Start by marking “Dust” as Want to Read:
Dust

Dust

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  56 reviews
A hungry alien substance has traveled to Earth following a doomed Lunar mission. No life form stands a chance, but Clyde Jackson is tougher than most. He's seen war and he's been in plenty of foxholes. Now he's living through the end of the world one day at a time in a panic room that has become his only refuge.

Originally featured in The Absent Willow Review, "Dust" is the
Nook, Nook Edition, 22 pages
Published January 16th 2011 by Allison M. Dickson, via Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Dust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dust

The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan PoeThe Martian Chronicles by Ray BradburyThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeThe Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleLife is a Circus Run by a Platypus by Allison Hawn
Best Short Stories
67th out of 930 books — 644 voters
City Solipsism by Zack LoveThe Endlands by Vincent HobbesThe Doorman by Zack LoveWaiting for 2000 by Zack LoveStories and Scripts by Zack Love
My Top 50 Favorite Short Stories
8th out of 58 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

Bethica
Wow does this girl have talent! This book takes the darkness of the apocolypse and jerks your heartstrings for the poor fool locked in his own safe bunker. Definately worth the read!
MsBDiamondDiva1
I so love this story!!! :-) I usually don't read alien invasion books, but this short story was really good and I can't wait to read more from this author!!!
Sato
rameau
A chilling tale of how the world can end, not in ice or in fire, but buried in dust. If there's a page-turner, it's this one.

It's free on Amazon. Don't walk, run. And read.
Dustin
Very cool short story/novella. Loved the concept, characters and the ability to give a lot of background and depth to the main character within a short piece of fiction.
Kasia Hubbard
Really quick read about dangerous dust travelling back from the moon. Though it's really short, it was a really interesting concept. Really liked it.
Awesome short story. I read if over a lunch break. Cool idea. Interesting writing style. Downloaded it for free for my e-book. Check it out!
Ishanie
Yet another awesome short story by this author! I'm genuinely impressed and I look forward to everything and anything else she comes up with!
so short... I want more... :)
Karen
This is a seriously short story and can be read in less than an hour, though I took longer. This was a well written short for me because I felt like a part of what was going on. I could feel things closing in as things greyed out. References to events that I had actually seen as a child made it that more personal for me. Though you may not get to know the main character as well as you lke you understand him enough and get his motivations.

Clyde Jackson builds a bunker after the attack on the twin
Mindy
I typically don't write anything in this, "What did you think?" box, but today I discovered something. I discovered that I want you to read this! You, yes you! The person reading my opinion on this ebook. It was a quick read, I pushed through it in 20 minutes, but it's got the wheels in my mind turning about so many different things. (view spoiler) ...more
Robert Wilson
Some friends of mine have been telling me for a while I needed to read this story. As the Editor in Chief of a fledgling small dark fiction press, a freelance editor, and a writer myself, my reading for pleasure time is few and far between. But I finally made my way to this one last night.

Dust by Allison M. Dickson is a prime example of science fiction crossing with horror to make a powerful dread-inducing yet emotionally powerful human story. I couldn't put this down from beginning to end and h
Fred
Normally I'm all over the post apocalyptic fiction but this short story didn't do it for me. There wasn't enough going on. The whole thing was a narrative explanation explaining the events that led to the end of the world as told by a normal guy who had locked himself in a panic room. I'm just not a fan of the narrative-writing-a-note-in-case-someone-finds-it bit, this isn't the only story that I have read that tried for that and failed. In fact the only one that I have ever read that succeeded ...more
Dan
Nov 14, 2014 Dan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi heads
Well you can color me shocked. Truly. Science Fiction fan that I am, I’ve read anthology after anthology of short sci-fi stories over more the eons and never, not once, have I run into a short story that was, all at the same time, relatable, coherent, and creative enough to hold my interest.

Until now.

I’ll be honest, I’d have never read another short story except I made an exception because the author is a friend of mine. Cranky, curmudgeonly critic that I am, I’ve had this short story on my Kind
Gretchen
A short but powerful read. The world is quickly falling prey to an alien dust. Clyde is left alone in his panic room to reminisce about the events that brought him there, but how long can he hold out?

This is one of those stories that sticks with you. The hopelessness of Clyde's situation is present in every word, but the text never feels heavy or overwrought. Simply but beautifully written.
I was suggested this story by an author I follow and I'm quite impressed. Dust is a quick read, well-written, and quite amazing. Planning on downloading everything by this author. If I could give ten stars, I would.
Vincent Hobbes
The best short story I've read in months. I downloaded this last night and raced through it. Excellent story, and even better writing. I'll be keeping a close eye on this author.

-Vincent
Kevis Hendrickson
Another great story by Ms. Dickson. I'm really impressed with her work. Her writing is top notch and her imagination limitless. Looks like I have another new favorite author.
Vex
I'm such a sucker for "end of the world" stories. Especially ones involving alien intervention. So naturally, I didn't even need to finish reading the description to know I wanted to read this. I got as far as "A hungry alien substance has traveled to Earth following a doomed Lunar mission", and hit the download button.

