Start by marking “A Little Book of Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Little Book of Christmas

A Little Book of Christmas

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  26 reviews
This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about A Little Book of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Book of Christmas

Debbie Zapata
Christmas in June? Yep. For a challenge I needed a book set during Christmas, and this was my choice. I had read and enjoyed another book by John Kendrick Bangs last year, so when I saw this title at Gutenberg, I was pretty sure I would have some nice stories to read and I was not disappointed.

Written in 1912, the four stories here take place in New York City. The mix of tension, humor and the joy of the season is perfect in each story. These are not religious tales, the main theme of the entire
Owlseyes

A TOAST TO SANTA CLAUS
Whene'er I find a man who don't Believe in Santa Claus, And spite of all remonstrance won't Yield up to logic's laws, And see in things that lie about The proof by no means dim, I straightway cut that fellow out, And don't believe in him.
The good old Saint is everywhere Along life's busy way

...
--------
No, this ain’t a shades, ghosts or afterlife-conversations…story. It’s just a little Bangsian X’mas story I’ve found; especially sweet that letter by the children you’ll fin
Karen
4 short Christmas stories written in 1912. It is a true picture of the times when 6 year old boys sold newspapers on the corner and slept on the streets. Heartrending, but heartwarming at the same time. Spirit of Christmas prevails throughout. Vocabulary outstanding. Free on my Kindle, so glad I took advantage of a wonderful read.
Samantha
I suppose dated - but no more than Dickens which means they are timeless. Worth a reread as full of moralistic and hopeful Christmas cheer - worth a read certainly
Sam Woodfield
This is a lovely little book comprising a number of short stories and poems all in the spirit of Christmas. Each of the stories focuses on the real meaning of Christmas - good will to all men and helping those less fortunate than yourself. Each one really makes you think about what you can give to others and the things that are really important.
Although very short, each story is complete, we get to understand the characters and their social status - something which is important in this book and
Cait
Lovely little collection of Christmas stories, liked the poems too.

Three were very similar with people assuming the role of Santa Claus.

Liked 'The Child Who Had Everything But-' best.

Very quick read.

Good sense of humour, but tongue-in-cheek in places.
dee
Nice little Christmas book

I enjoyed reading this book. It is short and very sweet. I read a couple of the stories to my grandson...He, likewise, enjoyed them.
Steve Campbell
This book contains four heart-warming stories published in the early 20th Century. All are set in New York, and each features men who, in the true Christmas spirit, respond to the needs of children. The author has a playful way of turning a phrase and leaves the reader smiling with satisfaction at the end of each story. This book is a perfect companion for sitting by the fireplace with a cup of hot chocolate or tea.
Tina Hegg
Well, I cried four times in an hour - one for each story. Beautiful little book.
kelley
This antiquated work was first published in 1912 and contains four short Christmas stories. I listened to them while I baked my holiday pies. The stories were interesting and each contained a main character or characters that performed a good deed at Christmas time. I enjoyed the style of writing, the stories themselves and the little touch of the paranormal. My favorite story was Santa Claus and Little Billee.

Roberta
A few short stories and poems about Christmas, in the american way. My favourite are the the last two: Santa Claus and Little Billie, where a poor man in a worn-out red suits pretend to be Santa and take homes a lost little boy, and The House of Seven Santa, where the members of a gentlemen club save a little news boy from the storm and give him the best Christmas of his life.
Nancy
I enjoyed the stories. One author used too many big words. I usually enjoy reading the older words, but one story was just too much through the first half. The last half of the story was much better. I really liked the last story in the book. I like sweet sentimental Christmas stories this time of year. This was a short quick read.
Pam
This book published in 1912 is a delight! It contains four separate short stories about Christmas, and all are interesting. You might consider the stories quaint and sweet, but that is the draw. A great read for Christmas! The volume I read also contained several Christmas poems.
Shelly
I REALLY liked this one! Except for the formatting at the very beginning, because it's a public domain book, this had all the Christmas messages and spirit you could want! Loved every story!
I'll be keeping this one to return to season after season.
Mandy
This was a compilation of Christmas poems and essay type stories. All of the short stories pull at your heart-strings and make you remember the true meaning of Christmas. I will definitely use these stories in the future in lessons and to tell my children.
Laurel Wicke
This book lives up to its title. A little book full of Christmas stories and poems. Though a bit dated, it's sweet and nostalgic. I enjoyed reading it lying on the couch by the Christmas tree.
Heidi
For some reason this book had me thinking of Downtown Abbey while I read it. Written in 1912, this book of charming short stories will put you in the perfect holiday mood!
Naomi
Family-friendly collection of short Christmas stories and poems, showing their age in some ways, but sweet nonetheless, and remaining relevant given our current economy.
Mo
I got this for Kindle
Also downloaded it from Gutenberg to Adobe Digital Reader (laptop), but have not transferred it to my nook yet.
Janelle
I enjoyed all these stories and poems, although the final story, The House of Seven Santas was really very special.
Sharon
I loved these little short stories and poems. Just perfect for Christmas.
Naomi
A must read to give you the missing Christmas spirit.
VeeAnn
Great short stories to enjoy this time of the year.
Paul
Brilliant quick read. I really enjoyed it.
Glenda
Christmas short stories and poems..nice.
Jacqui Jacoby
Very nice Christmas stories.
Sherri Thompson
Sherri Thompson marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
 ♥  Lisa  ☯
♥ Lisa ☯ marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Beth Sniffs Books
Beth Sniffs Books marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Bride For Christmas (Regency Christmas Brides, #1)
  • Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
  • Behind a Mask, Or, a Woman's Power
  • Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch
  • The Christmas Angel
  • Aunt Jane's Nieces (Aunt Jane's Nieces, #1)
  • A Regency Christmas II
  • A House to Let
  • Touching Wonder: Recapturing the Awe of Christmas
  • A Stockingful of Joy
  • The Christmas Tree Treasure Hunt
  • Sweet Christmas Kisses: Fourteen Sweet Christmas Romances
  • A Family for Christmas
  • The Christmas Bus
  • The Christmas Grandma Ran Away from Home (The Grandma #1)
  • Christmas Brides (Three Regency Novellas)
  • Natural Running: The Simple Path to Stronger, Healthier Running
  • Beauty Gone Wild Herbal Recipes for Gorgeous Skin Hair Herbs
John Kendrick Bangs was an American author and satirist, and the creator of modern Bangsian fantasy, the school of fantasy writing that sets the plot wholly or partially in the afterlife.
More about John Kendrick Bangs...
A House-Boat on the Styx Alice in Blunderland: An Iridescent Dream The Idiot Ghosts I Have Met, and Some Others (Dodo Press) R. Holmes and Co.: Being the Remarkable Adventures of Raffles Holmes, Esq., Detective and Amateur Cracksman by Birth