Start by marking “Running Free - Breaking Out From Locked-In Syndrome” as Want to Read:
Running Free - Breaking Out From Locked-In Syndrome

Running Free - Breaking Out From Locked-In Syndrome

Published July 1st 2011 by Accent Press Ltd (first published April 14th 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about Running Free - Breaking Out From Locked-In Syndrome

Amanda
Jul 16, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it
This was an inspiring book. I can't even imagine what Kate and her family went through during her experience, and even now as life is still so different for them compared to what it had been before her stroke and becoming locked-in. Kate is one of those people who never stops, and she worked very hard not only to walk again, but to become as independent as possible, returning to as much of her pre-stroke life as possible, with as little medical intervention needed. However, as a Christian, one ...more
Barbara
Jul 02, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
Interesting read for those that have Locked-In Syndrome from a stroke. For me it showed and proved that even if the body is not able to move - it doesn't mean the mind has stopped working.
It was also motivational. It shows the power of the mind and spirit and being stubborn helps!
It was a good book and I would recommended it to anyone that is interested in learning about this syndrome.
Erin
Jun 07, 2015 Erin rated it liked it
Almost a 4. Didn't know much about locked in syndrome. How horrible to know what is going on but, no one knows you understand. Amazing recovery story.
Jamie
Jul 24, 2013 Jamie rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This book is a true-life story about writter Kate Allat and her life altering experience with LIS.
Kate was a young mother of 3, a wife, a runner, and an adventurer. Always one to push herself to be the very best that she could - she certainly was in for the ride of her life on February 6th 2010.
Kate suffers a massive stroke of the brainstem, and is basically thought to be in a vegetative state. However - she is not a complete vegetable, she is actually suffering from Locked In Syndrome. With h
Deborah
Mar 27, 2014 Deborah rated it really liked it
Can you imagine being trapped in your own body? Able to see and hear everything going on around you but unable to move or speak - the blink of an eye your only way to communicate. Super-fit young mother-of-three Kate Allatt's life was torn apart when she became locked in her own body after suffering a massive stroke caused by a blood clot to her brainstem. Left totally paralysed and unable to speak, her chances of survival were 50/50 and doctors said she would never walk or talk again. She ...more
Trish
Feb 18, 2013 Trish rated it really liked it
Non-Fiction; Biography
4+ stars

Imagine going from your fast-paced, busy life to only being able to control the blinking of your eyes in a matter of minutes. This is exactly what happened to Kate Allatt when she suffered from a massive stroke in her brain stem.

