Start by marking “The Beast Call” as Want to Read:
The Beast Call

The Beast Call

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Nook, 0 pages
Published May 5th 2011 by Premier Digital Publishing (first published May 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Beast Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beast Call

Becky
I was contacted by the author and sent a copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review.
Can I just say - beautiful cover!
The Beast Call is set around Dray and Lurin, brother and sister, ordinary people who live in a small community on a farm. Lurin wants more from life than to grow up running the farm and having children, he wants adventure. Dray is more sensible, but has a secret, she can communicate with animals, She has kept her ability hidden from everyone but her brother, as ma
Ashlinn (at) Baffling,Bonkers,and Brilliant Books!
My pre-judgment about this book was wrong! I was expecting a book mainly focusing on this "warrior women." But man was I wrong!

Dray was probably one of the best heroine that I have ever read. She wasn't cocky and didn't tell everyone how good she is at fighting, instead she was quite humble. I know she was humble so she wouldn't hurt her brother(Lurin) feelings, and I thought that was a great trait of Dray.

Madis,the world Dray lives in is different from what I thought it would be. The book start
Jade Walker
Original review at http://inkscratchers.blogspot.com

Okay, so I received this book around a month ago from the author and finally got around to the review today... bad Jade! Life just seems to get in the way doesn't it?

What really captured me in this book was the gorgeous writing, it's been a very long time since I've read a fantasy book with such beautiful description. I was drawn in by the wording from page one and throughout the book it just improved. I could totally envision this world which
Sophie
Enjoyed the book. Looking forward to more adventures by the main character. BUT the number of obvious copyediting errors was enough to seriously annoy me. As weird as this might sound, in the act of reading, words need to be comprehensible but invisible. When there are such obvious errors as verb/noun agreement, "lead" instead of "led", "by" instead of "my" etc., the words become an obstacle to flow. I have found this to be a much greater problem in books that are epublished, as opposed to books ...more
Lauren
When I was first offered the chance to review The Beast Call, I jumped at the chance. I'm always on the lookout for good fantasy, something reminiscent of the Kristin Cashore's spectacular Graceling and equally thrilling Fire, so a book about evil kings, superhuman powers, and extraordinary main characters sounded like just my kind of book. Sadly enough, I didn't end up enjoying The Beast Call nearly as much as I thought and hoped I would.

One of the main reasons this occurred was because of the
Stephanie
Anne Tibbets created a fresh and exciting tale about magic and the journey a girls goes through to find herself. -- And I enjoyed every single minute of it!
I absolutely adored The Beast Call and loved Dray. I'm a huge fan of a strong female heroine, but Dray blew my expectations out of the water! She was in no way conceited about her magical capabilities or her ability to kick major ass. She was just humble and super considerate of her brother Lurin's feelings --definitely one admirable chick!
Lily
The Beast Call by Anne Tibbets
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.
Seventeen year old Dray is no ordinary human. But possessing a magical capability to talk to animals in a land where magic is feared, is dangerous. When Dray's adventure hungry brother leaves the family farm to join a rebel militia, Dray follows him, but as Dray discovers her natural warrior capabilities, and word of her magical talents are discovered by the rebel General, Dray becomes an intricate part of the revolution, an
Tricia Kristufek
Dray Rena is a typical girl in the town of Genua...mostly. Her secret, kept hidden from all but her brother, is that she can do magic. Feared among the others of the continent of Madis, those with magical abilities learn quickly to hide them or risk being burned at the stake.

Rebelling against an arranged marriage, Dray runs off with her brother Lurin to join the army, intent on bringing down the evil King Nuro. Dray, in addition to her gift with animals, also finds herself skilled with a sword,
Willow

The beast call was a very interesting take on fantasy, one that was not only refreshing, but also enjoyable.

I love the setting. I'm not sure quite how to describe it. . . Dystopian, probably? But definitely less like books such as Matched and Delirium. If you've read Graceling, the setting reminds me of that, and Graceling was a wonderful book. For those of you who haven't read Graceling, I'd say that it's like it's in a time long ago that never happened. I really hope that makes sense.

I loved D
Michelle Book Briefs
3.5 stars. I didn't really know what to think when I first started this book. It didn't look like it was going to be my cup of tea and then then main character, Dray runs away and the book completely transforms. I really started to enjoy it. It is a really quick read and by the end of the book a lot happened.

I really liked the girl, Dray. I thought she was a good character and I loved learning about her abilities along with her. It seemed like she really discovered herself throughout the course
Krystal
The first quality the reader will notice is the good descriptions and narration provided to you by the main character, Dray. Dray has the ability to speak to animals, an ability the reader would love to have, but is feared in the world this novel takes place in. There is no lack of action and excitement in this novel, Dray's brother takes-off to participate in a rebel militia and the story builds up to a climax from there as Dray must follow him. Dray puts herself in danger, however, when the re ...more
Katrina
It was a good story, and I enjoyed it, but it was not very well written. The world was not developed, her powers never truly defined and explored, and we never really got to know the characters. Basically, there was a lot of unfulfilled potential. It felt more like a short story than a book.
Megan
Well It was a really good story, but poorly written. I couldn't stand how fast and often the point of view changed. I could barely imagine the world and it's characters and all of a sudden the story was over.
laurie
it was well written and had amazing detail. the story line was well thought out and was well paced. the main characters situation added to the action and created an intriguing background.
Michele(mluker) Luker
Very Fun book to read...has magic, magical creatures, a rebel cause, and a budding romance.

My full review will be up on Pageturnersblog.com soon.

Samuel
Samuel marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Blair Smith
Blair Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Ally Swanson
Ally Swanson marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Patricia Walker
Patricia Walker marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Mick Loves Books
Mick Loves Books marked it as to-read
Ren nerdychampagne
Ren nerdychampagne marked it as to-read
A Lynn
A Lynn marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Anne Tibbets
Sep 30, 2013 Anne Tibbets added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wrote
A.sahib
A.sahib marked it as to-read
May 27, 2013
Jaime Desilva
Jaime Desilva is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2012
James
James added it
Nov 07, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
'The Beast Call' FREE Today on Smashwords.com 1 2 Aug 22, 2011 03:16PM
Anne Tibbets found her way to fiction after writing for children's televsion and following what she loves: strong female characters, magic, sword fights, twisted family dynamics, and ferocious and cuddly animals. Anne is author of the young adult contemporary "Shut Up," and the New Adult speculative "CARRIER," and the forthcoming sequel, "WALLED."

She divides her time between writing, her family, a
More about Anne Tibbets...
Carrier (The Line, #1) Shut Up Walled (The Line, #2) The Amulet Chronicles: Book I: The Journey Home