Start by marking “Quarta-feira de Cinzas” as Want to Read:
Quarta-feira de Cinzas

Quarta-feira de Cinzas

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  1,788 ratings  ·  165 reviews
James Heartsock é um soldado que deixou o exército para embarcar na maior aventura da sua vida. Christy, a sua namorada, está grávida e determinada a ir para casa no Texas , com ou sem Jimmy, para encarar o seu passado e preparar-se para o futuro. Atravessando a América desde Nova Iorque a Nova Orleans, passando por Ohio até ao Texas, num velho Chevy Nova, os dois jovens p ...more
Published June 2003 by Difel (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Quarta-feira de Cinzas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quarta-feira de Cinzas

K.D. Absolutely
Tell me, how many Hollywood actors can write novels? Especially ones who are still active in movies? Especially if there is no co-writer beside his/her name?

Ethan Hawke (born 1970) has written two decent novels: The Hottest State (1996) and this book, Ash Wednesday (2002). When these books came out, I was not yet into heavy reading so these did not interest me. But a couple of years back, a member in our Filipinos group here in Goodreads favorably commented on these books so when I saw them in m
Daniel Clausen
How can characters who are so multi-layered and so well-developed somehow be problematic?

The problem is that the two characters at the center of this book -- the fledgling couple Jimmy and Christy -- are flaky (or eccentric if you prefer a term with a positive connotation). The problem is that eccentric people are always interesting -- but for arbitrary reasons. They are quitting jobs, doing drugs, getting married, quitting drugs, finding God, cleaning up their bad habits, starting up new bad h
Hannah Eiseman-Renyard
Aug 31, 2009 Hannah Eiseman-Renyard rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: College dreamers, coffee shop posers, the feckless
’Will-They-Won’t-They?’ On the Road

Those au fait with Ethan Hawke’s ‘philosopher groovy syndrome’ breed of intelligent, dreamy slackers in movie roles such as Reality Bites, Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, will find more than a hint of them repeated in this sophomoric tale. The only problem is that, though all those characters are likeable guys with interesting ideas, they might not be the tautest of storytellers.

Army fuckup Jimmy Heartsock finds himself going AWOL to propose to/win back his
Mircalla64 (free Liu Xiaobo)
mercoledì delle banalità e dei fessi che non crescono mai

Jimmy è un coglione della specie peggiore: quello che cerca la mamma

Christy Ann è la mamma, nel senso che cerca un coglione da adottare

la frittata è fatta e lei è incinta di un fesso che più che marito vorrebbe essergli figlio

la storia va avanti e indietro per un po', quindi non va da nessuna parte e il lettore, che presumibilmente ha superato i 15 anni, si annoia e gli viene voglia di prenderli a sberle, tutti e due...

poi gli viene in me
Valerie K
It was ok, not bad, and that is what 2 stars is supposed to mean. It was a fairly absorbing read, but the characters were so prone to constant yet shifting self-analysis, always on the brink of disaster or in mid-crisis state, it was like a hyped up version of some fifties melodrama where everyone is having epiphonies every ten seconds, then something happens and they have a new epiphony. It was too much. Still... there was something interesting about the way the two characters thought about the ...more
Catherine
In the name of honesty I will tell you that I was skeptical going in... because he's Ethan Hawke, a guy who probably wanted to add "novelist" to his already long and gorgeous resume.

More honesty: Two chapters in I realized that I needed to carry a notebook because I had to pull over constantly to rewind the audio (do we still call it rewinding?) and write down my favorite passages. There were so so many.

"To love each other and live in the truth. To not lie at all. To maintain a perspective on t
Karen
Again I received this book as a birthday present. It's on par with the first book. At it's heart it is a simple tale, but told in such a way that it keeps your interest. The only reason I gave it 3 stars instead of 4 is because there's a part where he descibes a character as wearing a blue and gold Michigan State sweatshirt. As someone who went to Michigan State I took offence - our colors are green & white - University of Michigan (our main rival) are blue & gold. This mistake is unforg ...more
I wanted the book for a while without knowing much about it, other than Ethan Hawke was the author. My then-boyfriend bought it for me. I was unable to like or even mildly stand any of the characters. The part that most bothered me is early on in the book, when the protagonist's future girlfriend lifts up her skirt and shows him "her pussy" because he said "I'm not afraid of you." I couldn't help but feel this was unrealistic (not to mention irritatingly stupid).
Sun
A riveting read that's fresh and vital and funny. Jimmy Heartsock is a young soldier who breaks up with girlfriend Christy Walker only to propose marriage to her eight days later. The story alternates between the narratives of ambivalent and haunted Christy and the rambunctious but earnest Jimmy. The two drive across America via New Orleans and the craziness of Mardi Gras stopping for an express wedding and some pregnancy woes.