At almost 40, Kate was an active Mom to three young kids. Like most Moms, her life was demanding with schedules to coordinate, a family to manage and a home to run. In a split second, that life was taken from her without warning and she was
Kim Berry
Jun 22, 2013 Kim Berry rated it really liked it
This was an incredible journey for an amazing woman that was full of determination and not taking 'no' for an answer. I cannot even begin to imagine how you go from a busy life with your family and friends to sustaining a massive stroke to which you could only communicate through your eyes for several long months. It takes a special bond with your family, friends and caretakers, even though it appeared to be very rough and frustrating, she did it...she was able to show the world that she would ...more
Kirsten Weaver
Dec 04, 2014 Kirsten Weaver rated it liked it
I think hearing the story from this perspective was really interesting. Her struggles were obviously severe, and while I understood that, I still felt she was a bit pretentious and a bit annoying. She seemed to come for a very privileged "party" lifestyle that doesn't really sit well with me...but to each their own. I thought she repeated herself a lot and could have condensed down her story. I was glad she finally expressed appreciation for her husband because throughout the book I thought she ...more
Kristi Hyde
Jan 10, 2014 Kristi Hyde rated it liked it
Amazing inspirational true story about the will to survive and regain your life. Her story was intriguing, a new topic I had not heard of and am so glad I now know about. I would have given it more stars had her writing style been cleaner and more engaging, if I was English and understood all the media references & certain English phrases. Definitely a book you should read!
Michelle Albert
Mar 08, 2014 Michelle Albert rated it really liked it
I LOVED this book! It was such an inspirational story of a 39 year old woman who had a stroke and was literally trapped inside her own body. Her story of determination, positive thinking and just sheer will was amazing. I encourage anyone who is feeling they can't overcome any obstacle to read this book!
Rob Perschau
This book is no literary masterpiece, but it's certainly a straightforward first-person account from a person who was "locked in" after a brain stem stroke at a young age. It will be one of the books I remember if I am ever faced with a similar challenge.
Jessica Peterson
Jun 20, 2013 Jessica Peterson rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! What an honest, inspirational story! If I could write fictional characters as well as all the character came out in this book, I would be one happy woman. Such a good read, full of emotion, I would highly recommend this to anyone!
Michelle
Jun 08, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
Mind over matter is the lesson of day. A story of true courage, strength and stubborn refusal to give up under even the most horrific circumstances. Kate's story should be read by anyone facing any type of adversity.
Diana Shaffner
Oct 17, 2013 Diana Shaffner rated it it was ok
Shelves: life-story
This book is a remarkable account of a young woman suffering a near fatal stroke and awakening three days later from a coma "locked-in". In this book she describes her experience of the condition and an unbelievable recovery against all odds.
Trina Hollis
Sep 01, 2014 Trina Hollis rated it really liked it
Not an easy read but very inspirational. Kate is the mother of three runs her own business and is super fit then she suffers a devastating stroke and is completely paralysed only able to blink,this is the story of her brave fight back to health.
Sue
Feb 07, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it
A healthy and fit mom suffers a debilitating stroke in her 30s. What is scary is the fact that she is mentally aware but paralyzed and it takes weeks for people to realize she is alive mentally. The story of her struggle to beat all odds and walk and talk again.
Carrie Allen
Apr 10, 2015 Carrie Allen rated it it was amazing
What a story! It isn't the most well written book, but ignore the grammar erros and typos-the story is amazing and inspiring.
Teri
Jun 10, 2013 Teri rated it liked it
Very powerful story of a brave woman. Amazing to hear her hardships and successes. The story was a bit long though.
Cathie
Oct 13, 2014 Cathie rated it it was amazing
inspirational and tear inducing at times, its hard to think what it would be like locked in, but Kate gives you a very good idea. truly inspirational and full of hope.
Debbie
Jan 31, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
Fantastic emotive book, I could feel the pain and distress in Kate's stroke. I would recommend this as a true story read of fight determination and a power to survive
Marsha Graham
Marsha Graham rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2013
Christina Hadley
Christina Hadley rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Ruth Hubbs
Ruth Hubbs rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Mrs A Williamson
Mrs A Williamson rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015
Kari Notch
Kari Notch rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2013
hilary griffin
hilary griffin rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Nov 01, 2014
Malini
Malini rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2014
  • Wide Awake and Dreaming: A Memoir
  • Unspoken Abandonment: Sometimes the hardest part of going to war is coming home
  • Bronze
  • The Long Escape
  • High Times & Rough Rides of a Bipolar Addict
  • Run Away: One Woman's Story of Resilience
  • The Girls Come Marching Home: Stories of Women Warriors Returning from the War in Iraq
  • "It's Cancer"
  • The Accidental Caregiver: How I Met, Loved, and Lost Legendary Holocaust Refugee Maria Altmann
  • The Woman Who Lost Her Face: How Charla Nash Survived the World's Most Infamous Chimpanzee Attack
  • Remembering Judith
  • My Emily
  • Inferno: An Inquiry Into the Willingham Fire
  • My name is.............Jane
  • Crystal Clean: A Mother's Struggle with Meth Addiction and Recovery
  • Humphrey Was Here: A Dog Owner's Story of Love, Loss, and Letting Go
  • Name and Number
  • Swimming with Maya: A Mother's Story

“The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.” 2 likes