Start by marking “A Lot Of Hard Yakka” as Want to Read:
A Lot Of Hard Yakka

A Lot Of Hard Yakka

Between 1980 and 1993, Simon Hughes was a regular on the county circuit, playing alongside Brearley, Gatting, Edmonds and Botham. This is an anecdotal look at the ups and downs, the lifestyle, the practical jokes and shear hard yakka of county cricket.
Paperback, 13th Edition, 311 pages
Published April 1st 1998 by Headline (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Lot Of Hard Yakka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lot Of Hard Yakka

Henry
Sep 03, 2016 Henry rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
As a highly dysfunctional young boy, county cricket was one of my early obsessions. I harboured a dislike for all things Middlesex, the affluent, glamourous half of London it seemed to me, with the team and ground to match. Surrey was my love, the Oval in the late 1980s, with its run down gasometers and crumbled down comprehensive school neighbours, and absence of scrambled eggs and smoked salmon neckwear, might have been separated by a mere mile or two, but to me reflected South London soul abo ...more
Jerry Smith
Jan 22, 2013 Jerry Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: sport, humour, 2013-read
Hard Yakka is a book I have been meaning to read for probably 15 years and I finally got around to it. I love this style of writing - humerous, self-deprecating and providing an insight into a world we probably never otherwise see.

Pretty much a book of its time, covering the late 80s and early to mid 90s. I would be interested to learn how things have changed on the county circuit since then, as the game has become more professional and the money has risen, not to mention the new forms of the ga
John
I really don't believe that I had heard of Simon Hughes until I read his books. He later turned up as an analyst on Channel 4's cricket coverage.

However, his skill in producing a perfectly created, hillarious book about his cricket exploits is brilliant.....

My favourite quote from the book is of John Emburey [famed English spinner] who noticed that his bat was broken and so eloquently stated "the f**king f**kers f**king f**ked". Thereby proving that cricketers are just as verbose as their footba
Craigb
Jan 27, 2011 Craigb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This is a cracking read for any cricket fan. Since leaving the game Simon is one of the best cricketing commentators in the game. If you're wondering why then read this book. He tells the story of his career in county cricket. (I loved the stories of Gatting's famous breakfasts.) Simon was not good enough for the test team but he still got to play State cricket in Australia. A thumbs up from me if you like your cricket.
HNC Library
Jun 17, 2014 HNC Library rated it it was amazing
This book was read by Media/Film Studies teacher Gary Eastwood as part of the Six Book Challenge. Here is his review:

"This was listed for prestigous William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award; It's easy to see why. Hughes captures the mood fantastically of being a 'nearly man' on the cricketing scene and does so in such an amusing and irrelevant fashion."
Sean Mccarney
Oct 06, 2015 Sean Mccarney rated it it was amazing
Great stories from the life of a county cricketer in the days when the game was an extension of being good at sport at school, when fitness was about how many beers you could fit in with lunch and before sports science reared its ugly head!
4triplezed
May 04, 2014 4triplezed rated it really liked it
Shelves: sport
Very good sports book. The life and times of an average player written with wit and a large dose of world weariness.
Mark short
Mark short rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2013
Matt Aldridge
Matt Aldridge rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2013
Danny Adams
Danny Adams rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2017
Simon
Simon rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Pranay Jaipuria
Pranay Jaipuria rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2013
Simon R. Staveley-Smith
Simon R. Staveley-Smith rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2016
nigel richard walker
nigel richard walker rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Martyn
Martyn rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2012
Horatio
Horatio rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2011
Henry Branson
Henry Branson rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Frank
Frank rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2013
Faizan Najeeb
Faizan Najeeb rated it did not like it
Mar 08, 2017
Adrian
Adrian rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Tim Dale lace
Tim Dale lace rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2016
Simon
Simon rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2012
Prosenjit Paul
Prosenjit Paul rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2013
David Lubliner
David Lubliner rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2014
Lee Johnson
Lee Johnson rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Neil Haslum
Neil Haslum rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
Ian
Ian rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Graeme Ford
Graeme Ford rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Natalie Hamnett
Natalie Hamnett rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2014
  • Bookie Gambler Fixer Spy
  • John Wright's Indian Summers
  • Work in Progress: Risking Failure, Surviving Success
  • Ponting: At The Close Of Play
Simon Peter Hughes is an English cricketer and journalist. He is the son of the actor Peter Hughes, and the brother of historian Bettany Hughes.

Librarian note:
There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name
More about Simon Hughes...