Start by marking “The Book That Zack Wrote” as Want to Read:
The Book That Zack Wrote

The Book That Zack Wrote

This is the frog… that kissed the fox… that chased the pig…that oinked in the book that Zack wrote. A fresh and funny re-telling of “The House That Jack Built” with a rhyming refrain, a kooky cast of characters and comic-style illustrations. Includes a separate composition book for kids to create their own illustrated story.
Published July 12th 2011 by Blue Apple Books (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Book That Zack Wrote, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book That Zack Wrote

Betsy
Jul 25, 2011 Betsy rated it really liked it
I have a theory. Bear with me here. My theory is that whenever there is a literary phenomenon in the teen or middle grade chapter book world, you see little echoes of it in the picture books as well. So, for example, after the rise of Twilight I enjoyed seeing kids checking out multiple copies of books like Dear Vampa. After Harry Potter the picture book The Wizard by Jack Prelutsky made the New York Times bestseller list. And I can only dream that in the wake of The Hunger Games we'll see an in ...more
Natasha GJ Nanny Nakia
Reseñado en mi blog Nanny Books

El libro que escribió Zack es una novela gráfica infantil, editada por V&R Editoras, escrito e ilustrado por Ethan Long.

El ejemplar es de tapa dura, de tamaño grande, impreso a colores, con un estilo de cuaderno escolar. Las páginas son gruesas y resistentes. ¡Con muchas sorpresas, como un poster desplegable!

Las ilustraciones son graciosas, de trazos simples y colores fuertes, asemejan los dibujos y la forma de pintar que tienen los chicos.

Por cada ilustración
Wooden Horse
Sep 19, 2011 Wooden Horse rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The staff loves this book! It includes a mini "notebook" for the reader to write their own story. Wouldn't it be GREAT if someone entered their Spooky Story written in the mini book for our Annual Spooky Story Contest in October?!?!
UPDATE: Our storyteller, Susan, read this last night and the kids LOVED it too! Everyone from the 2 1/2 year old to the 6th grader was laughing and reading along. They especially liked that it is written in a memo book.
Dani
Aug 29, 2011 Dani rated it it was amazing
Just picked this up for my daughter, and she and I both completely fell in love with it. Presented as a story doodled by crayon in a composition book, this story is a creative, quirky, hilarious twist on "The House that Jack Built." And...if it couldn't get any better, it includes a small, blank composition book tucked in the back so that your own little budding artist/author can make their very "Book that _______ Wrote."

A big, big hit in at my house.
Shelli
Dec 07, 2011 Shelli rated it it was amazing
Wish I could give this book 6 out of 5 stars! What a great way to make reading exciting and encourage creativity! Written to look like a composition notebook this retake on the classic story The House that Jack Built is a funny, fun, fun. Makes me want to grab some crayons and create my own. I'm sure young readers will feel the same.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Jan 25, 2012 Kathy (Kindle-aholic) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A little bit like "The Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly." The kiddos absolutely love ths one, so that made it a 5 star for me. The book looks like one of the composition notebooks - each kid has a couple for drawing/writing in. The drawings and writing resemble a kid's style. My eldest read this then had to get her own notebook and work on her own story.
Mary
This picture book looks like a composition book assignment written by Jack that's told in the cumulative style similar to "This is the House that Jack Built." An especially amusing illustration is the double page spread of future books: Frog and Toad are Lunch, How the Wild Things Taste, and The Very Crunchy Caterpillar.
Jennifer Clausen-greene
Jun 06, 2013 Jennifer Clausen-greene rated it really liked it
i did not particulary enjoy this book, but my son did, so in the end that is what matters to me. Is it a book that he enjoys reading that captures his attention and helps him develop a love of reading and improve his vocabulary.
Read  Ribbet
Ethan Long -- who wrote our favorite Croaky Pokey -- has this clever cumulative tale based on the House that Jack Built illustrated as if it is in the journal/notebook of a young writer with appropriate illustrations (it even includes a book you can write in)
Kate
Oct 10, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
Awesome spin on The House that Jack Built - just when the repetition gets to the annoying point, there's a great twist and funny ending. Also, the notebook layout is neat.
Bethe
Feb 09, 2013 Bethe rated it liked it
Composition book format for this version of the traditional cumulative tale is wacky and zany. Not sure it really works but I'm sure it will be popular.
Ghiomara Beov
GENIALLLLLLLL
osoordinary
Apr 16, 2013 osoordinary rated it it was amazing
I've read this to N&H several times. I don't know what it is about this one, but they LOVE it! The giggle, the ask questions, comment. Too cute. :)
Amy Goldstein
Amy Goldstein rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2016
Lisa Hobbs
Lisa Hobbs rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2011
Rosy
Rosy rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2015
Lisa Delacruz
Lisa Delacruz rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2012
Dawn Little
Dawn Little rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2011
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2012
Tasha
Tasha rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Gail
Gail rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Princess Twilight Sparkle
Princess Twilight Sparkle rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2014
Joy
Joy rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
May 15, 2013
Millie
Millie rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2013
eric matsumoto
eric matsumoto rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Jnase1
Jnase1 rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2017
Dylan Teut
Dylan Teut rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2012
Colby Sharp
Colby Sharp rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2012
Ethan Long is a popular, award-winning and internationally recognized children's book author and illustrator with over 70 children's books, a Theodor Seuss Geisel Award and an Emmy-nominated television series to his credit. Just about all of his awake time is spent writing stories, drawing pictures and spending time with his family. Since graduating from Ringling College of Art and Design in 1991, ...more
More about Ethan Long...