Portable Planet

Portable Planet

4.78 of 5 stars 4.78  ·  rating details  ·  9 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The poems in Portable Planet touch on Shaffer’'s experiences on, around, and within the Pacific Rim, from California to Japan to Indonesia. The heart of the book is "The Western Room," a poem that presents glimpses of Okinawa by means of a tour of Shuri Castle, the newly-restored royal residence of the Ryukyu Kingdom. Portable Planet is essentially a book of poems that cel...more
Paperback
Published 2000 by Leaping Dog Press

To ask other readers questions about Portable Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portable Planet

Jordan
This book was so good I started a publishing house in order to put it between boards. It's a great, humane, humorous, readable book full of heart, travels, and deep considerations of place and environment around the Pacific Rim.
Sue
Oct 05, 2009 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
I thought I'd rate Paul's book 3 stars until I reached the 3rd section, the Japanese section,then I started really loving it. Great poetry collection with something for everyone from all parts of the world.
Eric Shaffer
Aug 18, 2008 Eric Shaffer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Portable Planet contains poems written during my eight years living on Okinawa.
Cornelia DeDona
A delightful voice--oozing talent!
Fireplacehaiku
Fireplacehaiku marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2012
Eric Shaffer
Aug 03, 2010 Eric Shaffer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Chelsea Arnott
Chelsea Arnott marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2009
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2008
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2008
Eric Paul Shaffer is the author of five books of poetry: Lāhaina Noon: Nā Mele O Maui (2005); Living at the Monastery, Working in the Kitchen (2001); Portable Planet (2000); RattleSnake Rider (1990); and Kindling: Poems from Two Poets (1988; with James Taylor III).

Three chapbooks of his poetry have been published: Restoring Lady Liberty (Obscure Publications, 2009), Road Sign Suite: Across America...more
More about Eric Paul Shaffer...
Lahaina Noon: Na Mele O Maui Poems Burn & Learn, Memoirs of the Cenozoic Era: A Novel Living at the Monastery, Working in the Kitchen: Poems RattleSnake Rider Kindling: Poems from Two Poets