I have no idea whether the story is autobiographical or not (and I do
Doroti
Явно съм я чела и предполагам, че съм я харесала, но нищичко не помня...
Paul
Disclaimer: I read this book as a fan of the movie, Before Sunset. Ash Wednesday, in so many ways, comes off as a rough draft of Ethan Hawke's contribution to that movie. Maybe it's unfair to compare the two, but I did and I do.

Like the movie, it deals with two confused characters who can't seem to get their lives to sync up with their shaky ideas of what it means to grow up, love someone else, and live meaningful lives. I'm the kind of person who enjoys the pseudo-headache of a winding "what do
Samantha
I thought I wouldn't like it, but I did. It was a quick and interesting read. The second half was better than the first.

Some of my favourite moments:

1. The basketball challenge between Jimmy and the 12-year-old, who cries when he loses his brother's money.

2. This exchange:

Steve sat down next to me. "Responsibility," he hissed. "Screw a woman over thirty-five and she'll give you the ride of her life - makes an eighteen-year-old look like a blow-up doll. I'm not talking about sex, I'm talking abo
Maria João Fernandes
"Só pelo simples facto de algo ser o nosso destino não significa que seja bom."

Este foi um mês longo, preenchido com tudo, menos com leituras, infelizmente. Porém, aos pouquinhos ainda consegui ler mais um livro neste ano de 2014 que acaba amanhã. A leitura foi demasiado longa, mas a minha critica será breve.

"É um hábito. Se não tiveres cuidado, 98% da tua vida acaba por se tornar um hábito."

Jimmy e Christy são um casal de namorados como muitos outros, ora estão perdidamente apaixonados, ora ach
Roberta
Libro messo in wishlist praticamente solo perché scritto da Ethan Hawke, l'attore, senza sapere nulla della trama. E' la storia di Jimmy e Christy, delle loro esistenze problematiche e del loro tentativo di condividere la vita e formare una famiglia.

Diana
Guy that has to face to decision to grow up once his girl gets knocked up. It's been done, of course, but I still found it a good read. Think of Hornby's torn relationships and adult confusion/angst save the funnies and peculiar obsessions. Female POV included.

Snarky's
I might be the only person who preferred The Hottest State to this book. I didn't care too much about these deadbeat characters and their bad choices.
Melody
One of those 'got it for 15 cents at a library sale' books, and pretty good for a book I knew nothing about before I picked it up. It's basically just a survey of the two main characters inner thoughts and experiences - which can be a little self-indulgent at times, but mostly I liked the characters and cared about what happened to them, so it was nice to read. Also, I like this quote (and thus the character who works to get to this point by the end of the book): (view spoiler) ...more
Romany
I got this for 50 cents at an Opportunity Shop. Boy meets girl, some trials and tribulations ensue, will there be a happy ending? Not terrible. Worth the 50 cents for sure. Better than a lot of stuff out there.
Michael Obiora
As an actor and writer myself, I was interested to see which other actors have written works of fiction in the past. This is the second offering I've read from Ethan Hawke (the first was The Hottest State).
The best thing about both books is the use of dialogue. If this book's author had used a pseudonym I still would have known that it was written by an actor, or at the very least somebody who has worked in the film industry. As actors we tend to have an ear for dialogue, and Hawke's experience
T.E. Shepherd
This is a fantastic, thoughtful, and insightful read about some not so likeable characters. That is not to say that it is impossible to like Jimmy, Chrissy, or their love story of a road trip as they cross America - just that you can see all to well how easy it would be for either of them to find reasons to dislike the other. In that I guess its all too much life. Which is why, although I wouldn't want to be Jimmy, its also a really good read.

This is Ethan Hawke's second novel. More commonly kno
CC
Bear with me as I try and sort this one out. As a novelist, Hawke has taken a huge step forward. What was almost too-spare prose in his first novel, The Hottest State, has been amped up to the max in Ash Wednesday. It's almost like he's a completely different writer.

Themes of renewal and second chances are woven thoughout with success, and the dual narrative of Jimmy and Christy suggests skill -- unlike a lot of multiple POV narratives, each character had their own way of speaking, thinking, an
Ian Mapp
I own a signed copy of this book. I think that I got it when I subscribed to Esquire magazine many years ago, and it has sat on my shelf for a long time.

No reason for this, just that I get tied up in Library books.

You shouldnt necessarily think that because someone is famous in another discipline they cannot make good authors - just look at Nick Cave. This is a very assured book, that is well structured and is about real people in real situations.

