Start by marking “Best Little Stories from the Civil War: More Than 100 True Stories” as Want to Read:
Best Little Stories from the Civil War: More Than 100 True Stories

Best Little Stories from the Civil War: More Than 100 True Stories (Best Little Stories From...)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  268 ratings  ·  29 reviews
"This fascinating book will make the Civil War come alive with thoughts and feelings of real people." The Midwest Book Review

The Civil WAR You Never Knew...
Behind the bloody battles, strategic marches, and decorated generals lie more than 100 intensely personal, true stories you haven't heard before. In Best Little Stories from the Civil War, soldiers describe their first
Published March 1st 2010 by Cumberland House Publishing (first published December 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Best Little Stories from the Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Little Stories from the Civil War

Chris
So let me say, I'm a Northerner. I'm from a long line of Northerners. Okay? I get the South feels differently about the Civil War. I get Sherman's March to the Sea isn't the March to the Sea if you are from the South.

I get it.

This book is for Southerners, not Northerners. The writing is good, but in close to half of the book all the stories about good soliders are all stories about the Greys. All the stories about bad soliders are about the Blues. There is some type of double standard going on h
Lizabeth Tucker
Over 100 little stories of unusual events, strange happenings, and wonderful moments from the Civil War. The focus is on the human story, from soldiers and sailors to slaves and civilians.

I love the "Best Little Stories" collections. Lots of history in small digestible bites. But it isn't all cold facts and funny stories, it is pain and sadness and tragedy. And incredible waste. More Americans, North and South, were killed in this conflict than any other one we've been involved in since. More th
Rex
I like a book like this because you can dip in, read a few stories, and then come back to it again later. While you're reading other novel-length books.

I mean, if you already know how the Civil War turned out .... (ha)

Becky Hirtzel
Another free book on my kindle! I really enjoyed these true stories, some about famous people and some about everyday folks I'd never heard of before. Really brings history to life.
Dale
This is a review of the 3rd edition, released by Cumberland House in 2010. The 1st edition was released in 1994. The 2nd edition was released in 1998.

When I read Civil War histories I enjoy the standard, sweeping re-telling of the tale with the battles and the politics. But, I also enjoy those little nuggets of history that make the larger story more personal - stories like the general who chastised his men for hiding from a sniper and then immediately gets hit by that sniper and falls over dead
Isaiah
“Best little stories form the Civial War.” by C. Brian Kelly, the Theme was to tell all the stories from the Civial War. The characters explaned different sittuations from the Civial War such as the battles during the Civial War. Also some of the stories tell tales of slavery and also other things. All the stories together tell that tale of the Cival War and the people who where there.
I wouldnt really recommend the book unless they liked to read boreing stories of the Cival War and the people w
BonSue Brandvik
In his book, "Best Little Stories of the Civil War," C. Brian Kelly uses letters, quotes and journal entries of politicians, military leaders and their families/friends to create short vignettes that carry the reader from the beginning to the end of the Civil War in a very personal manner.

