Start by marking “Assassin's Creed: The Secret Crusade” as Want to Read:
Assassin's Creed: The Secret Crusade

Assassin's Creed: The Secret Crusade (Assassin's Creed #3)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  4,158 Ratings  ·  251 Reviews
After his family was betrayed and disgraced by the most powerful families in Italy, young Erazo chose the path of vengeance-and entered a world of mysticism and murder beyond anything he could have imagined. But his quest is far form over...
Published June 1st 2011 by Ace Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Assassin's Creed, please sign up.

Joy Yes. You can find it on GooglePlay store, under Books and i'm sure you can find it in the Apple Store app too

Aug 03, 2011 Merm rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After the surprisingly good Assassin's Creed Renaissance and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood novelizations, I was severely disappointed by this latest installment of the Assassin's Creed Books.

As it was centered on Altair, I was looking forwards to reading about him. But this book was dire.

With Oliver Bowden's previous adaptations, I sometimes forgot I was reading a game novel, as it felt almost like a historical novel. This was achieved mostly because he did. His. Research.

However, with this bo
Sarah Schanze
This was fun, plain and simple. A good chunk of the story just retells the events that occurred in the first Assassin's Creed game, but there were just as many parts that were new to me. It's obvious they wrote this to fill in gaps for people who haven't played the first game but perhaps did play the later ones, and it saves the reader/wannabe-player the trouble of slogging through a mostly tedious game (also Altair's kinda horrible voice actor). I still liked the game a lot but only played it f ...more
Cj W
Sep 14, 2011 Cj W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based on the popular video game from UBISOFT

Back Cover Description:
" Altair Embarks on a fromidable mission - One that takes him throughout the Holy Land and shows him the true meanind of the Assassins's Creed. To demonstrate his commitment Altair must defeat nine deadly enemies, including Templar leader Robert de Sable.

Altair's life story is told here for the first time: a journey that will change the course of history; his ongoing battle with the Templar Conspiracy; and the ultimate betrayal
Verana Vacchiano
Nothing extraordinary about the writing or the story. It's strictly for fans of the game only, because the writing is just blatant and unremarkable. Read it only if you want a clear story of Altair.
This novel isn't the best written work in the history of literature, but I found it fun to read a novelisation of the games, and one which teased out more of Altaïr's past. If you're interested in the Assassin's Creed games for their plot, this might interest you, even if you don't want to or can't play the games. It doesn't include the Desmond frame story, but it brings together all the threads about Altaïr in one book, which makes it a smoother learning experience than playing the games.

Anna R
Jul 18, 2015 Anna R rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a1read
Książka przedstawia życie Altaira, Assassyna żyjacego w XIII wieku. Fani serii gier komputerowych mają okazję poznać kolejne szczegóły z życia bohatera, ale powieść razi schematycznością, zwłaszcza na początku. Ma się wręcz wrażenie, że mamy do czynienia z zapisem przebiegu misji w grze- szybki opis ofiary, zabjstwo, powrót do mistrza i znowu to samo.
O wiele lepiej prezentują się wcześniejsze książki Bowdena o Ezio. W odbiorze 'Tajemnej krucjaty' nie pomaga niechlujna korekta i tłumaczenie. Mom
No words can describe my feelings for this book. Mainly because it is Assassin's Creed for goodness sake. I love the game so much. And I really, honestly, doubt on reading it due to recent reviews on this book which I still don't understand. This book is good. The story is amazing. Altair is amazing. He is such a good role model.

I have to admit that, yes, it was followed exactly from the video game. And partly that's what makes it so nice too. Because I fangirl a lot to the video game and I lik
Jul 02, 2012 Mateusz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this game, I love this story, I love this book. I've been a fan of the Assassin's Creed franchise since playing the first game.

This is the third Assassin's Creed novel by Oliver Bowden but chronologically, timeline and game release wise, it comes first. Readers are not disadvantaged at all if they have not read the first two novels.

This novel is extremely faithful to the source material, it is clear Bowden worked closely with Ubisoft Montreal as most of the dialog is word perfect when com
Feb 21, 2014 Xander rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally rated this book 4/5 but, after having some time to think through it, I've re-rated it 3/5 and I'll explain why.

While this is a fantastic adaptation from, I'll admit, a pretty decent game, there was one major flaw in Oliver Bowden's writing. But let's get the good stuff out of the way first.

The storyline is absolutely incredible. It's an adventure in the life of an assassin as he uncovers a conspiracy surrounding the ancient order of the Templars and secrets within his own temple. Th
Sep 12, 2012 Breton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's very difficult to review this book because it's like three books in one, separated only by 'parts'. To be fair, I will review each part individually.

