Start by marking “The Jazz Theory Book” as Want to Read:
The Jazz Theory Book

The Jazz Theory Book

4.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  422 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Endorsed by Jamey Aebersold, James Moody, Dave Liebman, and others, The Jazz Theory Book presents all the information any student of jazz needs in an easy-to-understand, yet thorough, manner. For intermediate to advanced players, and written by one of the acknowledged masters of jazz, it is used by universities around the world.
Spiral-bound, 522 pages
Published June 1st 2005 by Sher Music Co. (first published June 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Jazz Theory Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jazz Theory Book

Adrian Stevenson
Dec 23, 2012 Adrian Stevenson rated it really liked it
I've just bought the ebook version of this so I have a reference on my ereader. I did read it a while back, but as with any good music theory book, it's important to keep going back, as there's always stuff you need to keep revisiting. It's quite a weighty tome on paper, so it's the sort of thing that's perfect in ebook form.
David
Oct 31, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Marc-A Seguin
I'm only on Chapter 3 at this time but I have learnt a lot already and can't wait to read more. This is a big book though and requires quite a lot of thought. I'll be "background reading" this one for quite some time to come.
David
Jun 29, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
Not being a jazz expert I can't certify that the theory presented here is correct, complete or comprehensive, but for sure it's clearly presented, well organized, and covers all the basic aspects of jazz I'm aware of. Don't expect to read this straight through: It's a workbook and a reference, so you will want to go through it slowly with your instrument at least once, and then refer back to specific areas as you need them. I've read a couple of criticisms of the book, and they're accurate - the ...more
Georgina
May 20, 2015 Georgina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music-theory, jazz
I have long relationship with this book. (Going on ten years now.) Whenever I pick it up I always learn something new and something old "clicks" into place. Today it's lead sheets (and correcting errors) and memorization tips for chord changes. Tomorrow it will be tinkering with established melodies and creating heads. It's an amazing book and I highly recommend it.
Van
Mar 03, 2016 Van is currently reading it
"...start thing of chord symbols as scale symbols." YES!
Peter
Jun 10, 2011 Peter rated it really liked it
Have enjoyed giving this a light reading. It's an extremely well-written and comprehensive resource -- with plenty of examples for all of the theoretical concepts. A lot of it hasn't fully sunk in -- and won't without a lot of practice -- but I think it's useful to have let the ideas wash over me. I expect to be coming back to this much more later. Would love to see a multi-media version of the book with audio for each of the examples.
Indran Fernando
Feb 10, 2016 Indran Fernando rated it it was amazing
Nick
Oct 25, 2007 Nick rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I'm perpetually reading and re-reading sections of this book. So much practical information. The only improvement I ask is that I wish he created a CD containing some of the musical excerpts. I own or have at least heard many of the recordings but not all of them, and I'm currently lacking a piano friend to play the accompanying portions.
Marc
Feb 16, 2009 Marc rated it it was amazing
as a music theory teacher, I am constantly on the lookout for good theory books, there are very very few of them. this one, however is excellent. the simplified piano reductions are incredibly valuable and the discussion of the technicalities surrounding issues of taste is unique.
Bruce Macfarlane
The best Jazz theory book for those who want to learn jazz on the guitar
Morris Nelms
Jul 28, 2012 Morris Nelms rated it really liked it
I prefer his book on Jazz Piano. It covers most of the same material and it's more personal, since the piano is his instrument.
Colin Masso
Jun 21, 2013 Colin Masso rated it it was amazing
This is exactly what it sounds like.
Bjm Index
Jul 20, 2012 Bjm Index added it
Shelves: music
Marcus de Rojas
Marcus de Rojas marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Mc
Mc marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Steffen Zeichner
Steffen Zeichner rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Pk Bk
Pk Bk rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Daniel Seltzer
Daniel Seltzer is currently reading it
Zineb Nesrine
Zineb Nesrine marked it as to-read
Emma Whines
Emma Whines marked it as to-read
Georgi
Georgi is currently reading it
May 21, 2016
David Kassay
David Kassay rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Charles Warner
Charles Warner marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Aidan
Aidan is currently reading it
May 17, 2016
Thomas Albritton
Thomas Albritton is currently reading it
May 16, 2016
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Candy Aisenbrey
Candy Aisenbrey marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Feng Pan
Feng Pan marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Luke Underwood-Hughes
Luke Underwood-Hughes marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
  • Twentieth-Century Harmony: Creative Aspects and Practice
  • Theory of Harmony
  • The Study of Counterpoint
  • Tonal Harmony, with an Introduction to Twentieth-Century Music
  • Jazz Styles: History and Analysis (9th Edition)
  • Complete Guide to Film Scoring
  • Basic Music Theory
  • Harmony
  • The Computer Music Tutorial
  • Effortless Mastery
  • Glenn Gould: The Ecstasy and Tragedy of Genius
Mark Levine, CEO of Mill City Press, is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison and Georgetown University Law Center.

In addition to The Fine Print of Self-Publishing, Mark has also published scholarly works and two novels, including Saturn Return.
More about Mark LeVine...

“learn the changes and then forget them.” 0 likes