Start by marking “A History of Florence 1200-1575” as Want to Read:
A History of Florence 1200-1575

A History of Florence 1200-1575

In this history of Florence, distinguished historian John Najemy discusses all the major developments in Florentine history from 1200 to 1575.
Captures Florence's transformation from a medieval commune into an aristocratic republic, territorial state, and monarchy Weaves together intellectual, cultural, social, economic, religious, and political developments Academically ri
Published November 3rd 2006 by Blackwell Publishers

To ask other readers questions about A History of Florence 1200-1575, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of Florence 1200-1575

Andrew
Aug 13, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it
Najemy's history covers the history of Florence as a republic; that is, until the Medici got outside forces to establish them as dukes in the city. The books details the remarkably complex forces at work: the mix of social classes, the baffling array of political institutions, the increasing influence of outside political actors.

Strengths: Najemy builds ideas on top of one another--for instance, taking side chapters to consider social history or art patronage--so that, by the end, I felt I had
Marios Antoniou
Apr 24, 2016 Marios Antoniou rated it liked it
Shelves: stopped
I am conflicted about this book Najemy is clearly an expert on Florentine history, but i feel the book is too 'listy' and mentions a huge amount of statistics and a multitude of names. This is a bonus in some aspects: it is credible, and fully-evidenced but on the downside I feel that I hardly remember the basic points about major historical figures such as Cosimo de Medici. It put me to sleep, I am afraid to say and I skipped parts of it. The reason I gave it 3/5 is its accuracy and the fact ...more
Gregg Koskela
Jan 21, 2014 Gregg Koskela rated it it was ok
After visiting Florence, I was looking for a book that would give the history of the renaissance in that city, with an emphasis on the arts. This, instead, is more of a meticulously documented political history of the city. It is meticulous and detailed. And it gives a lot of detail meticulously. I skimmed the last half.
Joseph Scipione
Apr 15, 2013 Joseph Scipione rated it liked it
Lots of information packed in this book as with most general history books. I did not read all of this just the 150 pages I needed for research. I would probably only read the rest if I was ever going to visit Florence. That being said it is well written and easy to follow. A good book for anyone interested in the subject.
Shane
This was an interesting study in a period of Florence's history. It was well written and researched. There were some dull bits, but that was more to do with the subject matter than the writing. Overall, interesting and worth a read if you have any interest in Italy as a whole or the city in particular.
Nancy Bielski
Nov 18, 2012 Nancy Bielski rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This was dry and a little slow. Very densely packed with information, especially on the economics side of things, which really isn't what I'm interested in.
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2007
Marie D'amico
Marie D'amico rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2014
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2011
Nebojša
Nebojša rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2013
Gabriel Purghel
Gabriel Purghel rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Guy
Guy rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2012
AskHistorians
The best, most recent survey of Florence during the Middle Ages written in English.
Jo Walton
Jo Walton rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2014
Livesonabike
Livesonabike rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Carl
Carl rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2015
John Springer
John Springer rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Jpsullivan
Jpsullivan rated it liked it
May 19, 2013
Nick
Nick rated it liked it
May 19, 2014
David Wintermeyer
David Wintermeyer rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Jessica I
Jessica I rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2014
Elizabeth Bradley
Elizabeth Bradley rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2008
Kolby Kuwitzky
Kolby Kuwitzky rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Silvana Consalvo
Silvana Consalvo rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Ada Palmer
Ada Palmer rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2014
Breana McCracken
Breana McCracken rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Lula Leus
Apr 29, 2014 Lula Leus rated it really liked it
The text a little boring and dry. But despite it, it was very informative.
Dimitar
Dimitar rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
R.Q. Woodward
R.Q. Woodward rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2014
Courtney Misich
Courtney Misich rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2015