
  • The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage
  • Design Driven Innovation: Changing the Rules of Competition by Radically Innovating What Things Mean
  • Design Thinking for Strategic Innovation: What They Can't Teach You at Business or Design School
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation
  • Make Space: How to Set the Stage for Creative Collaboration
  • Universal Methods of Design: 100 Ways to Research Complex Problems, Develop Innovative Ideas, and Design Effective Solutions
  • Make It So: Interaction Design Lessons From Science Fiction
  • Ten Types of Innovation: The Discipline of Building Breakthroughs
  • Designing Visual Interfaces: Communication Oriented Techniques
  • Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes & Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity
  • What Customers Want: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services
  • A Fine Line: How Design Strategies Are Shaping the Future of Business
  • The Connected Company
  • Hidden in Plain Sight: How to Create Extraordinary Products for Tomorrow's Customers

“Storytelling is the difference between solving a problem and creating a cause. Lists solve a problem: Here's an issue we face, let's create a pro and con list about how to solve it and then pick the best option. A cause is something that ignites people and unites people. That is what a good story does: It creates a cause.” 1 likes
“Observing, it turns out, does more than activate our visual perceptions; observed actions are mapped onto our motor systems. So if you are watching someone hitting a baseball, you're actually practicing your swing in your head. You are working all the neurological connections that you need to actually stand up and swing the bat. And so seeing can be a powerful enabler of doing (as well as a powerful enabler of empathy).” 1 likes