Morgue Mama: The Cross Kisses Back

Morgue Mama: The Cross Kisses Back (Morgue Mama Mysteries #1)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  22 reviews
"In Corwin's witty and engaging caper, the start of a new series, newspaper archivist Dolly Madison Sprowls, called Morgue Mama behind her back, and a determined cub reporter, Aubrey McGinty, team up to investigate the poisoning of TV evangelist Buddy Wing at the Heaven Bound Cathedral in the Hallelujah city of Hannawa, Ohio. The irrepressible, 67-year-old Maddy (as she pr...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published October 15th 2003)

Alex
For a while, I've had the idea that you could do a great mystery or detective novel about a newspaper reporter in northeast Ohio. Well, it turns out someone already beat me to it--sort of.

This is the first in a three-book series about Dolly Madison Sprowls, a.k.a. "Morgue Mama," the 67-year-old librarian of a mid-sized Ohio paper that's more or less modeled on the Akron Beacon-Journal. Sprowls lords over the newspaper's archive (the "morgue," hence her reviled nickname), and teams up with an amb...more
Alyce Rocco
*Morgue Mama by C.R. Corwin is a light, mystery novel; quick, easy read, sometimes fun, such as when:

"Dale started twirling his felt-tip pen through his fingers like a majorette's baton."

"I watched his felt-tip fly across the aisle and land under a table of old women who'd already gotten their food. He looked at the tangle of support-hosed legs and winced."

Towards the end of the novel, when the killer is identified, the characters rehashed just about everything readers learned earlier in the bo...more
LJ
MORGUE MAMA: THE CROSS KISSES BACK – G
Corwin, C.R. – 1st book
Dolly Madison Sprowls, 67-year-old keeper of the newspaper morgue, and a determined cub reporter, Aubrey McGinty, team up to investigate the poisoning of TV evangelist Buddy Wing at the Heaven Bound Cathedral in "the Hallelujah city" of Hannawa, Ohio. However, Aubrey, rather than finding the culprit, seems bent only on clearing the name of convict Sissy James, the badly abused ex-girlfriend of a rival preacher.

Not a bad first book alt...more
Jen
Aug 08, 2013 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
When TV evangelist buddy wing is poisoned newspaper archivist Dolly Madison (morgue mama) and reporter Aubrey McGinty team up to uncover the truth. Their in investigation will lead them to a multitude of suspects, and the true killer. This book was great! The ending completely surprised me. I love Dolly's personality, she is awesome. I like how the author portrayed the killer as a real person, with feelings and understandable motives. I was able to empathize with the killer, even though I did no...more
Kris Kizer
what fun characters
Ladiibbug
* #1 in Morgue Mama mystery series *

Good cozy mystery, set in Ohio in a newspaper. "Morgue Mama" is 67 y/o Dolly Madison Sprouls, the paper's file archives maven.

Young, ambitious reporter Aubrey joins the paper. She stumbles onto clues in a TV evangelist's murder case that lead her and Morgue Mama to investigate whether the police & DA convicted the true murderer.

Great surprise ending!

Thanks CheesyGiraffe, for listing this book at G/R so we found out about it :-)
Deb
this was fun, a good twisty mystery. The "morgue mama" in question is 68-year-old head librarian of the archives/back files, i.e. the "morgue" of a small town newspaper. As we librarians know, research is necessary and and Dolly Madison Sprowl id the queen of the vertical file. The touch is light w/out being too fluffy and the story perks along. I am now reading the second book and enjoying that as well.
Ruth
Anastasia (Here There Be Books)
It did that thing at the end that I hate, where the narrator turns out to have been secretly unreliable and there's a huge infodump explaining HOW they were unreliable. Other than that, though, I liked it! Newspaper reporters and snarky librarians are always fun to read about.

Longer review to come.
colleen
i enjoyed this mystery. well-written, fast-paced and much of it takes place in my favorite locale, the newsroom. this is the first one with this character -- a divorced woman in her 60s who zealously guards her curmudgeonly reputation.
Jenn
Jan 09, 2011 Jenn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
A quick read. Interesting twists. I like that the author leaves the reader out of the loop (we don't see the protagonist really getting the details...just an overview) but gives us enough to make us think in the right direction.
Susie
Much of this book is the set up - identify and describing the characters who will surface in subsequent Morgue Mama books. It was a fast read with a surprise twist at the end.
I thought the "plot twist" simultaneously predictable and far-fetched. But I liked the "morgue mama" character and would read others in the series.
Carol
I learned there is life after romance--morge mama is a fiesty older woman-working in a young person's world-but she does way more than survive!
Carrie
This was a good mystery. I loved the twist at the end. Can't wait to get my hands on the second in the series.
Shannon
Very cute and even a bit surprising. The perfect easy read for summer or a weekend.
night music -- bring on the clowns ♫
Had to laugh about the title after the surprising ending to a good puzzle.
Elly Wendy
might be ok to read but the audiobook main character voice failed badly.
Sharon Davies
good, and an interesting twist at the end
Tammi
Great new series for me to read.
Louise
First book I have found set in Ohio.
Vickie
Super story!! Looking for more!
Pam
Dec 15, 2007 Pam marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystery, ohio
12/15/07 rec via poison press book club
Linda Marye
Linda Marye marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Terisa De Morgan
Terisa De Morgan marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Marisa
Marisa marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Katherine Byrd
Katherine Byrd marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Unraveling of Violeta Bell: A Morgue Mama Mystery (Morgue Mama Mysteries) Dig: A Morgue Mama Mystery Morgue Mama: A Morgue Mama Mystery (Morgue Mama Mysteries)