Start by marking “JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual” as Want to Read:
JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual

JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  16 reviews
JavaScript lets you supercharge your HTML with animation, interactivity, and visual effects—but many web designers find the language hard to learn. This jargon-free guide covers JavaScript basics and shows you how to save time and effort with the jQuery library of prewritten JavaScript code. You’ll soon be building web pages that feel and act like desktop programs, without ...more
Published October 28th 2011 by Pogue Press (first published July 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about JavaScript & jQuery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about JavaScript & jQuery

Wilson
Not bad, but very much oriented toward beginners with no programming experience at all.

I would really like to be able to find a Javascript/jQuery book aimed at experienced programmers who are just getting started in web programming (the js/jq equivalent to Mark Pilgrim's excellent Dive Into Python, or Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional by Magnus Lie Hetland.

The closest I've found is JavaScript: The Definitive Guide: The Definitive Guide, but it doesn't cover jQuery, and neither, in my
Stephen
One of the best books on learning jQuery. Highly recommended. Also includes an excellent primer on Javascript. Exactly what the novice and advanced javascript developer needs to develop jQuery applications. I had an app up and running within a couple of days of reading this material.
Cliff Hays
Coming from server-side and database programming, Javascript always seemed very confusing and non-intuitive to me. I cannot count the number of times I ended up just copying and pasting after googling. But this approach is pretty inefficient in the long run, since if you have no idea what the code is doing it is very difficult (if not impossible) to modify it to suit your specific needs. Enter "Javascript & jQuery: The Missing Manual". In less than two days I have been able to learn to creat ...more
Kris Jou
I've read a few jQuery books and documentation, and found this to be its best jumping-on point, at least for jQuery (it skimps on JavaScript, since jQuery replaces it for many standard web applications, but keep that in mind). In fact, I'm on my second-read and am finding it even better than the first. Accessible without compromising its complexity, this book provides detailed explanation and concise tutorial for performing basic and few advanced jQuery applications. I liked this a lot more than ...more
Maevrim
This book was a life-saver when I started web development. At the time, I had very little programming experience and the coding help I received from co-workers was well-intentioned but full of assumptions and jargon. This "missing manual" filled in the gaps from knowledge my mentors took for granted.
Leah
This book is ok, however I am almost on page 200 and still have yet to figure out how to implement this into my code. It's explanations are alright but still somewhat disorganized. EVERY time i complete one of the tutorials there is a new line of code they don't explain. They then tell you there will be an additional explanation of this portion of code after another 100 pages or so. completely frustrating. If I had any prior knowledge of JavaScript I'm sure it would make more sense.
Decklyn
a one time read cursory overview of client side technology. it succeeds in its goal of introducing not only jquery but CSS and Dom manipulation in general. if you are in the position where you want to learn these technologies with little front end background this will be a fine choice but if you are looking for a jquery in depth reference you'll probably want something else. not a bad read for a server side guy but I won't revisit it after getting a handle on the basics of front end with this bo ...more
Kraig
Not to shabby. The focus of this one is definitely more on the jQuery side of things. This can be both good and bad. It's great given that jQuery can do most everything you could ever need but it's not so great if you really want to learn javascript to do the few things that jQuery does not. Combine this book with a good javascript book and you got it made.
Denis
Providing an entry-level introduction to JavaScript and JQuery, author managed to explain things easily but without oversimplification. It is not very typical for a tutorial book to be both thorough and well-written, but this one is a wonderful exception. I can recommend it to anyone who wants to become familiar with contemporary approaches to building Web sites.
Third Eye
Excellent book for beginners with little programming experience. Since I am an experienced programmer who is dabbling in web scripting, the book was a bit too light for me. However the examples cover most of the popular usecases such as form validation, tooltips, image rollovers and ajax. I definitely learned a lot about jQuery, CSS and HTML.
Johnwark
Very good introductory combined Javascript and jQuery book. Great for beginning Javascript programmers. We are using it as a textbook in a coding bootcamp program and the students are finding the book very usable and understandable. Good coding tutorials.
Rahmanda
This is my first javascript book and it's really good. All parts of the material is explained very clear and structured. However some parts is a bit out to date. If you're a beginner on javascript this book is helpful enough to company you on your learning.
Andrew Klem
It was okay. That really sums it up. I'd say I'll remember about 20% of this unless I continue to study JavaScript & JQuery (which I will). Not particularly exciting. Just a meh instructional manual, but I did learn quite a bit.
Mellodi Parks
It's a good starter book but if you want to learn more don't use this as your only resource. :)
Jon Steege
probably the best and most comprehensive jquery book i have read
Shawn
Great Intro to Javascript & Jquery for non-programmers.
Xmap
Xmap added it
Dec 11, 2014
Troy McCraw
Troy McCraw marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Afreen Habib
Afreen Habib marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Ashley Mooney
Ashley Mooney marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Jason Toups
Jason Toups marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
  • Head First SQL: Your Brain on SQL -- A Learner's Guide
  • HTML5 For Web Designers
  • HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
CSS: The Missing Manual CSS3: The Missing Manual JavaScript: The Missing Manual: The Missing Manual Dreamweaver CS3: The Missing Manual: The Missing Manual Dreamweaver CS5: The Missing Manual