Start by marking “Library Lily” as Want to Read:
Library Lily

Library Lily

Lily loves to read. She is fascinated by the stories in her books, and reads wherever she goes—through summer, autumn, winter, and spring. But one day, Lily meets a girl who hates reading. Milly invites Lily to have adventures of her own—outside the pages of a book. Together the two friends help each other discover the joy of both backyards and books—and find on the way ...more
Unknown Binding, 26 pages
Published June 8th 2011 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Library Lily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Library Lily

Library Lion by Michelle KnudsenThe Library by Sarah StewartThe Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians by Carla  MorrisThe Library Dragon by Carmen Agra DeedyLibrary Mouse by Daniel Kirk
Picture Books about the Library!
55th out of 119 books — 148 voters
84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakMr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin SloanThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Books about Books and Libraries
325th out of 457 books — 171 voters

More lists with this book...

Rossy
Dec 15, 2015 Rossy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I was Lily.
I am Lily.
You are Lily.
All of us, here on GR, have been Lily.

Lily loves to read. She spends her days reading, and reading, and reading (What could be more delightful?), until her mother encourages to play and find some adventures at the park. There she meets Mily, a girl who thinks books are boring and hates to read. Mily tells Lily to climb on her tree and tells her there is a whole other world up there. Lily tells her there's a whole world in her books, too.
They become best frien
CatholicBibliophagist
Mar 20, 2012 CatholicBibliophagist rated it did not like it
Shelves: kid-lit, 2012
"When Lily learned to read, her mom was very pleased. She took Lily to the library and got her a library card... The trouble was, once Lily started to read, she couldn't stop."

I love reading children's books about libraries. But I didn't like this one. I was ready to sympathize with the title character, a little girl who reads under the blankets at night, while brushing her teeth, while eating dinner. In fact, when her mother speaks to her she just doesn't hear because she's so intent on her rea
Gabby
Lily is a little girl who loves to read, and when her mom got her a library card, she could not stop reading. She would read at night under her blankets, in the morning while brushing her teeth, and when her mother was even talking to her! She read through all the seasons, and when summertime came, she would rather read than play at the park. Until one day at the playground, she met a little girl named Milly, who did not like to read at all and thought it was so boring! The girls instantly ...more
Donalyn
Lily adores reading and spends her days happily curled up with her books. She doesn't see this as a problem, but her mother implies that she needs other interests. At the park, she meets another girl named Milly, who hates to read, but loves exploring. The girls form a friendship and share each other's passions-- going on adventures both in and out of books. I liked the literacy and reading community message here, but it bothered me that any parent would find fault in a child who loves to read ...more
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Library Lily is a great children's book. LIly loves to read. She spends every moment reading. When her mom encourages her to play in the park she doesn't know what to do. She meets a girl named Mily who does not like to read. Mily teaches her about the benefits of living in the real world while lily shares the wonder of the world of books. This is a great book to borrow again and again from the library.
Clare Cannon
Apr 16, 2012 Clare Cannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 08-12yrs, 04-8yrs
A gorgeous picture book that has it all: books, friendship and adventure. The bright illustrations carry the charming story right into your heart.
Emkoshka
A cute story about two young girls with seemingly irreconcilable interests who forge a friendship regardless and enrich each other's lives with adventures both within and without books. A good way to encourage kids to be well-rounded: for every book to be read, there's also a tree to be climbed. And vice versa!
Laurie
Sep 05, 2014 Laurie rated it really liked it
Kaisa
Oct 04, 2016 Kaisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lapset, kuvakirjat
Kaikille pienille tytöille, jotka pitävät kirjoista, kirjastoista ja lukemisesta. Erityisesti Kaisa-nimisille.
Lindsey Bishop
This book shows you can like books but still be adventurous all at the same time.
Katie Fitzgerald
Library Lily always has her nose in a book, to the point that she rarely has any real-life adventures of her own. Millie, on the other hand, can’t stand books. This sweet friendship story for bookworms tells how these two very different girls learned to appreciate one another’s points of view and become best friends who have real and imagined adventures together.

This book is a little bit too cheesy for me, and Millie’s transformation from reluctant to avid reader didn’t really ring true. This is
Breanna Samuels
Sep 21, 2015 Breanna Samuels rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this adorable book! It has the best meaning behind it and so many students could relate to the characters in this book. Lily is in love with books and cannot help but read read read all day long and she misses out on the world around her. Milly is adventurous and she hates to read in the beginning of the story. When Lily goes to the park her mother tells her to put the book down and go play with someone, that's when she bumps into Milly! They learn from each other and Milly ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Lily reminds me of myself at that age--always with my nose in a book. Lily thinks that "going to the library was like going on an adventure," and that's just how I felt. While I wasn't allowed to read at the table, and I never read while brushing my teeth, like Lily does, I did read as much as I could. However, what this story emphasizes is not so much the importance of reading as the importance of keeping a balance between reading, exercise, and socialization, which Lily finds when she meets ...more
Barbara
Jul 07, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncbla
In this tribute to literacy, friendship, and shared hobbies, bibliophile Lily loves to read, and that's how she passes her days--reading, always reading. When her mother encourages Lily to play while they are in the park, she reads the signs along the path and meets a new friend named Milly. Milly is an active girl who loves climbing in trees and doesn't like to read. But over time, both come to share their worlds of adventure, exploring the world first-hand and through the books that Milly ...more
Dolly
Sep 12, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet story that shows how two very different little girls can become great friends and introduce each other to new ideas, hobbies and activities. One little girl, Lily, was far too interested in books and never wanted to do anything else (sounds a little bit like me!) And Milly was very adventurous and loved to play outside, but she hated books. Together, however, they struck more of a balance and discovered new and fun things (and books) they never would have discovered on their own. ...more
Stefani
Nov 16, 2011 Stefani rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-picture
I am a narcissistic librarian; if you publish a book about libraries and/or reading, I will probably buy it. And I'm not the only one out there. Bias aside, this book is incredibly charming.