Although the short stories appear in chronological order, Kelly bounces back and forth between Union and Confederate perspectives, providing a fascinating and enlightening look at the War from both points of v
Maggie
This book is filled with short pieces about events or people during the Civil War. Because I've read several books on the Civil War some of them were familar to me, but many were not. It was interesting to learn a little more about the backgrounds of some of the key officers which I hadn't known and probably wouldn't have learned without reading a biography of that figure. As always when dealing with the Civil War, many of the events were sad.
Jim
A rather inconsistent volume of short little-known stories and digest versions of information better presented in other books. The material on Lincoln and his wife wasn't anything a student of Lincoln might find interesting. A section on Mrs. Davis was pretty good as I didn't know much about her to begin with. This book felt a bit like a sequel, which it is, and like most sequels, it lacked energy. Nonetheless, the smaller stories about some of the other characters managed to balance the book ou ...more
Stella
A *very* basic introduction to the US Civil War. While I'm fairly sure this is written for middle-schoolers, it's really a cliff-notes-esque packaging of a long and complicated history. As an introduction to the subject matter, it spoon-feeds you stories through first hand quotes, legislative record, and newspaper articles which hopefully can serve as a gateway to history books with more depth and complexity. I finished this in about 2 days with much interruption.
This is an interesting addition to our history books. The author was able to compile letters and other stories of the Civil War generals and heroes together to compile this book. It was a gruesome war and hopefully will never happen again on American soil. There were a few new stories that I hadn't heard before, but for the most part these are well read. Did enjoy the stories of the first ladies, Mary Todd Lincoln and Mrs. Grant.
Barry
Although an Australian I find the American Civil War of great interest. Such an important event in that nations history but at the same time so full of sadness. This book gives the human touch to the conflict and contains accounts from the ordinary soldiers to the generals and presidents as well as their wives. This book is a worthwhile introduction to this historical event.
Sherry Hays
Nice little book of tidbits. I enjoyed reading stories that were outside the normal ones presented about the Civil War. I got a few new insights from the book, but overall, it was not as interesting as I would have liked it to have been. I wasn't riveted or engrossed -- it was just a bit of light reading.
Jerry
Short stories about all aspects of The Civil War. These little tidbits of the war were very enjoyable. Stories about both presidents Lincoln, Davis, and their wives. Little nuggets about Grant and Lee and the rest of the war-time personalities of the conflict. All in all a very well thought out book.
Kathi Olsen
I'd probably give this a 3 1/2 star rating. Some sections of the book were far more readable than others, but some really good stories were in this book and I would really recommend it to anyone who likes history or the "Civil War" in particular.
Shannon
This was not really all that entertaining. Lots of info but very dry. So 1 star is for the info given. Another star is for the ending chapters on Varina Davis and Mary Todd Lincoln. These were very informative and not as dusty.
Lindsay
I can't profess to a great familiarity with the American Civil War (I get the names of the sides mixed up) and while I now now more of the details, it was hard to get a full picture from this book.
Andrea
Full of interesting stories. This book really gives the Civil War personality and character. Some of the stories are a little dry but you will like this book if you like war history.
Valerie
This was a fun read...covered the whole Civil War from both sides...lots of personal stories from well known people to the everyday people!
Jean
There are some interesting historical facts and a lot of trivia in this lengthy collection of Civil-War stories.
Montanasmith
Downloaded this to my Kindle for free and then saw it on Amazon 2 days later listed for 9.99 - gotta love it : )
Mike Corgan
Great collection of Civil War stories. Great insight into the lives that were part of the War.
Frank Shedd
very good
short stories about civil war
best is the tale of Mary Todd Lincoln
Jeanne
I expected more personal anecdotes and not a history lesson. Gave up at 15%
Jeff
Nice little vignettes to read in a quick seating.
Juliemae
Could not finish this book. No idea why.
Rhonda
I was up last night and read four of them.
Tony
A good read. Worth the $1.60 price tag.
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
  • Hitler's Pre-Emptive War: The Battle for Norway, 1940
  • Admit One: My Life in Film
  • City of Dust: Illness, Arrogance, and 9/11
  • Two Wars: One Hero's Fight on Two Fronts--Abroad and Within
  • 101 Things You Didn't Know about Irish History: The People, Places, Culture, and Tradition of the Emerald Isle
  • Einstein's Refrigerator and Other Stories from the Flip Side of History
  • Beyond All Price
  • The Highest Stakes
  • All for the Union: The Civil War Diary & Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes
  • Stealing Secrets: How a Few Daring Women Deceived Generals, Impacted Battles, and Altered the Course of the Civil War
  • 2:46: Aftershocks: Stories from the Japan Earthquake
  • Their Last Suppers: Legends of History and Their Final Meals
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and Science: How to Sort through the Noise Around Global Warming, the Latest Health Claims, and Other Scientific Controversies
  • No Better Place to Die: Ste. Mere-Eglise, June 1944: The Battle for La Fiere Bridge
  • Sarah Morgan: The Civil War Diary Of A Southern Woman
  • Ravenous: A Food Lover's Journey from Obsession to Freedom
  • Face the Winter Naked
  • Seward: Lincoln's Indispensable Man
C. BRIAN KELLY, a prize-winning journalist, is president and founder of Montpelier Publishing and a columnist and editor emeritus for Military History magazine. He also is a lecturer in newswriting at the University of Virginia. Kelly's articles have appeared in Reader's Digest, Friends, Yankee, Rod Serling's Twilight Zone, and other magazines, and he is the author of several books on American his ...more
More about C. Brian Kelly...

Best Little Stories From... (7 books)
  • Best Little Stories from Virginia
  • Best Little Stories from the White House
  • Best Little Stories from the American Revolution
  • Best Little Stories of the Wild West
  • Best Little Stories from American History
  • Best Little Stories from World War II
Best Little Stories from the White House Best Little Stories from the American Revolution Best Little Stories from World War II Best Little Ironies, Oddities & Mysteries of the Civil War Best Little Stories of Winston Churchill

“Of his first enemy encounter, Gen. Grant said that after his initial fear, "My heart resumed its place." Grant said he suddenly realized his potential enemy he had been "as much afraid of me as I had been of him.” 0 likes