Nocover-blank-133x176
Midnight Rain

James Newman

Midnight Rain

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Do you remember the exact moment your childhood ended?

1979. Jimmy Carter is elected America's 39th President. New York police apprehend the "Son of Sam," and the King of Rock n' Roll has permanently left the building. In a town called Midnight, North Carolina, twelve-year-old Kyle Mackey couldn't care less about any of that. He has his own problems to deal with, as he vent...more
Published (first published August 3rd 2004)

Trev Twinem
Where do I begin to talk about a book that I thought was magnificent and that brought with it such colourful and personal memories of childhood. For a short time I rode with Kyle Mackey on this trusty bike "Burner" (mum and dad would not allow him a dog) and I felt his pain as the world of a young 12 year old boy collapsed and all his dearest and trusted friends betrayed him...where does a young mind go when trust and truth no longer exist?
One day in August of 77 Kyle Mackey witnessed an event t...more
Jon Recluse
A dark coming of age story that fans of McCammon's Boy's Life will enjoy without feeling like they've read it all before, as Newman's voice is uniquely his own. This is my first encounter with this author, and I look forward to reading more by him.
Charlene
This was a coming of age tale that was compared to Boy's Life on the cover. That's a bold statement.

A young boy, Kyle, witnesses a murder. ( Very Boy's Life-ish so far.) " Do you remember the exact moment when your childhood ended? I do."

So begins the mystery and the rain. This is a fine tale of growing up the hard way. Kyle is discovering that all is not what it seems to be. Not the sheriff, not his mother, and not even his older brother, Dan. He's trying to do the right thing, but that isn't...more
Kimberly
A very emotionally compelling read of a 12 year-old boy who witnesses a murder in his small hometown. Comparisons have been made with McCammon's BOY'S LIFE, but this story has a feel all of its own. The repercussions and hidden things that come to light in the aftermath of this tragedy makes for a gripping tale, leaving you wondering just where the ride will take you next. Newman has a voice all of his own, and I anticipate reading more from him.

Recommended!
Bandit
This was a pretty good coming of age story. The strength of the book was mostly in the characters and the writing itself. Newman did a great job capturing the psyche of a scared 12 year old boy navigating the treacherous, murderous really, adult world of a small town in 1977. Plenty of cultural references to set the mood and only minor editing/spelling errors. Very quick read. Recommended.
Courtney
Kyle is coming of age in a small southern town. He's right on the edge of boyhood, about to take the plunge into the scary morass of puberty. He idolizes his older brother, Daniel, and struggles with his mother and her alcoholism. One fateful night, as he's visiting his secret place in the woods, his bastion of childhood is forever sullied by the terrible event he witnesses. Who can he trust? What can he do?

Kyle must wrestle with his desire to hold onto his childhood and his desire to do the rig...more
Bill
Childhood lost. The town of Midnight has an evil lurking beneath the surface and it's fate rests in the hands of a twelve year old boy. An engaging tale of tragedy in a small town. James Newman kicks out yet another winner with Midnight Rain. Solid 4+ Stars! Highly Recommended!
Sheri White
Awesome book! A young boy witnesses a murder and is at a loss what to do when he sees who the murderer is. As he realizes nobody can help him, he desperately tries to find a way to make things right.

Definitely a page-turner!
Jason Brannon
This is one of my favorite coming-of-age books. Ranks right up there with McCammon's Boy's Life. Very edge-of-your seat. I rarely re-read books but this is one that I'll go back to every now and then. Great stuff.
David Agranoff
Been a few years since I read this, but i remember it being a great coming of age horror novel in the same vein as Clegg's neverland, King's the body or McCammon's Boy's life. Set in the 70's this is a great horror mystery.
Kevin Lucia
Excellent little coming of age tale. Smooth prose, an endearing, believable voice - read a lot like "Boy's Life" darker, little brother...
Noigeloverlord
Fantastic story,great characters. Sucks you in on the 1st page and holds you there to the last.
Fredstrong
Not deserving of the reviews I have read here, but not a bad book
Jared Sandman
Newman's first novel and the only one (so far) to get a mass market release. The author isn't very prolific, but every book he publishes is worth the wait. This is my favorite of his novels, a touching coming-of-age tale set against the backdrop of a murder mystery. Certainly echoes of McCammon's Boy's Life in this one, which I'm a sucker for.
Mark
Whilst it's nicely written, I found very little to be impressed about with this.
Kasia
Kasia marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Katerina
Katerina marked it as to-read
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Natasa
Natasa marked it as to-read
Joel Donald
Joel Donald marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
bryan orr
bryan orr marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Willowblue
Willowblue marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Ks
Ks added it
Feb 23, 2014
Edward Lorn
Edward Lorn marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Jjah
Jjah marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
C.V. Hunt
C.V. Hunt marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Kelly Truelove
Kelly Truelove marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013