Start by marking “The Purple Coat” as Want to Read:
The Purple Coat

The Purple Coat

Every year, in the fall, Gabrielle gets a new coat. And every year her coat looks the same -- navy blue with two rows of buttons and a half belt in the back. But this year Gabrielle wants something different -- a purple coat.
"Purple?" Mama laughs. But Gabrielle is quite serious.
Alone with Grampa in his cozy tailor shop, Gabrielle does some fast talking. Still, even Gramp
Published September 30th 1992 by Aladdin (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Purple Coat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Purple Coat

Rosa Cline
Feb 14, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, reading-rainbow
What an adorable story about a little girl 'reminding' her mother in a sweet way of when she was a little girl and wanted something really bad. The little girl knows it is that time of year when she goes to her grandpa (who is a tailor) to get her yearly coat made. She always gets a navy coat but this year she wants something else... but her mother says that "you always get..." After she spends time with her Grandpa telling him what she would like he asks about what her mother thought... then he ...more
Julie Barrett
May 11, 2012 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing
The Purple Coat by Amy Hest
ISBN-10: 0689716346
Gabrielle travels to the city to visit with her grandfather while her mom works. He is a tailor and makes her coats every year, a blue one always.
They have lunch and get exactly what they always have. They try to pursuade her to just try something different.
She tells him she wants a purple coat rather than a blue one, to just try something new and different.
It reminds the grandfather of an orange dress the mom wanted with ruffles. He has a fantastic
Connie
Jul 08, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it
Gabi always gets a navy blue coat for winter, and her grandfather makes it. But this year she wants a purple coat, and her mother is shocked - it's so different from what she usually gets!

With the Power of Childhood Stories (somebody once wanted a tangerine dress...) her mother is convinced, and Gabi gets her coat.

It's a good story, well-written and well-illustrated. A little long for the subject, but it works. I'm just not overly drawn to it.
Jammy
Nov 04, 2013 Jammy rated it liked it
I really, really love this book. I had a teacher read this to me when I was in kindergarten, which was longer ago than I would like; yet I still remembered this book years later. Now I own a bookshop of my own and I always keep a few copies in stock. It's a really sweet and timeless story about a girl's relationship with her grandfather, and her early steps into learning to be her own person. Sweet, simple and fun! Appropriate for either gender.
Joy
Feb 02, 2015 Joy rated it it was amazing
Gabrielle's grandpa is a tailor and it's time for Gabby to visit him so she can get her yearly navy blue coat. This year is different because Gabby wants a purple coat. Her grandpa teaches her that "once in a while, it's good to try something new" but will her mother be happy with what Gabby and her Grandpa come up with?

For more books with a quilting/sewing theme see:http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com/2015/...
Matthew
Apr 08, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main character, Gabrielle, spends the day with her grandfather, a tailor who makes her winter coat each year. The thing is, she wants a different color coat this year and that news is not received well by her mother. It takes the wisdom of her grandfather to convince her mother to compromise and for Gabrielle to get the coat she wants.
Brittany
Nov 05, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is about a little girl who goes to visit her grandpa who is a tailor. Every year he makes her a blue coat but this year she decides she wants a purple coat.

It’s a very cute book that could have applications in learning to try new things and having change. It could also be great to look at the illustrations and importance of color.
RLL52014Jamie Cotell
Oct 19, 2014 RLL52014Jamie Cotell rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful read aloud book for primary students! This book is perfect for all mothers and daughters who cannot agree. It is about a girl who is trying to establish her identity and wants a purple coat instead of a blue one. Read to find out what happens!
Kristen
Second grade +.

"Despite her mother's reminder that 'navy blue is what you always get,' Gabby begs her tailor grandfather to make her a beautiful purple fall coat."

A wonderful story about trying new things. Fantastic pictures.
Heidi-Marie
I loved this one! So simple and sweet, but really, really cute, too. Julie recommended this one for my grandparent-theme Book Time, and I think it will be perfect. Let's just hope I have older kids in the group, as the story is a bit long for the pre-school age.
Alex Bemis
Sep 28, 2014 Alex Bemis rated it liked it
I read this book to my 4th and 5th graders at work and they loved it. I think this would be a great book to use in a readers workshop. There are many different minilessons you could create out of this book
Amber
Jun 25, 2008 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
Very Sweet Story. Gabby begs her tailor grandfather to make her a beautiful purple coat. THe Illustrations and rendered in pencil and watercolor. Very colorful & bright.

The Brothers
Feb 20, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
A little girl going to have her yearly coat made by her grandfather tries to get away from what she's always done and try something new.

Illustrations are nice.
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Mer
Mer rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2007
L P
L P rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
May 22, 2012
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2007
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2015
Elisabeth Ellington
Elisabeth Ellington rated it it was ok
May 20, 2015
Michele
Michele rated it liked it
May 28, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Sandra Nagy
Sandra Nagy rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2011
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Betsy
Nov 16, 2013 Betsy rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the imagery in this story, but it was a bit drawn out for our tastes.
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Terrie Rust
Terrie Rust rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2009
Carrie
Carrie rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Grace
Grace rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Amy Hest is a three-time winner of the Christopher Medal and winner of the BOSTON GLOBE-HORN BOOK Award. She lives in New York City.
More about Amy Hest...