It tells of the relationship between Jimmy Heart
Wendy
At 29, Jimmy Heartsock doesn't think too much of himself. He longs to be someone he can admire. He had joined the Army on a whim after his father's suicide and hates it. But he didn't know what else to do at the time, looking for some order in his life. Christy, his 26-year-old girlfriend, is pregnant with his child. All she wants is to get to her hometown of Houston, a home she left behind 10 years ago. Together they embark on a rocky journey of self-discovery, an emotional road-trip from Alban ...more
Susana Pereira
Só peguei neste livro (via bookcrossing) porque não sabia que o Ethan Hawke actor também era escritor e fiquei com curiosidade sobre se teria talento nesta outra arte.
Claro que, se fosse só um bocadinho mais cinéfila do que sou, já saberia que ele tinha sido co-autor do argumento do filme "Before Sunset", que também protagonizou, e que foi momeado para o Óscar de "Melhor argumento adaptado".
Além disso este já é o segundo livro que publica mas poderia ficar a dúvida sobre se o sucesso editorial s
Dolors
An educational reading indeed, either spiritually or rationally speaking.
The novel talks about the life of a young man, Frederic, during the French Revolution and the founding of the French Empire in 1848. It is said that Frederic is in fact Flaubert himself telling about some real events in his life and of course about his platonic love for an older woman, in the book, called Mme Arnoux.
We are able to follow, with a somehow ironic and pessimistic tone, a different set of characters who live th
Ugh
I was surprised by this, and mostly in a good way. Basically I was just curious what sort of book Hawke would write, and I'd expected it to be high-falutin', pretentious, patchy and irritating, but with a few (grudgingly acknowledged) bits of brilliance. Instead, once I got past the first couple of chapters and their introductions to the two main characters (these I did find pretty irritating for both characters' unrealistically observant and very writerly natures), I found this unexpectedly enj ...more
Tory
"Not only could Alison not see, she was also extremely short. The two might have been connected- kidney problems, I think- but I was already tall and it added to how awkward I felt around her. I held her hand as we walked around the park, doing all the low-key slides in tandem. She was sweet but a pain in the ass; all she wanted to do was wade in the children’s pool and place her vagina directly over a small bubbling fountain, “This feels FANTASTIC,” she’d say loudly. “Oh, my goodness!” She’d ex ...more
Eileen Pucci
I gave this novel 3 stars because it was an entertaining read and the author's style was very rich and engaging. I liked the book but I didn't respect it. It is basically a series of angst ridden, philosophical conversations between the main characters, Jimmy who is a wolf from the army and his pregnant girl friendChristy. My problem with the book is that there is just no way these two semi-losers would be so eloquent and introspective. NOBODY is that eloquent and introspective.
If you're looking for a light, fluffy, quick read, this book is certainly not for you. However, if you're looking for something thought-provoking and deep, pick this up.

One thing I kept thinking while reading this was that it reminded me of Markus Zusak. It focused more on the characters and their thoughts than what was actually happening. Sure, a lot of things happened in this book. But it wasn't necessarily the outcome that mattered, it was more what Jimmy and Christy took out of the experien
Meagan
I'm honestly not sure I liked this. I don't hate it. But oh my goodness is it so very descriptive. I feel like I may be missing something or the characters are just slightly bi-polar and/or schizophrenic. The book also hops over the line between erotic and vulgar which didn't work and I think Hawke knew it the further he went along cause I mostly had that problem in the beginning.

The tone was interesting and frustrating and somewhat melancholy. Nicely written. I feel like it doesn't really go a
  • Rescue Me
  • The Tapestries
  • Die Strudlhofstiege oder Melzer und die Tiefe der Jahre
  • Das Augenspiel. Lebensgeschichte 1931-37
  • Les Confessions d'un bourgeois
  • La Société des jeunes pianistes (Aksel Vinding, #1)
  • Love Poems of Elizabeth and Robert Browning
  • Die Ratten. Berliner Tragikomödie
  • Arthur Mervyn
  • Kalt ist der Abendhauch
Ethan Green Hawke is a three-time Academy Award-nominated American actor, writer and film director.

In 1988, Hawke was cast in a role in director Peter Weir's Dead Poets Society; the film's success was considered Hawke's breakthrough. He left school and appeared in A Midnight Clear, Alive, Reality Bites, Before Sunrise, Gattaca, The Newton Boys, Great Expectations, and many other movies. In 2001, h
More about Ethan Hawke...
The Hottest State The Poet's Guide to Life: The Wisdom of Rilke Manhattan Story Mercoledì delle ceneri The Delaplaine ETHAN HAWKE - His Essential Quotations (Delaplaine Essential Quotations)

“Give your heart to everybody you meet. The rest is pretense.” 27 likes
“Success isn't measured by what you achieve, it's measured by the obstacles you overcome.” 14 likes