Building Construction Illustrated

Building Construction Illustrated

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  396 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The classic visual guide to the basics of building construction, now with the most current informationFor nearly three decades, "Building Construction Illustrated" has offered an outstanding introduction to the principles of building construction. This new edition of the revered classic remains as relevant as ever-providing the latest information in Francis D.K. Ching's si...more
Published March 10th 2011 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 1975)

Brittany
This book lives on my desk at work. Definitely written for architects (or should I say illustrated there are few words).
Dyonne
Could you ever get through Architecture School without Ching?
Lauren
This book is an excellent reference for architects, designers and any interested party in the construction industry. Unless you're really interested in the mechanics of building technology, and have a general grasp of how things go together, this is certainly one to skip. I found this invaluable when studying for my licensing exams and hold it in high esteem.
Hooper
This is hands down the most practically informative book I've ever read (although it's not really something you read cover to cover!). Very clear illustrations help in visualizing the construction of a building from locating the right site, to installing solar panels and casting your own concrete slabs.
This is first "go to" book of reference on my shelf. I prefer the second addition - but all are very useful. Lots of clear illustrations. Good construction overview. My copy is full of tabs and very worn. A must have for architects and students of architecture
Jodie
Oct 08, 2007 Jodie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: student drafters, nerds
i learned that an I beam is actually a W Beam. The W stands for WIDE and it refers to the size of the FLANGE. The W Beam flange is wider that the original steel S Beam.

are you fascinated?
Jack Stephens
Required reading when I studied architecture and still a valuable resource for anyone with their hands in the design of buildings.
Dawn
The most useful reference book I have used in my architectural career/ university course so far.
Michelle
I opened this book twice so far. I will let you know if it gets more useful in the future.
Eippo1
This book is the bible for any design drafter. Such an amazing and indispensable tool.
Philip Bergstresser

Required addition to any serious builder's library
Charles Horn
Oct 02, 2007 Charles Horn added it  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone who ever goes into a building....
Excellent refrence, and i find the graphics astounding.
Cimuchowski
This book is huge and have a ton of info. in it.
Tom Hilde
How to build anything. Amazing illustration.
Kast
its my only truth construction bible .
Andrell
Helpful! Still on my shelf at work
Shafira Chairunnisa
Shafira Chairunnisa marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Amal Gad
Amal Gad marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
James
James added it
Apr 16, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
George
George added it
Apr 13, 2014
Pooji
Pooji is currently reading it
Apr 12, 2014
  • Modern Architecture Since 1900
  • A History of Architecture: Settings and Rituals
  • The Architecture of the City
  • Modern Architecture: A Critical History (World of Art)
  • Complexity and Contradiction in Architecture
  • A Field Guide to American Houses
  • Experiencing Architecture
  • Why Buildings Stand Up: The Strength of Architecture
  • Architects' Data
  • Architecture Without Architects: A Short Introduction to Non-Pedigreed Architecture
  • The Image of the City
  • Great Streets
Frank (Francis D. K.) Ching (born 1943) is a widely recognized author of books addressing architectural and design graphics. Ching's books have been widely influential and continue to shape the visual language of all fields of design. He is a Professor Emeritus at the University of Washington.
More about Francis D.K. Ching...
Architecture: Forms, Space, & Order A Visual Dictionary of Architecture Architectural Graphics Design Drawing Interior Design Illustrated