Those who know me, know that I hugely prefer print books to digital books. It's not even a competition. But I have to admit that I have stumbled across some pretty neat books tha
Stephanie (Bookfever) ♥Adrian Ivashkov♥
Wow! Dust wasn't at all what I expected but I really liked it nontheless. I'm not sure what I expected but it was better than I thought it would be because a lot of short stories aren't this good.

I love stories that revolve around the end of the world as we know it and have to do with aliens or alien substances. Why? Because I feel like these kind of things could happen at any time.

The author, Allison M. Dickson's writing was so good. It was really powerful and well-written which makes me want
Christine
Apocalyptic and Disaster tales rank high as some of my favorite genres and though I'm hesitant to take a chance on books without reviews, I'm glad I did in this instance. "Dust" surpassed my expectations ten-fold.

It's hard to review a short without giving too much away, so I'll stick to what grabbed me. I liked that the main character came to life quickly and that we learn a lot about him in a way that doesn't feel forced. Everything, from the setting to the dialogue, was so well written, that i
Melinda
Immersive and Disturbing

High anxiety level from the beginning pulled me in to this amazingly immersive short story. Edgy, raw, emotional and dystopian, it hits on all cylinders. Highly Recommended!
Y.I. Lee
Dust is brilliant! It's a short story, and on reflection probably just as well, due to the tension it engenders. It's a unique story! Well written and fast paced. It certainly makes you think. When I'd finished it, I found myself trying to figure out the best place to hide, if such a frightening scenario should happen in the here and now...scary thought.
Great story, I loved it.
Vix
Straight into the story, the background pieces are filled in as the narrator, Clyde, tells us what is going on. With casual comments he drops in how His world fell apart and then the World literally fell apart. Harrowing in its unceremoniousness way of departing information, I blinked and reread a few times to fully grasp what was going on.
The continuing monologue explains why “they” went to the Moon and what then occurred, to leave poor Clyde trapped in his bunker.
Such loneliness is hard to sto
Patrick
Being an enthusiast in the fields of science fiction, Dust captured my interest because of its intriguing plot. It is about a man trapped inside his safe haven as the world outside begins to be razed out by the precarious dust thought to be brought from the moon by space explorers.

The story was well-written and worthy of note. I love the fact that in the threshold of 22 pages, Ms. Dickson was able to take down the ruminations of Mr. Clyde Jackson and the underlying principle behind the lethal l
Joanne
This story is a great short apocalyptic read! Clyde Jackson tells the tale of how the "dust" came to infect the earth, killing every living thing, while sitting in the Terror Attack Resistant Room he had built, over his now ex-wife's objections following the death of their daughter. Clyde is a Vietnam veteran, and the story told from his viewpoint was a gripping read with great writing, which I was surprised to find in such a short story! I liked it so much that I got another short story by her, ...more
I had very high expectations for this short story and Ms. Dickson did not disappoint. I won't repeat the other reviewers, but I found it interesting that many of the less-than-five-star reviews go on to tell you what an amazing story this is - because it is. Definitely worth the short amount of time it takes to read it. Exciting, thought-provoking, timely, timeless. No doubt it deserves 5-stars. I expect this story to stand the test of time. Way to go, Ms. Dickson - another gem.
Michelle Ruedin
This is one of the best short stories I've ever read. Brilliant, moving, thoughtful, and compelling. It drew me in and left me a little breathless. It could hold its own in a Bradbury collection.

UPDATE: I just read the revised edition. I must confessed I was a bit worried about it since I loved the original so much. My only complaint is that since I've already given it 5 stars, I've got no way to reflect how much I love the updated version.
Flower
More of a short story than a book, that is one thing about getting a digital book you just don't know. I found it interesting and a bit sad. I don't think you make this into a movie but maybe something like "The Twlight Zone" episode. Same cover picture as a very good young adult apocalyptic fiction; The Dead and The Gone. Very good series (or 1 book in the series) that is also about the moon.
Jessie
Great book

honestly, it's not a book but a really great short story.. I wish it was a little longer but not a whole novel cause based on the concept , it doesn't seem like life could really last for more then a year. I would still strongly recommend anyone to 'read this.. such ideas can become 'reality..
  • To Read or Not to Read
  • Into the Abyss
  • Peace Warrior
  • At the End (The Road to Extinction, #1)
  • Solar Storms: A Prequel Short Story to Orbs (Orbs Series, #0.1)
  • The Crystal Spheres
  • Moorehead Manor
  • Human Legacy Project
  • Immortality
  • GAMELAND: Deep Into The Game (S. W. Tanpepper's GAMELAND, #1)
  • Sleepover
  • The Sands of Karathi (Lacuna #2)
  • A Land of Ash
  • Surviving the Fog (Surviving the Fog #1)
  • Survivors (Aftertime, #1.5)
  • In the Dead: Volume 1
  • Natural Selection
  • The Invasion
Allison M. Dickson is the author of two published novels: horror-thriller STRINGS, and the dystopian epic, THE LAST SUPPER, which received a starred review in Publishers weekly. She also has published nearly two dozen short stories covering both speculative and realistic realms, both independently and in publications such as APEX MAGAZINE. Her independently-produced Colt Coltrane series, featuring ...more
More about Allison M. Dickson...
Strings Under the Scotch Broom Vermin Aria Singularity