Start by marking “The Winner-Take-All Society: Why the Few at the Top Get So Much More Than the Rest of Us” as Want to Read:

Disney chairman Michael Eisner topped the 1993 Business Week chart of America's highest-paid executives, his $203 million in earnings roughly 10,000 times that of the lowest paid Disney employee.During the last two decades, the top one percent of U.S. earners captured more than 40 percent of the country's total earnings growth, one of the largest shifts any society has end ...more
Published September 1st 1996 by Penguin Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Winner-Take-All Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winner-Take-All Society

Eric_W
Dec 28, 2008 Eric_W rated it really liked it
Shelves: current-affairs
Robert Frank and Philip J. Cook have written a most interesting book that explains why the salary of a typical American executive today is 120 times that of the average manufacturing worker when it was 35 times that in 1974; why "the incomes of the top 1 percent more than doubled in real terms between 1979 and 1989, a period during which the median income was roughly stable and in which the bottom 20 percent saw their income actually fall by 10 percent."

The authors reject the arguments that the
Doc Opp
Apr 28, 2008 Doc Opp rated it really liked it
Mark Oppenlander
I hesitate to call something "important." Like many adjectives in our sensationalized media-circus of a world, I think that the word "important" has been overused. However, I don't think I can get away without using that term here. This book really draws attention to some concepts that we should all be aware of and that we should all probably still be talking about, even though the book first came out in 1995.

I found this title on a list of "best business books" provided to me by a colleague. Bu
Scott Ford
Feb 06, 2010 Scott Ford rated it liked it
Shelves: economics
What's the adage: Go with the number two guy, 'cause he'll work harder than number one. The authors do good work in discussing weaknesses in a unregulated economy.
Estelle
Mar 14, 2017 Estelle rated it really liked it
Even a fair amount of examples used in this book are too old, (like John Elway and Micheal Jordan), the book is full of insights.
Joseph
Dec 05, 2013 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book explores the age old prisoner's dilemma in many fields and how, if left unchecked, could lead to lose-lose situation. Relative performance vs absolute performance is the key.

however it's still very hard to change, given the inertia and payoff (from an individual perspective). I thought what could be discussed more is what an individual could possibly do in order to break away from this syndrome. And hopefully the effort will somehow snowball into noticeable change that can benefit soc
Edwin Seno
Oct 31, 2013 Edwin Seno rated it liked it
Recommends it for: John Seno
The authors have given an interesting outlook to winner-take-all markets that I've always thought reflected the intrinsic functioning of the human civilization. I am a firm believer in capitalism and free markets so initially, I adversely found the book 'Marxist' in nature. But as I read it, I opened up to the remedies offered for a more equitable society. I at times found the illustrations very out-dated but I understand the book was published in 1995. Anyway, a very good read for anyone with a ...more
John
Jul 27, 2011 John marked it as to-read
Standard economic theory tells us that free markets will efficiently balance supply and demand. But what if "supply" or "demand" are relative to the behavior of others in the market? Then the market outcome which is 'optimal' for each individual may not be optimal for scoiety as a whole. This book shows how, with a wide variety of examples.
Cyrus Carter
Jun 20, 2015 Cyrus Carter rated it really liked it
A very good and reasoned account of why we let the top people rake in such ludicrous amounts. Time to change ourselves a bit, perhaps?
John Hoag
Apr 27, 2009 John Hoag rated it liked it
A belated thank-you to Ed Rosenberg for recommending this
Lanmy
Mar 24, 2016 Lanmy rated it did not like it
Too lengthy and not straight to the point. The whole book can be cramped into an article from which I could get the author's idea way faster than going through all these pages.
Ed
Jul 31, 2008 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book 5 times. Although the thesis isn't new, its application to contemporary phenomena is illuminative.
Sean Chick
Oct 15, 2013 Sean Chick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the only books to address this issue in the 1990s. Now it is hot button issue. I wish it was better written but otherwise I liked it.
Fred R
Jan 05, 2011 Fred R rated it liked it
Interesting idea, and all the it gets stretched pretty thin. More evidence and less speculation would have helped.
Stanley Lee
Sep 09, 2014 Stanley Lee rated it really liked it
Informative statistics. Applicable for 2014 even though it's published in 1995.
Ian
Ian rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2011
Billie
Billie rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2015
Carlos Castillo
Carlos Castillo rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2014
André
André rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2012
Alan Cook
Alan Cook rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2015
Harald
Harald rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2013
d
d rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2015
Taylor Kirk
Taylor Kirk rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2011
Robert
Robert rated it it was ok
Nov 05, 2008
Adil
Adil rated it it was ok
May 30, 2014
Ramon Leon
Ramon Leon rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Bryan
Bryan rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Ali Amin
Ali Amin rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2014
Ichlasul Amal
Ichlasul Amal rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • One World Ready or Not: The Manic Logic of Global Capitalism
  • Overcoming Anxiety for Dummies
  • Voices of Freedom: An Oral History of the Civil Rights Movement from the 1950s through the 1980s
  • Only the Ball Was White: A History of Legendary Black Players and All-Black Professional Teams
  • Bloods: An Oral History of the Vietnam War by Black Veterans
  • Equality and Efficiency: The Big Tradeoff
  • Oh No She Didn't: The Top 100 Style Mistakes Women Make and How to Avoid Them
  • The Predator State: How Conservatives Abandoned the Free Market and Why Liberals Should Too
  • Flux: Women on Sex, Work, Love, Kids, and Life in a Half-Changed World
  • The New Industrial State
  • The Great Disruption: Human Nature and the Reconstitution of Social Order
  • The Shifts and the Shocks: How the Financial Crisis Has Changed Our Future
  • Habits of the Heart: Individualism and Commitment in American Life
Robert H. Frank is the Henrietta Johnson Louis Professor of Management and a Professor of Economics at Cornell University's S.C. Johnson Graduate School of Management. He contributes to the "Economic View" column, which appears every fifth Sunday in The New York Times.
More about Robert H. Frank...