Start by marking “The Book That Zack Wrote” as Want to Read:
The Book That Zack Wrote

The Book That Zack Wrote

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  11 reviews
This is the frog… that kissed the fox… that chased the pig…that oinked in the book that Zack wrote. A fresh and funny re-telling of “The House That Jack Built” with a rhyming refrain, a kooky cast of characters and comic-style illustrations. Includes a separate composition book for kids to create their own illustrated story.
Published July 12th 2011 by Blue Apple Books (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Book That Zack Wrote, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book That Zack Wrote

Betsy
I have a theory. Bear with me here. My theory is that whenever there is a literary phenomenon in the teen or middle grade chapter book world, you see little echoes of it in the picture books as well. So, for example, after the rise of Twilight I enjoyed seeing kids checking out multiple copies of books like Dear Vampa. After Harry Potter the picture book The Wizard by Jack Prelutsky made the New York Times bestseller list. And I can only dream that in the wake of The Hunger Games we'll see an in ...more
Mary
This picture book looks like a composition book assignment written by Jack that's told in the cumulative style similar to "This is the House that Jack Built." An especially amusing illustration is the double page spread of future books: Frog and Toad are Lunch, How the Wild Things Taste, and The Very Crunchy Caterpillar.
Dani
Just picked this up for my daughter, and she and I both completely fell in love with it. Presented as a story doodled by crayon in a composition book, this story is a creative, quirky, hilarious twist on "The House that Jack Built." And...if it couldn't get any better, it includes a small, blank composition book tucked in the back so that your own little budding artist/author can make their very "Book that _______ Wrote."

A big, big hit in at my house.
Wooden Horse
The staff loves this book! It includes a mini "notebook" for the reader to write their own story. Wouldn't it be GREAT if someone entered their Spooky Story written in the mini book for our Annual Spooky Story Contest in October?!?!
UPDATE: Our storyteller, Susan, read this last night and the kids LOVED it too! Everyone from the 2 1/2 year old to the 6th grader was laughing and reading along. They especially liked that it is written in a memo book.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
A little bit like "The Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly." The kiddos absolutely love ths one, so that made it a 5 star for me. The book looks like one of the composition notebooks - each kid has a couple for drawing/writing in. The drawings and writing resemble a kid's style. My eldest read this then had to get her own notebook and work on her own story.
Shelli
Wish I could give this book 6 out of 5 stars! What a great way to make reading exciting and encourage creativity! Written to look like a composition notebook this retake on the classic story The House that Jack Built is a funny, fun, fun. Makes me want to grab some crayons and create my own. I'm sure young readers will feel the same.
Read  Ribbet
Ethan Long -- who wrote our favorite Croaky Pokey -- has this clever cumulative tale based on the House that Jack Built illustrated as if it is in the journal/notebook of a young writer with appropriate illustrations (it even includes a book you can write in)
Jennifer Clausen-greene
i did not particulary enjoy this book, but my son did, so in the end that is what matters to me. Is it a book that he enjoys reading that captures his attention and helps him develop a love of reading and improve his vocabulary.
Kate
Awesome spin on The House that Jack Built - just when the repetition gets to the annoying point, there's a great twist and funny ending. Also, the notebook layout is neat.
Bethe
Composition book format for this version of the traditional cumulative tale is wacky and zany. Not sure it really works but I'm sure it will be popular.
osoordinary
I've read this to N&H several times. I don't know what it is about this one, but they LOVE it! The giggle, the ask questions, comment. Too cute. :)
Summer
Summer added it
Jul 14, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Richelle
Richelle marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Stc87
Stc87 marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Jodie
Jodie marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Andy
Andy added it
Apr 15, 2013
Christie Goldenberg
Christie Goldenberg marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015