Part 1: The first part follows the events of the first Assassin's Creed game, and much like 'Halo: The Flood', it doesn't work. Bowden is forced to adhere too closely to what happens in the game that he has virtually no freedom here.

Part 2: The second part was a bit better. I didn't play the game that it was written for, so I can't vouch for
Sep 17, 2012 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Неразказаната история на Алтаир – Върховния учител асасин.
Това мото краси корицата на книгата. Ще започна с това, че съм силно впечатлена от факта, че както на английски, така и на български кориците са едни и същи. А още повече ме впечатли това, че за самата направа на кориците са използвали реални снимки, картинки и кадри от играта.

Всички знаем, че Орденът на Асасините е популярна компютърна игра създадена от Ubisoft, която бързо набра популярност у нас. Дори аз съм запленена от играта, а то
Dec 01, 2012 Alex rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just didn't feel like it contributed anything. It felt like the author played the game and transcribed what happened on the screen. But with less depth. It felt so much emptier than the game, and... it shouldn't have. It should have added so much more. There's such a unique opportunity to add so much depth to Altaïr, to really throw the reader into a fantastic historical portrayal, to use so many literary references and allusions to Alamut, to have these striking descriptions of Damascus, Acre ...more
Jun 13, 2013 Kame-nyan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is what the game needs. More plot points. And here they are, beautifully wrapped in a single book. The Creed books are a great asset to the game indeed. They nicely summarise the cutscenes and the story, and present the missing links.
This book in particular shows what we did not know about the Great Master - Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad. He becomes much more relatable because of this, since the game does not bother to give much of character's backstory.
It is always nice to become more acquainted wi
Dec 09, 2013 Jubchili rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS is the most AMAZING ADAPTATION EVER!!!!!!!!!! I've never read a game adaptation before. I started one of the HALO adapts, but I haven't played the game, so I had no clue what to expect. Anyways I never got around to finishing it.

Anyways - This book deserves a total 5/5. The only reason I give it a 4 is because of the ending. It was quite sudden how it ended and I wished that Altair's and Maria's relationship was explored a little bit more - although I assumed from the beginning that they'd
Soma Al-Dossary
Apr 05, 2014 Soma Al-Dossary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based on the ubisoft video game: Assassin's Creed.

This review contains a lot of spoilers. DO NOT continue if you want to read the book

The story was told by Niccolo Polo about the Assassin: Altair Ibn-La'Ahad.
Altair was given an important task by Al Mualim (Master of Assassins). Accompanied by Malik and his brother Kadar, he was supposed to retrieve a treasure from Solomon's Temple and bring it back to Al Mualim. He was faced with Robert de Sable (a Templar and an enemy) and his ego and over c
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Secret Crusade (Assassin’s Creed #3), Oliver Bowden
عنوان: فرقه اسسین ها کتاب سوم: نهضت مخفی؛ نویسنده: اولیور باودن؛ مترجم: بهنام حاجی زاده؛ تهران، آذرباد، 1393، در ؟؟ ص؛ شابک: 9786006225524؛
گروه مترجمین مجموعه: امیر قربان، فرزین لازمیزاده، خشایار خلیلیان، کیانا حاجدولت، بهراد بهروان
Looking forward to reading this any minute now.

And it all starts with this amazing man...

photo Assassins-Creed-Altair-Wallpaper_zps80cijaan.jpg
Dorian de Jandreau
This is the whole story of Altair. First half of a book is telling story of first Assassin's Creed video game. The second part of the book tells story of Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines video games.... But alas, this game is ONLY for Play Station- so I will never be able to play it.... But at least I could read the story, so it makes me happy even if I can't play that game.

To whom who say this book is so bloody and cruel: PEOPLE, it's called Assassin's Creed!!! It's supposed to be bloody!! Besides
Jan 04, 2015 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Assassins creed: the secret crusade

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Assassins creed: the secret crusade is one of the first book in its series. Also, telling the tale of the first master Assassin ever introduced-Altair Ibn-La'Ahad. After his father's death, Altair was raised to be an master assassin. But in spite of all his glorious victories, Altair failed his most important mission, and got demoted by his master. His master then gave him a chance for redemption. He gave Altair nine
Jun 12, 2015 Clare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 out of 5 stars.

This book was so much freaking fun! I am not even joking - this is the first novel in the series to cast some improvement! After the downward spiral that was Brotherhood, going into this one I gave myself a very low expectation. I was expecting spelling mistakes, poor grammar and everything else that had made Brotherhood worse than Renaissance - but I was astounded by the difference in this tale.

