Start by marking “Dangerous Deceit” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Deceit

Dangerous Deceit

Lydia Hetherington is uninterested in society balls or marriage, until her brother's friend, Lord Marcus Sheldon, rides into her life to unseat her from her horse and unsettle her heart. An undercover spy for the government, Sheldon is equally unsettled by Lydia.

Complicated by a French spy, her best friend's unrequited love for Lydia's brother, James, and a traitorous vil
Kindle Edition
Published (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Deceit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Deceit

Kathleen Jones
Mar 30, 2012 Kathleen Jones rated it liked it
Lydia is a feisty Regency heroine. She reads Mary Wollstonecraft and evades all attempts by her parents to marry her off. She prefers her horse to the wealthy, elderly, Lord Merton who presses his suit (no – he doesn’t do his own ironing! – in Regency parlance, he’s trying to seduce her) regardless of Lydia’s aversion to him, and she is bored enough to relish an escapade or two.

When she’s rudely unseated from her horse by the enigmatic Lord Sheldon’s Phaeton, her life suddenly becomes much more
Janice Horton
Jun 18, 2011 Janice Horton rated it it was amazing
Regency is not my usual genre - but romance is - and Dangerous Deceit, which came highly recommended, was for me a fabulous introduction to Regency Romance. The heroine of the story, Lydia, is strong-minded, a little naive and foolhardy at times, and uninterested in society balls or marriage. Until, of course, she meets the handsome not-what-he first seems Lord Marcus Sheldon. This novel is as proper and well-mannered as Lydia is expected to be - there are no sex scenes - but it transports you ...more
Susan Jones
Feb 04, 2012 Susan Jones rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful, gentle and absorbing read. I love the detail in the speech, dress and historical period of Romy Gemmell's Dangerous Deceit. Lydia and Elizabeth share in each other's quest to capture the heart of their men.

Set in the time of Napoleon's battle with the Duke of Wellington, and ending up in Brighton, where the Prince Regent is in the Pavillion there.

Excitement builds as Lydia goes undercover dressed as a male cousin of Elizabeth. Spies and undercover government agents are wov
Veronica Hart
Dec 08, 2011 Veronica Hart rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book though I don't usually read romances. This book took me away to another time and place where I became part of the scenery and the action, watching and listening as the story unfolded. I particularly enjoyed the sense of setting, the details with which the place and the characters were described, right down to the language. The bit of espionage/mystery elements lent more depth to this story than I recall romances, regencies or otherwise, having. Highly ...more
Melanie Robertson-King
Jun 08, 2011 Melanie Robertson-King rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I'd read other historical novels but never realized there was a name for this period until I got involved with Romance Writers of America and the local Ottawa chapter.

I think I'd be very much like Lydia... not what one would call a proper 'lady' of her time.

Romy's writing drew me in and her characterizations and descriptions were so lifelike, I felt transported back to that time.
Chris Longmuir
Jun 04, 2011 Chris Longmuir rated it it was amazing
I hadn't read a Regency novel since my love affair with Georgette Heyer's books many years ago, so wasn't sure whether I would enjoy this after my normal diet of hard-hitting crime. I needn't have worried. All my love of Regency novels was rekindled by this superb romance. It had everything - headstrong heroine, mysterious hero, despicable villain, spies, intrigue, romance, I could go on and on. Suffice it to say this was a really satisfying read, and I would recommend it.
Jude Johnson
Oct 20, 2011 Jude Johnson rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this foray into the Regency era. Lydia Hetherington is an independent thinker, a rarity for her time and she is well-aware of how that can get her into trouble. Loved the espionage angle to this story too! Highly recommended for those who not only enjoy Jane Austen but the Sharpe series as well.
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Linda Kage
Linda Kage rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2011
Lorna Mclaren
Lorna Mclaren rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2013
Frances Evesham
Frances Evesham rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Julie Eberhart Painter
Julie Eberhart Painter rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Missy
Missy rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Miranda Stowe
Miranda Stowe rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2011
Romy (Rosemary) Gemmell
Jun 03, 2011 Romy (Rosemary) Gemmell added it  ·  (Review from the author)
L.
L. marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2013
Stavroula Kyriakidou
Stavroula Kyriakidou is currently reading it
May 30, 2013
Cindy
Cindy added it
Feb 24, 2014
Patty McKenna Van Hulle
Patty McKenna Van Hulle marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
GeraniumCat
GeraniumCat marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Sneezep
Sneezep marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
R
R marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Romy Gemmell’s short stories, articles and poems have been published in UK magazines, in the US, and online (as full name, Rosemary). She is now a published historical and contemporary novelist for adults and Middle Grade age group (as Ros). She likes to tackle a variety of writing genres and styles!

She is a member of the Society of Authors, the Romantic Novelists’ Association, and the Scottish As
More about Romy Gemmell...