Lily loves to read, but when mom makes her stop to play, she realizes it's fun to explore in the real world too. Alternatively, her new friend Milly learns that books are adventures too! A wonderful story to introduce balancing reading and real-world fun. One of my favorite spreads is when the two girls are u
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Mar 16, 2016 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
Shelves: libraries
Lily loves to read. Milly does not like to read at all. Lily does not like to do anything except read. Milly loves to explore outside. The two girls become friends and gradually grow to love the things their friends love, too.

Big colorful pictures. For every big reader and for every person who says they do not like to read.

“Lily read and read and read.

‘There goes Library Lily,’ people began to say. ‘Always has her head in a book.’”

Amy Adams
Dec 11, 2013 Amy Adams rated it really liked it
A girl who loves the library? You know I couldn't pass this one up. This is a cute story, and it encourages kids to get library cards! Yeay! I love that the two main characters are both female. There's also this little black cat who makes an appearance throughout, and he's irresistible (I proudly admit my bias)! The illustrations were cute--not amazing, but entertaining and colorful. This would be a good one for storytime because it's fairly short.
Jackie
Nov 18, 2011 Jackie rated it really liked it
Lily, who loves to read, finds out why it is important to read AND to have fun and adventures. Her nose always stuck in a book, Library Lily, serendipiously meets Milly who hates books. (Can you imagine?) Together they find a happy balance to all of life's written and spoken adventures both real and imaginary.

Colorful illustrations are imaginative and boldly colorful.
Charlyn
Dec 02, 2012 Charlyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: K=3
Lily is called "library Lily" because, once she learned to read, she always had her head in a book. The she meets Milly at the park. Milly loves adventure, but she hates reading. Each girl introduces the other to her favorite pastime and soon both girls are together seeking both real adventure in the world and adventure found is books.
Nov 28, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Library Lily loves to read, so much so that she's missing the interesting world around her. She meets Milly in a park and discovers that while Milly hates to read, she knows all about having adventures. The two girls form a sweet friendship and introduce one another to a new side of life. A fun book that manages to promote a love of reading without being preachy. Recommended for K - grade 2.
Ashley Massa
Oct 04, 2012 Ashley Massa rated it liked it
Picture Book 19
Lily is such an adorable little character in this story who loves to read and go to the library, which I thought was a very encouraging message to children! I thought that the story line could've been a little more vibrant, but overall it was a cute little story that small children would enjoy.
Megan Higginson
Jan 21, 2016 Megan Higginson rated it really liked it
Marcie
I read this two seconds after Can I Bring Woolly to the Library, Ms. Reeder? and I liked it much better. To me the former is an attempt to update Eric A. Kimmel's wonderful I Took My Frog to the Library and it just didn't work for me. Library Lily is sweet, but a bit too predictable and pat. I did, however love the illustrations and can see using it for story time.
Maria Burel
May 22, 2012 Maria Burel rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I expected this story to be about a little girl’s love for books, as the title suggests. And it is. But it is also about a new friend who teaches her the power of imagination and exploration outside of the pages of the book. It’s a nice little twist to the typical “books are great” story, and the ending, in particular, made me smile.
Sandy Brehl
I'd have given this book 4 or even 5 stars if it had left the mother's role out entirely and allowed Lily to meet Milly on her own. I'm convinced she'd have made it her mission to turn Milly into a reader and the outright message from a trusted adult, that a child can read too much, would not have been needed.
Karen Arendt
Oct 22, 2011 Karen Arendt rated it really liked it
Lily loves to read, but never does anything else. One day her mom takes her to the park, so she reads the signs and finds nothing else to do. Milly, a girl in the park, asks her if she wants to climb a tree. Milly hates to read, but Lily teachers her to love reading while Milly teaches Lily to love other things.
Carrie
Jan 03, 2012 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-fiction
Bella
Sep 11, 2016 Bella rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile
meh.
In general I love a book about libraries, reading, books, etc but this one was pretty bland and so was the artwork. I doubt kids will ever pick it as a fave; none of 'em have requested it for a re-read and honestly I'm relieved lol.
Amanda
Mar 06, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story about a young girl that loves the adventures she finds in books. She eventually meets her best friend Milly, and they learn that there are great adventures to be had in books as well as in life!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Homer, the Library Cat
  • Otto the Book Bear
  • Librarian on the Roof! A True Story
  • When Blue Met Egg
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Merry Christmas?
  • Olive and the Big Secret
  • Mousterpiece
  • Big Plans
Gillian Shields was born and brought up in Yorkshire, in the north of England. As she grew up, she had two passions:books and theater. Gillian’s love of books led her to read English at St. Catharine's College, Cambridge. After university she studied acting in London. She then taught in a drama school, the Academy of Live and Recorded Arts, for several years, becoming Vice Principal. She recently ...more
More about Gillian Shields...