Start by marking “Cole Porter” as Want to Read:
Cole Porter
Preview

Cole Porter

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In his life and in his music, Cole Porter was "the top"—the pinnacle of wit, sophistication, and success. His songs—"I Get a Kick Out of You," "Anything Goes," and hundreds more—were instant pop hits, and their musical and emotional depths have made them lasting standards.

William McBrien has captured the creator of these songs, whose life was not merely one of wealth and p
Published May 4th 2011 by Vintage (first published October 6th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Cole Porter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cole Porter

Margaret
I'm of two minds about this biography. On the one hand, it's clearly well-researched and tries to offer a well-rounded portrait of Porter, with all due respect for his musical and literary genius and sympathy for his personal issues (though less for his wife Linda, whom I felt didn't get enough space).

On the other hand, it's simply poorly written. The narrative flow is choppy and interspersed with irrelevant factoids. The prose is stilted and excessively formal, with formulations like "[t]hey qu
David
The very best bio of the great songwriter, and the only one who gets all the boyfriends mentioned.

A must read. Why? Well as Cole would say "You don't sing enough, you don't dance enough, you don't drink the great wines of France enough. You're not wild enough, you're not gay enough, you don't let me lead you astray enough."
Cathy Day
If you love Cole Porter, read this book alongside George Eells THE LIFE THAT LATE HE LED. McBrien's biography is incredibly thorough; he tracked down many, many people who knew Cole. Eells, however, was friends with Cole, and it shows in his biography, published shortly after Cole's death. The problem, of course, is that Eells never mentions that his subject was gay. Twenty years later, McBrien's book fills in that gap (and a few others) in wonderfully readable ways.
Thomas Armstrong
I enjoyed this biography of Cole Porter. It was a fun read, vicariously living his sophisticated, urbane, cosmopolitan life along with all his eminent and eccentric friends. Call me naive, but I didn't know he was homosexual and that his marriage was a non-sexual union. Porter seemed to enjoy his gay lifestyle, but it must have been very trying to have to separate that life from his public and marriage life. I picked up the book because I've enjoyed his songs, especially Begin the Beguine (mysti ...more
Demi
Very helpful for someone who wanted to know the true Cole - not just the man of De-Lovely. Learned much about his life both with his male lovers and his wife, Linda, as well as the success of his music, his relationships with his colleagues, and above all, the incessant and endearing dandyism that went along with his clever personality.

Truly engaging.
Michael Armijo
This is simply a ride down memory lane.

I was more curious about Cole Porter's life because I, too, am in love with the lyrics and music he created. Songs like ANYTHING GOES, YOU'RE THE TOP, I LOVE PARIS to name a few are classics to no end. I like a book that takes me back in time, but I'd prefer a good story. I was a bit disappointed how the book became too informational with naming of who's who and who did what vs. a classic story. There are definitely stories behind the stories that would be
David
I can't put my finger on what's lacking from this biography. The language isn't particularly noteworthy but it's good enough. Maybe it's Cole Porter himself: a very talented rich guy who wrote some of the most popular and memorable songs in the English language -- a great entertainer, which is an extremely valuable thing, but mostly he devoted himself to enjoying himself, partying and living the high life, a number of doomed love affairs, a snob who was also very generous to his friends, a homos ...more
Chris
This is an interesting biography of Cole Porter; arguably the definitive one: well-researched and authoritative. While McBrien does a good job of detailing Porter's lifestyle and explaining his loving but sexless marriage, you learn little about the approach Porter took to songwriting or about his historical importance as a composer.
Jill Hutchinson
I'm not sure why I didn't particularly like this book. I am interested in Porter and his music......wonderful songs which have become a part of American popular music history and are still enjoyed today. But, the book did not keep my attention.....was it the writing style, the overuse of lyrics in the text, the not-very likable persona of the subject?.....I don't know but I was disappointed. There was an overabundance of people in Porter's life and they are all here....some you know, some you do ...more
KJ
On the plus side, any biography of one of America's finest songwriters has to be worth a read and McBrien has the advantage of being able to reveal what was previously hidden about Porter's life, i.e. his pool parties and numerous homosexual liaisons.

On the minus side, McBrien's style is truly NOT a thing of beauty. Using absurd archaisms like 'cicerone', he writes like an elderly opera queen on a spree.
Ronald
Excellent in-depth narrative of his life.
Susan
He is my favorite musical composer. I read this book to learn more about his life and work. I thought this was a good biography of a man who led a very complicated life, but at the same time created AWESOME musical theatre.
Barbara
I enjoyed learning more about Cole Porter and his life, music, and lyrics. I felt that the book moved a little slow sometimes, but overall if you're a fan of Porter's work, an interesting read.
Shawn Thrasher
I finished this one, but I'm not sure why. Cole Porter's life was interesting; I think the hints of gay sex and orgies kept me reading. The author is an awful name dropper.
Joel
Interesting book though waay too much name dropping of those in the elite circles Porter frequented.
Claudia
Very dry look at Cole Porter's life & work.
Jesse Bornemann
i heart cole
Nick Bolet
Nick Bolet marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Laura Miller
Laura Miller marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Vince
Vince marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Pamela Bourque
Pamela Bourque marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
  • Lost Highway: Journeys and Arrivals of American Musicians
  • Bing Crosby: A Pocketful of Dreams - The Early Years 1903 - 1940
  • Howard Hughes: The Secret Life
  • Django: The Life and Music of a Gypsy Legend
  • The Shakespeare Riots: Revenge, Drama, and Death in Nineteenth-Century America
  • Fela: This Bitch of a Life
Me Again: Uncollected Writings of Stevie Smith Stevie: A Biography of Stevie Smith Stevie Smith: A Bibliography