Start by marking “The Jazz Theory Book” as Want to Read:
The Jazz Theory Book

The Jazz Theory Book

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Endorsed by Jamey Aebersold, James Moody, Dave Liebman, and others, The Jazz Theory Book presents all the information any student of jazz needs in an easy-to-understand, yet thorough, manner. For intermediate to advanced players, and written by one of the acknowledged masters of jazz, it is used by universities around the world.
Published June 1st 2005 by Sher Music Co. (first published June 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Jazz Theory Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jazz Theory Book

Adrian Stevenson
I've just bought the ebook version of this so I have a reference on my ereader. I did read it a while back, but as with any good music theory book, it's important to keep going back, as there's always stuff you need to keep revisiting. It's quite a weighty tome on paper, so it's the sort of thing that's perfect in ebook form.
David
May 05, 2015 David rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Marc-A Seguin
I'm only on Chapter 3 at this time but I have learnt a lot already and can't wait to read more. This is a big book though and requires quite a lot of thought. I'll be "background reading" this one for quite some time to come.
David
Not being a jazz expert I can't certify that the theory presented here is correct, complete or comprehensive, but for sure it's clearly presented, well organized, and covers all the basic aspects of jazz I'm aware of. Don't expect to read this straight through: It's a workbook and a reference, so you will want to go through it slowly with your instrument at least once, and then refer back to specific areas as you need them. I've read a couple of criticisms of the book, and they're accurate - the ...more
Georgina
I have long relationship with this book. (Going on ten years now.) Whenever I pick it up I always learn something new and something old "clicks" into place. Today it's lead sheets (and correcting errors) and memorization tips for chord changes. Tomorrow it will be tinkering with established melodies and creating heads. It's an amazing book and I highly recommend it.
Peter
Have enjoyed giving this a light reading. It's an extremely well-written and comprehensive resource -- with plenty of examples for all of the theoretical concepts. A lot of it hasn't fully sunk in -- and won't without a lot of practice -- but I think it's useful to have let the ideas wash over me. I expect to be coming back to this much more later. Would love to see a multi-media version of the book with audio for each of the examples.
Nick
I'm perpetually reading and re-reading sections of this book. So much practical information. The only improvement I ask is that I wish he created a CD containing some of the musical excerpts. I own or have at least heard many of the recordings but not all of them, and I'm currently lacking a piano friend to play the accompanying portions.
Marc
as a music theory teacher, I am constantly on the lookout for good theory books, there are very very few of them. this one, however is excellent. the simplified piano reductions are incredibly valuable and the discussion of the technicalities surrounding issues of taste is unique.
Morris Nelms
I prefer his book on Jazz Piano. It covers most of the same material and it's more personal, since the piano is his instrument.
Colin Masso
This is exactly what it sounds like.
Bjm Index
Jul 20, 2012 Bjm Index added it
Shelves: music
Donald Williams
Donald Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Tim Janiszewski
Tim Janiszewski marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Tulu Sihaphom
Tulu Sihaphom marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
YanC
YanC marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Michael Levine
Michael Levine marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Alain BERHE
Alain BERHE marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
John
John added it
Jun 18, 2015
Sarah Shamy
Sarah Shamy marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Nduduzo
Nduduzo marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
  • Thinking in Jazz: The Infinite Art of Improvisation
  • The Study of Orchestration
  • Bill Evans: How My Heart Sings
  • The Advancing Guitarist: Applying Guitar Concepts & Techniques
  • The Study of Counterpoint
  • Improvisation: Its Nature And Practice In Music
  • Jazz Styles: History and Analysis (9th Edition)
  • Theory of Harmony
  • Jazz: A History of America's Music
  • Glenn Gould: The Ecstasy and Tragedy of Genius
  • Dance Music Manual: Tools, Toys and Techniques
  • The History of Jazz
Mark Levine, CEO of Mill City Press, is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison and Georgetown University Law Center.

In addition to The Fine Print of Self-Publishing, Mark has also published scholarly works and two novels, including Saturn Return.
More about Mark Levine...
Heavy Metal Islam: Rock, Resistance, and the Struggle for the Soul of Islam The Jazz Piano Book The Fine Print of Self-Publishing Why They Don't Hate Us: Lifting the Veil on the Axis of Evil Overthrowing Geography: Jaffa, Tel Aviv, and the Struggle for Palestine, 1880-1948