There were a few minor grammatical errors, but not as many as there were in Brotherh
Mar 06, 2016 Kasey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What sets this book above the first two is the complexity of the characters and their relationships. They are more relatable because they experience real things (betrayal, hesitance, confusion, epiphanies, & the act of aging) in more realistic ways and doses. It was also much more well written, though I still have a problem with Bowden's grammar and structure.
Mel Tsepa
Jul 11, 2015 Mel Tsepa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having played the asssassin's creed videogames and being a huge fangirl myself I thought that it was FANTASTIC. When the book was over I had a full perspective of the story which by playing the videogame I lost due to my focus to the goals. I have not read the other books, so I thought that this one was the first due to it's name, as it talks about Altair the protagonist of the first video game. Assassin's creed. I would for sure recommend this to anyone interested into fantasy and history as it ...more
Oct 02, 2015 Kira rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
My son loves Assassin's creed and has three of these books. I wanted to see why he liked them so much. This one is filled with nothing but death. The plotline could have been a lot stronger; the makings of a great book were hidden in there.

What I hated about this book, was the fact that people were dying with slashed throats, stabbed in the chest, but they had plenty of time to lay out all their dastardly plans before they finally succumbed to their wounds. And there was a lot of: he died. The
Aug 23, 2016 Ronnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Took me a while. Unfortunately I had to force myself to finish this story. As much as I was excited about the plot line, Bowden's writing style made me dread the story and hope for an end. I will not be reading the rest of the books by this author. Sorry. I'll just stick to the games.
Zaharia Mihai
Jul 02, 2016 Zaharia Mihai rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a joke
Hannah Heath
Jun 05, 2016 Hannah Heath rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Interesting story, poor writing. A good introduction to the world of the Assassin's Creed, though, so I'd say it's worth 3 stars as far as novelizations are concerned. Full review can be read at Constant Collectible.
Jul 26, 2016 Lucie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-czech, 2016
Enjoyable but not catchy. Renaissance is still the best one from this series.

And really needs to be all the names so similar?
The life and times of Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad, original protagonist of the Assassin's Creed video game series. The majority of the novel details the events of the first game, set during the Third Crusade in 1191 as Altaïr goes from arrogant ignorer of his Order's Creed to wise Master Assassin as he pieces together the puzzle of his given Templar targets and uncovers a conspiracy surrounding an ancient artifact left behind by a lost civilization. (view spoiler) ...more
So I had to screen this book for a pre-teen. If anyone else wants to know whether their kid can read it -

Not too shabby on the historical front (but I am coming off the orientalist claptrap Moghul so I may be being generous.) An inaccuracy was pointed out in Merm's review, so you might want to heads up your kid on that.

Being a story about an assassin who assassinates, naturally, there is a lot of violence. Altair goes about his business heartlessly, and there are heads rolling every few pages.

• The Invisible Imam (Assassin's Creed, #1)
  • Assassin's Creed: The Fall
  • Desmond (Assassin's Creed, #1)
  • Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth
  • Lord of Souls (The Elder Scrolls, #2)
  • Battlefield 3: The Russian
  • Fable: the Balverine Order
  • Coalition's End (Gears of War, #4)
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • Borderlands: Unconquered
  • Mass Effect: Deception (Mass Effect, #4)
  • The Art of Halo
  • Deus Ex: Icarus Effect
  • Devils' Due (StarCraft II, #2)
  • Mass Effect: Retribution (Mass Effect, #3)
  • Darksiders: The Abomination Vault
Anton Gill (aka Oliver Bowden) has been a full-time professional writer since 1984, and in the course of the last 27 years he has published 35 books. Gill was born in Ilford, Essex, the son of a German father and an English mother, and grew up in London. He is an acclaimed novelist and Renaissance historian currently living in Paris, France. Bowden has written novelizations of several of the Assas ...more
More about Oliver Bowden...

Assassin's Creed (8 books)
  • Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Assassin's Creed, #1)
  • Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Assassin's Creed, #2)
  • Assassin's Creed: Revelations (Assassin's Creed, #4)
  • Assassin's Creed: Forsaken (Assassin's Creed, #5)
  • Assassin's Creed: Black Flag (Assassin's Creed, #6)
  • Assassin's Creed: Unity (Assassin's Creed, #7)
  • Assassin's Creed: Underworld (Assassin's Creed, #8)

“Only a mind free of impediment is capable of grasping the chaotic beauty of the world. This is our greatest asset.” 28 likes
“It is not our right to punish one for thinking as he does, no matter how much we disagree.” 20 likes